• Published 29th Nov 2017
  • 3,361 Views, 261 Comments

A Mirrored Reunion - currentlemon



The Apple siblings are put in an awkward situation when their supposedly dead mother shows up in Ponyville.

  • ...
11
 261
 3,361

Chapter 13

“Hey Cheerilee, do ya mind if we talk for a bit?” asked Pear Butter.

“Um, yes, what is it?” Cheerilee replied.

“Well…. you see...” Pear bit her lip. She could feel strange stiffness coming from her neck. “It’s just that, well, I’ve been thinking about that talk you had with Chiffon. I’d like to know what you two talked about.”

Cheerilee groaned. “Mrs. Apple, I thought I made myself rather clear just a moment ago. I convinced Mrs. Cake that you can be trusted. You don’t have to worry about her any longer.”

“But that’s the point!” Pear threw her hoof in the air, stopping Cheerilee from moving. “How were you able to convince her in such a short amount of time! I mean, the first time I ran into Chiffon today, she was terrified of me. And then jus’ moments ago, she accused be of being that—changeling thing you and Burnt Oak called me.”

“Um, okay. What are you trying to prove?” asked Cheerilee.

“I’m sayin’ that none of this makes any sense!” Pear shouted. “Call me crazy all you want, but I don’t think it was possible that you could’ve convinced Chiffon to go home in jus’ a short amount of time!”

Pear trotted up to her friend and looked at her straight in the eye. “Please, be honest with me. What did you and Chiffon talk about? How were you able to convince her to go home?”

There was no response. Nothing but a gentle breeze blowing through their manes. Pear waited for Cheerilee’s answer, but it never came. The mare kept quiet.

“Mrs. Apple, what more do you want me to say? Cheerilee asked, unfazed by Pear’s pleas. “I’ve already given you everything you need to know. What more do you want?”

“The truth!” wailed Pear Butter. She grabbed hold of Cheerilee with her hooves and shook her. “Jus’ the truth, Cheerilee! Is that really so much to ask?!”

As Pear Butter continued to shake her friend, she could feel a burst of power flowing through her. She didn’t know what it was, but she could feel it in her hooves. It surged sharply within her, and Cheerilee took the blunt of it.

Realizing that she was hurting her friend, Pear immediately let go of Cheerilee. “Oh my gosh! I’m so sorry! I didn’t mean to do that to you I swear!”

Backing away, Pear took a deep breath and held onto it for several seconds. She exhaled, but soon felt her body growing weak. The sudden rush of energy from before was now gone and had left her exhausted. Suddenly, the farm pony soon found herself collapsing on the ground.

“H-hey! Are you alright?” Cheerilee immediately ran toward Pear Butter and helped her up.

“I’m fine,” replied Pear Butter. “I-it’s okay, really. I didn’t mean to yell or shake you like that. It’s that…. bein’ left in the dark is makin’ me a bit jumpy. It feels like every pony I’ve met is hidin’ secrets. Not to mention everyone is either treatin’ me like I’m some sort of dead pony or accusin’ me of something I’m not.”

Cheerilee raised an eyebrow. “Everyone?”

“I jus’ want to know what’s goin’ on, okay? I don’t like bein’ kept in the dark like this!” Her eyes suddenly began to water. “What happened between you and Chiffon? What’s that thing you two accused me of? And what happened to the other me?!”

Pear continued to wail at Cheerilee, bombarding the mare with questions and her tears. She grabbed a hold of her friend again, but instead of shaking her like last time, Pear cried on Cheerilee’s coat.

“H-hey, calm down, Mrs. Apple. There’s no need for you to cry,” said Cheerilee, trying to soothe Pear as best she could. “Come on, you’re going to meet Applejack soon. There’s no way you should be crying like this in front of your own daughter.”

“Wait a second.” Pear stopped crying and looked directly at Cheerilee. “So, you believe me now? That I’m Applejack’s mother?”

