• Published 19th Oct 2017
  • 9,610 Views, 190 Comments

Thomas & Equestria Girls: Welcome to Canterlot High - LPFanFic



Thomas The Tank Engine enters the world of Canterlot High to locate the missing magic that's disappeared from the Island of Sodor. He meets the Main 7 along the way, and tries solving a problem that challenge his concept of redemption & forgiveness.

  • ...
19
 190
 9,610

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 28: Swirls That Spin So Well

Thomas & Equestria Girls:
Welcome To Canterlot High

Chapter 28: Swirls That Spin So Well

The day had come to an end and everyone was back at their homes getting ready for bed. It had become a regular routine for Thomas to stay over at Sunset Shimmer's house during his stay in their world. That night, however, he decided to sleep over at Sweet Apple Acres where all his friends were. Applejack happily allowed him to sleep in the garage with the other engines. Though she didn't object to this sudden decision, Sunset wondered why Thomas decided to sleepover at Applejack's until she remembered their earlier encounter with Diesel 10. He had threatened to go after Thomas' friends, both from Sodor and Canterlot High, if they continued their quest to save Lady and get her back on the Magic Railroad. Despite his own quest to make Diesel 10 see the error of his ways, Thomas understood how dangerous he's become over the years. And after almost attacking Sunset, he knew Diesel 10 was serious when claiming he'd be going after everyone he cares about.

This had frightened Thomas into keeping his friends safe by staying close to them so he'll be around to prevent Diesel 10 from trying to attack. Sunset could see he was worried for his friends and accepted Thomas' request to stay with them, if only for the night at least, just to be sure.


Alone at home, Sunset laid on her bed all ready to dose off for the night. She leaned against the headboard, lost in thought about Thomas, how he stepped in to save her, the two of them playing video games, buying her flowers, and the promise they made to help Diesel 10 see the true meaning of friendship and goodness inside him. She then thought about the moment her and Thomas sat together in the band room, resting her head on his shoulder and his on top of hers. She smiled to herself, thinking about the intimate moments they had; moments that made both of them happy to be together.

Twilight and the other's accusations about Sunset having feelings for Thomas flooded her head next. Sunset soon shook her head, trying to convince herself that she didn't. Still, thoughts about him alone curled up her stomach until she became lost in Thomas' eyes again and dreamed about the two of them spending time together again. She shook her head vigorously once more, frustrated over thinking about it to begin with. Did she really feel that way about him? Every time she's with Thomas, her heart beats faster than normal, butterflies fill her stomach whenever she looks into his eyes, whenever he laughed, or when his curiosity, wonder and innocence showed. Traits that she'd normally wouldn't find appealing if Sunset were thinking the way everyone thought she was, but for some reason, Thomas seems unique enough make her feel so in his own acquitted way.

Looking to deter from those feelings, she forced herself to think about something else; eventually going on to decipher the Genie's identity. This made her more focused again and began asking the big question her and Twilight have been stressing over; Who is he? Thomas described what he looked like, the powers he displayed, and what he told Thomas about himself and his ambitions. It all sounded too familiar. But no matter how hard she thought, nobody came to mind. This could be any creature from Equestria, or from another dimension that's also connected to CHS. Given how the Magic Railroad appears to be interconnected to more than just one world, his origin points to so many possibilities.

Sunset then came up with an idea. She takes out her book and flips it open to a blank page. If she couldn't figure out who this genie is, maybe her good friend from the pony world can. Grabbing a pen, Sunset begins writing.

'Hey, Twilight. Remember that genie I told you about? Well, he appeared a couple of days ago and tried becoming Thomas' best friend for some reason. We still don't know why, but I think it has something to do with the Magic Railroad. He wants something from Thomas, something he can't rely on Diesel 10 for. Anyways, the reason I'm writing is to ask you something. I think this Genie might be from Equestria. The way Thomas described him, it sounded like something you'd only see back home. Do we know any creature who possesses a bunch of magical abilities? Magic beyond the norms of what you and I and all our friends can do?'

Sunset waited for a reply. She could never know for sure if she's ever around to receive her messages. Being a pony princess doesn't leave enough room for dropping whatever she's doing and devoting her attention to their problems. But maybe because of the urgency of their predicament, she'll actually take time to respond. As she hoped, Twilight does in deed reply. Her writing all the way from Equestria materializes word for word on another blank page.

'Hi, Sunset! Sorry for the late replies. The cutie map's reactivated so I've kinda been all over the place. As for this Genie character; Nothing's coming to mind. I guess my train of thought is a bit fuzzy at the moment. But if you want my say, I surely don't know any creature with genie like magic. No one that's using it to cause trouble at least. You wouldn't know what his abilities are by any chance, do you?'

