• Published 17th Aug 2017
  • 873 Views, 72 Comments

The Phoenix King - Turtlehaus



Smolder has journeyed into the Void to help the mysterious Mira take back the Kingdom of Naught from the Dark King Null. Twilight and friends are racing to find clues to the Void, while an ancient evil sets its sights on Equestria.

  • ...
1
 72
 873

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 27: Stumping The Yard

The Police Cart rumbled down the cobblestone streets of Trottingham, its destination was the Yard, where every pony that may have been responsible for Sir Lancaster's disappearance was being held. Within the carriage sat Pinkie Pie and Rarity, glancing over the parchment they had found in the recycling bin. Rarity had borrowed Pinkie Pie's magnifying glass, having her own look over the parchment; Pinkie Pie blew bubbles from her pipe while watching from the corner of her eye.

"See anything peculiar, Rarity?" Pinkie Pie asked, posing the question to her.

"Am I supposed to be seeing something?" Rarity asked curiously, glancing over at Pinkie Pie.

"I'd like your opinion; an extra set of eyes can be very helpful to put things in perspective." Pinkie Pie stated, tapping her hoof against the parchment in encouragement.

Rarity repositioned the magnifying glass, taking another look at the parchment. She felt that Pinkie Pie would have already made a hundred predictions about what the parchment meant, or even what the purpose of it was, but Rarity felt that Pinkie was being sincere; doing her best to find something out of place.

"Well, it appears to me that Sir Lancaster has been crossing off ponies names; perhaps to narrow down a singular pony." Rarity began.

"For what purpose?" Pinkie Pie asked curiously.

Rarity took another look at the parchment.

"If Sir Lancaster was feeling threatened, and crossing off names on a list is a means to eliminate them. He was either narrowing down his would be attacker?" Rarity asked trying to flush out her idea.

"Or?" Pinkie Pie asked.

"Or… some pony he could trust?" Rarity offered, trying to think of the reverse.

"Marvelous, Rarity, you've solved the mystery of the note." Pinkie Pie congratulated her.

"That's it?" Rarity asked in surprise.

"I was able to deduce that this list served two purposes and you were able to guess both." Pinkie Pie stated.

"So, I didn't discover anything you didn't already know?" Rarity asked curiously.

"On the contrary, you stated that Sir Lancaster 'felt' threatened. Which would have any pony going to the authorities, but Sir Lancaster did not. Now why would a pony not go to police for help?" Pinkie Pie asked curiously.

"Because… he knew they couldn't?" Rarity happen a guess.

"Or wouldn't." Pinkie Pie added.

"The police not willing to help a pony? Why wouldn't they?" Rarity asked in surprise.

"That, my dear Rarity, is the answer we are looking for, and the only pony that knew that answer is now missing. From this list, we have only now one thing, would you like to take a guess at what that might be?" Pinkie Pie offered her the question.

"Well, let me see." Rarity mumbled looking over the parchment.

There were all the names of ponies that worked at the museum, as well as the research team; Sir Lancaster's name being missing. There were times of each pony's routine, lots of scratched of names and times that had been rewritten over and over again, but she couldn't really find anything that would answer Pinkie's question.

"We can infer that Sir Lancaster could not trust the police with what he knew, so what did he do?" Pinkie Pie asked another question, hoping to lead her towards the answer.

"He kept track of the ponies he found to be… suspicious." Rarity replied, still mulling over the parchment. "Which meant that he would not have told them anything, which has been rather obvious up to this point?"

"Go on." Pinkie Pie urged her.

A light went off inside of Rarity's head.

"So he went to the one pony he knew he could trust." Rarity said confidently, surprised by her own deduction.

"The one pony he could trust, who is currently being held at Trottingham Yard." Pinkie Pie stated, patting Rarity on the shoulder for a job well done.


Trixie sat within her holding cell, head hanging low, looking awfully depressed. After the whole fiasco in Ponyville, Trixie was hoping to make a fresh start someplace far enough away where ponies wouldn't know of her in such detail, but the inquiries being made by Trottingham's finest would uncover her rather colored past. Feeling that she had been at the wrong place at the wrong time, she was hoping against hope for a miracle to save her from being accused of something she didn't do.

