• Published 17th Aug 2017
  • 865 Views, 72 Comments

The Phoenix King - Turtlehaus



Smolder has journeyed into the Void to help the mysterious Mira take back the Kingdom of Naught from the Dark King Null. Twilight and friends are racing to find clues to the Void, while an ancient evil sets its sights on Equestria.

  • ...
1
 72
 865

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 72: Last Goodbye

Blades of grass had begun to spring from the ground, giving the Ashen Fields the faintest color of green it had seen in decades. A month had come and gone like faintest summer breeze. The events within the Kingdom of Naught had all but become a memory to most. While to others it had become the newest best selling novel by A.K. Yearling titled: Daring Do and the Phoenix King.

Wingston limped his way to the edge of the Dark Marsh, roughly the same spot where he was found so many years ago. Reaching the tree line Wingston lowered himself to the ground before resting up against a tree and letting his staff lean against his shoulder.

Taking a few deep breaths, surprised at how difficult the trip to this spot had become, Wingston closed his eyes for a moment letting the stillness of the world wash over him.

Distant voices had easily reached Wingston’s ears, rousing him from his rest and seeing Smolder and friends off in the distance speaking rather loudly with one another.

“An academy for magic will not allow ‘Shadow Magic’ or ‘Black Magic’ of any kind. It’s simply out of the question.” Princess Sapphire stated. “Your role as apprenticeship to Royal Adviser does not grant you the power to make such decisions.”

Wingston could make out Princess Sapphire, Mira, Smolder, and the Twins, as they were inspecting the potential sight of a magical academy for the Ashen Fields.

“Fine. Be a frigid little snow pony and go make your own academy in the frozen ice cube up north. This is flame pony territory and it’s their academy. You don’t get to make the rules either, hussy.” Mira mocked her.

“You want to have a go, Imp?”

“I’d hate to embarrass you in front of all these ponies when I’m kicking your big flank up and down the block!”

Wingston could already see Smolder trying to defuse the situation between the two of them. A smile creeped across Wingston’s face knowing that Smolder was going to have his hooves full with just the two of them.

Everything is back to normal.” Wingston thought to himself.

In no small part thanks to you.”

These words were spoken by a voice Wingston had not heard in many years. Looking over his shoulder, Wingston’s eyes widened in disbelief as he saw Lady Sunbeam resting beside him watching the commotion unfold as well.

“My… my Lady…” Wingston whispered.

Lady Sunbeam turned her head, beaming at Wingston.

Hello, my old friend.”

”How... is this possible?” Wingston asked in a whisper.

“I think you know.”

Wingston found himself looking back towards Smolder and the others, their voices still carrying, antics still ongoing, but it felt so very far away now.

“There is still so much to do, my Lady. Surely you can see that.”

“My dear Wingston, you have done more than what has ever been asked of you. You have kept your promises and ensured the future of every flame pony. And…”

Wingston looked back to Glow, she bore a smile that was filled with gratitude and love.

“And you saved my children. I cannot ask anymore of you.”

Lady Glow lifted her hoof and placed it over Wingston’s wing. There was a warmth to it, a weight that made Wingston know that this was real.

“But… Smolder…”

“Everything ends, Wingston. You have taught Smolder a great many things, and now it is time that he learns the most important lesson of all. To let go.”

Looking back towards Smolder and the others, Wingston felt a swell of emotions run through him, but the last one that hit the hardest was pride.

“I hope he knows how proud I am to have been his mentor.”

“You were his father, Wingston.”

The blue of the sky bled to earth below, the subtle green of the grass began to saturate to a bright white. Wingston could still see the smiling face of his friend, his king, of his son before closing his eyes and smiling.

“I’m ready.”

Opening his eyes Wingston found himself standing on pure starlight. Seeing the energy of the cosmos rolling over head. Lady Glow stood beside him, her wing reaching down to him to have him take it. Wingston reached for her wing and stopped short. His torn wing was whole once more, the aches and pains of standing upon his claws had vanished, and found himself adorned in a cloak of silver light.

“Shall we?” Glow offered.

“Where are we going?” Wingston asked.

“To meet an old friend of ours, he wanted to be the one to guide you here, but I felt he just wanted your advice on how to apologize for being such a insufferable, moronic, egotistical jerk.” Glow replied in sort of dead panned tone.

Wingston laughed to himself knowing exactly who she spoke of.

“Has Lord Scorch tried speaking with you, my Lady?” Wingston asked.

“Oh he’s tried. I’m just not speaking to him.” Glow replied.

“Perhaps I can offer him some advice?” Wingston suggested.

“I expect one hay of an apology from him, Wingston, and I don’t want to hear ‘the dragon made me do it’ nonsense.”

Wingston had to laugh again. Walking alongside Lady Glow, approaching an event horizon where all manner of energy and light convened.

“His first step is to talk things over and if that doesn’t work he will just have to try again. Hopefully you’ll come to forgive him in time.” Wingston said.

Together Lady Glow and Wingston disappeared into the light.