'Teleportation, duplication, creation. Too many to list. Thomas mentioned he wasn't actually a genie and was only addressed by that name from Diesel 10.'

'Interesting. Though that still doesn't really narrow it down much. You need to ask Thomas again what exactly they did when he visited him. I'm sure I can narrow it down to a few who may or may not fit his description. Maybe there was an actual genie that used to live in Equestria at one point. Or maybe it's an old enemy of ours.'

There was a long pause, almost like she was still trying to think of anyone who possesses a lot of magic and using it to cause trouble. Maybe she did know, but needed to look into it more.

'I have to go now. I''ll be sure to look into this in the meantime. This is a really serious problem, so I'll be sure to keep in touch as much as I can next time you write back. Good Luck, Sunset Shimmer. Hope you're all close to restoring Lady's memories!'

Sunset smiled and writes goodbye back to her friend. Then closes the book while sighing with worry. She looks out a window across from her bed and stared at the bright shine of the moon gleaming into her house.

"So do I, Twilight."


Meanwhile, Twilight Sparkle had been working restlessly in her lab. She had been trying to decipher how Lady reacts to her own magic when receiving it. She sat at her desk all night going through schematics, data, frequencies, readings, anything that could track and record any reaction given off when Gold Dust comes into contact with Lady's DNA using a lock of her hair. Spike strolled up to her, finding Twilight resting her head on the table.

"Twilight?"

She didn't respond. Twilight kept snoring as some saliva dripped down her mouth into a little puddle.

"Twilight!" Spikes said, louder.

Twilight instantly got up, mumbling to herself while spinning around on her chair and posed in a karate like stance, still half a sleep before fully coming to her senses and waking up. Twilight looks down at Spike. The two friends smile to each other. She spun back to her desk after Spike jumps into her arms. Twilight sat there, hugging and petting him for a while.

"Have you been working on this research all night?" Spike asked.

"All night?! Has it really been that long?" Twilight looks at her phone for the time.

"It kinda has."

Twilight reclined in her chair.

"I guess I have. I've tried every approach to document how Gold Dusts affects her limbic systems, but none of them have shown evidence of Lady's memories being restored." She shifted back up. "But I can't give up. I have to keep on trying. The answer is here somewhere. It's all been documented. Maybe if I try looking at it this way."

"Why don't you take a break and continue it tomorrow?" Spike said.

Twilight then began rummaging through some papers, "I can't now, Spike. Not when I'm so close to finding an efficient panacea that can ascertain the correlation of her retrograde amnesia."

"Yeah, you definitely need some sleep."

Zooming past on her chair while going though her notes, she began analyzing her computer, recorders, and a chalk board with calculations and equations while her dreary eyes battled to stay open. The lack of progress began taking its toll on Twilight.

"Twilight seriously, you're not gonna find out how it works in just one night."

She wore a crazed face and her eye twitched every so often. No matter how many times she's studied the effects given off my Lady's hair, it didn't justify her hypothesis in the slightest. Her sleep deprivation didn't help much either.

"Won't find out tomorrow either! Must keep studying!" she said, in an unhinged chuckled, "So close! So far!"

"Twilight!"

Spike knocked her notes out of her hands, causing paper fly everywhere. Twilight gasped and used her Geode to freeze all the notes mid air, all but one note which swayed and flowed gently towards Twilight and Spike. Twilight grabbed the note then looks at Spike with slight annoyance. Spike only grinned sheepishly. He hadn't meant to almost make a mess of her work. But, as Twilight looks at the runaway note and reads it all the way through, her eyes shoot open.

"Wait a minute."

The papers that were still floating and covered in purple magical auras disappear and fall back down to the ground. Twilight brings them back to her computer and begins typing on her keyboard while going over the stray note.

"What is, Twilight?" Spike asked.

"These notes show a calculation I completely over looked. If I'm right and these notes are correct, by adding all our documented readings together, it may or may not display an indefatigable frequency that'll determine Lady's restoration through the Sparkles."

"Neato!" Spike grinned. "Uh, what does that mean, exactly?"

"It means, we're close to finding our answer, Spike!"

"Are you sure? 'Cause that's what you've been saying since you started this research."

"This time's different," She smiled, confidently.

"That too."

She takes a petri dish containing Lady's hair and the Gold Dust locket Sunset allowed Twilight to borrow for her inquiry. Every time the petri dish and locket nearly came into contact, both containers start vibrating and glowing, growing brighter and shaking energetic force. She takes a tiny string of hair and attaches an alligator clip to it. Then plugs the other end of the cable into a handheld energy recorder designed in a thin rectangle shape. She takes a small enough batch of Gold Dust and stared at it worrisome. It was the last batch she had. Twilight had used most of if not all of it to study their feedback. If her next approach didn't work, they wouldn't have anymore Gold Dust, unless Thomas still has some left over. Other than that, this was the last drop.