A Police Pony strolled up to her cell. Trixie glanced up to see him looking for the right key, before unlocking her cell. Pulling the metal bar door open, the Police Pony stepped to the side.

"You're free to go, Ms. Lulamoon." The Police Pony stated.

"What?" Trixie squeaked in disbelief.

"New evidence has come to light, you're being released." The Police Pony stated.

Her heart went from swimming around in the pit of her stomach to floating on a cloud near her throat. Feeling mystified by the whole ordeal, Trixie was slow to get to her hooves, stepping cautiously out of the cell before the Police Pony closed it behind her.

"I'll take you to the front, just follow me." The Police Pony stated, walking towards the end of the corridor.

Trixie followed the Police Pony into the lobby where there were dozens of Trottingham's finest hustling about, writing up reports, and dealing with other misfortunate ponies. Being brought to the lobby, Trixie could see the Constable reading over some parchment while Pinkie Pie and Rarity stood before him. With a clear of his throat, the Police Pony got the attention of the Constable who turned to see Trixie standing beside him.

"Ms. Lulamoon, Detective Pinkamena Pie has secured your release. We hope you understand the necessary steps to ensure that justice was sought for Sir Lancaster and that you were not singled out from any other pony." The Constable told her.

It was his own way of saying 'sorry for accusing you', but being off the hook meant more to Trixie then an apology at the moment.

"You did this, Pinkie Pie?" Trixie asked in disbelief.

"Rarity helped, of course." Pinkie Pie replied to her.

Trixie suddenly embraced the two of them, hugging them rather tightly; unable to express the relief and thanks she had for the two of them. Her hug was graciously accepted.

"This parchment may prove that Sir Lancaster did not suspect Trixie as a threat, but it does put the others here in a rather awkward situation." The Constable stated still looking it over.

"I'd like to speak to the Research Team, one at a time, and see what they've been hiding." Pinkie Pie stated, pulling away from Trixie.

"Well, that's sort of my job; I get to ask the questions." The Constable said, sounding rather insecure about another pony doing his job.

"Pretty please?" Pinkie Pie asked very sweetly, batting her eyes at him.

The Constable's face turned rather sour, not liking the idea, but gave in to the sad puppy dog eyes Pinkie had given him.

"Very well then, but we'll be monitoring you from the two way mirror." The Constable stated. "Right this way."

Rarity and Pinkie Pie proceeded to follow the Constable, leaving Trixie in the lobby. She looked towards the double doors that would lead her back to the theatre, but looked back towards Pinkie and the others feeling a sense of gratitude swelling in her heart.

"Pinkie!" Trixie called out to her.

Pinkie Pie and Rarity stopped to look back at Trixie; the Constable turning to look as well.

"Can… can… can I be of some help?" Trixie asked, feeling rather awkward.

"You want to help us find whoever made Sir Lancaster disappear?" Pinkie Pie asked curiously.

"Well… I don't know what I can do… but if you'll allow me…" Trixie said slowly. "I'd like to help you… like you helped me."

Rarity and Pinkie Pie could hear the sincerity in her voice.

"Welcome to the team, Trixie." Pinkie Pie stated, motioning for her to follow.

Trixie's face lit up; there was a sudden elation of being accepted that made her smile wide. She hurried after them, while the Constable seemed to be at odds with himself. It was unorthodox to have civilian ponies working a case, but on the other hoof, Pinkie Pie had already proven herself a true detective. In the end, the Constable wanted this case to be solved as soon as possible, with the safe return of Sir Lancaster, and if that meant having Pinkie Pie and her team help out then it was alright by him.

Pinkie Pie separated from the group, heading into the Interrogation Room with the Constable, while every pony else entered the observation room to watch what was going on. Pinkie Pie sat herself down in the chair; her back facing the mirror, the table was bare of anything other then what the Constable set down before her.

