• Published 29th Nov 2017
  • 3,361 Views, 261 Comments

A Mirrored Reunion - currentlemon



The Apple siblings are put in an awkward situation when their supposedly dead mother shows up in Ponyville.

  • ...
11
 261
 3,361

Chapter 10

Author's Note:

Sorry this took so long. Crazy work schedules and rewrites prevented me from posting this sooner. I apologize. Anyway, enjoy the new chapter. If you see any errors, please let me know in the comments.

Pear Butter watched as the little filly Apple Bloom stepped outside the school building. She sat down, hard, in the middle of the path. Ponies nearby caught sight of her. Someone tried to ask Pear what’s wrong, but she ignored them. She was completely fixated on Apple Bloom.

I can’t believe it. A pony version of my little Apple Bloom! She shook her head and began rubbing her forehead in frustration. Aw shucks, this day is getting weirder by the minute.Not only did I see pony versions of Chiffon and Burnt Oak today, but now I’m seeing ,my daughter!

“Come on, Apple Bloom. Tell Scootaloo here that it’s her fault that our science project messed up so badly,” said Sweetie Belle, rolling her eyes. Her voice jerked Pear Butter out of her thoughts.

“Hey!” shouted Scootaloo.

“Girls, would ya please forget about this thing and move on?” continued Apple Bloom. “Besides, Ms. Cheerilee gave us a good grade on the project.”

Pear gasped. Oh my….she even has the same voice!

“Well it would’ve been higher if Scootaloo didn’t mess up and make our miniature Rainbow Factory explode,” countered Sweetie Belle. “Because of that, I got rainbow ooze all over my mane!”

“I said I was sorry, okay?” whined Scootaloo. “Besides, you’re not the one who got all that ooze stuck in her wings!”

The young filly fluffed her wings open, showing her friends droplets of rainbow ooze stuck between her feathers. The mere sight of this caused several ponies in the area, including Pear Butter, to chuckle at Scootaloo.

“Oh, geez. I shouldn’t have done that,” said a flushed red Scootaloo. “Gonna take me forever to clean all this gunk off! Be lucky you girls don’t have wings, or else you’ll end up like me.” She closed her wings, still blushing furiously. “Even though Ms. Cheerilee let us use the bathroom to wash up, it won’t come off!”

“Oh, please. Quit complaining, Scootaloo!”

Pear’s ears perked up as she heard another child like voice from inside the building. She tilted her head. Based from what she heard, the voice sounded like another filly, though her tone was a bit louder compared to the rest of them.

It wasn’t long until another child stepped outside the building and approached Scootaloo. It was a filly, just like Pear predicted, but what stood out is that this filly was not a Unicorn or a Pegasus. She was just like her daughter, a normal looking pony. Her coat had a shade of pink and had a violet colored mane with white streaks.

That pony looks familiar too. She reminds me of someone, but who? Pear squinted at the filly, trying get a better look at the child. It didn’t take her long to figure out who it was. Wait a minute, doesn’t that pony look exactly like—.

“Can it, Diamond Tiara!” cried Scootaloo.

Pear’s jaw dropped. Oh no, you gotta be kiddin’ me!

“Girls, we really shouldn’t be arguin’ like this!” said Apple Bloom, trotting between Diamond Tiara and Scootaloo. “We don’t have to think about this mess anymore! We got a decent score.”

We could’ve gotten a better score on our project if she didn’t mess everything up!” counted Diamond Tiara, pointing her hoof accusingly at Scootaloo. “Ms. Cheerilee gave us credit, but we had to spend our entire recess cleaning that mess and ourselves up!”

Diamond then lifted her mane up and pointed to some leftover rainbow ooze that were still there. “I couldn’t even get everything off. There’s still all this gunk left on my mane! I seriously going to spend hours trying to clean this up!”

“At least you don’t have wings,” replied Scootaloo.

“I don’t care!” cried Diamond. She pushed Apple Bloom aside and gave Scootaloo a stink eye.

Hey! Seeing Diamond Tiara pushing Apple Bloom caused Pear to recover from her stupor. She stood up, ready to give the rich filly a piece of her mind; but she quickly stopped. Wait, what am I doing? Why am I so quick to defend that Apple Bloom. She’s not even my real daughter.

“Girls, stop it! This ain’t helping!” yelled Apple Bloom, stepping in between the two fillies. “Look, Diamond, Ah know yer mad and all, but can we please jus’ move on?!”

Pear blinked. Wow, that’s…. pretty mature for her. Didn’t think she’d be capable tonin’ down a situation like that. But then again, this isn’t my Apple Bloom. So…. should I be proud of her anyway or not?

“Alright, fine! But since Scootaloo botched our chance at a perfect score, she owes us.” She leered at Scootaloo one more time. “Next time we go to Sugarcube Corner, you’re buying us milkshakes.”

