• Published 15th Dec 2017
  • 14,077 Views, 779 Comments

Sunset Among Shadows - RedPegasus



Because of Anon-A-Miss Sunset is abandoned by everyone, so she decides to start a new life, among shadows, she will seek happiness, but what will happen with the magic of friendship?

  • ...
47
 779
 14,077

One Decision

Author's Note:

Hello, good morning, afternoons, or evenings.

Before you read this, I must highlight something important. I HAVE NOT read the Anon-A-Miss comic, I only know the history and the end of it, so it is sure that there are details that do not fit the comic, please keep it in mind.

Thanks to Madox, for writing corrections

"Liar"

"False friend"

"Traitor"

"Demon"

Those are just some of the words of contempt that haunt the mind of Sunset Shimmer.

The fire-haired girl sits on her bed with her back stooped and her head down. Her hands cover her face while she listens to the sound of her cell phone, indicating more and more messages coming from the whole school.

How did this happen? A few weeks ago, everything was perfect in her life. She had friends, she was loved in the whole school, she had finally overcome that doubt and fear that her conscience carried since that autumn night. But then, one night, she went to sleep loved and appreciated, and when she woke up the next morning... everyone hated her.

Her phone does not stop ringing, but she does not bother to take it. She knows what those messages say: more and more signs of the hatred of the whole school.

Why? That was all she could ask herself. Why did everyone despise her and assault her all of a sudden? But the truth was... she knew the answer...

"Anon-A-Miss"

Such a simple name, only three tiny words. Nobody could ever expect that those three sounds, put together, could destroy a whole life.

She looks up, dried tear tracks on her cheeks, her eyes, reddened and completely dry, unable to produce more tears. She looks at the phone on her bed, still notifying her of new messages.

A sob escapes, and she wipes her face with her arm.

Unable to withstand the endless pinging from the phone, she takes it and angrily throws it at the wall. She hears the bang of the impact and the sound of the pieces of plastic clattering to the floor, and finally, silence... Her ears can finally rest.

She takes a deep breath and starts trembling.

The auditory torture finally ended, but nothing will save her tormented mind.

She stands up and walks to her bathroom. Letting the water run, she fills her hands and launches the liquid into her face. Raising her head, she looks into the mirror.

There, she sees a young woman... No, she used to be a young woman. A beautiful, strong, intelligent young woman. Now, she is a tangle of tears, grief, pain and confusion.

Even her friends, those who had come to know her, to love her, have turned their back on her. They accused her of something she did not do and left her...

'Why?'she asks herself again and again.'Why would someone do this to me? A few months ago, I would have understood, but now...'

She thought that the school had accepted her. She thought that she had made friends. She thought... that they loved her...

But they accused her, they rejected her, they abandoned her... She did not have friends, she never had...

"It was all a lie..."

*S*A*S*

The sun shines upon a new day, and while the winter wind is blowing calmly, it is still enough to force people to bundle up.

The moment the Equestrian girl arrives at school, she is immediately attacked by the looks, the same ones she had received the last few weeks.

But today, they have no effect on her. She ignores them and walks through the corridors.

More than one push and shoulder bump welcome her to the school, and her gaze quickly becomes poisonous as she endures them.

She finally arrives at her locker and prepares for her first class, but when she turns to leave, she feels a shove on her back that makes her fall and release her notebooks. From the floor, she turns around to see her attacker. Sandalwood stands over her and glares at her.

"Watch where you're going, you idiot!"he snaps.

Sandalwood leaves after saying that, but Sunset can see how his face changed to a smile of satisfaction. This makes her patience run out. Before he can react, he is whipped violently against the lockers. He looks up to see a pair of emerald eyes bathed in anger.

"Say that again,"Sunset says in a voice as cold as her gaze.

Sandalwood does not answer. His eyes are fixed on hers in fear.

Those eyes. He had seen those eyes before.

"Say. That.Again!"

He begins to tremble as he remembers this scene from months ago. The memories do nothing but heighten his fear of the look the former bully is directing at him.

"Come on! What's wrong with you?! You were so brave a moment ago! What happened?!"

There is still no response. The girl, seeing his pathetic expression, chooses to give him one more push against the lockers before she moves away from him.

She returns to pick up her things and notices how everyone in the hall is looking at her. The hate is gone. Instead, their eyes display amazement, and fear...

