• Published 15th Dec 2017
  • 14,076 Views, 779 Comments

Sunset Among Shadows - RedPegasus



Because of Anon-A-Miss Sunset is abandoned by everyone, so she decides to start a new life, among shadows, she will seek happiness, but what will happen with the magic of friendship?

  • ...
47
 779
 14,076

Where Your Home Is - Part 1

She had been lying on her bed all day, staring at nothing.

She hears a knock on her door and gets up to answer it, although her movements seem merely automated, her face showing that she is not really interested in her visitor’s identity.

That changes when she opens the door, her lost look replaced with one of surprise.

"Twilight?"

Her bespectacled friend, dressed in a thick coat, hugs herself while their eyes meet. She doesn’t say a word. She just throws herself into Sunset’s arms, trembling, afraid.

Sunset is shocked but doesn’t hesitate a second to surround her with her arms and try to comfort her.

*S*A*S*

Two mugs of hot chocolate lie on the bedside table next to Sunset’s bed. Both girls sit side-by-side on the bed, Twilight’s hand in Sunset’s as Twilight tells Sunset what happened to her. "Lightning hurt you?" Sunset asks, surprise and anger in her voice.

Twilight recoils at Sunset’s anger but responds, "N-No... I just... I got scared..."

Sunset pulls Twilight into a hug, which Twilight eagerly accepts, laying her head on Sunset’s shoulder. "Twilight, I'm so sorry. I didn't think about you... " She squeezes the scientist protectively. "I'm sorry. I should’ve been there."

Twilight separates a bit and gives a small smile. "It's okay. You’re here now."

They smile and resume the hug, although Sunset’s smile fades a little. "Twilight, what was that book like?"

Twilight changes her smile for a doubtful gaze. "Well... I don't know. It seemed normal, just a brown book with a big symbol on its front instead of a title. It’s looked like a weird sun."

"Like this?"

Sunset separates from Twilight and removes her jacket and coat, showing her shirt adorned with her old cutie mark.

Twilight is a little surprised to see it. "Yes! So, that book is really yours?"

Sunset does not respond. Instead, her gaze falls to the floor, thoughtful.

Twilight seemed to deduce the answer, changing to another question. "Sunset, what is that book?"

"It's... hard to explain..." Sunset responds without daring to look at her.

Twilight sighs. She should have expected that answer. After all, Sunset never tells her anything about herself. But she doesn’t want her emotions to divert the important issue, so she changes to another question. "And what relationship does that have with the princess?"

Sunset meditates a moment of how to respond. "The princess..." She stops a moment. "You see, the book is... like a journal, a way in which she and I had contact... It's hard to explain..."

Sunset takes a deep breath to get her thoughts in order. "It was given to me by... by a person who was very important to me who had a similar book. What was written in one showed up in the other, and thus, that… important person and I could communicate over long distances. One thing led to another, and Twilight and I started using it to write to each other."

Twilight looks down. "The princess… She’s very special to you, isn’t she?"

Sunset is a little surprised at that. "Umm, yes, she is..." Sunset is not sure how to explain herself, but she notices Twilight’s expression fall. "Twi... Are you okay?"

There is silence for a moment, but before Sunset can ask again, Twilight pounces on her, making her fall back onto the bed. The surprised Sunset fidns herself stunned to feel her friend's lips pressed against her own.

After a few seconds, Twilight separates from Sunset and gets up. Holding Sunset’s hands, she looks sadly at the Equestrian girl. "I'm sorry..." she whispers tersely, starting to wipe away tears that almost escape her eyes.

Sunset can only stare back at her, her face showing only surprise. Eventually she gets up, taking her friend by the shoulders so they can both sit down and face each other. Twilight doesn’t dare to look up. Taking off her glasses, she tries harder to dry the tears that fall.

"Twilight, you..." Sunset had very little experience in these things, making it hard for her to formulate her question.

Twilight remains silent, trying not to break down even as her body trembles.

"Twi, I'm not mad," Sunset says, trying to calm her. "But... is there something you want to tell me?"

The scientist doesn’t answer for a moment. She sips a little cocoa and cleans her eyes. Finally, she saying, "I don't want... to be second place..."

That answer only baffles Sunset. "Second?"

Twilight doesn’t dare look at Sunset. "The princess... She’s special to you, right?"

Sunset starts to feel uncomfortable. "Well, yes, she is, but you’re special too, Twi."

"But not in the same way..." responds the scientist in a slight tone of complaint. "You said that although we resemble each other, we’re different..."

"Twi..."

"You and she had the same teacher. You two had troubles and hardships when you first met, but now, you're friends... Great friends…"

Sunset gulps.

