• Published 29th Nov 2017
  • 3,362 Views, 261 Comments

A Mirrored Reunion - currentlemon



The Apple siblings are put in an awkward situation when their supposedly dead mother shows up in Ponyville.

  • ...
11
 261
 3,362

Chapter 6

Pear Butter walked alongside Apple Bloom in the hallways of Canterlot High. There were a few more students this time, but no one paid attention to her. Not that she paid any attention to them either, her focus was entirely on the papers Principal Celestia gave her.

She sighed, placing the papers inside her bag. I can’t believe this. First Apple Bloom being bullied, and now Applejack breaking school property.I feel like my daughters are leaving me out of the loop here.

She looked at Apple Bloom, who walked alongside her. Ever since their meeting with Principal Celestia ended, Apple Bloom remained quiet. She had not spoken up since the meeting and was gawking at the floor the entire time.

That’s it, I’ve had enough! Pear Butter stood firm in her place, called on her daughter.

“Apple Bloom, we need to talk. Now!” Apple Bloom, however, ignored her mother’s pleas and continued walking. “Do not ignore me, young lady! Come back here right this instant!”

This time, Apple Bloom stopped. She stood in her place, appearing to be a bit nervous from Pears point of view. After a moment of hesitation, she spoke up.

“Um, Ma, do ya really have ta talk to me right now?” asked Apple Bloom who turned around, yet still avoided eye contact. “School’s about ta start and Ah don’t really want other kids looking at us.”

“Well, honey, I don’t see any students wandering around here. I’m pretty sure we have plenty of time to talk,” replied Pear Butter. “Come over here and let’s have a proper talk.!”

Apple Bloom whimpered and began to walk forward. There was still a bit of hesitation though as she still refused to make any eye contact. Pear could easily tell Apple Bloom was nervous. Her arms were shaking and she constantly twiddled her fingers.

“Look up when someone is talking to you, sweetie,” said Pear Butter. Apple Bloom, however, did not respond to her mother’s request. Nevertheless, she continued when her lecture.

Apple Bloom did not respond.

“Why didn’t you say anything about the bullying you received from Diamond Tiara and her friends?” asked Pear Butter. Her tone was a bit louder this time. “You’ve been victimized by them for weeks now and you didn’t tell anyone? Not the teachers, not the Principal, not your entire family! Why didn’t you ask for help?”

Apple Bloom remained silent, sniffing as her mother’s tone became louder.

“Were you afraid that your teachers wouldn’t help you? Were you afraid that your family couldn’t help?” Pear Butter walked toward her daughter, trying to get any sort of information from her. “Please, speak to me, Apple Bloom!”

Despite Pear’s demands, Apple Bloom refused to answer her mother. She looked away again, body shaking as she struggled to maintain her composure. Tears began flowing down Apple Bloom’s cheeks as she whimpered and cried.

Pear Butter sighed. “Apple Bloom, what you did at the science classroom yesterday was the right decision.”

There was a brief moment of silence. Pear noticed that Apple Bloom had stopped shaking. The young girl looked up again with water still falling out from her eyes.

“W-wait, ya agree with me, Ma?” asked Apple Bloom as she slowly wiped the tears from her eyes.

“I do. It was completely justified,” replied Pear Butter. “Ever since you told me your story yesterday, I’ve always believed that what you did was the right thing. You were simply trying to defend yourself, that’s all. Diamond Tiara could’ve hurt you yesterday if those chemicals were any dangerous. It’s fortunate that you got away with just a stained shirt.”

“B-but, why were ya mad at me?” asked Apple Bloom. “If ya really thought what Ah did was right, why did ya yell at me? Why punish me?”

“Because this whole mess might’ve been avoided if you would’ve told someone sooner,” explained Pear Butter. “If you would’ve told me, your family, or anyone else here in the school about your problem, then only Diamond and her friends would be punished.”

Pear knelt down on her knees. “You and your friends had evidence. If one of you had gave the papers away to any teacher, then the school would launch an investigation and locate the culprits. Diamond and her friends would’ve been exposed, leaving you free from any punishment.”

Apple Bloom’s eyes widened. “A-Ah can’t believe it. Ah never thought about that.”

“My question to you dear is that why didn’t you talk to me?” asked Pear Butter. “I could understand if you were a bit hesitant to tell the school faculty, but why not tell your family?

“W-well, it’s jus that….” Apple Bloom struggled to respond. She bit her lip and looked away from her mother again. “Ah jus wanted ta prove something, that’s all.”

“Prove what, dear?” asked Pear Butter.