Once again, she ignores them and walks to her class. There are no more pushes or shoves. In fact, many move out of her way.

*S*A*S*

The class was boring as usual. Cranky Doodle's attention was dedicated to explaining theorems and equations on the board, while a group of students tried to understand what he was saying. Most had already given up and preferred to focus on anything else.

Sunset was not totally focused, either; they were topics that she already knew or that were easy to understand. She focused her mind instead on solving a bigger problem.

Something hits her and pulls her out of her thoughts, something small and somewhat soft against the side of her head. She turns her head and discovers the object, laying on the floor next to her seat: a small, triangular piece of an eraser.

Her eyes scan the room. She can hear a couple of stifled snickers, and turning her head, she sees three students a couple of seats behind her looking at her. Her eyes focus on the desk of one of them--Brawny Beats. There it is: a formerly square eraser with a cut corner.

She watches the teacher for a moment, and when he turns to write on the board...

Brawny gives a loud scream as an object collides with his face. Cranky immediately turns around.

"What's going on?"Cranky demands, upset about the interruption to his class.

Brawny holds his face in an attempt to soothe the pain, Sunset's notebook laying flat on his desk.

"I repeat, what's going on?"

"It was her! Shimmer threw a notebook at me!"he accuses.

All the students turn their attention to the situation except Sunset, who seems very interested in a page of her book.

"Class is not the time for clowning around!"Cranky says sternly.

"Say that to Shimmer! She assaulted me for no reason!"

The whole class focuses its bitter gazes on the Equestrian girl, but she does not seem to notice. Cranky Doodle approaches Sunset.

"Miss Shimmer, care to explain?"

The girl continues staring at her book for a moment before realizing the presence of the teacher. She looks at him, smiling innocently.

"Oh, sorry, Mr. Doodle, could you repeat the question? I was reviewing chapter six. I think you made a little mistake; you wrote 121, and it should be 112."

Cranky looks puzzled before turning his eyes to the blackboard.

"Oh my, how careless of me. Thank you for pointing that out, Miss Shimmer. It's good to know thatsomeoneis paying attention."

After giving a look of reproach to Brawny, Cranky returns to his lesson.

The boy growls and glares at Sunset, who looks back with a superior smile.

*S*A*S*

The morning gives way to noon, and with it comes lunch hour.

The student body mills into the cafeteria. Sunset checks her pockets, only to discover that she forgot to bring money to buy lunch. She sighs in defeat and goes the opposite direction of everyone else. It's not like she can sit down with anyone, anyway.

Looking for a place to wait out the lunch break, she arrives at the library. As expected, it is empty, so she decides to sit down and devote herself to her thoughts once more, thoughts about a certain anonymous person, and the mystery behind it...

*S*A*S*

Sunset's semifinal class ends, and Sunset makes her way to her locker to prepare for her final class. As she reaches her locker, the sound of hushed snickering catches her attention. Out of the corner of her eye, she sees three girls pretending not to pay attention to her. It doesn't take long for Sunset to connect the dots. Acting natural, she discreetly unlocks her lock and moves away from her locker and instead tries to open the one next to her, noticing that the three girls' snickering turned to looks of confusion. A minute goes by while she stuggles with the lock before one of the three, Aqua Blossom, approaches her.

"Hey, what are you doing?"she asks, annoyed.

"What does it look like?"Sunset responds with some displeasure."I'm trying to open my locker."

"That's not your locker."

"Of course it is. I think I can recognize my own locker,"Sunset says, rolling her eyes.

"Well, that's not it. Your locker is next door."

"Uh-huh. Sure."

"It is! You even unlocked it!"the girl asserts, pointing to the lock.

Sunset looks at the lock and shrugs."Wasn't me,"she says.

Sunset once again fiddles with the lock in an unsuccessful attempt to open the locker. Aqua grunts impatiently.

"You're an idiot!"she says, jabbing a finger at Sunset's locker."That's your locker."

"What doyouknow?Thisis my locker!"Sunset says dismissively, pointing at the locker she is trying to open.

Her patience gone, Aqua places herself right in front of the locker and slaps her palm on it.

"No, it's this one!"she snaps loudly.

Sunset does not respond. Instead, she quickly opens her real locker. Something inside activates when the door opens, and the would-be prankster is splattered with a bucketload of paint.

"Wow, you were right,"Sunset says, smirking."Thisismy locker."