She was too careless. She had taken too long to tell Twilight about her past, and naturally, Twilight wanted answers, so she had gone to try to get them on her own.

"I'm such an idiot!" Sunset reproaches herself.

"The princess... is more special than I am..."

"Twilight! That's not... It's not like that..."

Twilight nibbles her lip. "I'm selfish... I don't want... I don't want to be less than her. I want to be your best friend—your closest friend—just like you’re my best friend, Sunset..."

Sunset is speechless. She has no idea what to do or what to say in such a situation.

Twilight keeps her head down. Her eyes are dry now, but despair still grips her.

Finally, Sunset takes her friend's chin and makes her look at her. They both stare silently for a moment, until Sunset smiles. "Twilight, you're like a kitten."

All tension breaks suddenly as Twilight stares flabbergasted at Sunset’s random comment. After a few seconds in strange silence, the only thing she says is, “… What?”

Sunset smiles a little more and caresses her cheek. "You’re super adorable, and you make people love you easily, but you are very capricious, and you need a lot of care," she clarifies.

Twilight looks away with an annoyed sigh. "I'm not capricious..."

Sunset suddenly snorts in laughter at Twilight's pouty expression, pulling her friend in a half-hug "Well, I always wondered what it would be like to have a pet." Conveniently, Sunset sees some candy settled on her bedside table. She doesn’t hesitate to grab it. "So be a good girl, and I'll give you a treat, Sparky."

Twilight just rolls her eyes. "'Sparky'? You couldn't think a more original name?"

The Equestrian’s laughter just grows, and although she tries to look annoyed, the young scientist soon joins the laughter and returns the hug. She can get her answers another day.

*S*A*S*

With the sun still covered by clouds, the cold winter rules over the city on Tuesday morning.

At Crystal Prep—specifically, next to the track around the back of the school, covered by the large shadow of the building—Lightning Dust stands, arms crossed, a winter coat tightly wrapped around her body to protect her, her brow furrowed. She repeated taps her arm with an index finger impatiently.

"This is stupid," she hears from behind her. She turns, glaring at Jet Set, who’s standing several meters away, his sweater tied around his neck. "Why didn't you just bring Twilight yesterday to confess everything?" he snaps.

"I'm not interested in Sparkle," Lightning responds dryly. "It's Shimmer who I want."

"And why did you tell her to come at this hour?!" the boy complains. "I can’t stop shivering, it’s so cold."

Lightning grunts, looking to the side and decides to ignore the boy to end the conversation. It works for a few moments. Until he talks again. "And if she doesn’t come? What, then?"

"She’ll come," the blonde girl answers. "She wouldn’t leave her girlfriend hanging like that."

Jet Set seems to hesitate, but he doesn’t argue. Instead, he just crosses his arms to keep warm.

Only a minute passes before the corner of the blonde's eye detects movement. When she turns around, she sees exactly who she wants to see.

Sunset, dressed in her white jacket, walks without haste or grief to where they are. Behind her is a scared Twilight holding onto Sunset's arm.

"Well, it’s about time," Jet snaps.

The two friends approach, leaving only a few meters between themselves and Lightning.

Sunset adjusts her white jacket to protect herself from the cold. Twilight remains behind her, a hand clinging to the Equestrian girl's arm, her look full of fear.

"Shimmer," speaks Ligtning Dust.

"Lightning Dust," she replies.

"Jet... Jet Set?" Twilight stutters.

"Sparkle," he replies.

There is silence between the four. For a moment, they only look at each other.

Finally, Lightning opens her jacket and pulls out the book. "I don't want any games, Shimmer," says the blonde girl. "I know that this book is yours. I want you to tell me what it is, because you write in it with your girlfriend, but you tried to burn it, and it just didn’t burn."

The only answer is a neutral look from Sunset, before she looks to the ground.

Sunset remembered that night... remembered that bonfire, the desperate messages of the princess, and finally the moment when she threw it into the fire...

Sunset can see Lightning rapidly running out of patience, so she decides to talk. "I can’t answer that last point, because I'm not sure, either. That said, even if I tell you, you wouldn’t understand, but if you want to know, it's a journal. A journal I share with a friend, and no, it's not the Twilight that you know."

Jet Set frowns at that. "What are you talking about? You mention Sparkle’s name constantly in the book."

Sunset closes her eyes to keep calm. "Look, it's a long story, and anyway, you wouldn’t believe me even if I tell you." The answer makes both angry. But Sunset talks again. "Still, I want to ask for a favor."

Sunset gently separates herself from Twilight—to the scientist’s worry—and walks towards Lightning. The blonde girl keeps her gaze on the former equine and a firm grip on the book.

