• Published 10th Nov 2017
  • 503 Views, 10 Comments

Falling - Maddie Koester



When two foals meet, they become instant best but when they learn who each other's mothers are, everything goes downhill. With both having different dreams and parents that hate each other, will the friendship last?

  • ...
1
 10
 503

Picnics and Roses

I was on my way home with Mom when she mentioned Hearts and Hooves Day.

"Isn't that tomorrow?" I asked.

"Yes, why?" Mom replied.
I blushed a little bit.

"No reason. Can I go get some ice cream?" I asked, since that was my go to excuse to get away from my parents.

"Ok, but only a small. Got it?" Mom said, handing me five bits.

I nodded and ran off in that direction. Once I made sure my mom wasn't following, I turned and headed to the flower shop. When I turned the corner and saw the store, I saw just how busy it was. Ponies were bustling in and out looking for the perfect flower. I squeezed through the crowd and started looking for the right one. What seemed like for hours, I finally found it! It was a light pink rose sitting in a small space in the corner. Then I found my way out and started walking home. 'How am I supposed to get into my house without my parents noticing?' I wondered. I peeked my head through the door. Dad was on the couch, and Mom was nowhere to be seen. Once I was sure Dad was looking away, I slipped inside and started towards the stairs.

"How was the ice cream, Platinum?" Dad asked.
I turned to look at him, and he turned to look at me, and saw the flower.

"Uh..." I stuttered.

"I won't ask, though I'm guessing this is for Shining Feather," he smiled.
Since I couldn't hide my blushing face, I ran upstairs and slipped the rose into a cup of water sitting on my desk. Then hid the rose behind the curtains of my windowsill. I flopped onto my bed, all that was left to do was to plan out the Saturday that was Hearts and Hooves Day. I fell asleep creating a plan in my head.

The next day I woke up and felt a flare of excitement! 'Today was Hearts and Hooves Day!' I grinned in my head. I jumped out of bed and ran downstairs.

"What are you so excited about?' Mom asked.

"Nothing," I replied with a grin.
Mom flipped a waffle onto my plate and I dug in. When I was finished I went back upstairs and tried on one of Dad's bow ties. It was pink and I couldn't get it to fit quite right, so I grabbed another one. Finally after the six bow tie I found one that fit, a plain old black.

"We are leaving to have lunch, do want to get something with your friends?" Mom called from downstairs.

"Yeah! Leave it on the counter, please!" I yelled in response.
I waited upstairs for the door to be opened and shut, then I grabbed the rose and went downstairs. Mom had left twenty bits on the counter. I slipped them into a basket, along with tow sandwiches, a water and lemonade, and a blanket. Then I walked out of the house, making sure to lock the door, and walked to the spot. Once there I set up and made my way to Shining's.

I knocked on the door and Silver Spoon answered.

"Yes?" She asked looking down on me.

"Is Shining Feather home? I was going to get some ice cream, and wondered if she could come along," I replied.

"Ok, but only ice cream," Silver Spoon said before calling Shining down.
My eyes went wide when I saw her; she had a short red dress on, and a matching bow in her mane. I caught the stern look her mom was giving me so I looked down at my hooves.

"Your friend has invited you for ice cream," Silver Spoon said once Shining reached the doorway.

"Hi, Platinum! Yes, Mother, I'll be home soon." Shining said.
We walked away and I felt Silver Spoon's laser like glare burning holes into the back of my head. Once I heard the door shut I turned and walked the other direction.

Once Shining caught back up to me she asked what we were doing.

"You'll see," I replied with a small smile.
After a few minutes, I told her to close her eyes.

"Why? What if I run into something?" She questioned.

"I'll make sure you don't run into anything," I said taking her hoof.

We walked to the spot and I said, "Okay, you can open your eyes now."
Shining opened her eyes and gasped, and her cheeks turned red.

We were in a small grove. I had set up a picnic in the center. We sat on the blanket and I pulled out the rose from the basket. When I held it out to her, her cheeks became even redder. I could only imagine what was going on in her head. We ate our food and we started talking about our younger selves.

"You tired to jump down the stairs?!" Shining laughed.

"I was trying to fly!" I laughed. "Luckily my dad was there to save me,"
Then Shining gave me a cheeky grin.

"This is cute in all, but you promised me ice cream," she smirked.

"Then let's go!" I replied as I stood up.

I packed up the basket and dropped it off at my house on the way. When we got there, our eyes immediately went to the sign . It said 'The Lover Sundae Chocolate Delight! 10 bits only!'. We walked up and ordered that; we both love chocolate so it worked out great! Shining took the cherry, and we dug in. Our spoon kept hitting each others so we took turns getting a bite. We laughed and talked until we finished. I walked Shining home, and when I went to bed that night, I only had one thought: BEST DAY EVER!!!

Author's Note:

Happy belated Hearts and Hooves Day, everypony! :heart: I hope that your Hearts and Hooves Day was magical, either spending the day with you VSS (Very Special Somepony), or were eating an entire box of chocolate! :pinkiehappy: :derpytongue2::raritywink: