• Published 19th Oct 2017
  • 9,592 Views, 190 Comments

Thomas & Equestria Girls: Welcome to Canterlot High - LPFanFic



Thomas The Tank Engine enters the world of Canterlot High to locate the missing magic that's disappeared from the Island of Sodor. He meets the Main 7 along the way, and tries solving a problem that challenge his concept of redemption & forgiveness.

  • ...
19
 190
 9,592

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 31: Who Are You?

Thomas & Equestria Girls:
Welcome To Canterlot High

Chapter 31: Who Are You?

Sunset Shimmer barged through the door as her and Thomas limped into the living room of her house. She sat down a groaning Thomas gently on the couch and inspected him all over. A few bruises and barely visible cuts where all she could make out. He may have made it out with a few minor marks, but it didn't leave him unscathed. His clothes were ripped to shreds with sleeves dangling off and the hood of his sweater missing. Teeth marks were shown from his shirt's torn collar, pants sleeves, and other random spots on his sweater.

Diesel 10 did a number on him after Thomas tried convincing him to help bring Lady back to the Magic Railroad. But his hatred towards everyone on Sodor was too strong, along with his self-appointed decision to stay the evil diesel engine everybody says he is. Thomas still wouldn't give up on him. And as a result, Diesel 10 nearly tore him up to get Mr. Conductor's magic whistle.

Sunset left to fetch a few things then met with Thomas by the couch again. She places a couple of rags, a bottle of peroxide, a small bowl of ice and a set of clothes on the coffee table. Sunset started by taking a rag, folds it up, pressed it against the peroxide bottle to pour some onto it. She turns and crouches down in front of Thomas.

"This may hurt a little," She advised.

She reached over to a cut on his shoulder, visible through a sleeve that was no longer attached. Sunset gently taps it before pulling away so Thomas could grab his shoulder and suck air through his teeth. After relieving some pain, Sunset moved his arm away and tapped his shoulder again. It was still a little painful at first, but Thomas finished wincing and allowed her to treat the rest of his cuts. She ragged any visible marks and used the other end of the rag to wipe off some smudges on Thomas' face. Next, Sunset grabbed another rag, placed tiny ice cubes in it, then wrapped and tied a knot around them. She hands it to Thomas and instructed which areas to apply it. Thomas holds the bag of ice on his left upper arm.

"That should do for now," She said.

Thomas hugged his arms while staring down at the floor, looking very distressed. Why did Diesel 10 not want to save Sodor? He knew Diesel 10 was sent away for scrap, but Thomas thought all would be forgiven if he offered him a chance to save Lady. The state of the Magic Railroad, Lady's memories, and his reputation. All would've been forgiven had he aided in fixing it all. But Diesel 10 was more obsessed with destroying everything he believed wronged him. How could someone be aware of the wrong they're doing and not want to make themselves better by redeeming their actions?

Sunset knew how much Thomas wanted to save Diesel 10; to have him back on Sodor where he can be a really useful engine again. Sunset felt hypocritical for disagreeing with him, seeing how she once stooped to his level once before. So, she tried siding with Thomas' and his pursuit to redeem Diesel 10 despite the doubts her and Thomas' friends had. The Magic of Friendship has always worked in the past. So why didn't it work with Diesel 10? Maybe he really was too far gone. It was clear to her that Diesel 10 may have been the wrong engine to try and offer a second chance. And perhaps most of all, a hand in friendship.

Sunset breathed a heavy sigh.

"Thomas. Don't ever do that again," she said, perturbed.

He looked at her with wide eyes then back down at the floor, feeling miserable. Thomas shut his eyes, and pressed his forehead gently on Sunset's. She didn't react or object. She shuts her eyes as well. Neither of them said or did anything for a while. Eventually, Sunset shifted back to the table. She grabbed and held out a set of clothes in her hands.

Thomas saw and recognized them instantly. It was the same set of clothes he wore when he first came through the portal. The blue and white jersey with a prominent yellow number one sewn on the front with red stitching fabric. His sky-blue zipper sweater with red on the inside of the hood. Blue trousers and grey converse with red laces and design. They were folded up and neatly stacked with his shoes placed at the very top.

"Rarity wanted me to donate these. But I figured I'd keep them just in case, well, you know."

Thomas examined his current attire, reminding himself of the dark shadow that would knock him unconscious and tear away his being. Sunset hung her head.

"I'm so sorry, Thomas. I know how much," Sunset stopped herself.

Something came to mind. Something she forgot to tell Thomas nights ago. But, was this really the right time to bring it up? He more than deserves to know, he always has. Seeing him so torn up about Diesel 10 made her want to help Thomas feel better somehow, to retain that hope in people's ability to change for the better no matter their past actions. She glumly placed Thomas' clothes back on the table. Plucking up courage, Sunset revealed important details about her past.

"I was the one who stole Princess Twilight's crown."

It took Thomas a few seconds to catch what she just said. When it did, his eyes widened in shock. Sunset's head continued to hang low.

"I, wanted to use its power to rule Equestria. So, I stole her crown, the crown containing the Element of Magic, and used it on myself to enslave the entire school for my own personal army."

Thomas hugged himself even tighter.

"I don't feel good."

Sunset looked at him worried. Poor Thomas couldn't comprehend everything that just happened earlier and what went wrong. And now, he's discovered even more details about Sunset's past that only added to his confusion. She really has done horrible things. But how was she able to come to her senses afterwards? Could it have been Princess Twilight and her friends? What did they have to do with her redemption?

"I meant to tell you the night when we talked about my past, but... I don't know. I didn't want to open even more old wounds."

Thomas didn't have a response, losing himself in his own thoughts with even more details blurring his mind.

