• Published 19th Oct 2017
  • 9,604 Views, 190 Comments

Thomas & Equestria Girls: Welcome to Canterlot High - LPFanFic



Thomas The Tank Engine enters the world of Canterlot High to locate the missing magic that's disappeared from the Island of Sodor. He meets the Main 7 along the way, and tries solving a problem that challenge his concept of redemption & forgiveness.

  • ...
19
 190
 9,604

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 19: Sodor Search Party

Thomas & Equestria Girls:
Welcome To Canterlot High

Chapter 19: Sodor Search Party

Things were not going so well on the Island of Sodor. There have been reports of engines crashing into each other, going off the tracks, and ending up missing. One of the more recent crashes involved James and Edward pulling a long Express train. Edward started feeling dizzy and was not in control of his actions. He came off the rails and ran straight into a tree, nearly taking James and the passengers off with him. James couldn't continue due to the heavy load of coaches filled with passengers still attached to his tender. The two engines were stranded for a while; James wouldn't leave Edward behind and waited until Oliver showed up with Rocky. As work was being done to get Edward loaded onto Rocky, James came up with an idea. He'd uncouple some of the coaches and had the passengers move into the remaining five that he can pull to the next station. That way, he can get the job done and everyone to their destination. The plan worked as all the passengers moved into the first five coaches, the remaining ones were left uncoupled, and James took off with out any struggle. He promised Edward, now loaded onto Rocky and ready to be taken to the Steamworks, that he'll make sure their passengers make it to Knapford safely and on time. Making up for lost time, James managed to get all of his passengers to Knapford.


Early morning the next day, the Engines at Tidmouth Sheds were awoke to see Edward arrived back and steaming into his berth. He was cleaned and touched up after his accident yesterday. Edward reassured a concerned James that he was feeling a lot better than he was before his crash. He then asked James if he was able to get all the passengers to the station, to which James happily confirmed so, then vainly went on about how it was all his doing. Regardless, Edward was grateful that James managed to get the job done. Just then, Sir Topham Hatt rolled up in his car and got out, and walked over to meet the Engines.

"Hello everyone," he said, solemnly.

The Engines noticed something was bothering Sir Topham Hatt.

"What's the matter, Sir?" Emily asked.

Sir Topham Hat grabbed the collar of his suit. He was very upset to have to tell them all the bad news he had.

"It would seem there have been too many accidents on Sodor since we started doing the Job switch. I've been giving it a lot of thought, and, maybe some of you were not made to do certain jobs."

The Engines looked somber.

"All I wanted was to offer something different and exciting for doing such a fantastic job running this Railway. I suppose it was too much for some, and now everything's in complete disarray. Which is why to ensue the safety of everyone and all my engines, effective immediately, I will be ending the summer job switches."

Everyone gasped dejectedly. Sir Topham Hatt took off his hat and examined it, then looked back at his engines.

"I'm terribly sorry about this. I know how much you were all looking forward to a new summer, but I can't risk anyone getting hurt or causing even more damage to the Railway. I was just as excited to treat my engines with some variety for a change, but perhaps all the commotion going on was just a sign saying it was a bad idea."

Percy was the most wretched out of all, especially knowing he had a pretty good idea of what's really going on. It wasn't just engines unable to do a certain task, the sudden accidents around Sodor must also be a result of the magic Gold Dust. It's apparent that Mr. Conductor wasn't the only one being affected by the Sparkles. Because Lady's Railway and the Gold Dust keeps everything on Sodor in harmony, the corruption in her magic is likely the main culprit for the all the chaos.

The only reason he didn't tell Sir Topham Hatt about the Sparkles or Thomas' journey into the Magic Railroad, however, was because Percy knew he'd tried to stop Thomas from fixing the problem out of fear for his safety. Sir Topham Hatt would much rather see his engines safe than send them off into unknown territories and put themselves in serious trouble. Though with engines crashing and chaos spreading across Sodor, Percy was feeling worse about keeping Thomas' journey from Sir Topham Hatt and his friends.

"By the way, Percy" Sir Topham Hatt asked, putting his hat back on.

Percy flinched.

"Have you seen Duck by any chance? Nobody's seen him since the night you two took the Flying Kipper. Do you know where he is?"