Scootaloo grumbled. “Fine, I’ll do it. Let’s just all go home and wash up. I just want to get this rainbow goop off my wings.”

Pear tilted her head. Well that situation de-escalated quickly!

“Yeah, I need to go home to,” said Sweetie Belle. “Rarity will probably freak out once she sees me like this. She’ll probably force me into the bathtub like I’m some baby or something.”

“Thank ya, girls,” said a relieved Apple Bloom. She trotted toward each of her friends and gave them a hug. “Ah know we all messed up pretty bad, but it’s no big deal. A little shower at home will fix this mess right up.”

“Says the pony who gets dirty all the time,” countered Diamond.

Apple Bloom tilted her head. “What do ya mean by that, Diamond?”

“Come on, Apple Bloom, you know what I’m talking about!” replied Diamond. “You always get dirty all the time when you’re working at your farm. I swear, every time the three of us visit you at the farm, you’re always covered in either dirt, mud, or sweat!”

“Hey, that’s not true! Ah don’t get dirty by workin’ on the farm all the time,” said Apple Bloom.

“Yeah, you do,” said Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle all at once.

“Not you girls, too!” cried Apple Bloom. She sat on the school porch and crossed her hooves, pouting to herself as her three friends all laughed. Pear chuckled too. Seeing her pony daughter pout like that put a smile on her face.

Working on the farm does make you a bit messy, sometimes, dear. It’s a minor thing, but you’ll get used to it. She paused and looked at the four fillies again. Whatever grievance they had a moment ago was all gone. They were socializing, giggling, and embracing each other like what good friends do.

Pear smiled. Seeing her daughter’s pony counterpart like this made her feel not only at ease, but also a sense of pride and relief.

It sure feels nice seeing Apple Bloom like this. I must admit, I’m surprised she’s gettin’ along well with Diamond Tiara. My Apple Bloom would never get along with her. If only she and Diamond could act like these two. Then I wouldn’t have to worry about her getting into trouble.

“Hey, girls, check out that mare over there.” Pear’s thoughts were interrupted by Scootaloo’s loud voice. “Have any of you noticed her?”

“Huh? What mare?” asked Apple Bloom.

“That mare over there,” Scootaloo replied, pointing at her hoof over at Pear Butter. “She’s been standing at that same spot for a while now. I think she’s been there ever since we got outside.”

“Yeah, I think Scootaloo’s right. I noticed her when Apple Bloom tried to calm us down,” said Sweetie Belle. “Huh, I wonder what she wants?”

Pear Butter gulped. Uh oh, looks like they found me out! I need to get out of here now!

“Diamond Tiara!”

Pear’s ears perked up as she heard a loud feminine voice from a distance. She turned her head back and forth, trying to figure out where the voice came from. It wasn’t long until she spotted an older looking mare trotting toward the fillies.

“There you are, Diamond Tiara,” the mare said with a harsh tone. “Just what do you think you’re doing playing with these no-good fillies? You belong to one of the richest families in Ponyville. Surely you can make better friends than these hicks.”

Oh no, is that who I think it is? Pear examined the mare. Her build was somewhat different than herself and the other mares. She was bulkier and showed signs of aging.

Pear frowned. There’s no doubt about it! The snobby high-class attitude, her tone, that really stupid hair. That mare is definitely Spoiled Rich!

“Mom, I thought I asked you to stop calling my friends names!” said Diamond, giving her mother a stern look. “And stop telling me what kind of friends I should make. I don’t need that!”

“Don’t you dare lecture me like that, Diamond Tiara,” rebuked Spoiled, trotting closer to her daughter. “Now you’re coming home with me and—what happened to your mane?!”

“Oh, um, the girls and I had a bit of an accident during our project presentation today,” explained Diamond. “It’s no big deal. I can just take a shower and wash this off.”

“They did what?!” Spoiled scowled at the three fillies. “Now do you see what happens when you make friends like these hooligans. You get dragged into whatever trouble they cause. Look at yourself, Diamond. You have this... whatever this gunk is, all over your mane!”

“Hey, it was just an accident!” Apple Bloom replied. “And it’s not gunk, it’s rainbows. We made a miniature rainbow factory!”

“You be quiet! I don’t need to hear it from some rotten farm hick like you!” yelled Spoiled, causing Apple Bloom to retreat backwards. “You listen to me, Diamond Tiara! I will not have my daughter associate with these fillies. Especially that no-good farm hick. She and her friends are nothing but trouble!”

Pear flinched.

“Don’t call Apple Bloom a bumpkin!” cried Diamond, trying to argue back. However, her pleas were all but ignored, as Spoiled continued to berate her daughter and ridicule the other fillies.