"There's just some people you can't change; who don't want to change. I was almost too far gone by that point." Sunset didn't want to say anymore.

"But you changed though," Thomas said.

"I know."

"Even the others helped you after,"

"I know." She sighed, "It's just, not the same."

"How is it not the same?!" He asked, growing a bit frustrated. "Your case is exactly like his now more than it ever was."

"Thomas-"

"Why isn't he helping us save Lady?!" He waved the Magic Whistle out in front of her, "This should've stopped him from going after her!"

She had no idea how to explain in a way Thomas could understand. He truly believed Diesel 10 would realize his evil ways and put an end to his schemes. But it was just as Diesel 10 said there was nothing good left for him to go back to. He believed in this more than he did doing what was right. All he really wants now is for everything to be destroyed. Thomas couldn't fathom why someone would do such horrible acts. Maybe the diesel engine he thought was good really was just an act to fit in. Was his and the other diesel's mistreatment on Sodor really that bad?

Sunset felt she said too much, seeing Thomas appear more troubled and conflicted than ever. She got up and headed to the kitchen to fetch a bottle of orange juice and placed it on the table. Thomas laid himself down on the couch and rested his head on the arm rest. Sunset knelt down in front of him again. She wanted to change the subject to avoid making Thomas more upset.

"Look, I know this may not be an appropriate time right now, but maybe it'll get your mind off the subject. So, you mind if I ask a question?"

He looked at her curiously.

"I think I'm close to figuring out the Genie's identity. Can I use my Geode to see your thoughts? Maybe watching what you saw will give us the answer we're looking for."

Thomas allowed her to and held out his arm for her to hold. Her eyes turn a snow white as they peer into Thomas' thoughts. She sees him and the Genie both talking about Diesel 10. Then sees him using his power to convince Thomas into becoming his friend. She paid attention to how he talked, how he moved, his mannerisms, anything remotely distinguishable. Sunset let's go.

"Well?" Thomas asked.

She shook her head. The disadvantage for Sunset, while she's studied every possible magic spell and abilities, she never got around to learning about mystic legends about the kingdom. Even if she could name most of them, only a name alone can really identify who they're really up against. Sunset then got up again and walked over to the front door. She grabbed her satchel and hanged it over her shoulder.

"I'm gonna run to the pharmacy real quick."

"What if the Genie shows up again?" Thomas asked, raising his head up.

Sunset stopped inches from heading out the door. She hadn't thought about the Genie showing up again. If Thomas is left alone, he could appear and try to persuade him like he did last time. Shifting back with worry, Sunset and Thomas look at each other, wondering what they should do. He can't go with her just yet, but Sunset needed to fetch more supplies.

"I won't be gone long. If he does show up, we can count on him not hurting you at least. Just don't fall for anything he says."

Thomas laid his head back on the arm rest and stared at the floor nervously. Sunset turned back and heads out, closing the door behind and leaving Thomas alone in her house.


Thomas laid on the couch for a good few minutes before sitting up. He took the bottle of orange juice and had a few sips. It made him feel a bit better, but not much. Then he stands, takes his old clothes from the coffee table and walked towards the door leading up to Sunset's bedroom. Afterwards, Thomas walked out of her bathroom sporting his original attire once again. It felt strangely odd wearing these clothes again. He only wore them for a fairly short period. The materials were very different from the clothes Rarity bought him. He liked having the prominent, yellow number one shirt on again though and stopped caring about the difference. Although, he was still upset that the nice clothes she bought him were completely torn to shreds now.

All was quiet in Sunset's room. Thomas sat down on a couch facing another TV screen and buried his face in his palms.

He still couldn't quite comprehend what Diesel 10 said, what he did, and what happened to him. There had to be something, anything, that can open his eyes to see the wrong he's doing. But that was the problem, Diesel 10 is fully aware of his actions, and takes more pride in them than he would be doing something beneficial like saving Lady. It was all he's good at.

Then, within a blink of an eye, the floor of Sunset's bedroom became covered in sand. Rippling waves dashed against the sand inches away from where Thomas sat. Far out in front of him was a large body of jewel blue water. The entire bedroom was now a beach side lagoon. Everything felt and looked exactly like he was really outside. The warm sun shined down, the sand was warm and soft like silk, and squabbling seagulls flew overhead, gliding against the cool wind breezing past the bright green trees behind him. He gets up and darts around the beach alarmed. Thomas then looked out onto the horizon and sees a colossal wave soaring along the water with surf music playing out of nowhere.

There, surfing on the wild wave was the Genie dressed in a Hawaiian shirt, shorts, and sporting tinted sunglasses.

"Oh, hello again, Thomas!" He called, tilting up his shades and waving. "Enjoying the sun?"

Thomas rubbed his eyes, thinking this was all an illusion. But if the Genie was here, this truly must be his work. The Genie lost his balance on the surfboard. With a teetering and swing, he flew off his board and splashed into the giant wave while his surfboard went flying out and washed up along the shore inches from Thomas. Just then, a Volleyball net appeared above Thomas. The Genie flashed right beside him and holds out a Volleyball.

"Care for a little game of Volleyball?"

Five copies of himself appear and dispersed all around the net.

The Genie threw the ball up in the air. He jumped and smacked it over the net. The ball landed on the ground just as two of his copies slid across the sand to try and hit it back over. The Genie cheered and celebrated his pitch with a few dances and spot lights shining down on him. An unamused Thomas sat back on the couch and crossed his arms.

"What do you want now?"

"Just test running one of many daily activates for us to partake in when the Island of Sodor is mine. Now, I'd personally prefer a little more disorder. Perhaps a flaming fireball over a pool of quicksand would make this game more exciting."