The night before, Percy asked Duck if he could help him with a job Sir Topham Hatt had for them. Happily agreeing, Duck joined Percy at Brendam Docks where it was revealed they would be pulling the Flying Kipper. They did so with each pulling their own load to make it less difficult and avoid carrying a longer train all at once. At one point, the two engines split up and went in different directions so as to deliver the fish a lot quicker. However, Percy didn't hear back from Duck after completing his delivery. They never met up on the Mainland, despite being told Duck completing his delivery, or back on their way to Sodor. It was very strange indeed.

"Um, no, Sir. I don't. We went down different lines to get to Vicarstown a lot quicker. He might've gone east of Wellsworth."

"Wellsworth eh," Sir said, thinking to himself. "Oh, this is not good at all. First Thomas and now Duck has gone and disappeared too."

"It seems like engines keep disappearing whenever they're around you, Percy" James remarked.

"Why do you say that, James?"

"Well, Thomas is gone now. And you were the last one who saw him."

"Wasn't Toby with Thomas as well?" Emily asked.

Sir Topham Hatt pondered for a bit before speaking again.

"Hmm. Perhaps Toby would know where he is then. Very well, I will assign a Sodor Search Party. Percy, James, Gordon and Edward. I want you, Henry and Toby to seek out our missing engines. I'll also be sure to send word to the Sodor Search & Rescue Centre and have them send Harold to provide a bird's eye view."

"But, what about our jobs, Sir?" Gordon asked.

"I'll have to find engines to take your place in the meantime. Even though we're not switching jobs anymore, it seems like we're stuck doing so until everything's back to the way they should be."

"Wait," Emily realized. "What about me?"

"You'll need to pull Annie & Clarabel on Thomas' Branchline for today, Emily."

Emily was disappointed. "But, I wanna help look for Thomas too."

"I know, Emily. Perhaps tomorrow you can. But right now, I need every engine capable to keep things running smoothly and on time. I am positive you'll do just that," He smiled.

She glanced away in disappointment.

"The team I've selected will have today to search for them. After which, I will assign a new group while you return to doing the same regular jobs as scheduled tomorrow. Now, you all have your assigned duty?"

The four engines agreed.

"Right then. Good luck to all of you. Report back to me before this evening. And most importantly, be safe."

Sir Topham Hatt then left Tidmouth Sheds. At that moment, Henry rolled up onto the turntable. He was pale in the face, rattling and shaking from boiler to buffers. He was turned around and went to park himself in his shed. The Engines noticed Henry was very skittish and wondered what was going on with him. A sudden toll of a bell ranged as Toby pulled up next to Henry, nearly jumping out of his pistons by the unexpected dinging.

"Oh, sorry, Henry. Didn't mean to startle ya. Say, what's gotten into you this time?"

Henry could barely mutter a word. He was always a bit of a worrier, easily concerned about the smallest things that in reality aren't really consequential to his safety. But what he saw on his way to Tidmouth troubled him more than even rainfalls.

"Henry? Is everything alright?" Edward asked.

"N-no," He said, nervously.

"Ugh, out with-it, Henry," Gordon said, rolling his eyes. "We have to get started on our new job. Sir Topham Hatt asked us to search for Thomas & Duck. They're both missing."

"D-d-d-duck? Duck!"

"Yes. Duck and Thomas."

"You haven't seen him by any chance, have you Henry?" Percy asked.

Toby wasn't fully caught up to speed. "When did Duck go missing?"

"Not missing, Toby. Found!" Henry exasperated.


[Earlier This Morning: Wellsworth]

It wasn't just derailments and crashes that were causing confusion and delay for Sir Topham Hatt's railway. Thomas has disappeared, and now reports of Duck, the great western pannier tank engine, not showing up to his duties stirred up even more intervals. Last evening, Henry was pulling a long load of diesel fuel over from the Mainland back to the Island of Sodor. It was a long journey home, so Henry didn't arrive until it was close to dawn. Normally he'd be pulling the Flying Kipper around that time, but other engines were tasked with the job instead. The day before it was Percy and Duck who pulled the Flying Kipper.

When Henry rolled down the line, he spotted something odd. A goods train of boxvans were parked by a siding. He slowed himself down as he recognized what the load was for. It was The Flying Kipper. 'But what was the Flying Kipper doing here', Henry thought. It wasn't the full load either. A few boxvans were missing, making this a much smaller train of fish wagons. Henry puffed up curiously but gingerly, eventually catching eye of the engine pulling it. The engine was a GWR 5700 Class type of a 0-6-0PT configuration. There were tiny strips of dry paint hanging off and blowing in the wind. Its whole livery was shredded off with nothing left to show but the metal surfaces. Rust covered most of the entire engine from boiler to funnel, and to the cab with it's missing roof. Upon further inspection, both their side rods were off and laid on the ballast also rotting away. They were contorted from their chassis, causing them to tilt to the side. Henry started getting nervous. He didn't recognize the engine at first. There was nothing identifiable about them in terms of livery or their basis.