“That Ah can take care of myself!” cried Apple Bloom. “Ah wanted to be strong like Applejack, and like you. Ah felt that if Ah can get through Diamond’s bullyin’ in one piece, then Ah could prove Ah’m jus’ as tough as anyone in mah family.”

Pear blinked. “So, the reason why you didn’t tell me about the bullying is because you wanted to prove something to me and your sister?”

Apple Bloom nodded.

Pear blinked again. “Did your friends follow along with you?”

“They did,” Apple Bloom replied. “Scootaloo wanted ta prove something ta Rainbow and Sweetie Belle didn’t want to get her family involved, so we kept it a secret. But it kept gettin’ worse everyday. Sweetie didn’t take it well. One day, she skipped an entire period jus’ to cry in the bathroom. Scootaloo tried to ignore the notes, but didn’t do any better. She even skipped school once or twice.”

Pear stared at her daughter with her mouth agape. At first, she didn’t know what to say. What she did was wrong, but Pear Butter felt a small sense of pride. She was touched that Apple Bloom wanted to be more like her and Applejack, despite failing miserably. However, she knew that this doesn’t change anything.

“Honey, I’m touched that you wanted to be more like me, but that doesn’t change the fact that you let your pride get in the way,” explained Pear Butter as she placed her hands on her daughter’s shoulders. “You put yourself in harms way on purpose, and look what happened.”

Pear sighed and looked at her daughter straight in the eye. “Tell me, Apple Bloom, was all of this worth it?”

Apple Bloom’s lips trembled. “No, it wasn’t. Yer right, Ma. Ah guess Ah should’ve told someone sooner.”

Pear Butter took a deep breath and sighed. She looked at her daughter, smiled, and gave her a hug.

“I forgive you,” replied Pear Butter. “Our emotions and pride can get the better of us. It can sometimes force people to make bad decisions. Believe me, I’ve seen it many times before.”

“Ah’m sorry, Ma,” cried Apple Bloom as she wiped the last bit of tears from her eyes.

The two of them would continue to hug each other before Pear spotted a nearby clock. She let her daughter go and took her phone from her purse.

“Good. It looks like I still have time to go back home and help your father out,” said Pear Butter. “Thank goodness the meeting was a lot shorter than expected. I thought Principal Celestia would drag it out, but I think I can make it home before the delivery truck arrives.”

Not to mention I need to speak to Bright Mac about all these school payments.

“What about, Applejack?” asked Apple Bloom.

“Pardon?”

“Aren’t ya worried about Applejack at all?” asked Apple Bloom again. “Ah mean, Applejack caused a lot of damage to the school. Aren’t ya goin’ to try to talk to her before ya leave?”

“I would, but it’s going to have to wait until she gets home today,” replied Pear Butter as she put her phone away. “As much as I want to know the truth of what happened, I need to get home straight away.”

Pear was about to give her daughter one last hug before leaving, but stopped as she noticed Apple Bloom fidgeting.

“Honey, what’s wrong?” Pear asked.

Apple Bloom gulped. “Um, Ma, there’s something Ah need to tell ya. Ah know what Ah’m about to tell ya is a bit hard to believe, ya need to hear me out.

“I understand,” replied Pear Butter. “What is it that you need to tell me.”

Apple Bloom gulped. “Ah…. Ah think Applejack is hiding something from us.”

Pear Butter blinked, unsure of how to respond to her. “I-I see. What makes you think she’s hiding something from us, dear?”

“Well….” Apple Bloom scratched her cheek as she tried to think. “Ah think it all started when a girl, named Twilight Sparkle, came to our school.”

“Was she a new student?” asked Pear Butter.

“Not really,” replied Apple Bloom. “She came outta nowhere, then jus’ left. All she did was stay fer a couple of days and participate in the fall formal. Durin’ her time here, she won the fall formal crown and became friends with Applejack, her friends, and the formal school bully, Sunset Shimmer.”

Pear raised an eyebrow. Applejack never told me about this Twilight girl.

“After that, we didn’t her again fer a while,” explained Apple Bloom. “Then the school hosted the Battle of the Bands. Twilight showed up again, but so did these weird new girls. Called themselves, ‘The Dazzlings.’”

“Did they know who this Twilight girl was?” asked Pear Butter.

“No, they didn’t,” replied Apple Bloom. “They competed against each other. Applejack, Twilight, and the rest of their friends tried to stop them from winning the competition. They did, and Twilight disappeared again.”

So, this Twilight girl came out of nowhere, helped by daughter twice, and then left? Pear scratched her cheek. Why haven’t I heard about this?

“Then our school hosted the Friendship Games against Crystal Prep Academy,” continued Apple Bloom. “Applejack, her friends, and some of our classmates competed against some of their best students. Twilight showed up again, but this time she wore a Crystal Prep Academy uniform.”

“She was a student there the entire time?” asked Pear Butter.

“That’s what me and the girls thought, but it wasn’t the case,” said Apple Bloom.

“Can you explain?”

“Ya see, when we saw her wandering around the school, she looked completely different,” explained Apple Bloom. “She wore glasses, wasn’t really friendly, she didn’t recognize anyone at the school, not even Applejack or her friends, and her dog couldn’t talk!”

“What?” Pear Butter gawked at her daughter. “A talking dog? Honey, are you joking with me right now?”

“Ah’m serious!” pouted Apple Bloom. “The dog Twilight owned, or at least the one that showed up at the Fall Formal and Battle of the Bands, could talk! Ask any student around here and they’ll say the same thing! Ah’ ain’t lyin’, Ma!”

“Alright, sweetie, I believe you,” said Pear Butter, trying to calm her daughter down. Though a talking dog is difficult to believe. “What else was different about this Twilight from Crystal Prep and the one your sister knew?”

“Well, she was a lot quieter than the other Twilight and she wasn’t very friendly,” explained Apple Bloom. “She wasn’t exactly good at competin’ against Applejack n’ her friends in the friendship games. Now that Ah think about it, Ah don’t even think she wanted to compete. Rumors say that she was forced by her old principal.”
“Crystal Prep’s principal, I heard about her,” replied Pear Butter. “Word is that she got fired from her job after taking advantage of her students. I’m guessing this Twilight girl was one of them.”

“Then at the end of the games, something weird happened,” said Apple Bloom.

“Weird?”

“Yeah, something happened to Twilight at the end of the games,” explained Apple Bloom. “Ah think the Crystal Prep Principal and Twilight’s old classmates pressured her into doing something bad. A lot of stuff happened and everything jus’ went crazy!”

Apple Bloom scratched her head, trying her best to remember the events that happened. “In fact, Ah think it was Twilight who broke the school’s monument in the first place!”

“What? She’s the one who broke it?!” shouted Pear Butter. “But how could a teenage girl destroy a monument so easily?”

“Ah don’t know, Ma, but she did it!” replied Apple Bloom. “Things got pretty crazy after that. Twilight did some weird things to the school. Me n’ the girls tried to get away, but Twilight cornered us.”

“What?!” asked Pear Butter who propelled herself forward to Apple Bloom. “What happened? She didn’t hurt you, did she?”

“Whoa, Ma, she didn’t hurt me at all!” said Apple Bloom, trying to get some distance between herself and her mother. “She did something different. Ah don’t know how she did it, but she opened some sort of wormhole or something.”

“Wormhole?” Pear asked.

Apple Bloom nodded. “Yeah! It’s like one of those things you hear about in those sci-fi movies! It stopped us and a whole lotta students from runnin’ away. Me n’ the girls were scared at first, but Scootaloo got curious and peeked inside. Me and Sweetie Belle did the same.”

Pear raised an eyebrow. This story is getting weirder by the moment. “What did you see, sweetheart?”

A wide smile crept on Apple Bloom’s face. “What we saw was amazin’, Ma. Me n’ the girls, we saw a completely different world.”

“What do you mean?” asked Pear Butter.

“Yeah! Ah remember seein’ a big-lookin’ country town,” explained Apple Bloom. “There were roads and houses. Ah even remember seein’ the locals too! But the locals weren’t people, Ma. They were all ponies!”

“What? Ponies?!” Pear Butter stood still with her mouth agape. For a brief second, she thought back to the pony body she had when she fell into the school monument.

“Yep! They were all so cute!” Apple Bloom’s smile grew wider. “But Ah didn’t see jus’ normal ponies, Ma! Ah saw ponies that had wings and ponies that had horns! It was amazin’!”

“Wings? Horns?” Pear Butter scratched her cheek. From what Apple Bloom’s telling me, she saw unicorns and pegasus ponies. But those are just myths, they can’t be true. Even in my pony body, I was just a normal pony.

“After a few minutes, things calmed down a bit,” continued Apple Bloom. “Twilight stopped bein’ crazy and the wormholes disappeared. That was the last time me n’ my friends saw the pony world.”

Pear stood still with her eyes darted at her daughter. She didn’t know what to say. Apple Bloom’s story was so far-fetched. No one in their absolute mind would believe something like that. Yet despite this, Pear believed in her.

“How does Applejack fit into all of this?” asked Pear Butter.

