• Published 20th Jul 2012
  • 629 Views, 1 Comments

As Time Unfolds - Ponimus



As Discord is awakened, an unexpected event prevents his defeat, sending the future into chaos.

  • ...
 1
 629

A Fading Sparkle

“WHAT ARE WE GONNA DO!?” Pinkie shouted as she clenched her hooves over her head. Rainbow jumped out of her daze, eyes widened.

“We gotta save her!” Rainbow started to take to the sky.

“Woah, Dash! How the hay we gonna do that? We dunno where Trixie took ‘er or even where to start lookin’!” Applejack’s words settled into Rainbow’s mind, and the blue pegasus gave a grudging nod as she slowly floated back to the ground.

“How’d she get so strong!? Last time we saw her she was doing crummy magic tricks and making a fool of herself!” Rainbow let out a huff in frustration.

“It just don’t make any sense.” Applejack mumbled as she glanced down in thought. “We gotta go tell the Princess ‘bout this right quick.”

“Rarity nodded in agreement. “Twilight looked so helpless, the poor dear. That Trixie is simply HORRIBLE. We have to stop her.”

“Yeah!” Pinkie shouted with a bounce. “Besides, we need Twilight to stop Big Mr. Meanie-Pants in Ponyville!”

Rainbow rolled her eyes. “Uuugh, Discord… I totally forgot about him. Drat, of all days to make trouble Trixie HAD to pick today.”

“Let’s go, girls.” Rarity let out a sigh, looking back toward Ponyville. “It’s a long way to Canterlot, and I think we should stop by the Library so Spike won’t worry.”

“We better do it quick too.” Applejack gave a worried look at the sky, as droplets of chocolate rain had begun to fall. “Who knows how long Ponyville is gonna last with Discord makin’ Chaos everywhere.”

~<>~

“Spiiiiike! You here?” Rainbow called out as she pushed open the library door. The five ponies poured into the main room of the library, scanning the place for the little purple dragon. Suddenly a hurried voice came from the top of the stairs.

“Are you guys alright? You were all acting crazy earlier, what in Equestria is going on out there? Did you stop Disc--” Spike raced halfway down the stairs before stopping, staring intensely at the group. “Wait… where’s Twilight?”

“That’s what we’re here to tell you about, dear.” The look of Rarity’s face and tone in her voice made Spike’s stomach churn.

“TRIXIE’S BACK!” Rainbow blurted out, unable to contain herself. “She found us and kidnapped Twilight!”

Spike gave sarcastic gaze. “Trixie? The self-absorbed show pony with the lame magic tricks?”

Rarity took a step towards Spike. “We know it’s hard to believe dear, but somehow her magic ability has grown substantially since we last saw her. The spell she used was teleportation.”

Spike finished walking down the stairs and walked over to a window. “Wait, seriously? Trixie… beat Twilight?”

“… Yeah.” Applejack walked over and joined Spike at the window. “We were ‘bout to go stop Discord with the Elements of Harmony ‘til Trixie showed up and ruined everythin’.

Rainbow walked over, joining the two. “Yeah, and without Twilight things are only going to get worse around here.
Spike stood still for a moment mulling over the discouraging news, until he suddenly perked up. “Oh! I almost forgot! After Twilight left to get you guys I got another letter from the princess! It’s for Twilight, so I was gonna wait for her to read it, but maybe it’ll help us out.” Rarity nodded and Spike retrieved the scroll from Twilight’s desk. He unrolled the scroll, cleared his throat, and read the note with the pose of a royal guard presenting a notice to a town.

“To my faithful student, Twilight Sparkle: As of yesterday evening the Canterlot Archive was broken into, and a spell parchment has been confirmed stolen. The identity of the intruder is unknown, masked with a black cloak and hood.”

“That’s what Trixie was wearing earlier!” Rainbow interjected.

Rarity nodded. “Yes, she was. I’ll bet she took that spell parchment, it might explain some of her power.”

Spike continued reading the letter. “As of now the matter is not pressing due to the current situation with Discord. Please come to the castle for details from your brother once you have completed the task at hand. Signed your loving mentor, Princess Celestia.

“Well, it’s pressin’ now.” Applejack gave out a sigh. “Works out too, we’re on our way to Canterlot anyhow to get help from the princess.”

“… I’m coming too.” Spike turned away from the group, walking over to one of the bookshelves.

“What!?” All five ponies chimed as their eyes fixed on spike.

Rarity’s expression turned to worry. “But Spike, don’t you think th—“

“Don’t try to talk me out of it.” Spike began to scan the shelf as he spoke. “Twilight’s always been like a big sister to me and I want to help find her, just like I helped find you when you were kidnapped by the Diamond Dogs.”

“But…” Rarity couldn’t think of a reply and let out a sigh. “Alright… I guess… it’s only fair you come along with us.”

“Good.” Spike replied confidently. “ Best be safe and take these with us.” Spike pulled a book out of the lower shelf and fanned it open.

“The Elements of Harmony! Awww yeah!” Rainbow jumped up in excitement, hovering over the group of ponies.