"These are all the files we have on each pony, pictures, and some evidence in these plastic bags we had collected from the research room before your arrival. Take some time to review it, when you're ready we'll bring in the suspects." The Constable said to her.

"Thank you, Constable." Pinkie Pie said picking up the first file.

The Constable left the room, leaving Pinkie to her deductions. Retiring to the observation room to join the other ponies, feeling that they might just uncover something yet, the Constable was interested to see how Pinkie ran her own interrogation.

The observation room had a few chairs for ponies to sit on, a small table of refreshments, and of course a recorder to keep a detailed account of everything said in the Interrogation Room.

Every pony helped themselves to some water, a donut, while waiting patiently for Pinkie Pie to familiarize herself with the case in its greatest detail. Trixie felt a bit out of place, having been allowed to join them, she felt she needed to get things off on the right hoof.

"Thank you again for clearing my name, Rarity." Trixie mentioned to her.

"Think nothing of it, dear, we're glad to have set things straight." Rarity said comfortingly.

"I was worried that you ponies weren't going to believe me, seeing as… well…" Trixie trailed off sounding rather embarrassed.

"We've all made mistakes, dear, what's important is that you're trying to do better. That's really all a pony can ask of you." Rarity said encouragingly.

Before Trixie was able to reply, a sudden rapt against the mirror drew every ponies attention. Pinkie Pie had knocked upon the glass, mouthing words they could not hear. The Constable shot a look at the switch on the wall, with a flick, the vents near the ceiling turned up to allow sound through.

"I know you have donuts in there! Send in the first pony and have him or her bring a donut!" Pinkie Pie hollered, still knocking against the mirror.

A police pony had escorted Mr. Bartlesby into the Interrogation Room, but to his surprise it was the rather observant detective waiting for him instead of the Constable; he was rather surprised to see a donut waiting for him. Pinkie Pie had just finished the last bite of her donut, before motioning Mr. Bartlesby to come over. Seating himself across from Pinkie Pie, he watched her motion towards the donut, encouraging him to eat it. Mr. Bartlesby did feel rather hungry, so he indulged himself.

"So, Mr. Bartlesby…" Pinkie Pie began, flipping open the first folder.

"Yef?" Mr. Bartlesby said through a mouthful of donut.

"Can you describe to me your relationship with Sir Lancaster?" Pinkie Pie asked; her eyes trained on the report in front of her.

Swallowing his bite, Mr. Bartlesby cleared his throat.

"Sir Lancaster and I had a mutual friendship, our interest in the Void stemmed from the sheer lack of evidence of it. The opportunity to be part of a Research Team that was well funded to find anything and everything about the Void had us working together for the first time. I would transcribe old pony texts before passing them off to Sir Lancaster who was in charge of cross referencing the information to particular dates and places in modern day Trottingham. Our only interaction was when I handed him all of the work I had finished." Mr. Bartlesby answered.

"Do you normally show up late for work?" Pinkie Pie asked curiously.

"Late?" Mr. Bartlesby asked sounding confused.

"Sir Lancaster had been keeping a rather detailed timetable of each of his fellow researchers, and it appears that he had clocked you in nearly an hour late over the last week." Pinkie Pie explained, showing Mr. Bartlesby the parchment she spoke of.

Mr. Bartlesby became unnerved.

"I-I-It is a personal issue that I don't care to discuss." Mr. Bartlesby stated, face flushing slightly.

"Sir Lancaster also has you taking much longer lunch breaks. You must be a very hungry pony." Pinkie Pie stated in a rather calm and normal tone.

"Why would Sir Lancaster care about my-my-my eating habits? It's no business of his." Mr. Bartlesby questioned it.

"What I find interesting was that you usually clock out at around five o'clock every evening, Mr. Bartlesby." Pinkie Pie continued.

"What of it?" Mr. Bartlesby asked sounding defensive.

"You claim to have heard Sir Lancaster ranting and raving in the Research Room, which places you at the museum near midnight." Pinkie Pie informed him; watching the color drain from his face. "What were you doing there so late?"