Without needing to sprinkle some one, the Sparkles activate and levitate over in a golden aura to cover the entire hair string. Each spec lights up their proximity while the rest of the room darkened in comparison. Spike and Twilight watch while the recorder's readings go haywire as the Golden aura beans off the string of hair until it withers away. Twilight takes out a memory chip from the recorder and plugs it in her computer. Referring to the stray note that she grabbed, Twilight typed away. She had a plan to find a connection that'll explain if the Gold Dust exchange did in deed augmented a positive reaction she was hoping for. Spike didn't know what she's doing, but remained hopeful that whatever it was brought them closer to an answer.

After more typing, quick reviews on her recorder, monitors, and chalkboard, Twilight compiled the information together until statistics on her computer display wavelengths with exceedingly noticeable change in patterns. It showed low readings before coming into contact with Gold Dust then higher wave forms after, remaining consistent until it began lowering again. Then, by combining earlier research made to study its reaction, Twilight adds all the recordings she's made thus far into the one they're currently analyzing and combines it into z single, unswerving wavelength. The frequencies remained high, never fading to lower levels. They even exceeded and surpassed the amount that was recorded previous.

It stayed unchanged. Whatever weariness Twilight had was soon gone as she gazes at the frequency.

"Spike," She smiled, confidently. "I think we found what we're looking for."

"We did?"

"These readings definitely confirm it. Her magic elevates when garnered by Gold Dust but only for a brief period off a small batch. A large profusion of Sparkles retains it in a conserved, unyielding permanence. Which means,"

"Returning Gold Dust can restore Lady's memories?" Spike interjects, hoping he was on the right track.

"That's right! The readings here work in a similar pattern to a neural oscillation. By adding Gold Dust, it enables a chronic bolstering to the declarative memory system, completely canceling out her retrograde amnesia and reinvigorating her brain patterns to it's original function."

"So then, it works? It actually works!" He said, wagging his tail.

"Yes, it does! We've figured it out, Spike!"

"Yeah! That's my girl!"

The two friends laughed and celebrated their discovery as Twilight Sparkle holding out Spike and twirls around in her chair triumphantly. After finishing their round about, they look over the readings on her computer again. The gold wavelengths remain unchanged and high in a continuous motion. Although Spike still didn't understand it, but knew the data displayed on the screen translated an answer to all their problems.

"We need to tell the others. They have to know what we've just uncovered."

"But, it's two in the morning. Everyone's already asleep."

"Oh, right… Wait, WHAT TIME IS IT?!" Twilight asked, gripping her head.

"We really need to get you in bed."


That night in Applejack's garage, The Steam Team were talking and telling each other what they did and the lessons learned that day; lessons they hope to take to heart even when they it comes time for their return back to Sodor. The garage's lights were still left on and beamed out the window. Then, one of the barn doors the creaked open. It was a surprise for all the Engines to find Thomas entering the garage with a sleeping bag at his side.

"Thomas?" James said, the first to notice. "What are you doing here?"

"Yeah, aren't you suppose to be at Sunset Shimmer's house?" Percy grumbled.

"Hey, everyone. I thought I'd sleep here for the night," Thomas said. "You know, just for a change."

'Why did he want to sleep here all of a sudden?' They all thought. The Engines knew Thomas enjoyed staying at Sunset's house, seeing how it's a lot more comfortable than sleeping in a confined shed. Regardless, the Engines didn't question much and were happy to have their friend stay with them.

"There's room for at least one more," Edward said, kindly. "Come on in, Thomas."

"Thanks! I hope you don't mind at all."

"Of course, not," Henry smiled. "The more the merrier."

Thomas smiled back and goes over to where Percy has his sleeping bag set up and places his next to him. The Engines had their sleeping bags against the wall to make a little more space. Thomas was much closer to the doors, situated next to Percy and James to his left side and underneath a window on the right wall. Gordon and Henry had the upper wall next to some crates, and Toby and Edward had theirs against the left wall, also underneath a window and next to a pile of crates filled with apples. Thomas felt a lot better now that he was settled in and with his friends.

The Engines asked Thomas how he was doing after hearing about his encounter with Diesel 10 this afternoon. They were worried he would've gotten hurt, especially after getting in front of Sunset to protect her. Thomas assured them however that Diesel 10 won't be much of a problem. Some had their doubts though, and wondered if him staying with them was because of his concern for their safety. They even started questioning why Thomas has been so forgiving towards Diesel 10, and why he warned Diesel 10 to leave CHS instead of letting the police take him away. Not wanting to justify his reasons given how likely they were to understand, Thomas tried changing the subject to deter them from thinking he was actually afraid Diesel 10 might come after them all.