Her smile of satisfaction is maintained as she passes by the newly painted girl. The girl in question clenches her teeth as she watches Sunset smugly leave.

"You are a despicable bitch!"she yells.

Sunset stops walking. She turns around, eyes ablaze. The culprit gulps, knowing she screwed up, and her fear only deepens when Sunset slowly walks towards her.

"Say that again,"Sunset commands.

Aqua freezes in fear when Sunset stops right in front of her, the girl's friends similarly petrified. The eyes of the former equine remain fixed on those of her prey, anger against terror.

"Come on! I dare you."

By now, a crowd had formed as the rest of the students wait to see what fate awaits Sunset's newest victim.

"Hey, what's going on here?!"

The sudden voice wins Sunset's attention. Aqua Blossom, snapping out of her terrified trance, turns and runs for her life alongside her friends.

Rainbow Dash stands in front of Sunset, arms crossed. Unlike the other students, she is unfazed by Sunset's glare.

"What do you think you're doing, Sunset?"Rainbow asks impatiently.

Sunset does not respond, instead staring coldly at the athlete.

"So it's not enough to expose everyone's secrets? Now you're gonna attack us, too?"Rainbow demands, her anger deepening.

Attack them? Where was this girl looking? It was Sunset who had been the victim of aggression--the aggression of the entire school.

The rest of Sunset's former friends approach. Applejack shares Rainbow's angry expression, while Rarity bears a look of reproach. Pinkie Pie looks in confusion at the mess of paint everywhere, while Fluttershy stares at her own shoes, avoiding eye contact with everyone.

"Well? Say something!"Rainbow demands.

She could answer, but what good would it do?

Without saying anything, Sunset pushes past the group and heads to her next class. Rainbow, livid at getting the cold shoulder, decides to give one last call.

"Nobody wants you here! Why don't you just get lost and let us live in peace?!"

More than one student nods in agreement with Rainbow. Sunset stops her walking for a moment and looks into the void as she turns those words around in her head.

*S*A*S*

Principal Celestia is sitting at her desk, reviewing the forms and records of the school as on any normal work day. This normal routine is interrupted when she hears the door to her office open as a student enters unannounced. Celestia looks up to see Sunset Shimmer in front of her.

"Sunset Shimmer? What are you--"

"Principal Celestia, I want to ask you something,"Sunset interrupts seriously.

The principal looked at the young woman for a moment. It is not often that a student enters unannounced, nor is it appreciated, but the look on Sunset's face convinced Celestia to let this pass.

"What do you need, Sunset?"Celestia asks calmly.

"I want a transfer request. I'm going to change schools,"Sunset replies matter-of-factly.

The answer stuns the woman. Her eyes widen and her jaw falls.

"You're... going to change... But, Sunset, why?"she stammers.

"I've had enough of all this. The school hates me, nobody wants me to be here, and honestly, I don't want to be here, either,"Sunset replies, shoulders slumped.

"Sunset, I know things have not gone well since Anon-A-Miss appeared, but... I know we can fix the whole thing,"Celestia says pleadingly.

"That's what you told me weeks ago, and so far, nothing happened,"Sunset said, exasperated."Nothing's changed, except for the fact that every day, they torment me more."

"Sunset--"

"It doesn't matter anymore. I don't have friends, I don't have anyone to support me or believe me, I have nothing left at this school. I want to start over somewhere else."

"Sunset, please think about this a moment--"

"Ihavethought about it, and I came to the conclusion that it's not worth it."

The older woman is speechless and never loses eye contact with the former equine. Sunset, in turn, keeps her eyes on the principal, but every second, her serious face slowly breaks to give way to a desperate, pleading gaze.

"I tried for weeks, but I can't take it anymore. I've endured their hatred, their rejection, their aggression, but... I can't. This is torture, and I don't want to go on. I want to have a new life, look for a place where, even if no one accepts me, then at least... no one rejects me."

"Sunset..."

"When I came to you a few weeks ago, you said you were going to help me. Well, you can help me now! Let me go! Free me from this hell you call a school, and let me find a new place."

The principal's hand rests on her chest, her heart pounding with despair.

"Please, let me go…"Sunset pleaded, tears finally welling up.

Celestia has to bite her lip and close her eyes to resist the urge to cry herself. When she opens them again, her only focus is the young girl's desperate gaze.