• Published 12th Oct 2017
  • 2,451 Views, 56 Comments

All Hail the Overlord - TheAncientPolitzanian



An alternate reality requests the aid of the Elements of Harmony and the Princesses in fighting the greatest threat they may yet face. However, this threat goes by a name familiar to all of them: Thorax.

  • ...
2
 56
 2,451

Chapter 7: Duel of Kings

Sombra stared down Thorax, axe at his side. Perhaps this changeling could stand up against the Overlord.

Sombra smiled to himself. 'All I have to do now is make sure you win, my fluorescent little friend.'

Shadows began to collect under Sombra's hooves. They suddenly shot up and covered his entire body, before hardening into black crystals. The crystals formed a suit of dark purple armor around him, spikes forming into a crown on his head, alongside spikes that emerged from his foreleg shoulders. The only things visible through the Armor were two baleful glowing green eyes, without pupils.

"I am the darkness incarnate. Mortals fear me, for I am unending," Sombra said. A little campy, but it got the point across.


Thorax gulped and began charging a spell, his antlers and his horn both glowing cyan. He was confident that he was at least powerful enough to fight him for more then a few minutes. He had heard that Sombra was only as strong as one of the princesses.

But wait... wasn't Sombra shattered into a thousand pieces? Was this a different Sombra? If that was the case, this could go down south, really, really quickly.

Suddenly, shadows under Sombra's hooves burst outwards, launching Sombra into the air. He then brought his axe downwards towards the Changeling King.

Thorax jumped out of the way just in time, so that he wasn't sliced in half by the Axe, however, Black Crystals shot up out of the ground, spreading around the area where the Axe struck the ground.

Thorax was launched into the air by this, landing several meters away, a couple cracks in his carapace. He looked up with a grunt to see Sombra walking through the field of black crystals towards him.

With a horizontal swing of his axe, he sliced several crystals in half while still walking. His eyes locked with Thorax.

Thorax gritted his teeth and fired a spell at Sombra. The cyan bolt of energy struck the crystal, being absorbed into it. The crystal armor flashed purple for a brief second before retreating into an almost black purple.

Sombra then burst forwards and swung his axe, attempting to cut Thorax in half.

Thorax took to the air just in time, to have the axe barely scratch against his armor. Thorax flew upwards until he was almost at the roof of the building and charged spell that Starlight had taught him last time she visited. He remembered that it was good for destroying rocks, which the Hive desperately needed when expanding and digging.

Crystals were just a type of shiny rock, right? It didn't matter, it was at this point, probably the only spell he had that could tear through the armor.

Sombra crouched down as the crystals that had been created from his attack broke apart, and turned into shadows that began to collect at his feet.

He preformed another Shadow jump, where the Shadows launched him upwards. He flew directly towards Thorax.

Thorax fired his spell directly at Sombra. A large blue beam struck Sombra directly in the chest. The bolt created a small crack in Sombra's armor, afterwards, a blue ball of energy flew out of Thorax's horn and dug into the crack, before exploding.

A massive storm of Crystal shards flew outwards in all directions. The two of them were too far in the air for the Shards to have any affect on the battle below, besides a slight annoyance to the fighters, but the shards flew directly at Thorax, many of them digging into his Carapace, but the worse part was that a couple of them flew directly at his wings, digging holes in them, and causing Thorax to scream out in pain.

Thorax began falling towards the ground, but Sombra had fallen first.

The smoke created by the Explosion cleared allowing Thorax to see the falling Sombra.

The two locked eyes as they fell, a tad bit of an awkward moment.

Just as Sombra was about the hit the floor, he transformed into a shadow, which splattered against the pavement, before regrouping into one pony like form, solidifying into Sombra.

Thorax was not so lucky as to have an ability like that, but he come up with a plan that could work in a similar way. Thorax transformed into a Jellyfish and hit the ground to no damage, before he turned back into his form.

Thorax was completely fine, because there jellyfish had no body parts that could actually be hurt from a fall. No Bones or Carapace to break.

He however, did not have a moment to breath before Sombra swung his axe at him. Thorax got out of the way just in time to avoid a strike.

Thorax however, was not able to avoid a punch from Sombra which sent him flying backwards.

It was, however at the perfect angle to send him flying towards the Equestrian spear wall.


Sombra smiled at his handiwork. Not only had he made the fight look convincing, so much so, that he believed Thorax would think that no punches were pulled, even though he was only just trying, but he had also made it look like he had accidently punched Thorax towards an area where he would most likely not be able to retrieve him.

"Sombra! You idiot! You just threw the Changeling King towards the enemy lines! The Elements of Harmony will clearly be in a position to protect him from us now!" the same changeling said, landing besides Sombra. "I am taking control. I will fix your mistake."

Sombra looked to the changeling as he turned around and walked through the veil of darkness.

This could be a problem.


"I mean, you guys are basically going around chopping the heads off Equestrian nobles and killing people. That isn't very obviously not good for people who eat love, and don't you guys get your strength from love," Ember said.

General Haras stared at her and gritted his teeth, before the Overlord raised his hoof and prevented him from saying anything.

"My dear, it is a rather simple answer. We removed our need to eat love by eating other things," the Overlord said.

"Like?" Ember pressed the question.

"The rest of my hive eat hate. It is a very plentiful thing here," he answered.

"The rest of your hive? Does that mean you eat something else? What would that be?" she asked.

The Overlord smiled. "I eat something that is a little harder to get. Something that I actually have to put work into."

Ember blinked and the Overlord was suddenly gone.

"Fear," the Overlord's voice continued from somewhere behind her.

She quickly turned around to see that the Overlord was now behind her, brandishing his two wicked fangs.

Ember stumbled away from him, her eyes opened wide, clearly with fear.

"Delicious." The Overlord chuckled, before disappearing when Ember blinked again, returning to his throne.

"This doesn't really answer my question though. How exactly did you get that powerful?" Ember pressed.

The Overlord scowled at this. His flaming eyes locking with Ember's, causing a chill to run down her spine.

"All you need to know right now, it that I have absorbed a lot of fear in my life, and leave it at that. I don't trust you enough to DARE telling you anything. I know that if I told you now, you would run off and try to use my own powers against me," the Overlord replied, rising from his throne.

Ember slowly backed away from the Overlord and gulped.

"I'll forgive this transgression this time. If I hear that question escape your mouth one more time, I will put you down like a dog," the Overlord said, causing Ember to nod profusely and quickly exit the room.

The Overlord's scowl dropped and he fell back into his throne with a laugh. "It looks like I have a replacement for Sombra. One that actually knows how to follow orders."


With Shining Armor down, it was now Celestia's job to coordinate the guard. She gave out orders and designated a escape route for the fleeing civilians and partygoers. This has gone down as perhaps the worst Galloping Galla so far, she had to say. This was going horribly.

This was also her first real time directing guards and she was commanding a squad of royal guards to fight a small army of Changelings lead by her former lover. This was a VERY bad day for her.

But, unbeknownst to her, the Alternate Pharynx just behind her slowly cracked one of his flaming eyes open.

Author's Note:

I personally belive I am.... ok at fight scenes.

If you liked the story, feel free to like and comment.

If you didn't leave a comment telling me how I can Improve.