The Genie then takes a hand full of the sand and begins consuming it.

"Why are you eating the sand?" Thomas arched a disguised brow.

"It's not sand. It's brown sugar. See?"

He shoves a handful into Thomas' mouth. Thankfully it was actually brown sugar, but Thomas still coughed it out and glared at the Genie. He was not having it anymore.

"Stop! I'm not in the mood, Genie."

The Surfing music cuts off. They appear back in Sunsets bedroom in a flashing light after the Genie snaps his fingers. He flashed back into his original clothes and leaned in close to Thomas, hovering in the air by his face while laying on his stomach and crossing his arms.

"Aw, what's the matter, buddy? Come on. You can tell me. We are best friends after all, aren't we?"

"No, we're not. I know why you wanna be my best friend. You just need an engine to run the Magic Railroad."

"Why that's not true all. If I'm going to be Sodor's new ruler, I'd like to have a close friend to make it worth taking over. And who better to call my 'Sodor' best friend than mister number one himself?"

"Well you can forget it. I'm not gonna be your best friend. And I'm not letting you rule Sodor."

"Oh, come now. Don't I make a dashingly entertaining overlord? I mean look what I can do," A flashing light causes a coconut cup to appear in his hands. "You're telling me this isn't your idea of fun? Oh, silly me. You are a talking train. Your idea of 'fun' is pulling cargo or something."

He takes a purposefully loud sip of his coconut milk through the straw. Thomas simply watched with a bit of annoyance. Then a flashing light causes the coconut to disappear.

"No worries. I'll simply make it so that you'll retain your currant appearances. That'll be easier to participate in whatever I decree. You know, whenever you're not flying off the rails or crashing into things and what not."

"Why do you even want to take over our Island anyway? Isn't there a bunch of other places you can use your magic?"

"There was," The Genie said with narrow eyes, darting around the floor before continuing. "Besides, Sodor is way easier to take over. True, I could take over a universe where plumbers jump on bricks, or a universe where planes and automobiles are really giant robots, or maybe a universe where a child can use their watch to transform into many different creatures. But do you know what they all have in common, Thomas? They actually stand a chance of oppressing my power. Where as Sodor, a land of mere talking trains, cannot."

The Genie hovered over to Thomas' right.

"No means of retaliation leaves an easy, breezy, little bitty world practically serving itself on a platter for the taking. That was until, you know, the Magic Railroad's reactivation."

Then he floated above and leaned down very close to Thomas' face.

"Now your world has a means to subjugate my abilities and that simply will not do. And It's because Sodor's so feeble that I'm putting in all this effort to grain control over it. Once I do, there'll be nothing nobody can do to stop me," He grinned.

Thomas stood and glared at the Genie.

"We are going to stop you. Me, my friends from Sodor and Canterlot High, we're gonna put an end to your attempts once and for all, with this!"

He then held out the magic whistle. The Genie zaps in front of Thomas and examines the silver whistle dangling from the chain wrapped around his hand. He knew all about this magic whistle, what's inside it, and what Thomas plans to do with it. Too see it up close concerned him a little, but not enough to visibly show it. Thomas smiled confidently. The Genie grinned back himself but with a meek smile. The two sat back down on the couch.

"Why don't we forget that pesky whistle for now and discuss what happened with Diesel 10 instead, hm?"

"How do you?"

Before he could ask, the Genie flicks both sides of his temple. His eyes pop out and appear beside Thomas turning left and right. Thomas slouched, still freaked out by his abilities but felt more depressed and not engaged enough to react the way he would by such oddness.

"Oh, right. Why do you wanna talk about that?"

His eyes appear back in his head. "Because he nearly tried to hurt you. And after I specifically told him not to. Which reminds me,"

The Genie snaps his fingers and with a flashing light, all the bruises, scuffs, and pain Thomas bared were now magically healed. Thomas felt livelier the second his pain went away, almost good as new again.

"As soon as I heard what happened I knew I had to step in. Now I'm here to make sure your ill attempts to make friends with Diesel 10 doesn't ruin anything."

Thomas looked over himself feeling better then ever, until a pressing realization came to his attention. How did the Genie heal him? Shouldn't his magic not work on anyone connected to the Gold Dust?

"Wait, you can use your magic on me now?!" He asked worrisome.

"Well doyee," he said with rolling eyes. "The Magic Railroad is falling apart, remember? The more magic it loses, the more you'll soon lose your connection to it. Allowing me to just barely slip in my own magic."

He reclines back on the couch with his arms resting behind his head and one knee placed on top of the other.

"Yeup. slowly but surely, I can do whatever I want with you all, regardless of whoever's running that retched Railway. How else is your island still afloat even with Diesel 10's corruption tearing it apart?"

"W-what do you mean?"

"While you were away on your sparkle quest, I've been busy undoing all the damage being done to Sodor." The Genie snapped his fingers. "Still am too. Who knew one diesel engine can leave such a negative impact on one ginormous, highly populated universe."

The Genie's been using his magic to keep the Magic Railroad's corruption from destroying everyone and everything on Sodor. He really doesn't want to abolish Sodor after all, only Diesel 10 did. Regardless, Thomas wasn't going to let him take over his world. Although, he couldn't help but feel gratitude towards the Genie for actually keeping the Island of Sodor stable, even if it was until he found another engine to run the Magic Railroad in Lady's place.

"I believe the word you're refusing to say is, you're welcome," He smirked.

Concerned and afraid by everything he's heard, Thomas continued the conversation even when he didn't want to. Anything to get the Genie's thoughts off of gradually regaining the use of his magic on him and his friends would be a better topic.

Thomas slouched. "So, you really did tell him not to hurt us?"

"Yes," He nodded, sincerely. " I can't conquer Sodor if my kingdom has no inhabitants. You're all essential to my new world order and having that all wiped from existence is something I never obliged by."

"You do know he wants to destroy Sodor and take control of you right?"

He sat up. "Of course, I do. What do I look like; Someone who didn't see this coming? As explained, I simply need Diesel 10 because he could do the dirty work. But I knew from the start our alliance would be short lived. That left me with the problematic issue of stealing the Sparkles from Diesel 10 once he completes his task. But, since that whistle of yours can store all the power equivalent to Lady's..."

Thomas stared at him angrily and pulled the whistle back over his head and around his neck.

"Right, right, I'll just skip to the point," He said, sternly. "Thomas, stop trying to reform him."

"What?"

"Stop. Forcing. Diesel 10. To. Be. Good!" He said, zooming closer and closer to his face again then back away.

"I wasn't forcing him. I tried helping Diesel 10 because I believe he can become a better engine again."

The genie smacked and dragged his hand down his face. "Thomas. Diesel 10 is not 'good'. You've had plenty of evidence displaying this fact. Just Look what he's done to you."

Thomas shied away. "But, but… You see, Sunset Shimmer used to be bad too until she changed by realizing her mistakes. If someone like her can become good, I thought, maybe, so can Diesel 10."

He knew Thomas would use Sunset Shimmer to justify his reasons. When hearing about his belief in Diesel 10's redemption, followed by the fateful encounter with the diesel himself, the Genie thought up the murkiest scheme to deter Thomas' quest, one that will surly drive him apart from the others and delay him long enough for Lady's Gold Dust to be snagged from her possession. He knew Thomas wasn't going to stop believing in Diesel 10 despite everything. His whole driving force was Sunset's own redemption. Grinning deviously, the Genie began initiating his ploy. He interrupted and placed his finger over Thomas' mouth before he could speak another word.

"I'm going to stop you right there, Thomas. I understand where you're coming from. Believe me. But whatever person you think Sunset Shimmer is now, that isn't who she wants you to believe she is."

The Genie releases his finger to allow Thomas to talk.

"I know. She just told me all about," Thomas paused. "Wait. What do you mean Sunset isn't who she is?"

"Wellll… there's this one intsy, bisty, little bite size detail about her redemption you seem to be misunderstanding. Its importance is so crustal that it'll go against your whole view on Diesel 10 entirely."

Thomas raised an inquisitive brow. The Genie teleported and floated in front of Thomas with an intimidating stare. The Genie was about to show Thomas that Diesel 10 and his so-called best friend from Canterlot cannot be and are not actually good people at all.

"Simply put it, engines and ponies like Diesel 10 and Sunset Shimmer are not and can never be good. And I will not stand idly by while he mangles you about anymore."

While talking, Sunset's entire bedroom started rotating clockwise. All her belongings, furniture, everything else toppled and rolled with the room spinning slowly upside down, right side up, then back around again and starting over. Only the couch Thomas sat on and Ray's tank remained stationary. Thomas began to panic, watching everything in Sunset's room bash, crash, and tossed about with the revolving room; almost to the point where it nearly became nauseating to watch.

"It's time you open your eyes and saw the truth," The Genie continued. "Time to see how she really redeemed herself and why your silly assumptions are putting you on a course that was doomed to fail from the start. It's time you saw who the real Sunset Shimmer is."


Clouded within a flashing light, Thomas then found himself in the hallways of Canterlot High. Students were running down the halls excitedly. Some came running directly towards him. Thomas shuts his eyes and braced for impact only to feel nothing happen. Opening his eyes, he then saw Derpy running past him. And by running past him, she went straight through Thomas entirely like he wasn't there. Beyond freaked out, he felt himself around all over, seeing he was the only one who couldn't phase through himself. Was he just an astral projection? Is everything he's seeing just a figment of the past he wasn't physically inhabiting?

The Genie zapped beside Thomas with a smile and arms behind his back. Thomas shoots a suspicious brow. The two then followed the crowd leading them to the school lobby. Everyone gathered by the middle were a large monitor was displayed. And, standing in the middle of the whole crowd was Rarity. She was happily handing out blue and yellow pony ears and tails to everyone, asking them to vote for her as Princess of the Spring Fling. The screen slide showed images of Rarity and the contributions she promises if she wins the voter turn out. Thomas was happy to see his friend but was still wondering why the Genie brought him here.

Just then, the monitor's screen began showing static. Rarity and the other students look over it alarmed. Then, as the static ceases, a voice started talking over images of Rarity in slanderous images and video clips edited to make her look bad. The snide voice questioned everyone's vote for her with pictures displaying examples of Rarity putting in more effort to keep herself presentable than to get down and dirty, offering assistance to people for her own benefits, and embarrassing videos caught of her playing on repeat.

"That voice sound familiar?" The Genie asked, Thomas nudging his shoulder.

The slides and monologue continued as Thomas watches, knowing who that voice belonged to. The voice then went on slandering her taste in fashion with Images of Rarity wearing seemingly embarrassing or outdated clothing sliding by the screen. The videos may have been edited, but the photographs were all too real. Rarity gasped in horror while everybody pointed and laughed.

Slides then pop up of Sunset Shimmer edited to look more fabulous, helpful, and all around better than Rarity. Then a video of her face appears on the monitor, telling everyone that a vote for her is a vote for a true princess, to take the smart move and vote for Sunset Shimmer. Everyone cheered and began taking off their ears and pony tails, chucking them away as they left the lobby. With the lobby all clear of people, a distressed Rarity stood alone in a sea of pony ears and tails scattered everywhere on the floor.

The Genie points to Thomas' right. Thomas looks and sees Sunset Shimmer standing right beside him with her arms crossed and a sinister smirk displayed in its remorseless fashion. Sunset had on a different attire on than the one she wore in present time. She sported a leather jacket with a bedazzled collar, a purple shirt with a red and yellow shimmering sun on the front, an orange skirt with purple and yellow streaks, and black boots with purple design.

Rarity's eyes started watering up. Collapsing to her knees, she buried her face in her hands and began to cry. Sunset continued smiling and walked away with pride and a flick of her hair. Thomas went over to try and comfort a weeping Rarity, but not before the Genie zapped them to another area of the school and presumably another point in time from the past.

"I'm tired of this, Sunset," said a voice.

Thomas and the Genie look down the halls and see Sunset Shimmer again, along with a blue haired boy pacing back and forth. It was Flash Sentry, and he was not happy. Sunset didn't seem to care though as she kept checking her fingernails while he rambled on.

"Seriously, what's your deal? You're always putting others down, and picking on everyone, and telling us what to do all the time."

Sunset scoffed. "So, what? I can do whatever I want. These losers will do anything I tell them. Besides, since when do you care how I treat people?"

"It's becoming a problem, Sunset. I don't think you realize how bad it's getting."

"Whatever," she said, rolling her eyes and looking away.

Flash glared at her. Thomas didn't know what was going on but was concerned either way. Sunset walked slowly towards Flash.

"You don't tell me how to run my school. Nobody does. Especially not my boyfriend. So, I'd keep those comments to myself if I were you. Unless, you want your precious guitar taken away. Don't forget I know how much you longed to be a," Sunset sniggers, "'famous' rock musician. Wouldn't want to start all the way from scratch again, do we?"

"This isn't your school. It never was, and it never will be."

"Ugh, excuse me?!" She said, pressing him against a locker with her arm. "This is my school! I rule CHS now! You can pretend that's not the case all you want, but it is. Everyone here has finally accepted it. And so, should you."

"What's gotten into you, Sunset?" Flash asked, now more genuinely concerned. "You didn't use to be like this."

She lets go. "Now that I'm close to having everything I've wanted, I can finally drop this miss goody two shoes act and show this school what I really have in store for them."

Thomas was confused. Did she meant using Twilight's crown like she told him?

Flash Sentry brushed off his shirt. "Yeah, well, you can leave me out of it. Because we're done here."

He takes off storming down the hallway.

"And what exactly is that suppose to mean?"

"I'm breaking up with you, Sunset. It's over between us!" He said, never looking back.

"What?!" She shouted. "You can't break up with me! Don't you know who I am? I will make your life miserable here, Flash Sentry. Just like I've done with the rest of these pathetic teenagers! And I haven't even gotten started yet."

Thomas shyly stares at the Genie. Considering how he was witnessing events that actually happened, he still wasn't falling for any of his tricks. Whatever the Genie set out to do so far wasn't working. Thomas knew all too well that this is just a figment of the past, and none of what he's seeing will carry over to the present. Sunset would now only look back on this day with disgrace. Knowing this, Thomas bravely talked back to the Genie.

"None of this means anything. Not to her. Not to anyone. She may have been lost then, but she's learned from her mistakes. All this shows me is that Sunset has never been better off as anything other than the person she is today. Leaving behind her old ways did more wonders for her than trying to take over that pony world."

Unamused, the Genie snapped his fingers again. After a flashing light fades, Thomas found himself standing alone in an empty space consisting of nothing but a cyan blue backdrop like void with abstract markings scattered about.


Then, like a barrage of scenes projected into his head, Thomas began witnessing Sunset commit all sorts of devious, horrendous, and terrible acts against her fellow students. Sabotaging parties, dances, and other recreational activates. Manipulating, threatening, and ordering others to do what she demands. Thomas tried not to watch but the scenes kept playing out right in front of him. Everywhere he turned, Sunset was doing something mean and wicked while her voice bellowed predominantly in his ears.

He tired running away from it. But Thomas couldn't gain any distance, like he was stuck running in one place. Sunset's actions zoomed pass and boomed all around him. There was no running from what she did, from the damage done, her constant pestering, and the cries and sobs of students following him everywhere. He tired tuning them out, but it was no use.

Thomas tripped and landed on his stomach. He leaned himself on his arms, and looks up to see Sunset Shimmer standing over and laughing down at him with crossed arms.

Two copies of her flashed right beside Sunset, then two more, and more, and more. Flashes of light completely surround Thomas, creating exponential amounts of copies. The clones circled all around him, laughing at a bewildered boy sitting on his knees and watching anxiously from the middle circle. Each echo of their conniving laugh reverberated all over the empty plain of existence. There were now too many Sunset Shimmer's to count by this point.

Thomas covered his ears. "Stop it!"

But they didn't. The piercing laughter grew louder and louder. Shielding his ears did next to nothing. If anything, the noise only increased. Hundreds of her spanned across far distances. It was too much for him to handle. He wanted them to stop, but they wouldn't. Thomas had to sit there and listen to their cackling.

"NO!"

Opening his eyes, he looks out sees Sunset's ginormous head chuckling a sinister cackle still and zooming closer and closer towards him. Thomas got up and tried running away again with Sunset's head tailing behind and her shadow completely overcasting him. He looks back and screamed before her mouth zoomed in close to Thomas and consumed him in total darkness.


Aghast, Thomas panned and searched his surroundings to find he was now outside on the CHS Courtyard. It was late at night, the stars sparkled in the purple sky and the air was cool with a pleasant breeze. Whatever he just went through, Thomas was glad it was finally over. The Genie zapped beside him as Thomas caught his breath again.

"Whatever it is you're doing is not gonna work, Genie! Even after everything I've seen, it's more ensuring that this is the same girl who took me into her home, whose helping me save my home, and who stood beside me not matter what happened!"

All the Genie did was pretend to yawn and check the time on his non-exciting watch.

"Sunset has changed. It doesn't matter what she was like before. So long as she's in the right place now, that's all that matters."

"You're right," He pretended to feel defeated. "I suppose my ill attempts to show you how horrid she really is, has failed. Oh! But wait! You haven't seen the best part yet."

In a flashing light, Thomas and the Genie sat on two luxurious theater seats floating above the school courtyard and getting the perfect view of the whole campus. Thomas was afraid to be this high up and sat rigidly on his seat. Looking down at what they were watching, he saw all of his Canterlot friends by the Wondercolt Statue, which now had a sculpture of a horse standing with hind legs on the top base.

The girls were all dressed in various evening dance gowns. Among them was someone he barely recognized at first. It was a girl who wore her violet hair down with purple and brilliant raspberry streaks. She was placing Spike on the ground while giving a speech and putting what looked like a shiny tiara on her head. 'Was this the Pony Twilight?' Thomas thought.

The tiara was in fact the artifact of the Elements of Harmony. It was light gold and angled horizontally with a magenta star-shaped gem in the center. Twilight and her friends were standing opposite of Sunset Shimmer holding a sledge hammer by the base, looking like she was about to destroy the portal leading to the pony world.

The Genie stretched his back and reclines. "Now, sit back and watch how well she's 'learning' from her mistakes."

Two soda cups and a bag of popcorn appear in his hands. He offers the bag to Thomas.

"Popcorn?"

Thomas didn't acknowledge. "Just you wait and see. Sunset Shimmer will come around and stop all this nonsense. And become the nice and friendly person that she really is."

"Eh, more for me then."

Sunset Shimmer then dropped her sledge hammer. Feeling relieved, the girls gather around Twilight Sparkle to congratulate and praise her bravery, much to Sunset's rage filled annoyance. And Just like that, Sunset lunged and tackled Twilight to the ground, knocking the crown off her head. The two struggled while reaching for the crown until Spike snatched it and runs off.

Thomas and the Genie watch the crown being passed and tossed around back and forth between each of the girls. Eventually, it ends up back into Sunset Shimmer's hands.

But as soon as she eagerly puts it on, something irregular started to happen. The gem flashed various dark and cerulean spots. Rings of dark arctic blue shower down Sunset Shimmer. Twilight and the girls watched in shock, along with the whole school who came out to investigate the commotion.

"Yes, yes, I think we know where this is going," The Genie said.

A television remote popped in his hand. The Genie Pressed a double arrow button to fast forward the whole transformation, stopping at just the right moment when Sunset discovers her new appearance.

Sunset Shimmer was now transformed into a She-Demon.

Chuckling with amazement, Sunset examined her powered up demon form. Her skin was a brilliant crimson color, the sclera of her eyes was black, her nose shortened, and her mouth more stretched out. Her attire now consisted of a flame-patterned frock and boots. She had a flame-like hair pattern, tattered bat-like wings, four clawed fingers, pointed jagged ears, sharp teeth with elongated fangs, forked tongue and a flame-like tail.

Thomas was completely shocked. He didn't know what to feel, but he felt awfully terrified of her demon appearance, and how fond she seemed of her new look so far.

"Hmm. Now when in her little story did she mention this occurring?" The Genie said, stroking his beard. "Interesting how a crown meant to spread harmony instead turns Sunset into this brilliantly horrific She-demon monstrosity! I wonder why that is? Surely it can't be the crown's doing. Perhaps it was one's heart filled with darkness that tampered with it."

Thomas didn't know how to respond. He was too stunned by her transformation to make sense of it.

"S-she did say her obsessions made her into a… monster."

"True. Now, do you think she meant it figuratively, or?"

Thomas didn't answer. Instead, he shyly went back to watching a demon Sunset begin her terror. The first use of her power was on two boys who'd been helping her retrieve the crown, transforming them into similar looking demons with wings, fangs, and flame patterned hair. The two demon turned boys corner Twilight and her friends.

The students all hid away in the school to get away from her. They were pressed against the glass door, watching Sunset approaching the entrance while monologuing.

"I've had to jump through so many hoops tonight just to get my hands on this crown," She said in a deepened voice. "And it really should have been mine all along."

"Oh, this is where it gets good!" The Genie nudged Thomas, excitedly.

Growling in frustration, Sunset then shrugged her shoulders and smiled.

"But let's let bygones be bygones. I am your princess now, and you will be loyal... to me!"

Using the magic within the tiara, Sunset demolishes the entire front entrance of the school, chucking away the debris and flying inside while all the screaming students scatter in fear. She used her magic again to place a hypnotic trance on every single student, turning them into mindless, moaning zombies, including her ex-boyfriend Flash Sentry. Sunset orders the other two demons to round them up by the portal. She then turns to Twilight Sparkle and her friends.

"Spoiler alert: I was bluffing when I said I was going to destroy the portal. I don't want to rule this pathetic little high school. I want Equestria! And with my own little teenage army behind me, I am going to get it!"

"Why are you showing me all this?" He asked. "I already know she'll become good in the end. Weren't you listening at all to what I was saying earlier?"

"No. But that's aside the point. You still haven't seen how this'll turn out. And fret not, I won't spoil the ending just yet."

"No, you're not!" Twilight Sparkle said.

"Oh, please!" Sunset said. "What exactly do you think you're going to do to stop me? I have magic, and you have nothing!"

"She has us," Rainbow Dash said.

Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, Applejack, Pinkie Pie and Rarity all step up and gather around a gratified Twilight Sparkle. They bravely stood in a horizontal line ready to take on whatever Sunset would dish out.

"Gee, the gang really is all back together again," Sunset laughed while wiping away a tear. "Now step aside! Twilight has tried to interfere with my plans one too many times already! She needs to be dealt with!"

A frightened Thomas was not liking the looks of this. Sunset conjured up a magical energy ball and throws it at them. The girls all huddled up to protect each other. Laughing to herself thinking she's taken out Twilight and her friends, she instead finds all of them covered in a magical pink aura. The five friends realized this as they circle around Twilight Sparkle.

Ecstatic, Twilight stands up to Sunset. "The magic contained in my Element was able to unite with those that helped create it!"

"Bore-ing!"

The Genie clicked his remote and fast forwards their transformations, gaining their pony ears, tails, and wings for the first time. He even fast forwards past a point where Twilight and the others collectively hold each others hand and levitate in the air in a heart shaped formation. Thomas tried to catch it all but the scene was going by so fast he almost couldn't keep up with it. Finally, the Genie let's the scene play out again.

"Pay close attention here, Thomas. In this scene, Twilight Sparkle is tapping into the crown's magic to serve its true purpose. Now you'll see the only way to really defeat a power crazed maniac once and for all."

"H-how's that?" He asked, nervously.

The Genie slipped a sinister chuckle. "By destroying the evil within. Completely!"

Thomas' head spins back to watch the whole scene unfold. A spiraling rainbow sprouts into the sky and shoots down another streak of rainbow directly towards Sunset. The streak lands by her feet as a rainbow tornado rapidly rotates around and building up past her head. The Rainbow Tornado completely consumes a frantic Sunset Shimmer. Little magical orbs shoot out from the top of the column.

"Here and in Equestria, it is the only magic that can truly unite us all!"

"What magic?" Thomas asked.

All the fast forwards were confusing him. Smirking, the Genie fast forwards the scene again, passing the magical rainbow freeing all the students from their enchanted state. Thomas tried reaching for the remote in the Genie's hand but was held back by his palm placed over Thomas' and swinging his arms. The Genie snickered then lets the scene play again.

Twilight, her friends, and the whole school gathered around a giant crater where Sunset laid battered, defeated, and struggling to get up. Thomas stopped struggling when he noticed this, returned to and watch what happens next with a strange apprehension.

"You will never rule in Equestria," Twilight said. "Any power you may have had in this world is gone. Tonight, you've shown everyone who you really are. You've shown them what is in your heart."

A weeping Sunset tilted her head up. Her pupils were wide and eyes poured a never-ending stream of tears.

"I-I'm sorry," She said, whimpering through her sob. "I'm so sorry. I didn't know there was another way."

Thomas' eyes were just as wide. His mouth hung open in total disbelief. He couldn't believe what he was seeing.

"W-what?"

The Genie smirked and snapped his fingers, transporting them back into Sunset's bedroom. Thomas just sat on the couch, looking at his trembling hands while trying to process it all. That couldn't have been real. It had to be the Genie's doing. But no matter how much he tried to deny it, Thomas knew all of it was true.


Through out the battle, Thomas was waiting for Sunset to realize her plan to conquer Equestria was wrong. For her to put a stop to her actions, and for Twilight or the others to offer a helping hand. But with the Genie skipping key scenes on purpose, and everything he remembered Sunset telling him about her redemption, it seemed more evident that Twilight and her friends instead used the Element of Magic to instill some kind of charm or spell on Sunset. Not only to defeat her and revert back to normal, but to also seemingly change Sunset's personally entirely, like she was no longer the bad girl she was seconds ago, but something entirely conceived through the Element of Magic.

Did Twilight and her friends really force Sunset into becoming a good person? 'Destroying the evil from within completely', by getting rid of all negative traits she displayed, traits that corrupted the magic crown to begin with and turned her into what was deep inside her heart. She surely didn't display any real indication of regret or hesitation prior to being shot by a rainbow tornado. Never did Sunset stop and think maybe she was spiraling down a path she couldn't come back from. A path that Twilight had to stop her from reaching by erasing all the evil within her, including her bad attitude.

The Genie knew he was leaving out an important element. But to prove his point, he left it out entirely, knowing it would give Thomas a better justification, and a new grasp on the type of magic the Elements contained. Thomas' quivering eyes stared back at him. His plan worked. Despite how pleased he was, the Genie remained sincere towards Thomas.

"Now you see what should've been present this whole time. Sunset Shimmer was never a good; not until Twilight Sparkle and her friends used the Element of Magic to change her. Despite who she is now, that isn't the real Sunset. It is only whatever the elements made her to be."

It was too much for Thomas to take in. Sunset realized her mistakes and sought change. That's what really happened. But everything he's been told, everything he saw, it didn't add up. Is she only acting off the whims of the Element's magic inflicted upon her? Is this what she meant, when Sunset said her friends helped her? By completely changing who she is, and not through her own interests to become a better person? Because she was so close to conquering Equestria, the Girls saw the only way to subdue Sunset was to strip her of her magic. She did become the person she is today. Sunset was given a second chance, but not by choice; not by seeing the light and a need for change. The others had forced Sunset into seeing her wrongs through magic.

"But... she said,"

"She said a lot of things. But she didn't see the need to explain because Sunset knew this is how you'd act. She knew you'd be even more mopey all because Diesel 10 will never, and I mean never, be redeemed. No, Thomas. The only way for anyone like Diesel 10 to truly change is by using the magic embedded in the Elements. Just, like, Sunset."

Thomas felt a small tear drip down his face. Thomas wanted Diesel 10 to become good on his own. He wanted him to have a chance at becoming a better engine again. But now, it seemed to be only a pipe dream.