“N-no, not yet,” replied Cheerilee, much to Pear’s disappointment. “At least not right now. I’m still a bit suspicious toward you, and I’m not sure if meeting up with Applejack will be an entirely good thing for the both of you.”

“Why is that?”

“W-well, it’s because…. um.” Cheerilee flinched. Her lips began to tremble as her eyes drifted away from Pear Butter. “Y-you see, when the Apple siblings lost their mother, Applejack was the one who took it the hardest. She was young filly at the time. When news broke out, it hit her hard. I remember her skipping school for several weeks.”

Pear frowned. “So, it’s true. Their mother.... the other me. She did die a long time ago, didn’t she?”

Cheerilee gasped, immediately covered her mouth and reeled backward. Pear looked at her friend, watching her expressions closely. From what she could tell, it seemed like Cheerilee did not want to mention her pony counterpart.

“Y-yes, she did,” Cheerilee replied, though she was a bit hesitant to respond.

Pear stared at Cheerilee for some time. She felt queasy. Her throat suddenly became dry and her hooves began to shake violently.

“So, what Spoiled said earlier is true. I really am supposed to be dead in this world.” Pear wiped a tear away on her cheek. “Why didn’t you tell me this earlier? Why all the secrecy?”

“Because I still don’t trust you,” Cheerilee answered bluntly. “Mrs. Apple, I mean no offence, but I panicked when I saw you at school today. You’re supposed to be dead. Everypony in this town knows that. So, when I saw you talking to Apple Bloom and her friends, I immediately thought the worse and decided to step in.”

Pear’s ears drooped. “I see. So, the reason why you held that parent-teacher conference was to separate me and Apple Bloom.”

“That is correct,” continued Cheerilee. “Again, I don’t mean any offense, but I had to be sure that Apple Bloom was safe. Besides, if you really are telling the truth, then I’d thought it’d be best if Applejack tell you. That is if she’ll listen to you.”

Pear sighed. “What about Apple Bloom? How did…. how did she react?”

“Apple Bloom was only a few years old when her mother passed away. She doesn’t remember much about her. Only stories,” explained Cheerilee. “Though come to think of it, I heard she and her siblings went around town a few moons ago asking ponies around town about their parents.”

Pear Butter’s jaw dropped. Apple Bloom was only a baby when my counterpart passed away! Oh my gosh, that’s insane! It’s no wonder why she won’t talk to me.

“O-okay, what about Big Mac and Granny Smith?” asked Pear Butter. “How did they handle the news? Or what about my husband, Bright Mac? Was he able to cope after I died?”

Cheerilee flinched. “W-well, about Bright Mac. Y-you see he—”

“Um, excuse me?”

Pear and Cheerilee both turned their heads and found Apple Bloom standing next to them. The filly had been staring at the two ponies for some time, though neither of the mares knew how long.

“A-Apple Bloom!” Pear shrieked and tumbled onto the ground. “H-How long were you sitting there?”

“Jus’ for a little bit,” replied Apple Bloom. “Ah looked back and noticed you and Ms. Cheerilee aren't followin’ me and were instead talkin’ to each other. So, Ah came back to check up on both of ya ta see how yer doin’.”

“Sorry about that, Apple Bloom. We were just having a short conversation, that’s all,” Cheerilee explained, giving the filly a warm smile.

“Well, can we not stop anymore? My family’s stall ain’t too far away from here and if we don’t hurry, we might miss out on Applejack,” said Apple Bloom.

Pear’s ears perked up. “Wait, we’re almost there?” She looked at Apple Bloom, then back at Cheerilee. Suddenly, a warm smile crept up on her face. All her doubt and wariness from before had faded away, now replaced with a sense of excitement.

“This is wonderful! Finally, I can meet your sister and the rest of the family!” Pear Butter turned to her pony daughter and gave her the brightest smile she had all day. “Lead the way, Apple Bloom. We’ll be followin’ you shortly, okay.”

“O-okay,” Apple Bloom replied, nervously. She hesitated to move for a bit, but eventually, she turned around and continued trotting down Ponyville’s dirt road.

Pear sighed. Looks like Apple Bloom still doesn’t trust me yet. Poor girl. All these years growing up and she’s never known her own mother. Oh well, it can’t be helped. I’m sure she’ll talk after I speak with her siblings.

With her confidence returned, Pear looked up with her head held high. After readying herself, she leapt forward and made a mad dash toward Apple Bloom. But as soon as she made her move, Cheerilee called out to her yet again.

“Hold on a second!”

“Huh?” As Cheerilee’s voice rang inside her ears, Pear quickly stopped and looked back at her friend. “Cheerilee? What are you doin’? Don’t jus’ stand there! We need to move before Applejack leaves!”

“I know we’re in a hurry, but there’s one more thing I need to tell you,” said Cheerilee

“Unless this is about my children, then it can wait!” wailed Pear Butter. “Let’s get a move on already! I want to meet up with my kids!”

“Please be patient, Mrs. Apple. This will be quick,” assured Cheerilee. “And yes, this is about your children. So please, stop whining and just listen to me!”

“Ugh, fine. But be quick about this okay. We don’t have time!” Pear sat back down and began tapping her hoof on the dirt, waiting for Cheerilee to speak up. “Well, what are you waiting for? Are we gonna talk about my kids or are we gonna sit here all day?”

Cheerilee groaned. “Look, I know you’re excited to meet up with the rest of your children, but convincing them that you’re their mother is going to be difficult. I’m certain that neither of them will be convinced right away. You’ve been dead for years, and they’ve pretty much accepted that fact for a long time now.”

“I already know that, Cheerilee. You don’t have to remind me again,” replied Pear Butter. “It’s gonna be hard, yes, but I’m very certain my kids will listen to me.”

“I…. wouldn’t be too sure about that,” said Cheerilee

“Huh, why’s that?” Pear leaned forward and gave her friend a suspicious glare. “Are you doubting my kids?”

“What? No! I-it’s not that. Please, hear me out!” Cheerilee staggered away from Pear Butter, trying to gain some distance away from the mare.

“It’s just that, Applejack doesn’t respond well in some situations,” explained Cheerilee. She’s a good pony, but when under pressure, she doesn’t think right. Especially when her family is involved.”

Pear nodded. “Eeyup, that’s definitely Applejack alright. She’s a good, honest, hardworking girl. But I swear, when it comes to other issues, the girl has a lot to learn.”

“Now I wouldn’t say that. I think she’s done a good job raising Apple Bloom,” Cheerilee protested. “Sure, she got help from her brother and Granny Smith of course, but she has plenty of good influence on Apple Bloom.”

“I see. If that’s the case, then I shouldn’t be worried,” Pear said with confidence. “If she’s as mature as you say she is, then I’m certain Applejack will listen to me.”

“What about Big Mac? You’re not worried about him?”

“Not really,” replied Pear Butter. “Big Mac is a lot calmer compared to the rest of his siblings. When put into a difficult situation, he won’t let his emotions get the better of him. He takes things slowly and moves at a steady pace.”

She smiled. A sense of pride welled up in her as she spoke about her son. “He’s a good boy. I’m proud of him, and my other children, but I think we’ve talked long enough. Let’s keep moving. I don’t want to keep my kids waiting any longer.”

Gently moving her friend aside, Pear ran in Apple Bloom’s direction. Cheerilee, now annoyed by Pear’s eagerness, tried to call out to her again. But Pear ignored her and continued to move.

As she galloped down the Ponyville’s road, Pear couldn’t help but smile. At one point, she squealed. The thought of her children as ponies made her very joyful. It felt as if she was a young girl playing with a set of new toys.

It didn’t take long for Pear to catch up to Apple Bloom. She spotted the filly not too far away from her. She was about to make a run toward her, but quickly noticed that she wasn’t alone.