“It’s the reference guide to the Elements of Harmony, and its where Discord hid the Elements while you all were grumpy and gray. We should bring these along so you all can use them after we rescue Twilight. We might as well keep them in here in case we need the reference guide later.”

“Good thinkin’ hun.” Applejack gave Spike a friendly wink. “We better get goin’. The sooner we figure out what the hay Trixie is up to, the better.”

~<>~

As soon as the flash of light dissipated Twilights eyes began to refocus, fixing on a smiling Trixie several feet away.

“Where are we!? Why did you kidnap me!? What are you planni—“

“Oh be quiet.” Trixie cut Twilight off as her face shifted from a crooked smile to an unamused stare. “All your questions will be answered.”

Twilight didn’t hesitate to take in her surroundings. She found herself in a dark cavern littered with large crystals, with a high ceiling and two notable exits to the cave on opposite ends of the room.

“Don’t even bother with the thought of escaping.” Trixie let out a chuckle as she turned away from Twilight. “You’re in a set of caverns below Canterlot Castle, surprisingly enough. They serve as a wonderful hiding place, and considering the gems are untouched the Great and Powerful Trixie doubts anyone even knows of this place.”

Trixie’s speech was filled with an air of arrogance, which slowly escalated into anger. “Trixie kidnapped you because Trixie hates you, Twilight Sparkle. You made a fool of the Great and Powerful Trixie and ended her chance of shining before the people of Equestria. Now, Trixie is going to return the favor, by ending you, in a place where no one will ever be able to help you.” The blue mare’s words burrowed deep in Twilights mind, and a bead of sweat dripped slowly down her temple. Despite this, Twilight stood tall, confident in her magic abilities and prepared to fight back.

“And how do you expect to do that? I’m stronger than you, and we bo—“

“WERE!” Trixie interjected, silencing Twilight mid-sentence.

“Were… stronger. Things have changed, Sparkle. Trixie doesn’t have time to play, your friends should be here soon. We have to speed things up.” Twilight stared at Trixie as she pulled a parchment out from under her cloak, and as she focused on its words her horn began emitting a bright blue aura.

Now is my chance, Twilight thought to herself as her own horn began to give off a pinkish glow. Suddenly a blast of energy shot out from Twilight’s horn, but before it reached Trixie, its glow burst into a blue blaze as it whipped around, flying back toward the purple mare. Twilight gasped as the blast hit her square in the chest, sending her backwards into the cavern wall.

“Aaah, a fan of cheap shots, eh?” Trixie’s crooked smile returned as she walked over to Twilight, glaring down at the dazed pony. “Too bad Trixie doesn’t have more time, this could’ve been fun.” With that Trixie returned her focus to the parchment, and energy began to pour out of Trixie’s horn. The blue light wrapped around Twilight’s limp body, lifting her off the ground. It pulled her to the center of the room, levitating her over an altar-like slab of stone.

“Wha… what is… this?” Twilight gasped for air, her chest still hurting from the blast.

“Don’t worry, the Great and Powerful Trixie is not going to kill you, if that’s what you’re thinking. Trixie does not indulge in such heinous things. However, since you asked… it’s the end of Twilight Sparkle.”

Twilight’s eyes widened in fear as she felt her body’s motions begin to slow down. She tried to scream and break free, but her chest gave a burst of pain with each gasp of air. The blue energy began to harden, forming an encapsulating sphere around her. Her racing thoughts began to slow, as well as the painful breathing, until—“



It’s done. Trixie let out a few huffs, drained from the massive usage of magic. Her horn’s glow faded as she stood staring into a large blue sphere, with nothing but a silhouette of a motionless pony within. Trixie tucked away the parchment, smiling to herself at her success.



Now all Trixie has to do is wait for Twilight’s friends.

~<>~

...


--SEVERAL MONTHS BEFORE—


Trixie followed the path for hours, not sure where to go after the events in Ponyville. She was growing tired, as she hadn’t taken time to sleep for fear of being found. As dawn broke over the horizon, Trixie spotted an oncoming carriage on the road and made a break for the nearest opening in the forest, to avoid being seen by anypony. She drudged through the forest, faith for a safe place to sleep diminishing as the morning grew brighter and brighter. Eventually however, she found herself in front of a small cave entrance.

Finally, a place where Trixie can rest for a few hours. She found herself too tired to worry about any bears or other beasts living in such places, and she summoned a light to her horn to illuminate the way. After a short walk into the cavern she found relief in a lack of wild creatures, and settled down for a few hours of sleep.

[i[Upon waking sever hours later, she pried one eye open, spotting a wild deer approach the cave. Within ten feet or so from the entrance the deer quickly staggered backward, shaking its head violently before whirling around and darting back into the forest. Trixie sat up, suddenly alert from the bizarre behavior of the deer.

What was that all about? Did it do that because of me? Or... because of the cave? Trixie glanced behind her at the darkness pouring out of the depths of the cave. She suddenly felt a slight pulling sensation, almost as if the cave itself was egging her deeper inside. After a brief period of thought, curiosity got the better of her as Trixie returned the light to her horn, and took the first of many steps into the looming darkness.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment