• Published 24th Nov 2017
  • 920 Views, 4 Comments

My Little Dashie - Just Once More - Lyra_H_Strings



Both Rainbow Dash and her adoptive father deal with the following years after the events of My Little Dashie.

  • ...
3
 4
 920

The Days.

Rain. Lightning. A flash of light, mixed with purple, and a bright, blinding white.

Then, Darkness.

Cold, so cold. But, there is a spark of life. Walls, an imprisonment. An almost familiar smiling face. Looking down on me.

Contact. Terror. Then, Contentment.


I woke with a start. I yelled, promising whatever had touched me a serious beat down. I shot up onto the surprisingly hard cloud ceiling of my house in Cloudsdayle. I glared downwards, to spot a quivering Fluttershy.


“Oh... I'm sorry… I didn't mean to disturb you… I'm sorry…” she was rambling on, obviously scared half to death. I calmed down, and gently dropped back onto my bed, causing a flinch from Fluttershy.


“Next time, try waking me up a little… less startlingly?” I said, inspecting my hooves, trying to retain what little dignancy I had left, after being scared by the least threatening thing I knew.


“Okay…” she said quietly.


“So, why did you wake me up?” I asked Fluttershy.


“I made you breakfast…” she said, even quieter than before, and offered a tray piled with blueberry muffins, with a side of apple cider, compliments of Applejack. Well, she had some left over from last Cider Season. I think it was the one after the whole Shim and Scam, or whatever their names were, incident.


“Oh, really? Thanks!” I said, accepting the tray.


During breakfast with Fluttershy, I became suspicious. What was the point of her making muffins for me, and coming all the way up to my cloud house in Cloudsdale?


“Hey, so, what's the special occasion, anyways?” I asked, trying to be casual.


I saw a hint of alarm in her eyes, but it soon disappeared as she crooned, as she does, “Oh, I just wanted to make you
breakfast in bed. You just got out of the hospital from another wing injury, and I wanted to do something nice for you.”


I wasn't buying it.


“Well, how come I can't remember the injury, or the hospital stay? Hospitals are undeniably, unquestionably, uncool. The last time I was in a hospital, I was forced to read! That's how bored I was. I would remember every detail.” I questioned her.


She was startled, but she has a reason (Read: Excuse) for that, too.


“Oh, I forgot to say that you took a nasty blow to the head, too.” she countered, giving a bigger smile, as if in an attempt to show her sincerity, but succeeded in achieving the exact opposite effect.


“Fluttershy, what's really going on here?” I asked, squinting at her.


Her mind was racing, I could tell. I knew she couldn't hold for long. She was about to spill major beans!


“We're planning a surprise party today because it's your birthday, and they didn't want you to find out, so they sent me to keep you from finding out!” she said quickly, covering her mouth with a hoof. She brought it down slowly and sighed.


“So now you know. I guess I don't have to stay around here any more. I forgot to feed Angel Bunny before I left, so I really should get going. You can keep the muffins.” she murmured, picked up her tray, and headed for the door.


“Hey, thanks for breakfast!” Rainbow Dash yelled after her as she flew away.

Later, at Sugarcube Corner…

“Pinkie… I need you to throw a party for Rainbow.” Fluttershy said frantically.


“Sure! Always happy to throw a party! But what's the occasion? Does it have to do with… you know.” Pinkie Pie replies.


“Yes, I made a mistake, and I think she knows we're hiding… it from her. I don't think she knows exactly what it is, but she knows we're hiding something.”


“Okie-dokie-lokie!” Pinkie said cheerfully, and ran into the back room to start planning for Dash’s after-birthday party.


“Hey, Fluttershy, would you mind passing out the invitations to all our friends?” she called out.


“Oh, sure, no problem, Pinkie Pie.” She replied, and Pinkie tossed a basket of invitations on the counter.

Meanwhile, at Rainbow Dash’s house…

“As Daring Doo galloped through the Jungle of Meriloth, the Emerald Medallion of Kriznoxh in her mouth, a mob of wild cats were hot on her tail. Turning back from looking at the wild cats, Daring Doo found herself nearly tumbling off the edge of a steep cliffside facing the turbulent ocean that relentlessly beat against the jagged rocks far, far below her. Skidding to a halt, she turned to face the ferocious felines that had chased her through the jungle. A figure appeared out of the darkness, it was none other than the treacherous Mülu!


“Daring Doo, we meet again. You appear to have taken what is rightfully mine; hand it over, now, and my cats won’t rip you to shreds.” he said, sticking out a clawed hand.


Daring Doo, looking defeated, took the medallion off from around her neck, and extended it outward. When Mülu made the motion to grab the medallion, she jumped backwards off the cliff.


Mülu was speechless. “She would rather die than give me the medallion… a foolish mistake.”
He walked to the edge of the cliff, and leaned over, only to be uppercut by a speeding Daring Doo, the medallion safely secured around her own neck once again.


“Not today, Mülu!” she yelled, and flew back home, the next artifact located, found, recovered, and placed in a museum, where it belongs.


The end.”


I finished , closing the book as I waited for any questions from Scootaloo. Scootaloo’s Aunt had dropped her off for the day, because I decided to take her under my wing, so to speak, and teach her everything I know. She had potential to be a great flyer someday, maybe even as good as me. The kid was adorable, and surprisingly cool. Well, for a filly, that is.


She had no idea how to be as cool, and awesome, and as radical as I am. That's sort of the whole reason for her being here, other than the “I just want to get this kid out of my mane every now and then.” thing her Aunt had going, which I could get.


Her lessons included good taste in books, so I introduced her to Daring Doo.

“That. Was. AWESOME!” Scootaloo exclaimed.


“See? I told you you’d like it!” I said, poking her.

30 minutes earlier

“Come on, Dash, I thought you were teaching me how to be cool, not an egghead!” Scootaloo protested.


“I used to be just like you, you know. I thought reading was only for eggheads. But, I soon discovered that it was for everypony, not just for eggheads.” I replied.


“All right, I'll listen to your story.” Scootaloo sighed.


“That's the spirit, Scoots. In the middle of the night...” I began reading.

Back in the present

“Can I borrow some of these books to take home? Scootaloo asked, hopefully.


“Nah, these aren't the first books. These are 10-20, you don’t want to start this far along in the series.” I said, and the poor kid looked dejected. “But, maybe later we can go over to Twilight's and pick up the first books of the series.”


“Yeah, that sounds great.” She replied. “What're we gonna do next, Rainbow Dash?”


“What haven't we done? We've flown, I’ve introduced you to Daring Doo, what else did I have planned for today… Ah-ha! That's right! Pranks! C'mon, kid, we're going to pull some awesome pranks with Pinkie Pie.” I said, than remembered. “Oh, wait, she's probably planning my party. Hmm, I guess we can go it alone.”


“Party? What party? Today isn't your birthday, it's October. In fact, it's a couple days before Nightmare Night. I'm planning to go as a Wonderbolt this year, remember?” Scootaloo said, confused.


“What? But Fluttershy told me it was my birthday… wait a second. Today isn't my birthday! What is Fluttershy trying to hide from me? A better question is why is she trying to hide something from me? That's not like her… Something's up, Scoots. And we're gonna get to the bottom of it! Come on, we're going to go interrogate Fluttershy!” I exclaimed, heading for the door. Scootaloo ran after me, struggling to keep up. As soon as we got outside, I stopped.


“Hop on, kid.” I said, gesturing at my back. She carefully got into the space between my wings, and slid up a bit, coming to a stop just behind my neck.


“Hold on tight!”


I lept off of my cloud porch, and unfurled my wings. I headed full speed towards Fluttershy’s cottage. Scootaloo had her forelegs wrapped tightly around my neck, almost choking me.


“Hey, loosen up a bit, will you?” I rasped, and she loosened her grip. Just enough to not choke me anymore. I decided to let her hang on tightly, because she has probably never gone this fast in her entire life.


After only 1 minute, we arrived at Fluttershy’s cottage. I ran up to the door and pounded on it, demanding that she come over here and answer me this instant! She carefully opened the door, her head hung low.


“I really can't tell you, Rainbow. Princess Celestia told me I couldn't, or really bad stuff would happen.” She muttered, her voice barely audible. “Or… or I might be banished, or thrown into a dungeon, or even thrown into a dungeon in the place she banished me to! For real, this time!”


“Can't, or won’t?” I challenged her. The poor mare looked like she was about to cry.


“Can’t…” she whispered. Tears were welling up in her eyes, I could tell she was at her breaking point! I felt bad about making her this way, but I had to know!


“Come on, Flutters!” invoking our private nickname for her. “Just tell me, it's not like it would be the end of Equestria, or something!”


“But, oh, Dashie, it would be the end of Equestria if I told you!” she said, close to tears.


“Dashie…” I whispered, the name almost seeming to echo through my mind, as if the nickname was a name of great importance, of great meaning. The name, no, the title of Dashie coursed through my veins, burning like fire. The fire reached my mind, and it conjured up vague images and sounds.


The box, from my dreams. A tall, thin figure that seemed to walk on two legs, with a face that wore the same smile from the dream. My mind told me, “Father” when I saw that face. But… my father didn’t walk on two legs, he was a pony. A box, emitting sound, with moving images on the front of it. Me, executing a sonic rainboom, the smiling face beaming at me. An alarm, of some sort.


“I love you, Daddy.” I heard myself saying.


A poster, with the words “Blue Angels” on the front of it.