When Sunset arrives in front of her, she looks at her for a moment before saying, "Can you return the book to me please?"

The question stuns Twilight and Jet Set. Lightning is frustrated. "You think I’m an idiot, don’t you?"

"Please. I need to use it for something important," Sunset says calmly. "If it still works..." she finishes in a small whisper.

"If what works?" questions Lightning who manages to hear her.

Sunset looks at her seriously. "I can tell you the truth, but you wouldn’t believe me unless I show you, and for that, I need the book."

Lightning is more frustrated than before. "Don't fuck with me! How do I know you won’t run away when I give it to you?"

"If I do, then you could just chase me," Answers Sunset simply. "You're faster and stronger than me. We both know it."

There is silence while both look intensely at each other. After a few seconds, Sunset stretches out her hand. Lightning doesn’t do anything for a moment, but after some thought, she finally extends the book to Sunset.

"What are you doing?!" Jet Set snaps.

Sunset holds her journal, looking at it carefully, and delicately runs her fingers down the cover. "Thank you," she says with sincerity, looking at the blonde athlete.

"Have you lost your mind!?" Jet Set barks at Lightning. "Take it back before she does something stupid!"

Lightning either doesn’t hear him or simply ignores him.

Sunset opens the journal, noting the pages are empty. "The pages are blank..."

"The fire got rid of them, I guess. Jet Set used a weird chemical bath he dipped the pages in," explains the athlete. "And with a blue flashlight, he could see the erased messages."

Jet Set bristles. "It's not a chemical bath! It’s a—"

"Nobody cares," Lightning interrupts.

Sunset examines the pages a little more, focusing. She manages to distinguish marks, practically invisible remains of some writing on the pages.

Lightning loses patience. "I’m waiting."

Sunset takes a pen out of her pocket. "In a moment, I should know... if it still works..."

She opens the journal and, finding a sheet without blots, begins to write.

-"Spike? Somepony? Is someone there? It’s Sunset. Please, someone answer."-

After writing the message, Sunset's eyes are glued to the book. Every silent second increases her desperation.

Everything remains silent while the other three look at her.

"What are you supposed to be doing?"Lightning asks, already extremely annoyed. Sunset doesn’t answer, still looking at her journal, and that only makes her angrier. "Cut the crap and—!"

"Give me a fucking minute!" Sunset screams suddenly. "Damn, you’re so—"

She doesn’t finish her sentence, as she’s interrupted by the book suddenly glowing and vibrating. Sunset watches carefully and sees words begin to form.

- "Hello? Sunset? Sunset, is that you?! It’s Spike! By Celestia, tell me Twilight is with you! Please!"-

The former equine can’t help smiling as she sighs in relief.

- "No, she’s not with me now, but don't worry. She’s in a safe place. I’m so glad I can still talk with you." -

When she finishes writing, she waits for an answer, not realizing the gaze everyone is giving her. She waits only a few seconds before receiving the next message.

- "Is she? Oh thank Luna! Weeks ago she just told me she was going to see you and she didnt let me go with her and went through the portal and Ive been so worried and all the ponies even Princess Celestia have been asking for her!"-

Reading that obliterates Sunset’s smile. And it’s not just because of Spike’s poor, hasty grammar.

It was what Twilight had already confirmed. The princess spent weeks away from home in Canterlot locked away, looking for how to contact Sunset.

It was not just the school... Sunset realized that her actions had affected the ponies in Equestria... even Celestia.

With a sigh, she goes back to writing.

- "Don’t worry, she's fine. Well, she has a cold, but she’s fine overall. Spike, I need you to do me a favor." -

The gaze of others shows different emotions, even more because of the fact that Sunset doesn’t pay attention to them, focused only on the book, which shines again.

- "Of course! What do you need?" -

- "I want you to call the other ponies and see if they can operate the portal. I'll send Twilight home." -

With that message sent, Sunset allows herself to relax her shoulders, which feel like a weight lifted from them. When the answer arrives, she doesn’t hesitate to read it.

- "Really? But Twilight tried to make it work, and she couldn’t. She told me you had a big problem and that’s why she had to go."

Sunset hesitates a moment, noticing that Spike seems to have calmed down. She looks unsure of what to answer.

- "That doesn’t matter anymore. Just do it, please. Twilight needs to get home." -

The answer takes a little longer to arrive. Spike is perhaps meditating on what she just said.

- "Okay, I'll call the others, but are you sure everything is fine?" -

- "It will be. Let me know when you get them all together. I'll go look for Twilight." -

- "Alright. I'll go right away."-

- "Thanks, Spike, and thank everyone for me" -

With that, Sunset allows herself another sigh, feeling relaxed, and closes the book.