Seeing this, Pear slammed her hooves onto the ground, stopping her momentum. She immediately regretted her decision as her hooves skid across on the dirt road, nearly causing the farm pony to fall flat on her face. As she regained her balance, Pear glanced over to her daughter and the two ponies standing next to her.

Hmm, I wonder who they are? She squinted at the ponies to get a better look. Let’s see. One is a mare and the other is a rather large stallion. The mare’s coat is orange and has a pale blond mane, while the stallion’s coat is bright red and has an orange mane.

Pear rubbed her chin, her eyes drifting back and forth between the two ponies. Those ponies sure look so familiar. Why do I get the feeling I’ve meet them before?

“There you are!”

Pear’s ears perked up when she heard a familiar voice coming from behind her. She looked back; it was Cheerilee. The mare was running straight toward her.

“Finally, I’ve caught up with you!” said Cheerilee, panting heavily as she stopped in front of the farm pony. “Please don’t run off like that again, Mrs. Apple. I almost lost you! Last thing I want is you getting lost or me having to look for you in the big crowd!

“Oh, sorry about that. Though I’m a bit worried about you,” Pear replied, taking note of Cheerilee’s constant breathing. “Looks like you’re a bit out of shape, Cheerilee. Is work not giving you enough time to exercise or something?”

Cheerilee looked away as her cheeks flushed red. “Oh be quiet.”

Pear giggled at her friend. “I was joking, Cheerilee. No need for you to get embarrassed like that.”

“That’s enough, Mrs. Apple!” Cheerilee replied in frustration. Her cheeks were getting redder now. “Did you manage to find Apple Bloom?”

“Yes, I did.” Pear pointed her hoof directly at her child. “She’s right over there talking to those two ponies. Though I think she’s been talking to them for some time now. Does she know them or something?”

Cheerilee moved her head, glancing over to the two ponies who Pear was pointing. She paused for a moment, then looked back at the farm pony with a raised eyebrow. A smirk formed on her cheeks. Then, she laughed.

“W-what’s so funny?” asked Pear Butter, caught off guard by Cheerilee’s fit of laughter.

“Oh, Mrs. Apple, of course she knows who they are!” replied Cheerilee who was still laughing. “They’re her siblings!”

Pear’s eyes went wide, her jaw dropped. She looked back at the two ponies, glaring at them for several seconds. Images of her own children began popping up in her head, and Pear found herself comparing them to the two ponies in front of her.

“I-it’s them. It’s really them, isn’t it?”

Cheerilee nodded. “That’s correct.”

Pear gasped. Oh my gosh, why didn’t I realize it sooner! Those ponies, they’re my kids! Oh my gosh, they’re even more adorable than I thought! Yet, why do I feel like they’re different than the kids I raised?

She shifted her head back and forth between her three children. Apple Bloom. she’s small and childish. She’s more like a young girl rather than a teenager. And Big Mac. Goodness, he’s so big! He’s more muscular than most of the horses we own back at the farm!

Pear’s eyes drifted to her eldest daughter. And Applejack, she looks almost exactly like me. The freckles, the body type. Everything’s there. But she looks a bit more muscular than me. I wonder why?

“Mrs. Apple, is something wrong?” asked Cheerilee. “You’ve been awfully quiet for some time. Are you alright?”

“Oh, y-yes, I’m fine,” stuttered Pear Butter. “W-well, no actually, I’m not alright. It’s jus’ that…. well, I’m a bit shocked right now and—”

“Mrs. Apple, relax. Everything’s going to be alright,” Cheerilee moved over to Pear’s side and attempted calm the mare down. “There’s no need for you to be so stressed out.”

“You’re right. Sorry ‘bout that. Let me jus’ calm down for a bit here, okay,” Pear sat down and took several deep breaths to relax herself. “Oh gosh. Why am I so nervous? I shouldn’t be acting like this, especially in front of my own kids!”

“Just relax. There’s no need for you to be so stressed,” Cheerilee continued. “I mean, they are your children, so there shouldn’t be any reason for you to be so stressed out.”

“It’s complicated, alright!” Pear shouted in response. Realizing what she just did, Pear covered her mouth. She looked over to Cheerilee and found her friend flat on the ground.

“Oh my gosh. I’m so sorry! Here, let me help you!” Pear hurried over to her friend and helped her up. “So sorry about that, Cheerilee. I didn’t mean to yell at you like that! It’s just that you—”

“It’s alright, you don’t have to worry about me. I apologize, I went too far with my questions,” said Cheerilee. “Just focus on your children, okay.”

“You’re right. I shouldn’t be actin’ like this. Especially with my own kids,” Pear said, nodding in agreement. “I’ll be settin’ a bad example for my kids if they see me like this. Need to calm down and relax.”

“That’s the spirit!” said Cheerilee. She glanced over to the Apple siblings again. “Looks like they’re still talking. Come on, let’s go. We can’t just stand here all day. Let’s go and meet up them.”

Pear nodded, and the two of them trotted toward the Apple siblings. As they got closer to them, her ears wobbled. A familiar voice rang inside her ears. It was difficult to hear at first due to the crowd of ponies, but she could pick out a southern accent coming out of that voice. It didn’t take Pear long to realize who this she was, and for a smile to form on her face.

Eeyup, that’s Applejack alright. Gosh, she sounds like daughter. Though I really shouldn’t be surprised at this point. All the ponies I’ve meet today look and sound exactly like my friends and family back home. Makes me wonder if they all act alike too. Wouldn’t surprise me in the least.

“So, let me get this straight, Apple Bloom,” said Applejack, her voice being much clearer as Pear got closer to her children. “Mrs. Rich scolded you and yer friends for being friendly with Diamond Tiara and tried to suspend you for it?”

Apple Bloom nodded. “Eeyup. She was outright yelling at us too. Ah don’t think Ah’ve ever since Mrs. Rich that mad before.”

“But didn’t you say earlier that she only got mad after that stranger came up and defended ya?” asked Applejack.

“Well, it’s true that Mrs. Rich got madder after that mare slapped her in the face,” replied Apple Bloom. “But sis, she was insultin’ me n’ my friends even before all that happened. She started callin’ me names n’ said that Ah was a bad influence on Diamond.”

“Wait, you did what?!”

Pear flinched as she heard Cheerilee’s loud voice rang inside her ears. Uh oh. Looks like the secret’s out. She turned around to find a fuming Cheerilee staring at her in disbelief.

“You slapped Mrs. Rich in the face!” said a flabbergasted Cheerilee.

“Only because she was insultin’ my daughter!” Pear replied in defense. “I couldn’t jus’ stand there and let that snarky mare yell at my daughter and her friends like that. For goodness sake Cheerilee, she was even scolding her own daughter for making friends!”

Pear watched as her now agitated friend began to fume. Her cheeks turned red again, and it appeared that she was grinding her teeth.

“Fine, we’ll talk about what really happened between you and Mrs. Rich later,” scolded Cheerilee. “Don’t think I’m letting you walk away from this, Mrs. Apple."

Pear rolled her eyes. “Fine, I’ll talk about what happened later, alright. Can we please jus’ focus on my kids now?”

Ignoring her friend’s tantrum, Pear continued to move toward her children, despite Cheerilee’s attempts to get her to listen. As she got closer, the crowd of ponies dispersed around her, making it easier for Pear to listen to her children's conversation.

“Looks like ya really had one heck of a school day, didn’t ya Apple Bloom?” said Applejack. “Between yer science project explodin’ on yer face, Mrs. Rich threatening ya with a suspension, and that mare who came and defended you, Ah’d say it was one crazy day.”

Applejack turned to her brother. “Don’t ya think so Big Mac?”

Big Mac simply nodded in reply. “Eeyup.”

