• Published 10th Nov 2017
  • 503 Views, 10 Comments

Falling - Maddie Koester



When two foals meet, they become instant best but when they learn who each other's mothers are, everything goes downhill. With both having different dreams and parents that hate each other, will the friendship last?

  • ...
1
 10
 503

New Chances

I looked at the letter for what must have been the 1,000th time.

Ms. Shining Feather

We have seen your request to join the Gifted Foals Writing Academy. After looking over your past academy scores, and your writing achievements, we invite you to finish your school time at our academy. The first day of school is-

I looked away. It was only two days after Platinum got his Cutie mark, and would be leaving tomorrow. Platinum was the only one who didn’t know, and I planned to tell him during our walk tonight. Most likely, I wouldn’t see him until the next summer. Mother and Papa were going to come to Canterlot for Hearth’s Warming, and there were no other days off. A knock sounded from downstairs; Platinum was here. I grabbed a small bag, and joined him on our porch. We began our walk, going through the farm, back to the hill that overlooked the intertwined trees. Crickets provided a noise as we sat leaning into each other, and I couldn’t find a way to break the news.

“This is great, I can’t wait for us to fly together, and finish school together this year,” Platinum said, breaking the silence.

“Plat-” he shushed me before I could finish. He pulled me close to him, and I looked deep into his eyes. His affection for me was clear, and I found myself breathing heavily. Since the first day he stood up for me, we had been the best of friends. Neither of us had many friends; so we had each other. My heart began beating faster and faster, thumping out of my chest. This was the moment, our lives were coming together. He leaned in, and pulled me into a long kiss. I enjoyed the moment, and when he moved away, sadness came over me. How could I ever tell him now? Platinum would be crushed, and maybe he wouldn’t like me.

“Sorry if you weren’t ready for that… I just felt the moment was right…” Platinum murmured.

“No! You’re fine… I enjoyed it… but I have something to tell you… I-” he interrupted me again

“OKAY! I’m glad you didn’t mind… and I just want you to know that I really like you… a lot.” he confessed, and his cheeks were bright red. I gave him a short kiss on the muzzle, and smiled; he looked like a school foal with a crush on an older girl.

“I like you too! But Platinum, I really need to tell you something!” I said before he could interrupt.

“Okay? What is it?” he asked, tilting his head at my strained tone.

“I’m sorry to tell you this, but…” I began, but got a knot in my throat, so I just pulled the letter out of a small bag I had brought. I handed it over to him, and he began reading it. His face turned pale, and tears began to collect in his bright blue eyes.

“Your… leaving. Your leaving us… me and going back to Canterlot. Why? And why would you not tell me sooner?” he barked, and I jumped back.

“I- I didn’t know how to tell you…” I stammered.

“Well, you know what? Have fun at your stupid writing school! It’s not like I wanted to finish school with your, or that I actually love you or anything,” he ranted, and I tried to cut in, “No I don’t want you to make us any more excuses! I hope you have a good life, and don’t expect me in it”.

“Plat-” I started, but he whipped it head around and stared me down.

“Just go away!” he yelled, throwing the letter at me and turning away. I ran, holding back the tears, pain, and anger. It was his choice to get mad at me… he just didn’t understand. Panting, I burst through the door and ran up to my room, surprising Mother and Papa. Now sobbing, I collapsed on my bed, and buried my head under my pillow. There were quiet hoofsteps, then Mother sat down beside me.

“GO AWAY!” I sobbed through the pillow, and I felt Mother begin patting my back.

“I’m guessing Platinum didn’t take it well?” she sighed, and pulled the pillow off my face. I told her the about what happened, excluding the kissing part… and she shook her head sadly.

“He’ll come around before you leave… I’m sure We’ll see him at the train station tomorrow,” she consoled, and I sat up, wiping away the tears. I nodded, and she quietly left me to my thoughts. Yeah, he’ll say goodbye tomorrow.

~~~

Where is he? I was waiting on the platform while my stuff was loaded onto the train. Mother and Papa were sitting on a bench quietly chatting, and the CMC were there with their parents.

“Come on! That colt better show up or he is gunna be deader than a possum near a hungry bear,” Jazzy muttered.

“Yeah, I’ll hunt him down if he doesn’t show,” Hurricane said.

“It’s fine guys, he just is sad… that’s all,” I responded. I’m glad they want to help me… the train whistle blew, and that meant we had to leave.

“Bye Shining!” the CMC called, and it almost nothing to warm my heart. I guess he really doesn’t want me in his life anymore… Mother, Papa, and I boarded the train and sat down. As the train started to pull away, I waved to my friends, at least the ones that bothered to show up...

Author's Note:

A message from Stardust, the co-writer and co-creator of Falling: Ending off 2018 with a bitter goodbye.