"Well, that fixes that, I hope..." she finally says out loud.

When she looks up, she notices the blonde's anger.

"And now your little book glows. What was that!?"

Sunset keeps her journal in her backpack and answers. "If you want to know, you'll have to come with me."

"To where?" questions Lightning.

"Good question. I think I should make a call first."

With that said, she tries to take out her phone, but is stopped when Lightning grabs her from the collar of her jacket and pulls her close to her.

"Shimmer, listen, I'm bored with your fucking games!"

"Well guess what, Dust. My 'games' are not for your fucking fun," Sunset snaps. She glares into Lightning’s eyes. "I'll clarify one thing," Sunset speaks calmly but gravely. "I don't have to tell you anything. You have no right to come here, threaten Twilight, threaten me, and demand that I tell you about myself or my past. What I’m showing you is a privilege. So shut the fuck up and don’t make me take that privilege away from you."

The scene leaves Twilight terrified by Sunset's safety. Jet Set, on the other hand, is frustrated.

None of those present notice it, but suddenly, another student appears on the race track. Indigo gets ready to do some stretches for a morning run but stops as soon as she rounds the corner of the school, watching Lightning holding Sunset fiercely.

"I didn't come here to fight with you," Sunset continues. "I came to help someone who needs me. If you want to hit me, go ahead, but I’m telling you that you won’t believe anything even if I explain it to you."

Without fear, Sunset grabs Lightning's wrist and twists, forcing Lightning to release her jacket.

"If you want to know about me, you'll have to come with me, because my 'game' works by my rules, not yours."

Lightning clenches her fists hard. Sunset looks at her for a moment but prefers to ignore her and picks up her phone again. She dials a number and waits for an answer.

"Hello," says Sunset when her call is answered. "Principal Celestia, it's Sunset. I'm sorry to call you so early, but... is Twilight still at your place?"

*S*A*S*

The four get off the bus, and in front of them, across the street, is Canterlot High School.

Sunset is the first to cross the asphalt to get to the other side. Twilight follows her closely.

Lightning also follows her, still annoyed. "Shimmer, how much longer are you going to make us wait?"

"If you don't want to wait, you can leave. I'm not forcing you to stay," is all Sunset says.

Lightning clenches her teeth. "Bitch."

"This better be worth it," Jet Set comment. "You'll make us skip first class."

"I’m not making you do anything," Sunset says again. "If you don't want to be here, then get lost."

"Do you think we'll leave just like that? You haven’t answered my questions yet," says Lightning Dust.

"For the last time, if you don’t want to stay, fuck off!" Sunset growls, losing her patience. “If you want your answers, shut up and follow me.”

There is no response from either of them. Twilight, on the other hand, tries to stay close to Sunset and away from the other two.

"Sunset, are you sure about this?" the scientist asks her friend.

"Sure about what?"

"Well... you and the princess. Isn’t your world supposed to be a secret?"

The Equestrian doesn’t respond immediately. Eventually, she sighs. "At this point, Twilight, I have too many things on my mind. I just want to end this and hopefully solve the rest later."

Twilight pauses, worried, clinging to Sunset’s arm to show camaraderie and to help herself stay standing.

With the beginning of the school day approaching, students are seen arriving and entering the school. Every CHS student shoots surprised looks at the group—Twilight and Sunset, specifically—in front of the statue. Sunset tries to ignore them, Lighting and Jet Set don’t pay attention to them, and Twilight tries not to see them, while all the students, remembering what happened last time Sunset visited, simply pass them by nervously and head inside.

With the four in front of the statue, they feel the cold wind pass over them with intensity.

"And what now, Shimmer?" questions Lightning.

"We wait. The principal should arrive soon."

"The principal? Why do you want her?" asks Jet Set.

"You’ll know when she arrives." After answering and taking a few seconds to think, she sighs again and says, "Anyway... I guess while we wait, I can start telling you what you want to know."

Before continuing, Sunset puts her hand on Twilight's, whose hand is still on her arm.

"I'm sorry, Twi. I know I should’ve told you all this before, but... No, I have no excuse, I should have told you a long time ago."

"It's okay, Sunset. Don't worry anymore about that," responds the scientist, clinging more tightly to her friend’s arm.

Sunset is silent for a moment, looking at her friend, then looking at the two who accompany them. She sighs.

*S*A*S*

No one was sure how much time passed, because at the moment when Sunset began to tell them the truth, the rest of the world was silent.

Everyone had different emotions. Twilight was perhaps the most surprised, but though everything she heard was so fanciful, she knew that with the existence of her other self, almost anything was possible.

