• Published 17th Aug 2017
  • 870 Views, 72 Comments

The Phoenix King - Turtlehaus



Smolder has journeyed into the Void to help the mysterious Mira take back the Kingdom of Naught from the Dark King Null. Twilight and friends are racing to find clues to the Void, while an ancient evil sets its sights on Equestria.

  • ...
1
 72
 870

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 57: Light Affirmation

The Echoes poured from the tunnels like water, their disregard for each other’s safety prompted them to scamper and trample over themselves in the attempt to pursue the fleeing ponies. Princess Celestia’s horn lighted the way for Rainbow Dash, Applejack, and Daring Do to race back through the dark tunnels having no way of knowing where they were going other than away from the hordes of creatures giving chase. Each tunnel taken was out of necessity to avoid the sudden emergence of more of these Echoes that barreled headlong towards them from their current path.

It just so happened that the next tunnel chosen proved to be an outlet to a wide expanse, a cavern of sorts that proved to be no inherent problem for all those with wings, but proved to be unwelcomed by Applejack who tumbled out from the threshold. Daring Do and Rainbow Dash were quick to dive down after Applejack, catching her from her fall as Princess Celestia leaped from the mouth of the cave to glide out into the expanse away from their pursuers.

Without any concern or thought, the Echoes charged out from the breach, falling into the darkness of the cavern. Some even tried leaping at them, flailing their clubbed hands and bladed arms at them hoping to make contact. None were able to reach, eventually falling into the darkness below with the others.

“I’d like to say that this is the freakiest thing we’d seen today, but it’s not.” Applejack said.

“This would be one hay of a story to tell, but I don’t think any pony would believe a single word of it.” Daring Do mentioned.

“Let’s not get too distracted, everypony. Wingston and Princess Sapphire were caught in the initial blast of the Storm. I can only hope that they are with one another and are relatively safe at this point. The other might not be so lucky.” Princess Celestia said.

“Then let’s find some place to land and start looking for them before the Storm finds them first.” Rainbow Dash said.

Princess Celestia had opted to create some distance from these creatures, gliding across the cavern towards the direction they had come from. No pony was sure that any tunnel would lead back to the others, especially on the information the Twins had given them before on how expansive the tunnel network really was. After a time, every pony began their descent into the cavern, following the soft glow of Princess Celestia’s horn, having lowered it intensity to avoid attracting anymore creatures to them. Touching down on the black sand once again, every pony found themselves without any sort of landmark to go on and stood within the darkness with no direction.

“Back to square one again.” Daring Do mumbled.

“Let’s just hope that it doesn’t involve another Aswang or giant octopus again.” Rainbow Dash added.

“What’s an Aswang?” Princess Celestia asked curiously.

The group of ponies walked on, taking turns explaining to Princess Celestia of their wild adventures upon entering the Void and the creatures they had come up against. Without truly knowing where they were going, no pony found it to be a good idea to rush into being lost and decided to let it find them if the time ever came.

For a moment it seemed like they had alluded their problems, but the sudden shifting of sand behind them prompted them to think again. A single Echo had found a means to reach the bottom without injury, whether it was the sheer number of bodies that had piled up, or perhaps an unseen tunnel somewhere else.

Rainbow Dash was first to respond. Exploding from the spot with a mighty thrust of her wings, Rainbow Dash drove her back legs straight through the creatures midsection and watched it tumble back into sand. A wisp of spirit seemed to shrivel from the remains, writhing in pain, before disappearing all together.

Two more Echoes had appeared within the light of Princess Celestia’s horn. Applejack and Daring Do leaped is to the fight, easily overpowering the two Echoes and reducing them to dust. The thudding of footsteps and the increased sounds of shifting sands alerted them to the hoard that would soon be upon them. Without a clear direction to go, or even a suitable place to hide, every pony grouped together to prepare to fight off the hoard of creatures.

Increasing the brightness of her horn, Princess Celestia revealed countless Echoes storming towards them, mindlessly following their one task of capturing them by any means necessary.

A sudden flash of magic erupted from Princess Celestia’s horn, producing several large spheres of light that scattered across the cavern with great haste. The impact of each sphere released an immense explosion of white searing heat that vaporized a large number of Echoes within the area. Daring Do and Rainbow Dash had their advantage of flying, allowing them to weed out the flanking Echoes that tried to catch them on off guard. Applejack places herself at the front of the hoard, working in tandem with Princess Celestia, bucking and striking any Echo that managed to evade Princess Celestia’s attack.