"So uh, how is it here by the way? I'm sure it's no Tidmouth but it feels pretty cozy already."

"It's not good at all, Thomas," Gordon complained. "It's smelly, cold, and cramped. And these sleeping bags don't add much for comfort."

"Here we go again," Toby rolled his eyes. "You don't want Applejack scolding you again, do you Gordon?"

"I'm free to make as many complaints as I please about this dirty old hut. She is a sleep; as we all should be right now."

Thomas didn't want everyone to doze off just yet. He was too afraid that Diesel 10 might find them while they were asleep. It happened once before, and he didn't want him or his friends being attacked in the middle of the night. So, he thought of something to keep them up a bit longer.

"Wait," He said. "I haven't heard what you've all done today."

"We've already talked about what we did, Thomas," James said. "You should've arrived much earlier."

"But, I didn't hear what he's done either," Percy said.

"Neither have I," Edward said. "I was with Twilight for most of the day."

"And I was with Pinkie Pie."

"Well, I'm sure all Thomas did was play on that strange box with Sunset, didn't you?" Gordon said.

"Not all day," Thomas protested.

"Oh really?" James raised his brow.

Thomas rubbed his head. "Okay maybe a little bit. But we went out as well."

"Oh, where too?" Edward asked.

"Don't ask him, Edward," Gordon said. "We'll never get any sleep."

"Then how about this," He suggested. "Let's all go over our day again until we doze off. That way we can hear Thomas' story and he gets to hear ours while each of us turns over for the night."

"That's a good idea, Edward," Henry supported. "I'd love to tell Thomas what Fluttershy and I accomplished today."

"It's kind of embarrassing," Toby said, "But I wouldn't mind telling him my day again too."

"I suppose I could go over what I did at Rarity's fashion store once more," James boasted.

"Of course, you would James," Percy joked, chucking a little.

"Go a head, Thomas, you start off first," Edward inclined. "Where did you and Sunset go?"

Gordon groaned. "I'm going to sleep. See you all in the morning."

Gordon then laid back down on the sleeping bag and shifted to his left. Thomas began his story and told everyone his day. His friends do the same, going over what they did and this time adding more detail. Some of the Engines were feeling a bit drowsy but not enough to fall asleep yet. Even Gordon wasn't that tired as he soon discovered. No matter how many times he shifted in his sleeping bag, trying to tune out their conversation, Gordon just couldn't fall asleep. So, he got up and joined in the conversation, to everyone's delight, and told Thomas about his day as well. Thomas was happy to be with his friends. It was almost as if he forgotten to worry about their safety and was just glad to be with them. There was no urgency, no fear, no uncertainties, just another night with his friends after a hard day's work.


It was a couple of hours later after Thomas and his friends eventually fell asleep. The lights were off and the sound of faint chirping from crickets resonated outside in the pitch dark of Sweet Apple Acres. The Engines were sound asleep. The full moonlight beamed through the windows of the garage, filling the dark sheds with illuminates of light and inviting a somber yet relaxing space for an old and cramped storage area.

As Thomas shifted in his sleeping bag, two bright lights turn on and shined through the garage doors. He slowly awakens, bothered by the rays directed at his eyes and forcing him to wearily block the light by holding out his hand. He heard an engine idling. It sounded almost like a truck. Thomas got up and approached the gate. He was too tired to make sense of where the lights came from and what was making those noises. The engine kept revving and roaring, so loud that it woke Thomas from a state of dreariness. Thomas notices the lights gleaming through crevices of the gate and off the ceiling slowly dimmer as the approaching engine and lights charge faster towards the gate. Backing away nervously from the doors did nothing to prepare him for what was about to happen.

With a loud bashing and banging, a large, unidentified vehicle crashed through the doors of the garage. Thomas found himself tripping onto the ground and landed on his rear. The doors remained hinged, but the damage done left them in a wreckage state. The vehicle pressed itself against what's left of the gate with the debris hanging loose and torn apart. Thomas had no idea what has happening, but grew even more frightened as he looked up and saw six, large sharp teeth latch onto the frame between the roof and entrance. Hydraulic pistons expelling, they rose up and tear through the rest of the wooden structure all the way to the roof. Each individual plank and chip tore off and nearly hit Thomas.