He got closer in front of the engine. Then he recognized their shape.

"Duck? Is that you?" Henry asked.

Duck didn't respond. His buffers and couplings were rusted away. The tip of his funnel was missing a good chunk of it's top half, and his lantern was no where to be seen. As the sun rose in the distance, the rays shined down revealing Duck's face. Henry gasped in horror. Instead of seeing Ducks' face, there was just a plain smokebox rusting away with everything else on him. It's like there was no sign of Duck anywhere left on this engine. Whimpering uncontrollably, Henry screamed and chuffed away in a hurry. He sped down the line, leaving behind the faceless engine, an engine who was Duck just yesterday. The last chip of dry paint baring the number eight flew off the engine and drifted away in the wind.


[Back At Tidmouth Sheds.]

Everyone was in shock. How did Duck end up in the state he's in now?

"He must have been turned into a Husk," Edward said.

"What's a Husk?" Percy asked, fearfully.

"A Husk is a left-over shell from something that used to be surrounded by it. Just like when you peel an orange, or when a butterfly leaves its cocoon. It's whatever's left over. In Ducks case, it sounds like he's now absent from his body; leaving behind what would be just a plain old engine."

"Oh, dear. How could this have happened?" James said, dismally. "You don't think Thomas ended up becoming one too? What if we all become Husks?!"

Henry whimpered at the thought. Neither of the engines liked what they heard either.

"I'm too big and important to be turned into left over orange peelings," Gordon boasted.

"Percy?" Toby asked. "Do you think the Gold Dust is what's causing all this?"

"Gold Dust?" Emily asked, curiously. "What's that?"

"And what does it have to do with any of this?" Edward asked.

Percy didn't like being put on the spot. Everything was spirally out of control all because he didn't want Thomas to get into trouble. Hearing about Duck and the accidents on Sodor, Percy knew he couldn't keep this to himself anymore. He explained everything to the other engines; About Mr. Conductor, the buffers, the magic Gold Dust causing things to go haywire, and Thomas heading into the Magic Railroad to find Lady, before Diesel 10 steals her powers and use them to destroy everyone on Sodor.

"Percy!" Toby said, crossly. "You were supposed to tell Sir Topham Hatt about the Magic Railroad."

Percy stared downcast at the tracks with shame.

"So, it was actually Gold Dust that caused my accident?" Edward said.

"And Thomas has gone in to check on Lady to see what's wrong with her magic," Emily said. "I have to agree with Toby, you probably should've told Sir Topham Hatt, Percy."

"Otherwise we'd still get to keep switching jobs," James complained.

"Not our main concern right now, James," She said.

"I know, but," Percy was nervous. "Sir Topham Hatt would've tried to stop Thomas from going in and search for Lady."

"Why would Sir Topham Hatt not allow him to if he knew our accidents were caused by Gold Dust?" Edward asked. "Even if he tried, Thomas is already in the Magic Railroad, very likely in some other world by this point I imagine."

"Well," Emily thought, "Thomas has been given a very dangerous job. There's no way Sir would let him go if he knew what Thomas was doing, especially with Diesel 10 involved."

"I should've known that no good Diesel 10 never left Sodor," Gordon boomed. "That rumor of him hiding at the Dieselworks was true after all."

"But now he's somewhere in the Magic Railroad," James said, grimly. "Where Thomas is! He really is in serious danger."

"And he hasn't come back yet," Henry said. "Which could mean anything! He could've gotten lost while searching for her, or run out of coal or water, or fallen off the tracks, or ran into Diesel 10, or"

Percy interrupted, unable to listen to him go on about the many risky scenarios.

"Okay, okay, Henry. I think we get it."

"Didn't you call us all silly when we brought up that rumor before?" James asked Gordon.

"I don't recall," he fibbed.

"What matters right now is that we need to find Thomas and make sure he's alright," Percy said.

"I think not," Gordon said. "What we need is to tell Sir Topham Hatt and have him solve the issue. We know where Thomas is, so there's no need to actually search for him."

"Do we know where he is exactly in the Magic Railroad?" Henry asked.

"There's no time," Percy insisted. "If he's not back yet, then maybe something must've actually gone wrong."