The box from earlier, showing images of the day I executed a sonic rainboom for the second time.


“HOW LONG HAVE YOU KNOWN ABOUT THIS?!” I heard myself scream.


“I'm sorry, too, Daddy.” I heard myself whisper.


“My Little Dashie… my daughter.” I heard a voice say.


But what stood out between all these images… was the darkness. Everything was dark, every surface had… texture. It wasn't just one, solid colour like it was here, in Equestria. As different as it was, it didn't seem wrong. It seemed… right. Like that is what my world was, just how it should be.


But I knew… that wasn't my world. It was a different world, a world filled with darkness. Dark people, with dark surroundings. Somewhere along the memory trip I was taking, i remembered these people were called “men” and “women,” and the “men” were the stallions of our world. I also recalled that their world, the… humans’ world, was called, “Earth.” Finally, after 13 years worth of memories poured back into my head, I came to the last one. Of me being taken away, away from my Father.


The box! I brought a box of my favorite things from my time on Earth back to Equestria with me! I remembered that Celestia hadn't wiped my memories right away. She allowed me to keep them for a bit, so I could have time to think, to say my final words before Old Dash went away.


I also hid the box from her, when I said I had to do something real quick before my memories were wiped. I ran to the very edge of the Everfree Forest, and buried the box beneath a particular tree. I couldn't remember which one, but I knew I could, I had to find it!


Coming out of the memory dump, I found myself on the floor of Fluttershy’s cottage. Standing up, and shaking myself off, I looked around for Fluttershy.


She was nowhere in sight! Neither was Scootaloo, which was strange. Now was my chance to run to the Everfree forest and get that box! Galloping out the door, I turned to my thoughts as I ran. I was almost immediately stricken by sadness as I remembered the fact that I would never see my dad again, the one who loved me, and cared for me, for 13 years.

I was his little Dashie, and there was nothing anyone could do to stop us from seeing each other again! I sped ahead, my speed fueled by the anger I had towards Celestia. She had no right to pull us apart!


I quickly reached the spot where I had hidden the shoebox about a day ago, beneath the roots of a large tree. I dug ferociously at the soil with my hooves, ripping and pulling at the roots, not caring how dirty I got, as long as I got to that shoebox.


My hoof finally struck something, and I pulled it out.


It was the box! It was just as dark and rugged as Earth, as his world. It looked so out of place, like it shouldn't belong here. It didn't. It was from a completely different world, very different from my own. I sat, and took the rubber bands off of the container, and opened the box.


Inside was a NASCAR ticket, and photos of me and my dad. A picture of my sonic rainboom… an image of my room, even a photo of our first attempt at making cake. And there were many more… evidence that I wasn't crazy, that the past 13 years I spent on Earth weren't made up from my mind.


I sobbed, something I don't do very much. I cried. I cried for myself. I cried for my dad. I cried for the fact that I would never see him again, never let him strike my mane, never feel his comforting embrace.
I could still remember his last words to me…

"And I love you too, my little Dashie."

I felt a hoof on my shoulder, and I looked up. I followed the white hoof up to Princess Celestia’s face, adorning a comforting smile. I looked past her to see all my friends, also trying to be supportive in their own ways.

Applejack, with a look of such sincere sympathy, I almost started crying again.

Rarity, who was trying her very best to be supportive.

Fluttershy, who was already beginning to cry, but doing her best not to.

Pinkie Pie, who was already losing it, and sobbing her eyes out. She had a box of tissues, and a bag almost half full.

And, finally, Twilight Sparkle, who was looking very strange. Her face was blank, because she would probably lose it if she did anything other than stand there, looking off into the distance, as if deep in thought.


Celestia took her hoof off of my shoulder, and stepped back, joining Twilight's side. Twilight seemed to gather herself, and walked, slowly, to me. Her horn had that magical, purple aura around it. I knew what was coming, but I didn't resist. I knew it was pointless, so I just lie there, defeated. Twilight’s horn touched my forehead, and she looked into my eyes. They spoke to me,

I’m sorry.

They said, and I believed them. But being sorry wouldn’t get me another chance to see my dad again.


I just wish I had another chance, just one more chance, to hug my dad, to bake some horrible cupcakes, to tell him I love him with all of my heart just…

One

More

Time.

Author's Note:

I hope you don't mind the sad ending, as a lot of other takes on the story have happy endings, with them re-uniting together in some shape or form, and I wanted to do something different! Once again, a very special thanks to RobCakeran53.
I wrote this last year, and only now have decided to come to Fimfiction. DeviantArt wasn't that great of a site, and there is a lot of non-poni content.
I plan to write more in the future, and I hope you'll enjoy that as much as you enjoyed these stories!

Comments ( 2 )

You're a villain. I'm crying. Curse you.

Login or register to comment