Lightning keeps a look full of annoyance, doubting every single word she hears, but she doesn’t interrupt.

Jet Set is perhaps the most skeptical, although on more than one occasion he seems thoughtful; some things he hears seem familiar to him, similar to what he managed to read in Sunset's book.

Sunset tried to summarize the story as much as she could, telling them first that she came from another world and was the student of a veritable goddess. She glossed over her fall from grace, skipping over to the part where she left home.

She told them that she spent several years in the human world and how Princess Twilight both stopped her villainy and helped her more than anyone else.

Finally, she decided to omit the sirens and Anon-A-Miss, the latter for more than one reason, and ended up telling them how she had tried to destroy the diary and leave Canterlot High School behind, thus reaching Crystal Prep.

As Sunset expects, surprised and incredulous looks are all she receives when she finishes all her history.

For a time, nobody says anything. They look intensely at the former equine, who only remains silent, waiting for the inevitable.

Lightning is the first to speak. "So, let me clarify this. You're a pony."

"You're from another world?" asks Jet Set.

"You're exiled?" finishes Twilight sadly.

With a frown and a somewhat tired gaze, Sunset just nods with an affirmative hum.

Lightning looks at her contemptuously. "That… is…"

"And here it comes..." thinks Sunset.

"… the dumbest, worst, most idiotic lie I've heard in my life!" finishes the athlete.

"I know," the former equine responds.

"Do you really expect us to believe all that?"questions Jet Set with annoyance.

"No, not really. I already told you that you wouldn’t believe me. That's why I invited you two to come: so you can see the portal to Equestria."

That statement leaves the three surprised.

Jet Set says, "Do you mean that the entrance to your magical world of ponies is in this school?"

Sunset nods. "In fact, the portal is right there," she says, nodding toward the statue. "It's closed now, but since my journal works again, we can open it. I hope so, anyway."

"What does your book have to do with this?"questions Lightning, still confused.

Sunset explained briefly how the journal was linked to a similar one in Equestria, using cell phones as a comparison, and explained that they could thus be used to open up the portal.

Suddenly, a bus stops in front of the school, and three Crystal Prep girls come off of it.

"Look, they're still here!" Indigo Zap is the first to cross the street in a hurry to get to school. Lemon Zest crosses behind just as quickly, and Sunny Flare walks along more calmly.

Sunset looks at them in surprise when they reach her. "What are you three doing here?"

"We should be asking you that," Indigo replies.

Lemon begins to explain, "Indigo saw you talking to Lightning outside of school. She called me and said all of you left in a bus, so I called Sunny, and she thought you would come here, so... we came."

"That doesn’t answer my question," Sunset says calmly.

Sunny is the one who clarifies it. "Sunset, honey, you skipped classes yesterday without saying anything."

"I warned Sonata that I wouldn’t go."

"And now, you’re meeting Lightning in secret," indicates Indigo.

"And you come to your old school with Twi-Spark," finishes Lemon.

"What's going on?" Indigo asks.

"Ugh... I just told the story. I don't want to do it again..." Sunset gripes.

Lightning decides to take the floor. "She’s trying to convince us she’s an alien."

The answer has the expected effect: silence.

Until Lemon speaks. "Oh, so you finally found out?"

Lemon’s friends look at her like she grew a second head.

"What do you mean 'you finally found out'?" questions Sunny Flare, crossing her arms.

"You know, that Sun-Shim is a magical creature from another world."

Just more silence.

"You can’t be serious," comments Indigo.

"Of course, I am," the rocker responds with confidence. "You don't remember the concert? The wings and the lights?"

"They were special effects."

"Special effects, my panties! I got wings, and I could fly! Those were no special effects!"

"Lemon, please." Sunny holds her forehead.

Sunset can just sigh and try to ignore the scene. Luckily, she finally sees a very familiar white and gold car arrive.

"Finally. Let's finish this..."

Her comment and the way she walks towards the vehicle stops the conversation, and everyone turns to watch her.

Principal Celestia gets out of the car, and the moment she sees Sunset, she dashes over to her and hugs her. Sunset is surprised by the action, but she neither pushes away nor returns the embrace. She just waits a few seconds, but she quickly realizes that Celestia won’t let go anytime soon.

"Um, Principal Celestia...?"

After a few seconds and a slight squeeze, Celestia finally releases her. "I'm sorry."

"It’s fine…"

Sunset falls silent, and Celestia says nothing for a while. Finally, the woman speaks. "I brought her as you asked. Is everything okay?"

Sunset looks at her with a calm face and just nods before walking to the car. Celestia opens the passenger door. Princess Twilight, looking somewhat sleepy, opens her eyes and sees Sunset.

"Sunset..."

"Hey, Princess," Sunset says in a soft voice, helping her unbuckle her seat belt and get out of the car. Twilight, too, quickly embraces Sunset, though this particular hug is stronger than Celestia’s. Sunset puts a hand on Twilight’s head and gently breaks the hug.

"Princess, I think we can open the portal." Surprise lights up Twilight’s eyes, and Sunset explains, "The book somehow survived. I wrote to Spike. He and the ponies should be preparing to open it now."

"R-Really...?" Doubt and hope are reflected in her eyes and her voice.

"I wouldn't lie to you about something like that. Come here."

Sunset wraps her arm around the princess's waist to support her and helps her walk to the statue.

Celestia stays behind. Although she’s smiling after hearing the news, her eyes have a slightly sorrowful tinge.

Finally, Sunset brings Twilight into clear view of the rest of the group. All but the scientist stand in stark surprise, their eyes flitting between the two Twilights.

"Sunset... who are they...?" the princess asks nervously.

"Schoolmates. Don't worry, okay?" Sunset says. "Just stay calm until Spike sends me the message."

Sunset feels the princess lean on her. She looks tired. Sunset reprimands herself for having to ask her to leave while she’s sick, but this has to be done.

"Hello, Twilight," the princess says with a slight chuckle to her double, who returns the greeting with an equal gesture.

"Hey, Twi-Spark, you didn't tell us you had a twin," Lemon says suddenly.

"Um, she's not my sister. She's the princess that came from Sunset's world."

"Ugh, please!" Lightning approaches a few steps and looks frustrated. "Four-eyes has a twin. So what? Do you think that serves as proof for your nonsense?"

"Not quite," responds Sunset. "But you’ll have your proof soon. Shut up."

The princess looks with concern at her companion. "Sunset... what happened...?"

Sunset tries to calm her by tightening her embrace. "I'm asking you not to worry, okay? you just focus on going home."

"But... what will you do...?"

"Hey, don't worry about me anymore." In an attempt to calm her down, Sunset holds her closer and caresses her head, a gesture that makes the princess close her eyes. "It's my fault that you're in this situation. Let me get you out of it."

The princess tries to object, but Sunset puts a finger to her lips to keep her from talking.

Celestia is watching the whole scene, both intrigued and worried. After a few seconds, she sighs with regret. "I don't want to, but I have to get back to my office. Sunset... can I...?"

"Don’t worry, Principal Celestia. I'll take care of her from here. I’ll make sure the princess goes home."

The woman still looks insecure, but she trusts in her former student. "Twilight, it was a pleasure to have you here." Celestia gives an almost maternal smile, which brings tears to the princess’s eyes.

"I regret having been a burden all this time," Twilight replies with a hurt voice.

"A burden? Twilight, it was an honor to have you with us. If you ever need anything again, don't hesitate to come here."

The princess doesn’t respond. Instead, she carefully moves away from Sunset and approaches the principal, stumbling as she gets close and falling right into the older woman’s arms. Celestia doesn’t hesitate, holding in her own tears as she embraces the princess as a mother would a daughter.

The woman gently moves the girl away and places a soft kiss on her forehead. "I'll miss you. Good luck."

The princess does not respond, but her violet eyes look fondly at the woman.

Sunset soon approaches and holds her companion from behind, allowing the woman to retreat. With a somewhat hurt smile, Celestia steps back before finally retreating inside the school.

The princess drops in Sunset’s grip, forcing Sunset to strain to keep Twilight up. Indigo and Lemon rush to help her, and between the three, they firmly hold the princess up.

"I'm sorry for being a burden..." Twilight mumbles.

Sunny, looking a little out of place, approaches the Twilight she knows. "Sparkle, who is that girl?"

"It's... a long story, Sunny Flare..."

The elegant girl just sighs. "We're skipping classes for this. What's going on?"

Silence is the only thing that answers her. Jet Set eventually breaks it. "So, we saw the principal and this... copy of Sparkle. What now?"

Sunset looks at the group, who are all looking at her and waiting for the answer. She hesitates for a moment, but she hears a sound in her backpack, instantly knowing what it means. She asks her companions to hold the princess, and she rushes to open her journal.

- "Sunset, it’s Spike. Everypony’s here, and I think we know how to open the portal. Are you ready?"-

Without wasting a moment, Sunset takes out her pen and writes an answer.

- "Thanks, Spike. I'm with the princess. Please turn it on. I'll send her home soon." - She waits a second, then writes something else- - "Take care of her, please; she's still sick and needs attention." -

The answer takes only a few seconds to arrive. - "That's for sure. Everypony here is worried sick. We'll take good care of her. I promise." -

- "Thank you. Turn on the portal. I’ll let her know. She’ll be with you soon." -

- "Are you sure everything is okay? You don't need help? I can go to you, if you want." -

- "No, Spike, everything is fine. You only have to worry about the princess." -

- "Alright, but let us know if you need anything." -

- "Got it. Thanks, Spike." -

That ends that talk. Sunset closes the book, sighs, and stores it again in her backpack. "Well, the portal should be active soon," she says out loud.

Before the situation can continue, she sees the doors of the school open and her former friends approach, although they keep quite a distance from everyone. Their looks are full of concern.

Rainbow is the first to speak. "Sunset... what's happening?"

They all wait expectantly for the answer.

Sunset sighs again, clearly tired. "Yeah, I figured you would come..." she mumbles to herself. "I’m sending the princess back to Equestria," she answers aloud, to her former friends’ surprise.

Immediately afterward, a taxi stops in front of the school, and Sonata dashes out of it toward Sunset. "SUUUUUNSEEEEEEEEET!"

The named girl turns around, surprised. "Seriously?"

Sonata quickly scoops Sunset into a tight hug and looks at her desperately. "Are you okay?! Did they hurt you?! Did they beat you?! Did they tie you up and tickle you?!"

"Sonata, what are you three doing here?" Sunset asks, her eyes flitting toward the other sirens who approach from the taxi.

"Lemon told me you were in trouble!" the youngest of the trio answers. "I warned Adie and Arie, and we came to help you."

"Yeah, yeah." Aria approaches and looks at them all with disdain. “Who should we hit? The ones in uniform or the others?"

"I'm not in trouble," says Sunset, trying to ignore the comments. "I’m just sending the princess back to Equestria."

That answer leaves the three sisters surprised. "You can do that?" questions the leader of the group.

"If everything goes well, yes," answers Sunset. "In fact, the portal should be active now." Sunset tries to ignore the looks of doubt and surprise directed at her and gently touches Twilight’s cheek, waking up the slumbering princess. "Princess. Princess, wake up."

The violet eyes open, and they look at the fire-haired girl tiredly.

Sunset gazes back at her. "Come on. Spike told me they turned on the portal. Time to go home."

"Home…"

Sunset hooks an arm around Twilight’s waist, letting the princess leans on her as she leads her to the statue.

Indigo and Lemon stay close to help her, while the other Twilight, Sunny, and the sirens follow behind. Lightning Dust and Jet Set remain in their places for a moment but decide to get closer to see what they will do. The Rainbooms just remain in their place, unsure of how to react.

While all this is happening, several students had decided to skip their classes and went to the entrance of the school or some front-facing windows to observe the whole scene.

The principal and her sister also watch the event from the window of Celestia’s office. Luna’s hand is comfortingly on Celestia’s shoulder.

Finally, Sunset and Twilight stand before the statue. Sunset places a hand against the base, confirming that the portal is open. "Princess, it's time. The others are waiting for you."

The eyes of the princess look at the base as the girl remains silent, leaning on Sunset.

None of those present say anything either, too confused and curious to interrupt.

Violet eyes go up, meeting cyan. They stare at each other in complete silence. That is, until the princess speaks in a soft voice, "Come with me…"

Sunset recoils, astonished. "What?"

"Come with me... Sunset, let's go home..."

Sunset departs a little, still holding the princess by the shoulders. They look at each other. "Princess…"

"There in Equestria, there is true friendship. I can introduce you to all the ponies I know... I know that they will love you as you are."

"But, princess—"

"I know that Celestia will accept you! I know she misses you and that she will love you. You can have real friends. Sunset... come with me... please…"

Tears start falling from the princess’s eyes. Sunset is speechless, unable to believe what Twilight was asking. And she is not the only one; everyone around is equally surprised.

Lemon, Indigo and Sunny are extremely worried, the human Twilight even more so, the scientist trembling at the possibility. The sirens are also somewhat surprised, and they lean forward slightly, extremely interested in the response that Sunset might give. Lightning and Jet Set feel the tension, but they don’t really understand what’s going on. The Rainbooms just show their usual expression of regret and concern.

In the school, Flash manages to make space between the other students and go out to the stairs in front of the building, from where he can see the whole situation.

Everything is silent for a while.

Sunset keeps her eyes closed, while the princess continues to look at her with despair and tears. After what feels like an eternity, Sunset speaks to her without opening her eyes. "I'm sorry, Princess…"

The princess’s expression reflects the pain in her heart. "Sunset..."

The cyan eyes open, and they show a pained but sure look. "I don't belong to Equestria anymore. I can't go."