Everyone else awoke and froze with terror. Thomas got back on his feet and urged his friends to do the same, directing them all back against the far end of the shed. The wreckage started raining from the roof as the entire front entrance came crumbling down. Thomas and his friends run all the way to the end before the wreckage began falling. Loud cracks, bangs, and creaks intensify upon total, demolishing impact of structural wood. A cloud of smoke from the impact billowed all around them, filling the entire garage in a dirty thick haze. The only thing that remained visible were the two glaring lights fixated on Thomas and his friends all backed up into a corner and coughing profusely. The entire front section was in complete decimation, with access debris collapsing still. Thomas and the others peer through the mist and light, alerted by a booming voice and the cause of this all this devastation.

"Knock, knock."

The smoke begins to clear, revealing the previously unidentified vehicle as a BR Class 42 Diesel Warship of a B'B' configuration with a giant hydraulic claw mounted on the roof, which munched down and snapped fragments of the gate in hald.

"DIESEL'S HERE!"

Diesel 10's maniacal laughter bellowed inside the devastated building. The Engines quivered in fright while Thomas bravely stood in front of them. His laugh grew louder and more frantic, completely crazed and demented as he drove further into the shed. Thomas gazes up at his claw and screamed. The Claw was aimed specially at him. If Pinchy had to get by Thomas to reach his friends, it did not hesitate to do so. As Diesel 10 kept laughing, Pinchy kept munching the air violently, creeping in closer for a midnight snack. First chomp, second chomp, third chomp, fourth chomp, fifth chomp, sixth chomp, seventh chomp, then came sudden darkness on the eighth and heftiest chomp.


Sweat dripping down his head, Thomas arched up from his sleeping bag and slipped out a terrified scream He hunched over and breathed heavily. Thomas anxiously examined his surroundings. The gate was still closed, the roof was still up, and the rest of the garage was still intact. No lights peered or engines revving. All of his friends were fast asleep with a few shifting in their beds. Thomas sighed with relief. It was all a dream, or more appropriately, a nightmare.

He got up and walked towards the gate, trying not to wake anyone. Percy wakes up however and sees Thomas existing the garage. Standing in the parking lot outside, Thomas looks around for any sign of light, idling engines, or just Diesel 10 in general. All was clear, all was quiet, saved only for the chirping crickets and the wondering fireflies. He walks over to the porch of Applejack's house and takes a seat on the steps, burring he face in his palms.

"Thomas?"

He looks up and sees Percy standing in front of him.

"Oh, hi, Percy. What are you doing up?"

"I came to see if you were okay." Percy took a seat next to him. "Are you okay?"

"I just had a bad dream, that's all."

"What happened in it?"

"It was just... Don't worry about, Percy. It was only a nightmare. Probably from all the sugary food Pinkie keeps offering me."

"Did it have something to do with Lady? The Magic Railroad? Or Diesel 10?"

"Well..."

"Was it about us?"

Thomas glanced over to a concerned Percy.

"Please. Tell me, Thomas."

He darts at the ground again then exhales a nervous sigh. Then, he told Percy what his dream was and why he had it. Thomas explained his and Sunset's encounter with Diesel 10 earlier today, what he said to him, what he nearly did, and the anxiety he's had over Percy and all their friends' safety. This made Percy a little scared. He hadn't given much thought of Diesel 10 trying to attack them. Since Thomas has, he too began worrying about Diesel 10 coming after him.

"Do you really think he's evil, Percy?"

Percy was caught off guard. He didn't know what the appropriate answer should be.

"I don't know, Thomas. I mean, he has been doing a lot of terrible things lately. Why? What do you think?"

Thomas paused. "I think there's still a caring side to him. I mean, you, me and the others have seen it before."

"That was a long time ago, Thomas. Now he's trying to destroy our home, and all our friends. He's already hurt Duck and now he wants to go after us and our new friends."

"It just doesn't make any sense. Diesel 10's proven he's a really useful engine. Why would he go back to acting like his old self again?" Thomas groaned. "I just wish I knew why he wants to destroy Sodor all of a sudden."

"Well, maybe he just likes being bad. If he never told you what led him to all this, than it's probably because he wanted to; out of his own interest."

Thomas slumped. Yet another one of his friends were telling him that there's no hope for Diesel 10. Percy saw how distraught he was. He didn't like this conversation because he didn't know what the right thing to say is. He knew Diesel 10 was trouble. But Thomas, his best friend, still believed in something more with Diesel 10.

"You're not thinking this because of Sunset Shimmer, are you?"

"How do you know about that?"

"Pinkie Pie told us. I think? Twilight sort of explained it a lot better too, kinda."

"Then you should know why I strongly believe there's a chance for Diesel 10 to be reformed as well."

"Thomas, I'd like to believe he can be good too, but I'm sure he would've realized the bad things he's doing by this point if he really wanted to be reformed. Just because the others helped Sunset see that her actions were wrong, doesn't mean Diesel 10 will want the same offer."

"You all keep saying there's no chance for him, that he's noting but trouble. I mean, sure that might be true, but we should also believe that there's room for our better selves to grow. That's what Sunset told me earlier, and it's why I won't give up on him. I know he's bad right now, but it's not too late for him, is it?"

Percy didn't have an answer. Instead, he kept to himself while they stared up at the starry night sky. The two were silent for a while, both thinking about how they got here, the things they've accomplished, and Diesel 10's looming presence.

"Even though I've never told anyone this," Thomas brought up, "I still feel bad for how we acted towards the other Diesels. We assumed just because one was bad that every Diesel engine is nothing but trouble."

"Why'd you have to bring that up?" Percy said, shamefaced.

"Cause we've all been there. Some of us still are."

Percy remembered back in the day when Steamies and Diesels had a huge rivalry and competed to see which engine was the better. It also reminded him of when Diesel 10 tricked Percy into stealing from and sneaking him and the other diesels into the Steamworks. Afterwards, however, Steamies and Diesel haven't been arguing as much. Some still held prejudice against each other, but they still work together to make Sir Topham Hatt's railway really reliable.

"It's just so humiliating. Some of them are our friends now too. I didn't even know you still felt that way."

"I don't show it often, but I have.

"I've been judging a book by it's cover far too much. I did so when Diesel 10 came back after almost destroying Lady. We all thought he was really scary. But, all we had to do was ask for his help and he did! Diesel 10 Proved his worth and showed us that even the scariest of engines can have a soft spot. You were even nice to Hugo when we all thought he arrived on the island to replace us, remember, Percy?"

"I guess your right," Percy pondered, then lets out a sigh. "I suppose, if you really feel that way, I'll give him a chance too."

Thomas glanced over at him.

"I don't think it'll work, but I trust you Thomas, more than I trust Diesel 10 to realize his wrong doings. I know you'll do anything to help someone in need; even if it's an engine like Diesel 10. So, I believe in you too."

"Really, Percy?"

He smiled and nodded his head. Thomas wrapped his arm around his friend and the two continued looking up at the violet, starry filled skies of the night.

"That's why you're my best friend, Percy; you and Sunset Shimmer are both willing to give Diesel 10 another chance. And that's more than I can ask for in my friends."

Percy's smile quickly fades from the mention of Sunset being his best friend too.


Just then, a cloud of gold sparkles materializes out of thin air and gave off a bright, radiant glow that lit up the darkened area. Thomas and Percy shielded their eyes, hearing off sync wind chimes and a faint sound of a wonky train whistle. Tumbling and teetering out of the misty cloud was a man coughing uncontrollably and falling to his knees. The golden cloud disappeared, leaving the rugged man on all fours, placing his fist over his mouth and hawked away.

"Mr. Conductor?!" The two friends shout in unison.

They run over to inspect him. His appearance was now much worse for wear. Everywhere was a deep, dark blue. The seam of his uniform were pealing off and fell as they wrap their hands around Mr. C's arms to bring him back up to his feet. The two struggled with all their might to help their friend stand. But, they didn't have the strength, nor did Mr. Conductor have the stability to retain his balance anymore. Mr. Conductor lands back on his knees and fell flat on his stomach. Thomas and Percy crouch down in front of him, extremely worried.

"Mr. Conductor? W-what's the matter?!" Thomas said, perturbed.

"Why can't you stand up?" Percy said.

Mr. Conductor tried to speak, but was interrupted by a gravelly cough. He supported himself on his arms and yakked away again. All Thomas and Percy could do was wait until he was done. After a while, he spoke up, looking back at Thomas and Percy questionably with watery eyes and red all over his face.

"Thomas? Percy?" he said in a hoarse voice.

"Yes, Sir?" Thomas said.

He was a bit muddled by their human appearance, but didn't have the energy to question where they were and why they're people now. He wanted to smile at them, but was in too much pain to so much as muster one.

"Thank goodness I found you."

"How did you find us?" Thomas asked.

"It wasn't easy. I've looked everywhere. Been to many worlds. The Gold Dust I gave you. I traced it back to you with a small batch I got from Muffle Mountain."

"Muffle Mountain?" Percy asked.

"Did you find Lady? Thomas?" Mr. C asked.

"Yes," Thomas began, hesitantly. "She's safe right now. But, something's happened to her, Sir. Lady doesn't remember any of us or that she's a magical engine."

Mr. Conductor gently rests his head back on the ground.

"Then it really is worse than we thought."

