• Published 17th Aug 2017
  • 865 Views, 72 Comments

The Phoenix King - Turtlehaus



Smolder has journeyed into the Void to help the mysterious Mira take back the Kingdom of Naught from the Dark King Null. Twilight and friends are racing to find clues to the Void, while an ancient evil sets its sights on Equestria.

  • ...
1
 72
 865

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 63: The Night Is Darkest

Twilight, Fluttershy, and Spike raced across the fields of Ouroboros.Time was not on any pony’s side, if Sapphire’s plan was to work, then they would need to complete their task before Rarity and Pinkie Pie. This meant that they needed to enter the Valley of Shadows once more, but this time they knew where to go.

“If Rarity and Pinkie Pie are able to convince the Void Walkers to help us, then it will be up to us to make sure the trap is set. Fluttershy is our only chance of getting our part of the plan to work, but I have the utmost confidence that she will be able to get us the help we need.”

“Do you think the wolf is going to help us, Fluttershy?” Spike asked.

Spike clung to Twilight’s neck, having to sprint across the fields was no easy task, and the ride was less than easy on the tail.

“It’s my job to convince her of it.” Fluttershy replied.

For the first step in Sapphire’s plan, Fluttershy would need to enlist the help of the giant wolf that had crossed their path earlier. It would provide Fluttershy and Twilight the speed needed to rangle the giant beetles they had encountered when they first entered the Void. Sapphire’s plan had too many variables that could go wrong, which is why each pony needed to succeed or the others would be left out to pasture.

“Ms. Fluttershy, this is where I leave this in your capable hooves. Twilight and Spike, please see to it that both Fluttershy and the wolf are protected. If everything goes according to plan, we will meet up with each other at the designated rendezvous.”

“We’ve all come too far to just give up now.” Twilight reassured them.

“Right.” Fluttershy replied.

Reaching the base of the mountain, Fluttershy had slowed her sprint nearing the mouth of the wolf’s den. The most difficult part for Fluttershy would be asking this mother to leave her pups for a time, especially when all these loud noises and quakes had most likely scared her children.

“Twilight, I’m going to need you and Spike to stay right behind me. If you stay out here she’ll be less trusting of you, but if you’re with me she’ll feel less threatened by strangers waiting outside.” Fluttershy instructed.

“But we already met. Doesn’t she remember us?” Spike asked.

“Mom’s remember anypony that hurts their kids.” Fluttershy replied.

“But we helped save her pup.” Twilight argued.

“Mom’s also remember those that are nice to their children. Just don’t make any sudden moves, she could be agitated and not care if friend or foe shows up.”

Together the three of them entered the cave, staying close together and noticing that the pups were nowhere to be seen. Further into the cave, a familiar sight of the giant wolf came into view with all her pups huddled close around her. Instinctively, the mother wolf snarled at their approach, frightening her pups at the potential threat coming their way.

Several pups sniffed the air, yelping at one another, trying to warn each other of danger, but the scent they picked up was one that excited them. The pups scampered away from their mother to meet with Fluttershy again, leaping about, pawing at her and yapping loudly at her. Fluttershy was nothing but smiles at the sight of them, offering several head pats for all the pups she could reach while Twilight and Spike were nervous to offer any.

The wolf mother hand gotten to her paws, towering over them as she approached to sniff them out herself. A few quick successions of sniffs had been enough for the wolf mother to recognize their scent and found them to be without threat.

“Excuse me, Misses Wolf Mom, I really hate to bother you, seeing as there are a lot of scary things going on out there, but we desperately could use your help in saving one of our friends.” Fluttershy spoke.

A sudden bark from the wolf mother had all her pups scampering away, having made both Twilight and Spike jump from fright, but Fluttershy stood unfazed by it.

“Yes, the bad man named Null is doing all this. We’re trying to stop him from hurting anypony else, but we need your help to do it.”

Another loud bark escaped the wolf mother’s jaws. Whining immediately afterwards.

“I know you’re afraid to leave your puppies. I feel just awful having to ask this of you, but our friend doesn’t have a mother or a father that can help him now. All we are asking is that you help us for just a little while.”

The wolf mother continued to whine. A familiar pup that they had saved from the creature Aswang yelped loudly at its mother, jumping at her leg and gnawing at her heel. He jumped in circles, barking loudly, nipping at her as if trying to get her to move.

Several barks from the wolf mother had all the pups retreating further into the cave with the young wolf pup standing out in front of his brothers and sisters.

“Thank you, Amarok.” Fluttershy said graciously. “And thank you for helping us, Misses Wolf Mom.”