"I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I… want my lawyer!" Mr. Bartlesby stammered, turning rather red in the face.

"I want the truth! Spill it, Mr. Bartlesby! You're hiding something and I'll find out what it is sooner or later!" Pinkie Pie cried pointing her hoof at him accusingly.

"Talk to my lawyer, detective! I'm not saying another word!" Mr. Bartlesby said defiantly, folding his arms.

"Take him back to his cell, but don't let him finish his donut." Pinkie Pie said to the Police Pony standing off to the side.

"No! I'm famished! Let me have the rest of it!" Mr. Bartlesby cried, the Police Pony pulling him away from the table.

Pinkie Pie slid the half eaten donut into the trash can beside the table; much to the horror of Mr. Bartlesby who demanded his lawyer once more. The door closed on the Interrogation Room, the Constable approaching a vent near the side of the mirror to speak with her.

"Mr. Bartlesby is the son of Sir Reggie Bartlesby, a big benefactor to the museum, third wealthiest family in Trottingham. He'll have the best lawyer money can buy." The Constable stated.

"Mr. Bartlesby didn't do it, but he is hiding something." Pinkie Pie replied.

Rarity was now on her hooves after hearing this, craning over to the vent to speak to her.

"How do you know that, Pinkie?" Rarity asked.

"There's no motive. Mr. Bartlesby stands to gain nothing from Sir Lancaster's disappearance, in fact, without Sir Lancaster, the research cannot continue. Which means that some other pony may have wanted that very thing to happen." Pinkie Pie said thinking deeply on it.

"Who shall I send in next?" The Constable asked.

"Have Mr. Montague come in, please." Pinkie Pie replied.

Mr. Montague strode into the Interrogation Room, his head held high, with all his dignity and pride laid out upon his face. He sat across from Pinkie Pie without question, looking ready to answer anything she would ask; Pinkie could feel that Mr. Montague wasn't here to chat.

"Nice to see you again, Mr. Montague." Pinkie Pie began.

"As well you, detective. Tell me, have you found Sir Lancaster yet?" Mr. Montague asked hurriedly.

"Unfortunately, we have not." Pinkie Pie replied.

"Terrible, just terrible." Mr. Montague stated, shaking his head.

"Mr. Montague, for over the last week, you have clocked out an hour early, while skipping over your lunch break entirely. Care to explain?" Pinkie Pie asked.

"Very well, I've been putting on a few extra pounds since last year. My wife has urged me to watch my eating before it becomes a real problem and I choose to skip lunch to help with this." Mr. Montague said sounding rather honest, and not the least bit embarrassed.

"Yet, the apple and peach tarts from this morning tell a rather different story, doesn't it?" Pinkie Pie asked.

"I… I have been cheating, I'll admit to that. I pass by four bakeries before turning up at the museum and it is rather hard not to indulge." Mr. Montague stated.

"So what do you do when you leave the museum an hour early?" Pinkie Pie continued to grill him.

"Well, I'm not getting any younger, and the hours every pony else puts in is not something I can do so easily anymore. Working through lunch, I feel that I make up the difference in some small way." Mr. Montague explained.

"It really is rather tough for a pony your age to keep up with a younger crowd." Pinkie Pie said slowly.

Pinkie Pie slid a piece of paper towards Mr. Montague, a familiar one to him, as it was his own statement taken by the Police Pony earlier today.

"So why would a pony of your age be going to the 'Silly Whispers' to meet up with some friends on a school night?" Pinkie Pie questioned him.

Mr. Montague withdrew a handkerchief , dabbing it upon his forehead, looking rather squeamish.

"Were you meeting another mare that night?" Pinkie Pie asked in an accusing manner.

"Sweet Celestia, no!" Mr. Montague remarked in surprise.

"Were you meeting with cohorts to get rid of Sir Lancaster?" Pinkie Pie asked again.

"Absolutely not!" Mr. Montague stated firmly.

"Perhaps you were trying to drink the guilt away from the hoof you played in Sir Lancaster's disappearance!" Pinkie Pie drilled him.

"I... I…" Mr. Montague mumbled.

Pinkie Pie watched as Mr. Montague raised his handkerchief to his eyes rather than his head this time. A few droplets of tears forming around his eyes. She could see that she had discovered something he held secret, but it wasn't about the case.

"You were right, detective, we don't have children. I'm to blame for that." Mr. Montague said, sniffling a bit. "It was hard to hear it from my doctor, even harder when I told my wife that I wasn't able to start a family with her."

Pinkie Pie remained quiet, her heart already breaking for him.

"My wife, my sweetheart, she said she never wanted children anyways. It was a lie of course. We had names already picked out before we were married." Mr. Montague wiped his nose with his handkerchief. "Sometimes I feel the need to… have a drink to bury my guilt again."

"But she loves you, Mr. Montague." Pinkie Pie said sympathetically.

"A colt is supposed to provide and protect his family. I have provided, and protected, but I failed to produce a family." Mr. Montague said clearing his throat and pocketing his handkerchief.

Pinkie Pie looked very sad for him; unsure of what to say.

"I work with younger ponies, detective, I consider them my colleagues, but a part of me feels responsible for them. So please find Sir Lancaster, he's a good colt, and a brilliant scholar, and I'm sure his wife would be ecstatic to have him home again." Mr. Montague implored her.

"I'll find him, Mr. Montague, I promise." Pinkie Pie said determinedly.

Mr. Montague was given no further questions, escorted by the Police Pony to his cell. In the observation room, Rarity and Trixie were clinging to one another, tears streaming down their faces from the story they just heard. The Constable had left the room to fetch a box of tissues for them, allowing them time to collect themselves, and Pinkie Pie, before continuing the investigation.

Pinkie Pie hadn't realized that the reason for Mr. Montague not having children wasn't by choice. It had taken her by surprise, but knowing how Mr. Montague felt about his colleagues steeled herself to finding this culprit.

"Please send in Misses Minerva, and another donut." Pinkie Pie requested.

Misses Minerva entered the Interrogation Room, she looked rather pale, but she did her best to smile. Pinkie Pie offered her the seat across from her. Misses Minerva sat down, watching Pinkie Pie push a donut towards her.

"Here have a do-" Pinkie Pie was cut short by Misses Minerva turning rather green in the face.

With her hoof over her mouth, Missies Minerva ducked under the table, taking hold of the trashcan there, only to see the other half eaten donut. The sound of retching, vomiting, as the sound of sick filled the room; Pinkie Pie immediately getting to her hooves to keep Misses Minerva's mane from back; trying her best to comfort her.

"…thanks…" Misses Minerva groaned lifting her head.

"Is everything alright, Pinkie?" Rarity asked sounding concerned through the vent.

"Yeah, but we can use some help." Pinkie Pie replied.

There was a brief time spent cleaning up, the Police Pony having brought Misses Minerva some water and dried toast. She was given a blanket to help from her shivering, as Pinkie Pie sat next to her rather than across from her; gently rubbing her back.

"I'm sorry. I haven't been feeling myself lately." Misses Minerva apologized.

"Don't even worry about it, are you sure you're feeling alright?" Pinkie Pie asked sounding concerned.

"I wake up feeling just awful, but then as the day goes on I'm feeling much better. I used to love donuts, but lately I can't stand the sight of them." Missies Minerva explained.

"I wonder what might have caused her to react like that?" Trixie asked, watching through the glass.

"It is rather peculiar isn't it?" Rarity questioned it as well.

Pinkie Pie didn't feel like asking Misses Minerva too many questions, but Sir Lancaster was still missing; he needed to be found.

"Misses Minerva, Sir Lancaster kept a timetable of your schedule, having pointed out some oddities. You've taken long lunches, and been showing up to work late. Although, I can see that it might have something to do with your sickness." Pinkie Pie stated.

"That weasel, keeping tabs on us, I should punch him!" Misses Minerva snapped kicking the table rather hard.

"We have to find him fir- wait… us?" Pinkie Pie asked, sounding surprised.

"Yeah, James and I." Misses Minerva stated.

"He took tabs on every pony at the museum." Pinkie Pie clarified.

Misses Minerva's face started to flush. She had misunderstood thinking that Sir Lancaster was just keeping track of her. It was clear now that something was going on between James and herself. Pinkie was rather surprised that she hadn't seen it sooner. Mr. Bartlesby and Misses Minerva's times were identical; even the discrepancies.

"Mr. Bartlesby wouldn't tell us what he was doing during those hours, but would you be willing to tell us?" Pinkie Pie asked.

"N-N-No, I refuse as well!" Misses Minerva snapped, turning her head away from her.

Pinkie Pie got up from her chair, heading towards the two way mirror, stepping up to the vent.

"Can I get some more donuts in here, please?" Pinkie Pie asked.

Misses Minerva's face went ghastly again.

"No! Please! Detective! I just-I just can't tell you, you have to believe me!" Misses Minerva pleaded.

"There is a pony missing, a colleague of yours. You should be more concerned for his safety then your little fraternizing with Mr. Bartlesby." Pinkie Pie stated.

Trixie and Rarity gasped at this. Having suddenly realized that Mr. Bartlesby and Misses Minerva was an item, and that they were running off to be together during work hours. Trixie and Rarity muscled past the Constable to the vent to hear what was going on better; starving for the juicy details of their secret love affair.

Misses Minerva flushing furiously, her secret, or perhaps their secret, had been found out.

"So how long has this been going on?" Pinkie Pie asked curiously.

"None of your business." Misses Minerva snapped coldly.

"I'm not sure why you have to keep it such a secret from every pony; I thought your colleagues would be excited and happy for you." Pinkie Pie stated.

"Yeah, and have every pony from here to Canterlot talking about it." Misses Minerva spat miserably.

"What's the problem?" Pinkie Pie asked.

"I'm the problem; I'm just a vagrant, a peasant, an undesirable, a commoner pony that shouldn't be mixing herself with nobility. I'm not good enough to share the Bartlesby name." Misses Minerva pouted, becoming emotional from her own taunting.

"Did Mr. Bartlesby say that?" Rarity asked in horror through the vent.

"No! His father did! Refusing to let James see me, or he would be disowned from the family." Misses Minerva shouted, tears welling in her eyes.

"And what did James do?" Trixie asked from the vent.

"Would you to sit down!" The Constable shouted over the vent, trying to regain control of the observation room.

"He… he… he… told me he didn't care what his father said. That he would throw it all away to… to… to…" Misses Minerva covered her eyes, crying to herself.

Pinkie Pie put an arm around her, trying to comfort her; slowly rocking her back and forth.

"So you and Mr. Bartlesby had 'secret' meet ups at the museum, even some late night ones, huh?" Pinkie Pie asked comfortingly.

"I wouldn't let him walk away from his family, I didn't want that. So we saw each other whenever we could, sometimes during lunch, or we'd spend the night together at my place. It was exciting, like one of those cheesy romance novels you read. Then I started getting sick and James kept trying to take care of me, coming over every morning to check on me." Misses Minerva mumbled, wiping her eyes.

"It does sound like those cheesy romance novels; I want a copy of the tape when it is all over." Trixie stated; hanging on every word Minerva spoke.

"Except that the mare isn't so sick and throwing up every morn-" Rarity stopped herself short; her eyes widening at the sudden realization.

Leaping towards the vent, nearly toppling the Constable over, Rarity opened the vent as fast as she could; having closed and opened it nearly twenty times in her panic.

"Misses Minerva is pregnant!" Rarity shouted into the vent.

At these words, Misses Minerva perked up, her face a soft rosy red, and her body not shaking anymore. Pinkie Pie looked just as surprised, having put one and one together but not realizing it had actually made three. Missies Minerva looked almost happy at the news, she seemed to understand why she was so sick all the time, why her taste in food changed, and her mood swings.

"I wonder… I wonder if James will be happy to hear it?" Misses Minerva asked herself.

"Of course he will!" Rarity and Trixie shouted together from the vent.