Even with their combined efforts, everypony was beginning to grow tired. The Echoes proved that their sheer numbers and relentless assault would either overwhelm them, or wear them down to exhaustion before doing so anyways.

“We’re getting nowhere fast.” Applejack muttered.

Daring Do and Rainbow Dash had backed off from their coordinated strikes, their arms and legs numb from the excessive hits against the molded sand. Princess Celestia was beginning to feel the strain of excessive spell casting and knew that she would need to summon an incredible amount of power to wipe the area clean of these creatures.

A high pitched shriek cut through the air, followed by a sudden burst of blackened spikes that flared across the black sand. The Echoes were skewered and impaled upon them as it fanned out across the cavern like rug being rolled open. The forest of spikes abruptly stopped a few feet away from Princess Celestia and everypony else. The Echoes writhed upon their spikes, attempting to get free, but slowly deteriorated back into the black sand. Wisps of black smoke streamed from the forest of spikes, withering away and retreating from every pony. Within the darkness of the cavern, a faint hint of blue could be seen softly pulsing.

“What is that?” Princess Celestia questioned the sight.

“Hey,” Rainbow Dash began. “That glowy stuff kind of looks familiar.”

“Let’s check it out.” Daring Do suggested.

Daring Do was already flying off towards the glow, with everypony else following after her. Growing closer, Rainbow Dash had good reason to find that glow familiar. Doubled over in the sand, arms trying to support her weight, was an Arcana resembling Tier attempting to catch its breath. Only Princess Celestia found this creature to be extraordinary, mystified by its very existence, but the other ponies had already gone through it before.

“Are you alright, sugar?” Applejack asked.

“What’s a… sugar?” Mira asked out of breath.

“Don’t let Pinkie Pie hear you say that.” Rainbow Dash added.

“You’re an Arcana, aren’t you?” Daring Do asked whipping out her journal. “You’re… let me see now… Mira, right?”

“How do you know my na-“

Mira cut herself short. Lifting her head to look at every pony she found herself locking eyes with a ghost. While Princess Celestia was not a flame pony, nor did she have the same physical traits as Queen Sunbeam, her white mane and gentle face gave an exhausted Mira quite a shock. Several emotions shot through her, fear, joy, remorse, happiness, and even humiliation, but she was able to recognize that this was not her lost friend.

Princess Celestia could see how mesmerized the Arcana was with her, while unsure of exactly why, she found herself spearheading introductions.

“I am Princess Celestia, this is Rainbow Dash, Applejack, and Daring Do. Are we to thank you for your assistance in ridding us of these creatures?” Princess Celestia asked.

“You shouldn’t be here.” Mira stated.

“It really wasn’t up to us to tell ya the truth.” Applejack replied.

Why shouldn’t we be here?” Princess Celestia asked curiously.

Mira’s face soured a bit. Forcing herself to stand, Mira stumbled forward and falling against Applejack for support. Before Applejack had a chance to assist her further, Mira had pushed herself away from her and continued to stagger forward.

“I don’t have time to babysit you ponies. I need to find my flame pony.” Mira told them.

“I thought he’d be with you.” Daring Do pointed out, looking over her notes.

Mira did not respond to them. It was easy to see that Mira was not well, she looked weak, exhausted, and there was a scar on her back that seemed to still be healing.

“Why would you assume that Smolder would be with her, Daring Do?” Princess Celestia asked.

“We found another Arcana in the forests of the Jungle Ponies. She told us that there were only one other Arcana that looked similar to her, but differed in color. She also said that the Arcana called Mira would try and kill Smolder.”

This had Mira stopping abruptly, her eyes wide with fear now, and surprised at how much they knew of her failed plans. There was a sudden glow emanating from Princess Celestia’s horn, a look of silent judgement strewn being directed towards Mira. Having stopped so suddenly had already incriminated her and the look on her face would on provide further proof of her guilt. A thought flashed through her mind to try and fight these ponies, if only to escape, but she could barely keep herself upright. Mira could feel the stares of every pony burning holes into the back of her head and would not let her leave now. It would take too much time to explain everything, even if she tried to sum it up it would only make her case worse.

“So what if I did try to kill him?” Mira hissed from over her shoulder.

“So you admit to it!” Rainbow Dash accused.

“Now settle down, Rainbow Dash, let’s not forget that Tier also said that Mira was extremely desperate. After what we’ve been through the last couple of hours and how long these Arcana can live for, I find it hard to put all the blame on her and not that storm.” Applejack moderated.