Thomas explained the situation, what world they're in, what they've been doing the past week, and the plan they initially have on bringing Lady back to the Magic Railroad. He rubbed his head shamefully.

"And, Diesel 10 really is behind all this."

"Along with some genie guy," Percy imputed. "They trying to take over and destroy Sodor,".

Mr. Conductor was puzzled. He knew Diesel 10 was the cause of this, but this was the first he's heard of any Genie being involved. He wearily looked up at his friends.

"Listen. Thomas. Percy."

"Why are you still sick, Sir?" Percy interrupts. "I thought Diesel 10 said he wouldn't use his Sparkles on us anymore?"

"He meant use it on any of us," Thomas said. "Diesel 10's still using what he's allowed to all on Mr. Conductor."

Mr. Conductor could barely speak. Each time he did, a cough sneaks up on him. He spoke slowly and wearily in a raspy tone.

"The corruption is too strong. It's happening because of him. But the Railroad itself. Is falling apart."

"How do you know?" Thomas asked.

"Wasn't there. When I traveled. Prolonged influence. Is rubbing off. On everything. Connected to the Sparkles. Including, you two. Myself. And the others."

"Wait, we can't all be connected. Thomas is the only one carrying Gold Dust inside him. How can the Magic Railroad hurt us unless it's Diesel 10 doing so?" Percy asked confused.

"No. You too. Our worlds. All connected. The negative incentive. Is already affecting me. It'll destroy. Everyone of you. Even without. An engine running. The Magic Railroad!"

Thomas and Percy shared a glance, aghast and concerned. Diesel 10's not only destroying everyone and everything on Sodor, but his run on the line is also destroying the Magic Railroad. And if they don't get Lady back onto the line while it slowly deteriorates, it'll carry over onto Sodor, CHS, and every other world connected to the Railroad, causing each dimension to crumble into total chaos and destruction until there's nothing left of either dimensions. Their universe was falling apart.

"What do we do, Sir?" Thomas asked.

He coughed. "I don't, have much time. Listen. There's more to the clue. The clue. That can restore Lady's magic again."

"The Clue? Oh, the clue!" Thomas gasped in realization. "The one you uncovered last time we searched for Lady!"

"Stoke up the magic in the mountain, and the lady will smile," He rephrased. "Then watch the swirls that spin so well."

"That's it! I can't believe I forgot all about it. We might have to give Lady her magic back after all!"

"But will it fix her memories?" Percy asked.

"There's more to it," Mr. Conductor said.

Thomas raised a brow. "But, Sir, how could there be more?"

He tired with all his will to hold back a cough. His face turned red until he finally released another loud hack.

"Went to Burnett Stone. He has. More Gold Dust."

"At Muffle Mountain," Percy confirmed.

"Yes. Told him. About Lady. Disappearance. H-he knows, everything. That's when we discovered more. To the clue. And the fall. Of the Railroad. Maybe this'll help you. Help Lady."

"We're listening, Sir." Thomas said.

The two leaned in close to hear better. Mr. Conductor lifted himself up, balanced on his arms, then spoke to them the new clue.

"When light behind the mountain disappears, as a sparkling well shimmers dim, stoke up the magic in the mountain, and the lady will smile. Then watch the swirls that spin so well. For out of the deep gold shall appear, and in it's wake, reclamation and reformation will recur."

"What does any of that mean?" Percy asked, very confused.

They asked Mr. Conductor to repeat the message for clarification, which he does, finishing off with another cough that knocks him back down on his stomach.

"I think I know what it's saying," Thomas said, though still a bit unsure himself. "We just have to restore her magic, and doing so will then make Lady remember who she is again. That's what we've been trying to find out. And now, the clue states something more to her power that we never knew about. Why else would there more to it that talks as if it'll work?"

"But, we don't know if it means she'll regain her memories of us; about being an engine."

"We won't know until Twilight's done studying her magic."

Thomas turned his attention to Mr. Conductor. "Mr. Conductor. Our friend Twilight Sparkle is studying Lady's magic to see if returning Gold Dust will make her remember herself. She's really smart, so she'll be able to tell us if it's true or not."

Mr. Conductor looks up and forces himself a smile to no avail, but signifies his assurance in him and his friend. Then, he tried lifting himself back up again by supporting his upper body with his arms. Percy steps in for support, holding him steady. With carefully trembling hands, he removes his whistle hung around his neck. Hands jittering, he holds it out for Thomas and waits for him to accept it. Thomas didn't know what he was doing and looked at Mr. Conductor, eyeing him with inclination to take the whistle. Still uncertain, Thomas takes the whistle from his hand. The chain link slips off his delicate palms. Mr. Conductor'd hand flows back on the ground to keep him supported. Thomas examined the whistle. It was cylinder shaped with a metallic silver glean. It has a ring hook attached with a stainless steel ornamental chain. Unlike Mr. Conductor, it was the only thing that remained unscathed.