The mares who were still in the area took notice of Spoiled’s attitude. Most simply shook their heads and leave with their children, while others tried to ignore the mare. Some children trotted toward the fillies in hopes of defending them, but were immediately pulled back by their mothers.

Pear Butter glared at Spoiled Rich and began to seethe. The mere sight of her daughter being berated by her longtime rival made her blood boil.

Out of pure instinct, Pear began to move toward Spoiled. Her eyes were locked on the rich mare, grinding her teeth as the pony continued to berate the little filly. In her gut, she knew she had to do something. Even if this pony is not her real daughter.

“You take that back!” cried Sweetie Belle. “We’re not troublemakers! We’re good ponies!”

“Yeah, what she said!” Scootaloo fired back.

Spoiled merely scoffed at their outburst. “Oh please, I don’t need to hear it from a bunch of hooligans. Even before you got those special cutie marks, you three have caused so much trouble. So, I don’t need lecturing from a bunch of idiotic—”

“Excuse me for a second, ma’am, but can I have a word with you?”

“What?” Furious, Spoiled Rich turned her head, trying to figure out who in the right mind would dare interrupt her. It did not take long for her find her answer, as she saw Pear Butter trotting closer to her.

“Who are you?” asked Spoiled.

“None of your business,” Pear replied.

“It certainly is my business when some pushover mare thinks she can tell me what to do?!” rebuked Spoiled. “Who do you think you are?!”

“Let’s just say I’m someone who knows how to deal with egotist ponies like yourself,” Pear fired back.

“Someone?” the four fillies asked in unison.

“Oh, please. Like I’d be intimidated by some random country mare,” scoffed Spoiled, rolling her eyes in the process. “Do you realize who you’re talking to?”

“Yes, I do,” replied Pear Butter. She inched closer to Spoiled, surprising the rich mare. “You are wannabe upper-class hag who thinks she’s at the top of the world just because she’s married to a rich husband!”

In that moment, all the ponies around the school gasped.

“W-what did you just call me?!” Spoiled stared at Pear Butter with her jaw agape. For a moment, the rich mare said nothing. She was too shocked by the sudden insult that she could not find the words counter the farm pony.

“Y-you dare insult me like that!” She stammered, trying to recover from her shock. “I-I have you know I am the head of the school board in Ponyville. No mare has the right to ever say something like that to me without getting any sort of—”

Spoiled’s rant was stopped abruptly as she felt a hard smack across her cheek. The jaws of the four fillies dropped, as they, along with the remaining ponies in the area, watched as Spoiled got smacked across the face.

“W-wha?! What do you think you’re—huh?” Surprised by the Pear’s sudden move, Spoiled frantically stumbled away, jittering. Never before had she ever been so humiliated in her entire life. She looked up and saw Pear Butter giving her a vicious glare.

“You listen to me, Spoiled,” Pear said in a malicious tone. “I don’t care what position of power you currently have. No one, and I mean no one, gets to mock my kin, her friends, or her lifestyle and get away with it!”

Apple Bloom blinked. “Wait, what?”

“K-kin? What do you mean by—oh, I get it! One of these fillies must be a relative of yours!” Spoiled regained her composure and returned Pear Butter’s glare. “Is that why you ruined my beautiful face with that dirty hoof of yours, because I insulted your low-life family?”

Pear flinched, but nonetheless remained steady on her stance. She and Spoiled soon found themselves glaring at one another.The fillies, and the ponies who stayed behind, watched Pear Butter in awe as she remained firm against the rich mare.

“Well, who is it?!” shouted Spoiled. “Tell me who that kin of yours is. Maybe once we’re done here I can deal with that filly myself. Maybe suspend that brat. Make you think twice before humiliating me like that again.”

The ponies around the area gasp.

“M-mom, you can’t do that,” cried Diamond. “That’s going way too far. You can’t suspend somepony over something like this!”

“Quiet, Diamond!” Spoiled shouted back. “I am the head of the school board. I can do whatever I please to any student of this school! Any parent who dares question me must face the consequences. Starting with their children!”

“No!” Diamond ran toward Spoiled Rich and dropped on her hind legs, pleading for her mother to stop. Apple Bloom followed her, as well as the rest of her friends, hoping that they can get Spoiled to reconsider. However, all their pleas were ignored.

Pear Butter watched as four fillies wailed helplessly on the ground. She looked at Spoiled, and snarled. Her patience with the mare was growing thin. Insulting her family was one thing, but threats? This was not acceptable.

Again, Pear trotted closer to her rival. Spoiled did the same but not before pushing her daughter and Apple Bloom away. The tip of their muzzles touched each other as the two ponies returned fierce glares. The fillies watched nervously as the two mares prepared to square off again.

“So, are you going to tell me who this “kin”of yours is?” asked Spoiled, mockingly. “Make it quick. I have some papers I need to fill out before I suspend that bumpkin.”

“Leave Apple Bloom out of this, Spoiled! Unless you want another smack to face!” shouted Pear Butter.

Apple Bloom’s ears perked.

“Oh, so you’re related to that country hick, huh?” Spoiled smirked. “Good, I’ve been wanting to do something about that filly for some time now. She’s been a bad influence on my daughter. Spending some time away from her will be good for Diamond.”

“I said, leave her out of this!” Pear grit her teeth and stomped her hoof on the ground. “This is between you and me, Spoiled. You leave Bloom and her friends out of this now!”

“You are in no position to make demands, hick!” Spoiled countered. “You humiliated me in front of everypony here. Somepony has to pay the price! And that ‘kin’ of yours fits the bill perfectly.”

Pear seethed in anger. She had always got into arguments with Spoiled Rich, but this pony counterpart made her blood boil. She tried to calm herself down, but it was no use. She’s never been so angry in her entire life.

Out of frustration, Pear whispered something to herself. “Don’t you dare touch my daughter you witch!”

“I’m sorry, what was that?” asked Spoiled. “I couldn’t hear you, hick. Speak louder.”

Pear finally caved, and shouted back at the mare in a loud, deafening voice. “I said, don’t touch my daughter, you witch! If you lay a hoof on her I swear you’ll be getting more than just a smack on the face!”

Recovering from her outburst, Pear took a deep breath and huffed before turning to face Spoiled again. As she did, she noticed something was off.

It was quiet, too quiet. Spoiled had fallen silent, and not a single pony around the area made a peep. Curious, Pear turned around. Much to her shock, she immediately realized that every pony in the vicinity was staring at her.

She turned to Apple Bloom and her friends. They fared no better. Scootaloo, Sweetie Belle, and Diamond Tiara gawked at her, all tilting their heads in confusion. Apple Bloom had a similar expression to her friends, but was more startled than confused. She even noticed the filly began to move away.

Pear looked back at Spoiled again. She too remained quiet. The sudden outburst from earlier seemed to have calmed the rich mare down, but left her in a state of shock.

“What did you say?” asked Spoiled.

Despite the awkward silence, Pear remained firm and approached the rich pony. “You heard me loud and clear, Spoiled. Leave my daughter out of this!”

Spoiled blinked. She stared at her attacker, then glanced over to Apple Bloom. She looked back and forth between the two ponies, trying to connect the dots. Her eyes widened as she finally reached a conclusion.

“That’s impossible,” Spoiled whispered to herself.

“What’s wrong, Spoiled?” asked Pear Butter. “Cat got your tongue or something? What happened to all those threats you were making earlier? Come on, speak up!”

“Y-you, but how?” Spoiled found herself stumbling on her words again. She pointed her hoof at Pear Butter first, confusing the farm mare, then slowly moving it toward Apple Bloom.

“Y-you claim to be that filly’s mother?” Spoiled asked.

Pear tilted her head, confused by the mare’s sudden shift in tone. Nonetheless, she gave Spoiled an answer. “Yes, I am Apple Bloom’s mother.”

Everypony in the vicinity gasped.

Spoiled shook her head. “But that’s impossible! You should be—no, none of this makes any sense. You shouldn’t be here!”

“And yet here I am!” Pear shouted. She huffed, scrapping her hoof on the ground, ready to charge straight into Spoiled. But before she could make a move, she stopped. The proud rich mare, who had been making threats against her and Apple Bloom earlier, was suddenly back-pedaling away.

What in the world? What’s wrong with her?

“You!” Spoiled shouted in a sudden burst. “Tell me your name, right now!”

Pear raised her eyebrow. “Huh, what for?”

“Tell me now!” demanded Spoiled as she stammered backward, pointing her hoof accusingly at Pear Butter. Her sudden burst caused Pear Butter to reel back, who was now questioning why the pony was now terrified by her. Despite this, Pear glared at Spoiled Rich and gave the mare a straight answer.

“Pear Butter. My name is Pear Butter.”

Spoiled shrieked. “W-what?!” “B-but how?! That’s impossible.”

“Huh?” Pear tilted her head again. “Spoiled, what are you talking ab—”

“N-no! You should be dead!” shouted Spoiled.

This time, it was Pear Butter’s turn to be left speechless. “W-what? What are you saying? What do you mean by—”

“You be quiet! I shall not speak to you again!” cried Spoiled, pointing her hoof accusingly the farm pony. “Forget about that bumpkin’s suspension, t-this is a more serious matter. Princess Twilight will hear of this, I swear. When she does, she will exact judgement on you….imposter!”

“Imposter? W-what do you mean by that? Just what are you trying to—hey!” Pear’s pleas were ignored as Spoiled ran away from her school grounds. She tried calling her out, but it was fruitless as the upper-class mare disappeared from sight.