“You also emphasized ‘try’, to which I will assume that you failed to carry out your plan.” Princess Celestia stated.

“I don’t have to explain anything to you ponies. This is between Smolder and I.” Mira hissed again.

“Smolder is our friend and we’re here to help him. So if you’re planning on trying to hurt him again then you’re going to have to deal with us first.” Rainbow Dash warned her.

Mira turned to them, her face full of anger and regret. It seemed to every pony that she was conflicted, if not tormented by their accusations, and it was clear that a lot had gone on prior to their arrival.

“We asked for help once and no pony would answer.” Mira began, her voice quivering. “When I was the only one left I tried asking for help again and I was told to go away.”

Mira’s hands were balled into fists, her body shaking with anger, but it was not directed towards them.

“All I could think about was stopping the Storm, to kill it, just it like it killed everyone else, to be the monster everyone said I was, and I didn’t care what I’d have to do to get it. But Smolder-“

There was sudden trail off of Mira’s voice, her arms quickly wiping a tear from her face before any pony could see.

“He listened. He didn’t turn me away. He even promised to help.”

“Then why try to kill him?” Daring Do asked.

“Because… I’m a monster.” Mira whispered.

No pony wanted to stand there and add to the pain Mira was already feeling. The remorse that poured from almost seemed to cripple her as she hugged herself trying to calm down. From what Tier had told them, she believed that her friend Tier had perished along with everyone else, but having realized that she had survived frightened her. Not because Mira was inherently evil, but that a great evil had taken the best of them and nearly broken her. Pushed her to such an extreme that logical reason could not sway her, but it had seem that a small amount of kindness from a certain flame pony had given her hope.

“You know, sugar, your friend Tier told us a lot about you. More to the point, how you’re… uh… creator made you special. We were told that you were created to help fight all these here monsters, being one of the strongest Arcana in here, but that you weren’t considered to be a weapon. In fact, we were told that your creator gave you a really big heart that was filled with love for all your kin and friends.” Applejack told her.

“And that how losing everyone you cared about had… well… broken your heart.” Rainbow Dash added.

“That’s a lot of pain to be carrying around for so long and it would seem almost impossible to find reason to open yourself up again, but from what it sounds like, you did.” Daring Do said.

“It would be hard for any pony that has been through what you have and not be seen as a monster, but monsters do not feel remorse. Every pony loses their way from time to time, but a pony can always find their way back to who they once were. It helps when you have a flame pony to light your way.” Princess Celestia said comfortingly.

Mira hissed to herself, angry with her own vulnerability while wiping away the few stray tears that found their way onto her face.

“I’m surrounded by stupid ponies.” Mira mumbled.

The low groan of the Storm could be heard echoing throughout the cavern. It brought pause to everypony, feeling their manes stand on end by the desperate hunger that the sound brought with it.

“The Storm cannot be allowed to leave this place.” Mira said to them.

“Agreed.” Princess Celestia replied.

“If the Storm ever gets that close, you have to promise that you’ll destroy me.”

“What? Why?” Daring Do asked in surprise.

“The Obelisks within this realm can only be activated by an Arcana and I am the last of them. The Storm needs me to escape and it will harm any of you to get to me.”

“We can’t promise something like that.” Rainbow Dash stated.

Mira looked towards Princess Celestia, she said nothing, but her harden expression on her face was enough of a promise to the little Arcana.

“The Storm cannot get ahold of any flame pony, their light increases his power exponentially and if he were to escape into your world with such light…” Mira trailed off.

“It will not come to that. I will make sure of it.” Princess Celestia promised her.


Out of everything I would have thought to have seen, preparing myself for whatever creature that would rise up from the shadows, I found myself caught off guard seeing Sapphire here. There were no words that came to mind, it seemed almost impossible for her to be here, but there she was.

“Wh-What are you doing here?” I asked in happy disbelief.

I couldn’t remember how long it had been since seeing her, but then again I couldn’t really recall how long I had been here. Every part of me felt a sudden surge of glee, excitement, and joy which had me hurrying towards her to show just how much I had missed her.

Sapphire’s face looked mystified, almost awe struck, but I watched it turn to seething hatred the closer I got. A blast of magic exploded from her horn as I felt it strike me square in the chest, throwing me off my hooves, and slamming against the rock wall. I wheezed, trying to catch my breath, but Sapphire wasn’t finished with me yet.