"What do you want me to do with this?" Thomas asked confused.

He coughed violently, causing his battened, worn out hat to fall off and land on the ground.

"Refill the whistle. Burnett, will be expecting you. He'll explain. Go now. Thomas. You must trace the clue. Back to its source."

"Back to its source?" Thomas looked at Percy then back at him. "But, why don't we use what's left in here?"

Mr. Conductor faced the ground with downcast eyes.

"I used it all up. Looking for you. Too keep myself protected. From the corruption. As long as I could. That was my last use."

Perplexed, thomas and Percy stared at him. Then, Mr. C leaned back up without struggle while remaining kneeled on his knees.

"Besides, It's already settled," Mr. Conductor said, his voice no longer raspy.

"What?" Thomas asked, still confused.

"Until harmony returns to the Magic Railroad, I must leave. Somewhere where the magic cannot corrupt me anymore. Everyone back at Shining Time is safe. Sodor is in good hands. They won't need my help anymore. Not for now at least." He sighed heavily. "And either will you two."

"You're not gonna help us save Lady?"

Mr. Conductor shook his head. "This journey is yours now. It always has been."

"But, w-what about you?" Thomas nearly whimpered. "Where will you go?"

"You must save us all, Thomas. Only you can bring balance back to our worlds. Use the magic within you to unite us in harmony once more. Promise me, Thomas. Promise me you will."

Thomas didn't know what he was babbling on about, but was as true to his word.

"I-I will, Mr. Conductor. I will try."

Mr. Conductor sighed a happy relief. "Good. Thank you, Thomas. And thank you, Percy."

"For what?" Percy asked.

"For being my friends."

While Thomas hasn't quite reached that point just yet, Percy was already beginning to tear up. If he's not returning back home then where will he go? How will they save Sodor without his guidance? Just then, Gold Dust started encompassing Mr. Conductor, glowing and clinging to every surface of his being. Calming wind chimes jingle and twinkle with the bright golden mist resonating all over, brightening their vicinity within the dimness of the night. Thomas and Percy were bewildered. They didn't know was happening to him.

"I must go now," He said, staring up at the stars.

"But, you can't leave us," Thomas pleaded. "Please! I don't know what I'm doing. Tell me what I have to do!"

He looked back down at Thomas and Percy. With no more pain welling inside him, he smiled proudly at the two tank engines.

"Goodbye."

Gold Dust slowly makes its way over and covers his entire face, until his bright and lively grin could no longer be seen admits the cloud of dust.

"No! Mr. Conductor, please. Don't go!"

The golden cloud grew in mass, glowing brighter than sunny rays. And with a gust of soothing wind, the mist of Gold Dust soars off and flows through the air. One by one, a stream of Sparkles rides along the majestic breeze of the wind into the night sky like a school of fish following each others trail, until the whole assemblage surrounding Mr. Conductor diminishes in brightness and space, leaving nothing behind but his hat. The two friends watch the remaining Gold Dust sail away until there was no more left to be had.

After sitting there for what felt like forever, Thomas reaches over and picks up Mr. Conductors hat, which automatically began to repair itself upon contact with Thomas; filling in the missing brim, gold conductor logo, and stitching up the torn seams back to it's bright blue and red coloring.

Thomas heard Percy sniffing and looked to see him holding back some tears still. Percy buried himself in Thomas' shirt. Thomas pulls him in, resting his head on Percy's as the two continued their lamentation. At the moment they needed Mr. Conductor the most, he would no longer be able to aid them on their journey. It was now all up to them. Letting go, they look at Mr. Conductors fully repaired hat in Thomas' right hand, still mourning the loss of their good friend.

"What do we do now, Thomas?" Percy asked, wiping some left-over tears.

He had no idea. Mr. Conductor kept mentioning Burnett Stone, the clue, and him providing more Gold Dust. With a lot more on the line now, their world, their friends, both Sodor and Canterlot, and now Mr. Conductor too, had to be rescued and returned to normal before the damage done to Magic Railroad becomes permanent and their way of life and magic is lost forever. Gold Dust had to be the answer. Only by returning Lady's magic can Thomas set thing right. Only by using the magic inside him, the residual Gold Dust Thomas assumed, can he bring back harmony to their worlds again. He examines the whistle in his left hand and clenches it tightly. He had no idea if this was the right move. From what Mr. Conductor told him about the clue, only one thing was for certain.

"I'm going back to Muffle Mountain."


To Be Continued.

PreviousChapters Next