"But..." the princess begins, but nothing comes out of her.

"I left Equestria too long ago. I don't have a place in that world anymore."

The princess looks down, her tears falling harder. "... Then I'll stay!"

"What?!"

"I wasn't there when you needed me! I... I won’t leave you again!" she screams, clinging to Sunset tightly, her tears still flowing.

It takes a moment for Sunset to recover from her surprise. A hurt look crosses her face before pulling away and looking at Twilight seriously. "You belong to Equestria. It's your home, Princess."

Twilight sniffles. "It's your home, too..."

Sunset shakes her head. "No, not anymore. I left everything behind, and now, I have a life here."

With subtlety, Sunset looks around, her eyes falling on her Crystal Prep classmates, the sirens, and they linger on her friend Twilight.

"I don't know if it's the right thing or if it's what I deserve. But now, here is the only place I can be." The princess's sobbing intensifies. Sunset squeezes her shoulders a little. "Your friends are waiting for you. They’re worried, and they want to see you."

"But..."

Sunset cleans Twilight’s tears and caresses her cheek. The princess clings to Sunset’s hand, holding her tightly. "They’re waiting for you, Princess. It’s time to go home."

The scene leaves everyone hurt and touched. Even if they don’t understand the exact circumstances, they get the gist of what’s going on.

Princess Twilight closes her eyes tightly, her tears still flowing. When she opens them, she can only see Sunset full of anguish. Sunset looks back at her, her eyes trembling a little, but she doesn’t change her decision.

Unable to do more, the princess only approaches, closes her eyes, and gently presses her lips to Sunset's.

Sunset is not surprised, but she does not reciprocate either. She just lets the princess have the kiss.

After a few seconds, the princess separates and gives one last look to her friend.

"It's time, Princess," says Sunset softly.

Defeated, the princess departs from her and walks the last steps to the portal. She turns one last time, looking at Sunset with pain, then looking at the others present, who are looking back with sorrow.

Her eyes finally fall on them... those who were her friends. They watch her, their eyes full of pain and tears.

The princess chokes out a sob, scrubbing at the tears in her eyes, and she turns, taking the last step and disappearing from sight.

When she disappears, everything is silent once again. More than one face shows great surprise at everything they have just seen. And more than one show sadness.

Sunset is stoic, her face lacking emotion. She sighs again, and her shoulders fall. She looks tired but relieved, though a question rises to her head. "Why does every Twilight want to kiss me?"

Her question is said only for herself, and she dismisses it instantly, worrying about her next order of business.

She looks at the portal once more, and then sighs, relaxed. "Well... that’s over..." She turns around, seeing everyone's expressions. "I’ll answer your questions another day. I’ve got something I need to take care of right now."

She passes by her schoolmates and walks to her former friends. When they see her, they can’t help but feel somewhat frightened, anxious, but also curious.

To her surprise, she passes through the group, almost without looking at them, although she does speak to them.

"Come with me. I have something important to say to everyone."

Confused, they watch her pass them and go to the entrance but quickly follow her.

Everyone in the school sees her approaching, until she stops just a few meters from the stairs.

Sunset and Flash cross glances for a moment, and then, she looks at all the students who had come to see the situation.

Sunset takes a deep breath. Everyone present seems to deduce that she is going to talk, because all the windows, even Celestia's, open instantly, no one caring about the cold outside. They want to hear her.

After breathing a few more times, and taking one last look at the whole school, Sunset breaks the silence, trying to make her voice sound calm but loud enough for all to hear...

Author's Note:

In the Next Spisode:

"Almost two months ago ... an anonymous user under the name of Anon-A-Miss, began attacking Canterlot, dispersing secrets, gossip, and lies about many of you."

***

Sunset approaches Flash, removes her journal from her backpack, and delivers to him.

"Sunset ..." Try to talk the boy with concern.

"Save it ... please ..." she asks in a soft voice.

***

Lightning looks annoyedly at Sunset. "You have the bad habit of getting where nobody calls you, and in many occasions you are a real nuisance." She changes her countenance angry with a calmer one. "But you also make a habit of helping others. Even when it's not your business."

Sunset just looks at her, bewildered.

***

"Didn't You know?" Lemon asks with a big smile. "Sun-Shim! You're a star! The school loves you!"

Sunset is stunned.

***

"Crystal Prep expects everyone, their students, to meet the standards of responsibility." Cinch speaks in her serious and elegant tone.

"And who can not meet these standards" The voice of the director becomes severe, almost cold. "It may not be convenient for them to be in our institution."

Sunset feels a chill at what he hears. "Are you going... to expel me ...?"