“Who in the hay do you think you are leaving me standing there with that stupid seal and not even a goodbye? Do you have any idea what you’ve put me through? What you’ve put every pony through?”

“Sapphire I-“ I started getting to my hooves.

I felt another blast of magic hit me broadside and once more slamming me against the wall.

“I’m not finished!” Sapphire declared.

I was more frightened of Sapphire then the linger pain I felt in my side. Getting to my hooves I could see Sapphire approaching me with such mitigated fury that I was back pedaling along the side of the cave wall trying to keep my distance from her.

“You are single hoof the most arrogant, delusional, self-righteous, thick headed, idiotic flame pony that has ever lived! I should have let you rot here in this pony forsaken realm of freaky nightmarish creatures for the rest of eternity! What is it with you and your dysfunctional family that brings about the end of Equestria every few months? Answer me!”

“Well I-“

“Not good enough!”

The ground froze over, ice creeping up the rock walls, and Sapphire’s cloudy mane storming a flurry snowflakes behind her. I held out my arm to her, reflexively trying to keep her at bay as she seemed to only be growing angrier with each passing moment.

“I traveled all the way to Manehattan to retrieve Tea and her lantern, sent Twilight and her friends to the four corners of Equestria looking for your stupid Obelisks, traversed the White Walk with an ancient spirit haunting us at every turn and have now been pulled into the Void along with you!”

“Well you see-”

“Shut up!”

Sapphire swatted my arm away from her, trying to get right up into my face, but I was nearly running backwards just to keep her away. Her eyes burned a fiery blue, her magic sparking with power, and all I could do was cower from her wrath.

“I was nearly crushed by a giant ball of sand and dung from beetles nearly three stories tall! Threatened to be eaten by a freakish shapeshifter that called itself Aswang!”

“You saw Aswang?”

A blast of ice escaped Sapphire's mouth striking me in the chest and knocking me flat against the rock wall.

“I was hounded by a gigantic wolf, swarmed by ravenous flesh eating maggots, and falling into a river of strange foul smelling goo before being set upon by a giant octopus that bore acid!”

I felt Princess Sapphire’s hooves take hold of my shoulders, forcefully pinning me up against the rock wall. I stared right into her bright blue eyes, seeing the mixture of fury and anger sweep across her face. I swallowed hard, smiling weakly at her.

“What have you got to say for yourself, Smolder?”

I could tell that Sapphire and possibly everypony else had gone through hay and high water in the effort to help me. Although I didn't know all the details, Sapphire's rant had made it clear that it was not a walk through Sweet Apple Acres. I felt my stomach drop out, the thoughts of every pony being just as furious at me for what I had done, but the lightness in my heart would not go away.

“It’s nice... to see you again, Sapphire.” I smiled weakly, feeling her icy hooves tighten around my shoulders.

That’s when she kissed me. I found myself freezing up, my fire nearly going out in a snuff. Sapphire’s soft icy lips pressed against my rough and chapped ones. I felt weak at the knees, my eyes beginning to close from this remarkable bliss I was feeling. I felt her lean in, her arms sliding around my neck. I brought my arms around her, pulling her close, my flames sizzling from the ice from her mane. My heart was pounding, my head blank, and I found myself forgetting where I was for the moment.

I was quickly reminded with Sapphire pulling away and slapping me across the face in one swift motion. I’m sure I had it coming, for whatever reason she wanted to use, but I cannot say that I wasn’t too upset by it seeing to what I had just been given. Sapphire stepped away, looking rather embarrassed and flustered over our moment. Trying to ease the flurry of her mane, while clearing her throat to not show the slightest bit of vulnerability to even me, but Sapphire’s flushed face had given her away.

Rubbing my cheek I found myself in a difficult position once again, not knowing whether to speak, to thank her, or just remain quiet, but I felt that I would be hit again for any of them.

“Sapphire,” I had begun.

“You’re not to tell any pony of what just happened, or so help me you’ll wish you were thrown into the Celestial Sea.” Princess Sapphire warned me.

“But-“

Princess Sapphire glared at me, her face still rather flushed from the moment we shared, but her threatening gaze was enough to tell that she meant what she said. Even so, I found my courage to approached her, hoping that she would not find reason to hit me again as I embraced her tightly. I hadn’t seen another pony, besides my father, for Celestia knows how long and the first pony I was to see had been the last pony I had seen before entering this place. Sapphire seemed rather surprised by this, having been rather tense upon my initial hug, but quickly relaxed as she returned my affection by resting her head onto my shoulder while holding me rather tightly, as if not wanting me to let go.

“I… did not think that I would have seen you again, at least not in this place, but I'm very happy to see you, Sapphire.” I mumbled to her.

“It’s not just me, Twilight and her friends are here as well. Even Princess Celestia and Wingston were pulled into the Void.” Princess Sapphire explained.

Pulling back from our hug rather quickly, looking rather surprised by this, I found myself with dozens of questions already.

“What? Wingston?”

“It’s a long story, Smolder, one I hope we’ll be able to share once we’re out here but we need to find the others before these creatures do.” Princess Sapphire informed him.

Sapphire stepped away from Smolder, looking at where she had come from and noticing the other tunnels in which they could take.

“I’m not sure if you are familiar with any of these tunnels like your brothers are, but-“

“You found my brothers?” I cut her short.

Sapphire turned to face me wearing a rather sympathetic smile for me. “Yes, they were most helpful in dealing with the octopus I spoke of earlier, and I’ve been told that they assisted some of Twilight’s friends as well.”

I felt my heart jump from this news. My brothers were alive and working with every pony. It wasn’t hard to fathom them working with Twilight and her friends, it was just difficult seeing how well they got along when their lives were not in any danger.

“I also had the pleasure of meeting your… well, your so called father, Smolder.” Princess Sapphire added sounding rather disdainful.

The color had drained from my face. I found myself looking over Sapphire to see if there were any burns or injuries she might have gotten from my father. I approached her once again, picking up her hoof to look it over while inspecting her other arm to see if she was alright. Sapphire took a firm grasp of my hooves, smiling at me, trying to put my worries at ease.

“I’m alright, Smolder. Your father turned out to be much more a fiend than I had originally believed him to be.” Sapphire told me.

I couldn’t look at Sapphire, keeping my eyes down at her hooves, as the memory of my father’s parting words began flooding back. My grip tightened a bit, my face beginning to contort trying to hold back the pain I still felt over it.

“Smolder, are you alright?” Sapphire asked sounding concerned.

“I-I know how cruel he can be,” I began with a forced smile. “And I’m sorry if he said anything that horrid or vile to you. It’s… It’s my fault he’s like this.”

“What? How could you believe such of a horrible thing? What did he say to you?”

I choked a laugh, trying to disguise the emotions welling up inside. “He said enough.”

Sapphire stepped closer to me, placing her her horn against mine as I heard her whisper ‘let me in’. Magic from our horns swirled together, I felt my eyes closing, sudden flashes of the memories of my father racing through my mind. It passed almost like a waterfall, a cascade of these moments falling silently around me, but the pain was still there.

The magic soon faded, my eyes opening once again. Sapphire had tears running down her face and I was just now realizing that I had shared these memories with her.

“Don’t believe a word of it, Smolder. Not for a one second.” Sapphire whispered to me. “What resides in your father is nothing but rage now.”

“Because of me.”

“The moment Scorch tried to take over the mind of the Elder Dragon, he ceased being your father and became the Mad King. When that happened the mind of your father was destroyed and all that was left was the dragons rage. It’s anger with you stems from your father’s reason of standing up the Elder Dragon, but that is all it is. Just rage.”

“I think about what could have been, if I hadn’t been... the mistake to begin with.”

I looked away, feeling ashamed that such a thing bothered me, that my father’s words hurtful words still affected me in such a way. Feeling the touch of Sapphire’s icy hooves on my face, gently turning my head to look her face to face.

“I want to share something with you, Smolder.”

Sapphire’s horn once again touched my own. Our magic swirling together once more, feeling my eyes close as the world faded away.

So the Hom Dai turned out to be the jungle ponies, trying to scare away Ahuizotl and his hench ponies from reaching the Heart of the Jungle. As it turns out, that Heart was actually an Arcana named Tear that had escaped this place with the help of her friend Mira and Smolder’s mom.” Rainbow Dash’s voice echoed in.

My eyes shot open I found myself standing in darkness, watching Rainbow Dash float by with Applejack and a pony I was not familiar with wearing a rather adventurous looking hat.

The jungle ponies have agreed to help us open the portal when the time comes. I reckon Tier’s knowledge of the Void will help out convincing the other ponies at the Summit of helping Smolder.” Applejack added.

I watched as they faded into the darkness as Rarity and Pinkie Pie suddenly appeared walking the opposite way.