Pear chucked. Short and to the point as always aren’t you Big Mac?

“Well, if I’d ever meet that mare who defended ya, I’ll give that pony one big thank you,” continued Applejack. “Do ya know what happened that mare after her hustle with Mrs. Rich, Apple Bloom? Is there anyway Ah kind find her?”

“W-well, that’s the next thing Ah wanted to talk about,” replied Apple Bloom. “You see, after her fight with Mrs. Rich, she n’ Ms. Cheerilee had a talk inside the school.”

“A talk?” asked Applejack, raising her eyebrow. “What kind of talk?”

“I don’t know. It was jus’ between her n’ Ms. Cheerilee,” answered Apple Bloom. “Me n’ my friends we’re aloud come inside with them.”

“Ms. Cheerilee ain’t gonna punish that mare, is she?” asked Applejack.

“N-no, I don’t think so. Everything seemed fine,” continued Apple Bloom. “I don’t know what they talked about at school, but when we left they seem ta okay with each other.”

Applejack tipped her stetson hat and glared at her sister. “Apple Bloom, are you alright? You’ve been kinda avoidin’ eye contact with me ever since we started talkin’ and you’ve been rubbin’ yer foreleg fer some time now. Is something wrong?”

“N-no, sis, nothing’s wrong!” Apple Bloom replied, reluctantly. “It’s jus’ that…. um.”

“Jus’ what?” Applejack moved closer to her sister. “Speak up, Apple Bloom. Did something else happen at school today? Did Mrs. Rich do more than jus’ threaten you and yer friends?!”

“What?! No! That’s not it, Applejack!” Apple Bloom squealed.

“Then what is it?!” asked Applejack, her tone being bit higher this time.

Pear frowned. Applejack, don’t overdo it. There’s no need to push your sister like that.

“I-it’s about that pony who defended me n’ my friends,” admitted Apple Bloom. “You see she—”

Before the filly could finish her sentence, Apple Bloom froze. “Um, Applejack, she’s standin’ right over there.”

“Huh? Who is?” asked Applejack.

“The mare that defended me n’ my friends,” Apple Bloom answered as she pointed her hoof toward Pear Butter. “Look, she’s standin’ right over there.”

“Huh, really? That’s great. Guess that means Ah don’t have to run around town lookin’ fer her. I can jus’ thank her here.”

Applejack tilted her hat up and began trotting toward direction where Apple Bloom had pointed. “Come on, Apple Bloom, don’t jus’ sit there. Ya need to introduce me to that mare who stood up fer—ya, what?”

Applejack gasped, her jaw began to stutter. “W-what the hay? What’s goin’ on here? W-why is she here?”

“Applejack, what’s wrong?” asked Big Mac, who grew concerned about his sister that he felt like he needed to speak up. “Something the matter? It sounds like you saw a ghost or something?”

“M-ma?”

“What? Ma? AJ what’re you talking abo…. ahhhh!”

Big Mac gasped, his voice got surprisingly loud. As he looked in his sister’s direction, the large stallion’s legs faltered, causing him to fall flat on the ground.

Pear watched as her children reacted to her presence. She could tell Applejack and Big Mac were the most surprised. Their jaws were open wide, and they could not help but stare at her in disbelief.

Apple Bloom acted differently. The young filly had shied away and hid behind her siblings. Although Pear expected this, seeing her youngest daughter look so scared hurt. It was if she was being slapped on the face.

Regardless of their reactions, Pear needed to talk to her kids. Only they will listen to her, no one else. With her head held high and her posture stern, Pear trotted toward her kids and said the only words she could think of.

“Hello kids. I’m home.”

Author's Note:

Alright, chapter's done. This one took me some time, but I'm glad that I was able to post it in less than a month. Though I feel like I rushed this chapter during the second draft. Oh well, I guess that's okay. If anyone catches any errors or questions, just let me know and I'll address them.

Anyway, hope you all enjoyed the chapter. See you next time.