There was a commotion outside the Interrogation Room door. It swung open with a slam, three Police Ponies were struggling against Mr. Bartlesby who seemed to be fighting his way to get into the room. A pony in a very nice suit was threatening the Police Ponies with legal action if he did not let go of his client.

"Rachel! Rachel! Don't say anything! I'll get you a lawyer!" Mr. Bartlesby shouted over their struggling.

The Constable emerged in the hallway, having seemed to be at the end of his patience. Taking hold of Mr. Bartlesby by the collar, he pulled him into the Interrogation Room, throwing him forward; watching him stumble a bit. The lawyer pony was threatening up a storm about the legal ramifications of what was going to happen if they didn't release his client, but the Constable slammed the door in his face.

"My lawyer needs to be present for this." Mr. Bartlesby stated, fixing his collar.

"Your lawyer doesn't need to hear about this." The Constable replied.

Mr. Bartlesby looked rather confused, but noticing the blanket wearing and pale faced Minerva that sat on the chair. He took immediately to her, fussing over her, asking dozens of questions concerning her health and how she was being treated; obviously overreacting to his special somepony.

"I'm taking you to see a doctor; end of discussion." Mr. Bartlesby stated firmly holding her hoof.

"Do you love me, James?" Minerva asked quietly, face flushing.

"Wh-Wh-What?" Mr. Bartlesby asked looking embarrassed.

"You're supposed to say yes!" Trixie and Rarity shouted together from the vent.

"I-I-I-I… my love, why are we talking about this now? In front of all these ponies? We're supposed to be keeping it a secret." Mr. Bartlesby asked her nervously.

"It won't be a secret for much longer." Misses Minerva said with a smile. "You're going to be a daddy."

Mr. Bartlesby, or in this moment, James, seemed to lose every ounce of pride and nobility; shrieking like a little filly and hugging Minerva tightly in disbelief. He was nearly bouncing, unable to contain his excitement, kissing her repeatedly on her head, over the moon from the news.


James and Rachel sat together in the Interrogation Room, lovingly holding onto one another, discussing their future together. Mr. Bartlesby's lawyer, who of course was Senior Bartlesby's lawyer had let slip the news of the engagement of his son and the mare he had forbade him to see.

With Senior Bartlesby, on his way to the Yard to confront his son and eventual daughter-in-law, it was pretty clear to the Constable and Pinkie Pie that none of the ponies had had a hoof in Sir Lancaster's disappearance. The Constable, Rarity, Trixie, and Pinkie Pie sat in his office, trying to plan their next move.

"Another dead end." The Constable said miserably.

"We've cleared four innocent ponies today, Constable, that's something." Pinkie Pie said encouragingly.

"The Press is getting wind of this, I'll have to make a statement soon, and I'll have no pony in custody. This isn't going to go over well." The Constable explained.

"We're not giving up yet, Constable. The three of us will uncover who is behind this." Rarity reassured him.

The door to the Constable's office slammed opened. A Police Pony quickly rushed in, holding a clipboard under his hoof, approaching the Constable's desk; looking very worried.

"What? What is it?" The Constable asked quickly.

"Sir, the evidence locker has been raided! Sir Lancaster's saddle bag has been taken!" The Police Pony stated hurriedly.

"Stolen?" The Constable asked in disbelief rising to his hooves.

Pinkie Pie and Rarity exchanged glances with each other. Trixie felt her stomach drop, having been asked to watch over it for Sir Lancaster and having failed to that much for him.

"Who could have stolen it? No pony can get into the evidence lock up without proper clearance!" The Constable asked in disbelief.

The Police Pony passed him the clipboard, still looking rather distraught.

"The pony did have clearance, sir." The Police Pony stated.

The Constable recognized the paper on the clipboard to be the sign in and out sheet for the Evidence Locker. Quickly scanning the names of every pony on it, until he reached the last name on the list; his eyes grew wide in disbelief.

"Who? Who is it, Constable?" Pinkie Pie asked.

"Duke Wellington." The Constable said quietly.

PreviousChapters Next