I dare say that your events ran parallel to our own. Upon our arrival in Trottingham, we were knees deep in a mystery that was just begging to be solved. Pinkie Pie jump at the opportunity to take up the role as detective as we uncovered a secret coup to overthrow the Royal Monarchy by Queen Chrysalis and her changelings.” Rarity’s voice echoed.

We had all sorts of help from some really generous ponies, even Trixie offered a hoof and ended up really saving the day. I think the most touching thing was when the Duke stood up to Queen Chrysalis and made this speech about how much he wanted to help Smolder.” Pinkie Pie continued.

Rarity and Pinkie Pie disappeared into the darkness just as Twilight, Fluttershy and Spike emerged before me.

You want to talk about mystery, then you should hear about how we ventured into a place called the White Walk where no pony who entered was ever seen again. Because there was this angry spirit known as the Ijiraq that lived there and scared the scales right off of us.” Spike’s voice drifted in.

Rupert the penguin and Benny the polar bear were very helpful in warning us that the Ijiraq would only let a pony go if they were honest with themselves. I was still rather worried about going in, but I knew that everypony else were trying their best to help Smolder and I knew I had to as well.” Fluttershy said softly.

What we didn’t know was that this angry spirit was actually a very old spirit that the ice ponies had revered a very long time ago. Having been twisted into a monster over the years by the ice ponies slowly losing touch with their spiritual side. Luckily, Princess Sapphire was able to communicate with it, reminding the spirit of what it used to be, and it let us all go free.” Twilight explained further.

Each of them faded into the darkness.

You’ve done all this for Smolder?”

This voice gripped my heart. I could see two fiery colts blazing out from the darkness before me. Wick and Pyre were walking towards me, I could see their faces so clearly, and it almost made me break down crying right then and there. The two of them were soon followed by everypony else behind them, my brothers leading them through the darkness.

“Of course! He’s our friend.” Spike’s voice echoed.

Even Princess Celestia and Princess Luna have been doing research on the Void in the attempt to help him. In her last letter, she informed me that she had discovered a way to render the Storm inert.

But why? You’ve put yourselves in such danger for him. What do you get in return?” Wick asked.

Friends don’t do things expecting to get something in return, we’re helping because we care about him.” Rainbow Dash informed him.

From what I remember, the two of you throwing yourselves into the Void to save Smolder really showed just how much you cared about him.” Rarity commented.

Wick snorted derivatively, but Pyre smiled amusingly.

He is our brother. Our king. When we see him again, we will swear our loyalty to him, and ask for his forgiveness.” Pyre states.

You guys may have made a couple of mistakes, but Smolder will surely understand your reasoning for what you did.” Twilight said.

Our mistake was allowing Smolder to believe that we cared so little about him. We want him to know that we…” Wick trailed off in embarrassment.

That we love him.” Pyre finished his brother’s thought.

There was a collective ‘aww’ from every pony. It only fueled Wick’s embarrassment further of the matter.

It didn’t need to be said, brother.” Wick mumbled.

On the contrary, brother dear, I believe he deserves to hear it from the both of us. At least once while we still have the chance.” Pyre told him.

Everypony was swept away like smoke in the wind. I found myself opening my eyes again, Sapphire standing before me with the most comforting of smiles.

“Your friends have carried your story to the far reaches of Equestria, Smolder, and in a hundred small ways you have touched the lives of so many ponies. Does one cruel ponies words outweigh the love your friends and family have for you?”

I found it hard to speak. My emotions were swelling for a whole different reason now, but found a way to get out the word ‘no’. I was smiling, quietly sobbing from having heard my brothers speak, having been able to see their faces again even if it was just a memory. The icy touch of Sapphire’s arms came around me again, embracing me tightly, trying to comfort me.

From deep within the tunnels the sound of the Storm echoed its thunderous groan, bringing Sapphire and I apart to take notice. I had heard it’s declaration, it’s promise, and hearing it now had my flames blazing in silent fury.

“Smolder, this Storm wants to kill you. I made promise to bring you home and I’m not going to break that promise.” Sapphire insistently.

“A pony shows their true face when they ask for help and we show ours in how we respond.” I said.

There was a growing confidence in my heart I had not felt since the days I challenged my father and the Orc. I smiled at Sapphire warmly.

“I have no right to ask this of you, Sapphire.” I began, holding my hoof out to her. “Will you have my back against this enemy, one last time?”

Sapphire took my hoof slowly, her grip tightening as her own mane began to storm with anticipation.

“You don’t need to ask, Smolder.” Sapphire said.

PreviousChapters Next