"This is ridiculous," Gordon said. "Why on earth Thomas agreed to take on this Job in the first place is beyond me. He's hardly capable of such a task. If anything, Mr. Conductor should've asked a bigger engine like me to find Lady."

"I agree," James said. "In fact, I should’ve been asked to go into the Magic Railroad, not Thomas."

"Thomas is the only one who's been in the Magic Railroad though," Henry said. "It makes sense to send in an engine who knows the tracks better than any of us."

"Then what makes you think we'll have any luck if none of us have been there?" Gordon argued. "That's why we should leave this up to Sir. He'll know what to do."

"Didn't you say you'd look for him yourself, Gordon?" Edward asked, toying with his ego.

"I know I did," James said, proudly. "This is clearly a job for a splendid red engine like myself to undertake! You all can hang back and wait while I bring Thomas home, spic and span, and not a moment too soon!"

James was about to puff onto the turntable until he stopped himself. He then backed up into his berth and sheepishly looked over at Percy.

"Say uh, you wouldn't know the quickest way to the Magic Buffers, do you, Percy?" He grinned.

Percy rolled his eyes. "I know where the buffers are. Unfortunately. I can take you all there if we do decide to go. Unless, you'd much rather tell Sir Topham Hatt instead? But if we do, then none of us will likely be able to help Thomas."

All the Engines went silent, thinking about what the right decision to make is.

"Please," Percy pleated. "He's my best friend. And I don't wanna do this alone. Ask yourselves this. If it were me, or any one of us, would Thomas go in the Magic Railroad and search for you?"

The Engines all looked at Percy then at each other with shamed faces. They all had their own answers, but they also knew Percy had a point. No matter who it was, Thomas was always there for all the engines who found themselves in predicaments they couldn't get out themselves at one point. That's just the type of engine Thomas is. He'd go though any length to make sure they weren't in any danger, because it speaks true to how brave of a tank engine he is, and they all knew this to be true.

"Percy's right," Emily said. "Thomas would go into the Magic Railroad for any of us."

"I know I may not always be brave enough to do anything," Henry admitted. "But one of my friends is in danger. And saving them is more important than worrying about the inevitable. With everyone's help, I think we should all go in the Magic Railroad and look for Thomas together."

"Me too, Henry, I agree with all of that," Percy smiled. "So, who's with me?!"

Toby, Edward and Henry agreed. James and Gordon eventually caved in and agreed as well. Though Gordon boasted about going in himself, he was much rather committed to letting Sir Topham Hatt find a better solution. But if the other engines were on board with going to the Magic Railroad, he saw it as an opportunity to prove that their decision may not have been a good one. And if all ends up going well for them, then he'd try to take charge in leading the search party. Regardless of which direction they take, this was a job for a big engine, and Gordon saw this fitting to his liking. Now that they all had a plan, The Sodor Search Party was in full effect.

"Then its settled. It's off to the Magic Railroad!" Percy exclaimed.

"Emily, can you please tell Sir Topham Hatt where we're going and what's happening to the Island?" Toby asked. "Make sure he knows everything about the Magic Railroad and Thomas' special mission from Mr. Conductor."

"No way. I don't care what Sir says, I'm going with you. Thomas is my friend too, and I wanna make sure he gets home safe."

"He will, Emily," Toby said, warmly. "We'll make sure of it!"

"This isn't fair," Emily pouted. "I never get to do anything exciting with anyone. It doesn't make sense why I'm rarely ever involved with whatever you all end up doing."

"But, Emily," Edward stated. "That's not true at all."

"You were literally in the Railway Show. You can't get more involved than that," Gordon said.

"But you get to go and travel on the Magic Railroad. I care about Thomas too you know; I'm just as worried about what might've happened to him and I can't stand the idea of my friends being in danger." Emily sighed, "It's times like these where I feel I'm not even apart of this steam team; like I'm just there, but I'm not included."

"Emily?" James looked concerned.

Emily said nothing. Instead, she proceeded back into her berth miserably. The other engines were upset for Emily, but knew they already had plenty of enginee. They knew she'll be able to let Sir Topham Hatt know about their mission and the cause of all of the accidents on Sodor. Everyone tried cheering themselves up, knowing they were in good hands with Emily. Whatever happens on their journey, she will be able to help them out and contribute.


After stocking up on coal and water, The Engines arrived at the Magic Buffers. They were lined up behind one another on the siding, a few distances from the Buffers. The Engines were lined up as such. Percy at the front, James was behind him, then Henry, Gordon, Edward, and Toby at the back.