“Well, after glasses Twilight went all crazy, she transferred to our school and befriended Applejack,” said Apple Bloom. She scratched her head. “Now that Ah think about it, Applejack n’ her friends had been wrapped up in this entire mess from the start. They were there at the fall formal, the Battle of the Bands, and the Friendship games.”

Pear rubbed her chin. So, Applejack’s been involved with all the incidents that took place here. All of which included a girl by the name of Twilight.

She sighed and smiled at Apple Bloom. “Thank you for telling me this, Apple Bloom. I’ve had my suspicions about these so-called incidents and you’ve helped me.”

“Yer welcome, Ma,” said Apple Bloom with a smile on her face. “So, are ya goin’ to speak to Applejack about all this?”

“I will, after she comes home from school,” said Pear Butter. “You best be running along now. School’s about to start in a couple of minutes.”

“Alright.” The two of them embrace one last time before Apple Bloom walked away. Pear Butter waved at her daughter until she disappeared in the corner. Now alone, Pear turned around and began walking toward the school exit.

Well, that was interesting. Who knew my daughter would be caught up on some big school conspiracy. Pear Butter sighed as she walked past several faculty members and students. A world full of ponies, huh? Sounds absurd, but it’s possible. I mean I did turn into a cute pastel pony just an hour ago.

Pear Butter scratched her cheek as she reached the school’s exit. I wonder, does anyone other than Applejack and her friends know about the pony world? Apple Bloom did say she wasn’t the only one who saw that wormhole. Perhaps the students and faculty know?

Pear gasped. If that is true, then Principal Celestia knew what happened! Why that sneaky…. I knew she was hiding something from me! I should march back in there and demand an—

Her thoughts were interrupted when she heard a familiar ringing sound coming from her purse. It was her phone; someone was calling her. Pear opened her bag, took the device out, and looked at the screen.

It’s Bright Mac. I wonder why he’s calling me? She pressed the green button and moved the phone next to her ear. “Hello? Bright Mac?”

“Hey, Buttercup!” shouted Bright Mac over the phone line. “Jus’ called to check how you n’ the girls were doing. So, how was the meetin’ with the principal?”

“Oh, it wasn’t too bad. Apple Bloom got punished, but Spoiled Rich’s daughter got the worst of it,” replied Pear Butter with a smirk on her face. “Though we might be paying a bit more than we thought.”

“What do ya mean?” asked Bright Mac.

“I’ll explain it when I get home,” said Pear Butter. “How’s the farm? Did the delivery truck come yet?”

“Yeah, it did!” replied Bright Mac. “Came pretty early too. All the apples were taken and we got a big paycheck! And oh boy did we make a killin’! Might as well be swimmin’ in money with all that we earned today.”

Pear Butter chuckled as she stepped outside the school. “Right.” Though some of that money will be going to pay the school. Hope he won’t too upset when I tell him. “Well, I’ll be coming home pretty soon. Just make sure that—”

She paused as she saw Canterlot High’s ruined monument from a distance. Memories began to flow from her mind. From her youthful days with Bright Mac, to the time she slipped and fell into the pony world. She walked forward and dropped the phone from her ear, ignoring the voice of her husband from the other line.

“Buttercup? Buttercup are you still there?” asked Bright Mac over the phone. “Is everything, alright?”

“Yes, I’m fine, dear,” answered Pear Butter. Using her other hand, she touched the base of the monument, causing a familiar ripple to appear in front of her.

She thought back to the story Apple Bloom told her. On the other side of this monument laid a world full of mythical ponies. Unicorns, Pegasus and even normal looking ponies populated that world, and this monument was the key to getting there.

“Honey, I’m going to be a little late coming home,” said Pear Butter. “There’s something that I have to attend to.”

“Okay,” replied Bright Mac. “Is it something important?”

“Yes, it is,” said Pear Butter. “Don’t worry, it won’t take long. Just start picking the apples on the field, I’ll be back before you know it.”

“If ya say so.”

The two of them said their goodbyes before Pear Butter hung up the call After placing her phone into her bag, she looked at the monument again.

If I’m right, this thing is now a portal to the pony world. All I have to do is step inside, play it smart, and get some answers. Maybe even figure out who this Twilight person is. She looked around to see if anyone was close by. Good, no one’s here. Alright, Pear Butter, it’s time to go!

Pear Butter took a step back and held onto her purse tightly. She breathed through her nose and exhaled, bracing herself for what’s to come next. At that moment, she stepped forward and leapt forward.

Author's Note:

Thank you for reading. The beginning is done! Pear Butter will finally go to Equestria in the next chapter! Who will she meet? Will she meet her pony family? Will she meet her pony father? All these questions will be answered soon in the next chapters. Look forward to it.