"I just wanted to help him," Thomas stuttered. "No engine should ever have to feel that way. Especially with everything he's been through. It's just not right. It's not fair."

"So is forcing magic on other people."

"I-is that really the only way? Why can't everyone just be good? Couldn't they realize what they were doing on their own without magic influencing them? I just don't understand!"

Thomas gripped his head in frustration while trying to stifle his raining tears. The Genie sat down next to Thomas and patted his back.

"I know. I know. I'm sorry you had to learn about it this way. I'd rather she told you the whole thing herself. You wouldn't have gone out of your way then to help someone who clearly didn't want to be good."

Thomas tears stopped swelling. "I feel like such a silly engine."

His thoughts and feelings were a roller coaster of mixed emotions. Anger, sadness, betrayal, foolery, self doubt, distrust. Diesel 10 will never be good. And now Sunset Shimmer wasn't actually so good herself, only acting off the influence distilled by the Element of Magic.

The Genie sighed. He couldn't help but feel a bit sorry for Thomas even though this was the level of torment he intended to bring him down. A child like innocence such as his was hard to come by. Now his whole world was crashing down right in front of him. He got up and stood crouched down to Thomas while placing both hands on his shoulders.

"Now, Thomas. Will you stop trying to redeem Diesel 10 now? You have promise that you will. There's no excuse after this. It doesn't have to be for me, but for yourself and all your Sodor friends. So… will you?"

Thomas closed his eyes and nodded meekly, excepting defeat and coming to terms with Diesel 10 and Sunset Shimmer. There was no saving him. There wasn't any real good in her. He made his choice to remain evil. She never had a say in who she wanted to be. And there was nothing he could morally do to change any of it.

"Okay. That's good to hear," The Genie said, gently patting his shoulder. "I'll um, I'll leave you alone to your thoughts."

The Genie arched up and walked towards the large window facing the font from Sunset's house with arms behind his back. But before he could leave, Thomas gets up too. He still had one question to ask the Genie, one that's been on his and everyone's mind since they first learned of his involvement.

"Wait. Who are you, really? If you're not a real genie, then what are you suppose to be?"

The Genie stopped in his place. He shifted over and leered at Thomas with devious eyes with left side of his grin grew bigger and bigger.


Sunset Shimmer was leaving the pharmacy when suddenly her bag began vibrating. Opening her satchel, Sunset takes out her equestrian book now pulsating a glowing pink light from within. Finding a back alley, she runs over and leans herself against and sat near the wall. She rested the book on her knees then opens it. She was getting a message from Princess Twilight.

'Hey, Sunset! Any updates on Lady? Where you able to find more Gold Dust?'

Sunset took out her pen and wrote back.

'Mission accomplished. Only we couldn't deliver it to her just yet. We've ran into a few bumps on the road.'

She explained everything that happened after she got back and the condition Thomas is in. After exchanging concerns and urgencies, Sunset then brought up the Genie. Twilight insisted she explain more on what they learned about him. She does so, writing down every detail this time. There was a long pause. Twilight didn't respond for a while, which started concerning Sunset knowing she couldn't stay and wait for very long. If Twilight doesn't wright back, she'll just have to continue heading home.

Then, Twilight replied.

'This is so strange. I'm thinking over everything you've written but it just doesn't add up. The only creature or being coming to mind is Discord. But, we can't be talking about the same magic happy entity, can we?"

Sunset Shimmers eyes widened. If this genie really is who they believe to be, then they were all in serious trouble.


"You see, Thomas. Where I come from, I am what's known as a spirit of chaos and disharmony. My magic is essential in bringing balance to the universe. And if I'm not constantly using it, I can no longer exist. That is why I must find a place where I can use my powers to my hearts content. But mostly because I really enjoy what I do."

Thomas wasn't sure where he was going with this. Does he really need to use his magic in order to exist? What kind of magic does he specialize in? Chaos and disharmony? Was that it? Thomas walked closer to and stood near where he was. The Genie's back faced the window as the thunder and lightning from earlier rolls in.

"I have gone by many titles throughout many lifetimes. The purveyor of pandemonium, lord of lawlessness, earl of turmoil, and bringer of bedlam. But there's only one name I prefer that struck fear into the hearts of many for eons. One that just screams me in all the right ways."

Thomas waited intensely. The Genie's fingers interlock and bounced off each other. His eyes narrowed, and his smirking grin prominently displayed in all it's delight.

"And that… name… is… Discord."

A clash of thunder and lightening flashed behind him through the window. His shadow reflected on the floor from the lightening showed not a human physique, but a snake like body with a horse like head, antlers and horns, a bat and Pegasus wing, and a dragon-like snake's tail. Thomas stared at this shadow both dumbstruck and afraid by the odd mix and match shape of this outer worldly appearance. Looking back up, he was completely gone, leaving Thomas all alone again in Sunset's house once again.


To Be Continued.

Author's Note:

Sure it may have been obvious, but now we can discard the use of addressing him as the Genie for good. Now to those of you who already knew, or are about to call me out for attempting to create a secret for the sake of shock value, hear me out. Sunset has a magical book that allows her to communicate with Twilight Sparkle. Twilight Sparkle, the pony who had her run ins with Discord and would know how to defeat him. If he revealed his identity to Thomas, he would've told everyone, Sunset would seek Twilight's help, and his whole plan would've been foiled. That's why his name had to be kept hush hush.

As for what this new dilemma Thomas is in...just bare with me. I know it seems pretty convoluted and something that could be easily avoided, but it's ties to the message of the overall story is very crustal. Hope you enjoyed the chapter and stay tune for more!

PreviousChapters Next