"Don't worry, Thomas. We're coming for you!" Percy tried to sound brave, despite how frightened he actually was.

"I still think this is ridiculous." Gordon protested. "How will we know where he is once we're inside?"

"He could be at Muffle Mountain,” Percy guessed. "I think that's where Lady hid last time Diesel 10 was after her."

"And what happens when we run into him along the way?" Gordon let off steam loudly, "Ugh, I knew this wasn't going to go well at all."

"Says the engine claiming he can find Lady on his own," James said, "When obviously I'm the more capable of all of us fit to do this job."

"Would you two stop it already," Toby demanded.

"Can we also not mention Diesel 10 being in there again please?" Henry said, anxiously.

Percy was busy trying to pluck courage to charge inside the Magic Buffers, but he was unsure if they were even still activated or not. Who knew if Thomas's earlier presence still allowed for the portal to remain open again for all the others? Then, he and the others heard the sound of rotating propellers spinning rapidly off from the distance. They grew increasingly louder as it got close and surrounded the area while blowing wind onto the ground. All the engines gazed up, knowing very well who it was as they saw the big, white, whirly bird himself in the sky. It was Harold The Helicopter. He hovered above the groupe and looked down at the Engines.

"Hello chaps!" He smiled. "No sign of Thomas yet, eh?"

"Hello, Harold," Percy said. "We know where Thomas is. He's inside the Magic Railroad"

"Oh, is he?"

Harold shifted over to look at the buffers then back at Percy. It was almost hard to hear anyone through the loud, spinning propellers.

"We're going inside to search for him," Percy explained. "He went to find Lady because she's gone missing, and now her magic is causing all sorts of chaos on Sodor due to her not running the Magic Railroad."

"Sounds serious. Makes a lot of sense why there’s been so many accidents as of late! Say, does Sir Topham Hatt know about this, about where you're all going?"

Percy guiltily darted away.

James chimed in "We've told Emily everything, Harold. We don't know how long the search will take us. So, if anything does happen, at least this way she'll notify Sir Topham Hatt, and he'll know what to do from there."

Henry then remembered poor Duck. "Harold, Duck is sitting on a siding close by Wellsworth. Can you go look for him and make sure he's brought to the Steamworks?"

"And don't be too alarmed when you see him," Edward imputed. "You see, Duck has been turned into a Husk."

"A Husk?" Harold raised a brow. "What's that suppose to mean?"

"You'll know when you see him" Toby said, grimly.

"Hmm. Right! I'll fly over and do just that. You all be careful now. I don't know what it's like in there, but it sounds risky. Look out for one another," Harold the Helicopter then hovered back into the air, "and bring Thomas home!"

Flying away proudly, the engines watched Harold buzz off back into the sky until is propellers can no longer be heard.

"I'm starting to think being told to be careful is just as bad luck as being around Percy" James noted.

Percy nearly grew cross but said nothing to humor him. Instead he took a long, deep breath to shake off his qualms.

"Whenever you're ready Percy," Edward informed. "We're right behind you"

He looked towards the Buffers in all of it's mossy, rusty, untouched glory. If the portal didn't open, it was very likely he'd end up coming off the rails after colliding into them. James waited impatiently for Percy to get a move on. Trying really hard not to think about anything that could go wrong, Percy then puffed down the tracks while building up a lot of Speed. James and the others watched as the golden portal spirals open. Closing his eyes shut, Percy passes though the Buffers and into the Magic Railroad, disappearing out of thin air. It was James' turn next. Reluctant but suborn enough to prove everyone he wasn't even the sliest bit apprehensive, James charged onward and sped straight threw the spherical portal. Although James was better at hiding his apprehension, Henry was not, as he remained parked in front of the other, too nervous to go in.

Gordon grinned. "What's the matter Henry? Too big of a scaredy engine, are we?"

Henry gulped. Determined to prove Gordon wrong, he switched from being scared to building up all the bravery he can show and chuffed down the track. Waiting anxiously for the portal to appear, Henry started to scream, not knowing if it will open for him when nothing seemed to happen yet. Right before the portal finally does, it finally appears lets him into the Magic Railroad. Gordon smugly went after; confident in his speed as he charged down the line and chuffed though the portal with ease. Edward then went after until Toby was the last one left.

Toby wasn't sure if he was fast enough to go through. He noticed everyone had to puff quickly in order to get in. He backed away from the Buffers further and further, only to question himself and doubt if he'll pass though or not. What if he can't?

There were many things Toby loved about being a tram engine but it wasn't without it's limitations, and speed was not his strong suit. Being a tram engine doesn't exactly mean he's built for charging down the tracks at high speed. Maybe the others would be better off without my help, Toby thought. What contributions can he hope to accomplish in their search? He's too old for this kind of adventuring anyways.

Before making up his mind to leave, Toby stopped himself and looked back at the Magic Buffers. 'Why not give it a try at least', he thought to himself. If it doesn't work, then it doesn't work. He'd be more useful making sure the Island is running smoothly should this happen, but at least it was worth a try, if not for the sake of Thomas and his friends. Now entirely determined, Toby sharply eyed the Magic Buffers and begins cuffing towards them. It was a slow start, but Toby knew he wasn't going to go any faster if he stopped now. He was pretty far away, which gave him plenty of time to build up to his max speed. Bracing for impact, he heard the sound of whistles whooshing by and a golden light pierce through his eyelids. Before he knew it, Toby opened his eyes and found himself, along with the others, riding down the dim dark tracks of the now indistinct Magic Railroad.


The engines puffed on through the thick, pitch-black ambiance and tunnel of thorny vines surrounding every corner of the tracks. There wasn't much to see beyond the direction of the tracks due to the hindrance of the sharp thorns poking out of every corner. They all chuffed slowly down the line, taking in the decimation Railroad. This was everyone's first time in the Magic Railroad. Percy and Henry were nervous as to why there were vines surrounding the track. James and Gordon were mostly unimpressed, believing there was more to the Magic Railroad from the stories they heard. Edward and Toby were in the same boat as Percy and Henry, though they seemed a bit more focused and determined to seek out Thomas and already well aware of the Railroad's condition.

"Okay. We're in the Magic Railroad now. What do we do from here?" James asked Percy.

"I guess we'll just follow these tracks and see where they take us" he said, uneasily. "Maybe this one will lead us to Shining Time Station?

"Will it thought?"

"I don't know. Why are you asking me?"

"If there are more tracks on this line," Henry said, "what happens when we find one going down a different direction?"

"Why would there be other tracks here?" James asked. "Isn't this the path that connects us to Shining Time and Sodor?"

Henry chimed in again. "When I was being repaired over at Crewe Locomotive Works, the workmen there often told stories about the Magic Railroad. They said that if the Railroad is what bridges us from Shining Time to Sodor, then there must be other places this line can connect to as well. The train tracks Lady can magically create must be linked to other worlds far beyond our own."

"I suppose if Shining Time and Sodor ended up being linked together somehow," Toby said, "it sounds about right that she'd be able to make more tracks that lead to other places."

"Wait, don't tell me there are actually worlds other than Mr. Conductor's this railway can go to?" Gordon said, frustratingly.

Percy was beginning to stress out a bit. He didn't have all the answers and only knew whatever Thomas told him. Even so, there wasn't enough detail to really explain what capabilities the Magic Railway has.

"That's what Lady told Thomas apparently."

Gordon wheesht sternly. "Great! Thomas is lost in some other world and we've no idea where. We're basically stuck searching for a needle in a hay stack."

"I wouldn't say that necessarily." Edward said, unsure.

"But it is. If he's not in Shining Time or Muffle Mountain, he's off some other place we don't know about! And I highly doubt the first world we visit is likely where we'll end up finding him."

"I'm sure there aren't that many tracks. Let's just follow this one and see where it goes."

"This is going to take forever!" James protested. "We'll never find Thomas in this mess."

Percy was beginning to question going into the Magic Railroad. Perhaps this wasn't such a good idea, especially convincing everyone to go in with him. The Engines weren't sure where they were going. What if they do end up in another world but can't branch off any further beyond the limited tracks they can travel on. Anything wrong could spring out of nowhere and cause all sorts of trouble. Scared and confused, Percy continued leading the search party down the track. It was difficult to see what was a head. The Railroad line was pitch black with only a few glimmers of midnight blue shining through creases of the thorny tunnel. The light then glowed brighter and brighter as they puffed further down the track. The path was still dim; only becoming a bit clearer as Percy and most of the other engines can finally see their surroundings a bit.

Percy stopped in his place, followed by the others behind him one by one. They came upon railway switches, one leading to the left and one to the right.

"Now where do we go?" James complained.

Henry tried to joke around a little to lighten the mood. "Hey, why not go down the right direction! Get it? Cause it's the right, path... right? Oh."

Percy peered down both pathways indecisively. Where do they go in deed? Then Toby thought of an idea.

"Why don't we go to Shining Time and ask Mr. Conductor how we can find Thomas? Maybe he can use his Gold Dust to track him somehow?"

"Oh yes, that's a brilliant idea, Toby" James said, sarcastically. "Percy, you know which track goes Shining Time Station, right? Why don't you go on ahead and take us there?"

Percy kept peering down both directions, sitting where he parked for what felt like minutes, unable to decide.

"Look, Percy" Gordon said, earnestly, "Perhaps we should just head back. We're not going to find Thomas by endlessly searching through different worlds. Let's just explain what we learned to Sir Topham Hatt. It's for the best."

Percy darted the ground uncertain. Even though he was scared to go on, he didn't want to leave his best friend behind without even trying to search for him. But Gordon had a point. How long would it take them to search through whatever worlds they end up going to?

"Maybe it is for the best if we go back, while we're still in the clear of any danger," Edward said.

"No!" Percy said. He had enough of everyone's doubts. "I'm not giving up on Thomas that easily. You all can go home if you want. I'll do what Toby suggested and find a way to Shining Time by myself."

"But it's dangerous to go alone, Percy," Henry warned.

"Are you coming with me then?"

Nobody said anything.

"Fine. Me and Thomas will see you all back on Sodor soon."

"Percy, wait!" Toby called out.

But Percy didn't listen, instead he chuffed crossly down the tracks pointed to the left. The other engines look back at each other, wondering what they should do now. They didn't want Percy to end up in any danger or loose him as well. If Diesel 10 was turning the engines into Husks and runs into Percy, he could be in serious trouble. James blew his whistle and puffed on to catch up with Percy. Henry whistled and followed after him, then Gordon, Edward, and Toby all making up their minds. No engine can afford to be left behind.

Percy came to an unexpected halt. He noticed something off about the Magic Railroad and the track he was on. James applied his brakes only to end up colliding into Percy and jerking him forward a bit. The same happens as Henry, Gordon, Edward and Toby all run into each other. James and the others were about to protest when they too noticed the sudden change in their environment. Percy felt the tracks beneath him rumble and shake, a few pebbles of rock and ballast vibrate off of the rails. Although, none of the others were moving, and neither was Percy. He peered down the direction a head of him. It was still a bit too dark to see anything.

Suddenly, the light shining through the thorns began to turn a much different shade. Instead of midnight blue, it changes into a greenish color, then yellow, then orange, until finally the transitioning settled on a deep, piercing shade of red that surrounding the whole area. Extra illuminates of light flickered though the vines in a fiery motion as if there really were flames on the other side. The flaming lights were bright enough so Percy could almost make out what was causing the tracks to rumble if no one was in motion.

He then got a pretty good idea why. Down a head, two small lights gleam through the thick but clear ambiance. The sound of smoke exhausting from it's engine, a hydraulic piston squeaking, and an eerie clattering echoed down the tracks all the way to Percy and the others. This began to frighten everyone as the unnerving noises continued. Percy gasped in terror with eyes shot wide open. Thomas isn't able to make those noises, which leaves just one other engine who could, one who could only emulate the noise of a giant hydraulic claw.

"It's Him!" Percy yelled as he quickly backed up. "It's Diesel 10!"

Percy bumped into James, jerking him back and causing him to ram into Henry, who then bumped into Gordon, then Edward and finally Toby.

"Back up, back up!" Percy commanded. "He's coming from down the line! Quickly!"

Startled, James and the others panicked. They fearfully reversed back down the line but couldn't go any faster. Toby tried backing up with all his puff but was keeping the others from speeding down. It was too dangerous for the four tender engines to go backwards and they all had to reduce speed so as to not cause an accident.

"Can't you go any faster?!" James called out to Toby.

"I'm trying!" Toby said, wearily.

As Henry puffed passed the railway switches, he looks down the line leading to the other direction on the right. James found himself buffered up to Henry who stopped in his place. Gordon, Edward and Toby stopped too, wondering what Henry was doing.

"Everyone, go down the other tracks. He won't be able to catch up to us from there!"

"Are you mad? Of course, he will!" Gordon said.

"Better than an unpleasant reunion with Diesel 10" Edward said. "Now go!"