I was attempting to hold back Mira, who was desperately trying to claw off Sapphire’s face, while Sapphire kept making offhand remarks about Mira’s temper. Wick and Pyre were merely placing bets on who would actually win the fight and if I would end up being the one who got the worst of it.

“We haven’t even started building the school yet, so can’t you two just hold off on trying to kill each other until we actually have a curriculum in place?” I asked.

“Fine!” Sapphire and Mira shouted together.

I heaved a sigh watching Mira and Sapphire glare at one another before going their separate ways. I had a feeling that this was going to be a constant thing between them.

Shadows darted across the ground around us. The Royal Air Force ponies were having their daily set of drills high over head. It was enough to distract me from the academy drama to notice how lively the Fields has become.

I looked out towards the Narrows and the First District seeing flame and ice pony alike socializing with one another. What stood out more than anything were the smiles from every flame pony, the warmth that could be felt from everypony, and it felt as though we had finally let ourselves move on from the past. That we had at last found peace in ourselves again.

Distressed shouting had gotten my attention. Ray Horizon and several soldier ponies were near the edge of the Dark Marsh crowding near a tree. The Twins were already rushing over to see what the problem was while Mira and Princess Sapphire flew off to figure out what was going on.

The soldier ponies had taken take off towards the castle before noticing the Twins and stopped short to meet with them. I could see Wingston nestled at the base of a tree with Ray’s hoof gently touching his shoulder. Wingston’s staff slipped from his shoulder and dropped against the grass. Many ponies were quickly rushing back to me, hurrying back to find a way to tell me what I already knew. Wingston was gone.

The funeral had been attended by hundreds upon hundreds of dignitaries and noble ponies. All of which had taken council with Wingston, had conversation or debates with. Many had mutual respect for the crippled bat that had come from so little and had given so much. None knew this better than the flame ponies of the Ashen Fields.

A statue had been commissioned to honor Wingston, one that was near his actual size, but placed on a pedestal so that he would be at eye level with any pony that saw it. It was carved out of pure obsidian, a chunk that had been from one of the destroyed walls of Castle Char, forever immortalizing him with the very kingdom he had served.

A flame pony funeral is not marked by words or speeches, but by how quiet the kingdom becomes at their passing. There has only ever been a few passings that have silenced the whole of the kingdom, but those were of Kings and Queens, but Wingston seemed to have silenced nearly all of Equestria.

When a flame pony passes on, all that is left is ashes, and those ashes are scattered however the family sees fit. For Wingston, his being still remained, a small pyre built to allow him the same rites of flame pony passage into the next life where one's energy is forever joined with that of the universe.

Even in this silence, words needed to be spoken, feelings needed to be shared, and dozens upon dozens of ponies wished to share their stories of Wingston. Even Spike had the courage to speak of his memories of Wingston and it brought many to tears.

Wingston’s ashes were gathered by the only family he had ever known, Smolder and the Twins walking together to the ruins of the volcano to scatter his ashes with the rest of their ancestors.

Upon their return the Hadron Bell tolled several times, a honor reserved for the passing of royalty, and it rang deep for a Wingston. All that remained was the final embers of the pyre that once held Wingston. These embers were brought to the obsidian statue where an eternal flame was to be erected at the base of the statue to signify the fire that had burned in Wingston’s heart. The fire of a true flame pony.

The statue had been placed at the edge of the Dark Marsh, the spot where Wingston had first appeared to them, and the place where he had left them. It was far from the Kingdom, but overlooked it in its entirety. The grieving sadness everypony felt was only compounded with the Smolder standing before this statue of Wingston, having placed the embers in the basin hours ago, but refused to move from it.

A break of thunder rolled across the sky, drawing many to look up. Rain clouds were drifting in overhead. A raindrop drop plucked against the ground, followed by another, and several others raced after. Hundreds of Unicorn ponies created large magical domes to shield flame pony and friends alike from the rain. Princess Celestia had shielded the Twins from the rain with her own magic while looking towards Princess Luna who had shielded Flare and Ray.

“I thought Cloudsdale said it was going to have clear skies today?” Princess Celestia questioned quietly.

“They did, but I don’t think it is their doing.” Princess Luna whispered.

Rain was beginning to fall steadily now. Everypony could see that Smolder had not shielded himself from the rain. Watching the raindrops sizzle off his fire, droplets running off his arms before evaporating away. Princess Sapphire moved towards Smolde but felt her father place a firm hoof on her shoulder.

“Let him be, Sapphire.” Lord Tundra whispered.

“But the rain-“ Sapphire began.

“Is the last thing he’s feeling right now.”

Lady Frost put her arms around Sapphire, hugging her tightly as to ensure her that her father was right. Sapphire leaned against her mother, feeling tears beginning to well on their own as she watched Smolder wince every now and again knowing it wasn’t from the rain.

I felt the raindrops run across my face, trickling down my sides of my cheeks as I cried and cried. Knowing that this was as close as I’d ever come to feeling what it was to shed a tear from the pain I was feeling, for the emptiness that I felt inside, and that it was for losing someone close to me again.

“... goodbye… Dad…”

PreviousChapters Next