Diesel 10's lamps peered down in their direction blinding Percy and James. He was still ways away, but the closer his lamps were getting, the closer he was to them. James, Henry and the others behind them backed up so that Percy could get in front of the points facing the other tracks. Despite how afraid everyone was, they had to remain calm and move efficiently until they were on the other railway lane.

"Hurry, Percy!" James urged, frightfully.

The points were magically switched to the other path. Lights still pointed at them, Percy charged forward along with a screaming James. Both managed to take off and speeding down the rails, making it safely away from Diesel 10. Henry went down the tracks next but then abruptly came to a halt just a head of the points. Gordon grunted upon ramming into Henry and stood stationary on the points.

"Henry!" He yelled. "What on earth are you doing?!"

"I-I don't know. I don't feel good."

A weary and jaded Henry couldn't get his words out anymore. He watched James disappear in the dark red passageway as his vision started getting blurrier until absolute darkness was the only visible thing.

"When are you never," Before Gordon could finish, he gasped in shock over what he was witnessing.

The bright green paint on Henry's tender began to turn a much darker green shade, which began covering and spreading all over his tender. The dark shading was now taking over an unconscious Henry, helpless to do anything as he remained parked in front of the others and delaying their escape. The shadow started chipping away his paint work all the way to his number three emblem on both sides of his tender.

"What's going on up there?" Toby called.

There was more to come. The special coal in Henry's tender were now giving off smoke. Each and every individual piece billowed transparent patterns of smoldering waves. Out of nowhere, every piece of coal then bursts into flames and causing a wide collection of fire to scorch from his tender. Gordon cried out in fear, jolting away from Henry and the large fire peaking to the top of the Thorny tunnel. If the railway line wasn't bright enough before, it now most certainly is from within their vicinity. Even Diesel 10 could see them clearly now as he built up speed to catch up with the Engines.

Impetuously, Edwards backs up and couples up to Toby. He then bumps, couples up to Gordon, and begins nudging him forward. Gordon applied his brakes to avoid getting close to the fire. Edward's wheels screeched along the tracks as he was unable to push Gordon while pulling Toby, even though Toby was pushing just as hard too.

"Gordon," Edward shouted, "you have to push Henry!"

"But, I can't! The fire; It's too dangerous!"

"So is getting trapped. Now Push!"

They could hear Diesel 10 purring closer and closer. His lamps were now fixated on Gordon, blinding him a little. Pinchy unmounted from his roof and freely chomped the air in front of them. Edward and Toby stared down the left side and saw Diesel 10 visibly peer through the thick red murk, and getting an indication of his unsettling smile. Gordon hesitantly eyed Henry's flaming tender igniting the thorns above. He didn't want to admitted it to himself, but Gordon was afraid. But not afraid to get Henry and the others away from Diesel 10. Releasing his brakes and ramming into Henry, Gordon heroically pushes him down the line with Edward and Toby attached behind.

As if time had slowed down for just a moment, Toby got a good, full glimpse of Diesel 10, who parked right in front of him from the other set tracks leading to the direction they were about to travel. Toby's face was frozen in fear, expressionless as he passes by, gazing fixedly at Diesel 10 grinning back with amusement.

"Ah, Teapot!"

Toby looked saw Pinchy reach for his roof with it's jaws wide open and eager to snatch its prey. Missing by just an inch and releasing sparks and steam upon munching the air between them, Toby was soon speeding down the track behind Edward and Gordon. Henry was passed out and covered in the terrible dark shading while the fire fumed wildly from the coal in his tender. The four engines thundered down the rails, giving all the puff they can muster as they charged down the line as fast as their wheels can carry them. The fire from Henry's tender perilously breezed over Gordon's funnel from the speed at which they were consistently going. Heat from the fire radiate off his face and blocked his lidded eyes. Toby and Edward were almost out of breath but were determined to help Gordon get Henry to safety, not planning on stopping anytime soon until they were far away from Diesel 10.

"I can't see!" Gordon yelled. "I don't know where I'm going!"

"Just keep chuffing, Gordon!" Edward said.

"We'll end up crashing into something!"

"No, we won't. Trust in the magic and it'll guide us to safety."

"To where?!"

"Anywhere but here!" Toby cried.

Suddenly, collective train whistles whooshed past, followed by signal lights blinking and a golden light manifesting and spiraling beyond Henry's view. Gordon, Edward, and Toby all screamed while shutting their eyes and braced for impact, as they barged through the bright light of the magic portal. The Engines escaped Diesel 10's grasp and arrived at their next destination.


To Be Continued.

PreviousChapters Next