“What did he say, Fluttershy?” Twilight asked.

“Amarok said he would watch his sibilings until she returned. That he would protect them just like his Dad had done.”

“That’s pretty brave of him.” Spike remarked.

The wolf mother walked up alongside the ponies, lowering herself to allow them to climb atop her back. Fluttershy took hold of Twilight’s hooves and helped lift her atop the massive wolf. Getting back onto her paws, the wolf mother headed to the exit of the cave, looking back at her pups who barked back at her. Whining once again, the wolf mother dragged herself from the cave entrance and bolted into the Valley of Shadows.

“Just divert the beetles towards the dragon! That is all we ask!” Fluttershy shouted over the whipping wind.

The speed of the wolf mother was unlike anything any pony had experienced. It ran near silently across the valley, having covered the distance it took to reach the cave from the fields in under a minute.

“Fluttershy?” Spike called out.

“Yes?”

“What happened to the Daddy wolf?”

Fluttershy’s face sadden a bit. “It distracted the Storm to let his family get away.”

Twilight and Spike could draw their own conclusions to what that meant for the daddy wolf. It seems that even the Storm had taken something from everything in this realm, but assuredly that they would a stop it once and for all.


Pinkie Pie, Applejack, and Rarity entered the Forgotten City in record time. Adrenaline was kicking in hard with the massive dragon at their backs, but now it was a matter of finding the Void Walkers as fast as they could.

“We found them over this way!” Applejack called out to them.

Rarity and Pinkie Pie had not gotten the chance to actually see the scope in size of the city. Having been brought underground almost immediately upon entering, but every ruined building seemed to mirror the last making it easy to get lost right away. Luckily, with Applejack’s good sense of direction and the hoof prints they had left behind still fresh, they were able to retrace their steps back to where the Void Walkers had appeared. Even so, the Void Walkers had taken off out of fear of Mira and it was safe to say that they would not be wandering about outside while the battle was taking place.

“The Void Walkers had gone off in this direction. Other than that I don’t rightly know where they went.” Applejack stated.

“Never fear, Applejack. Pinkie and I have been briefly introduced to the how Void Walkers hide in this… uh… dreadful city.” Rarity reassured her.

Pinkie Pie waved her hooves around her face making spooky noises. “Secret doors.”

“Secret doors?” Applejack asked.

Rarity was already on the move, following the crowd of Void Walker foot prints down the dark alley. The light from her horn traced along the walls, before revealing a hole in the wall where the footsteps had funneled into. Motioning towards Applejack and Pinkie Pie as this being the way, Rarity slipped in examining the room.

Much like before the building seemed to be a sort of shop with many shelves, although much of what was being stored had been smashed or missing. The footprints had scattered everywhere, obviously from being a high traffic area for the Void Walkers to come and go as the pleased.

“There should be some sort of room leading down further down or perhaps another hole we can climb into.” Rarity suggested.

“More tunnels, huh?” Applejack asked.

“The Void Walkers have an area underground where they wait in a sort of meditation, except that this one is far more disconcerting.” Rarity explained.

“What do you mean by that?”

PInkie Pie had been tapping against a wall for sometime. Her ear pressed flat against it. A hollow knocking informed her of a difference and pushed hard against it. The wall swung inwards, revealing a hidden path that led back down into the tunnels of the world.

“The Void Walkers had resigned themselves to being… devoured by the Storm. Their meditation was a way for them to become… content with it.” Pinkie Pie stated.

“I don’t like that train of thinking one bit.” Applejack retorted.
Rarity, Applejack, and Pinkie Pie ventured down into the tunnel. The light from Rarity’s horn had shown the worn path in the ground that had been used to such an extent that it had created a sloping ditch.

“Believe us when we say that we were none too happy to hear that either. Then again, having survived this long and seeing everypony you care about be taken by that Storm… I’m sure it changes you on a level I never wish to experience.” Rarity remarked.

Applejack had heard something similar from Mira, of how having spent such a long time having to deal with the loss of her friends and the torment of the Storm had changed her into a monster. It seemed that the Void Walkers had chosen a very different way to deal with their pain then Mira did.

“Mira had said something akin to what these Void Walkers are feeling. Although, it doesn’t seem like they are on good terms with each other. I’m guessing that everyone deals with their pain in a different way.”

From the mouth of the tunnel, Rarity’s light washed out over a room filled with Void Walkers huddled in small groups and sitting upon the floor. Immediately drawn to the light, the Void Walkers got to their feet and began backing away from the group of ponies rather quickly.

“We don’t mean you any harm.” Applejack spoke up. “We’re just here to talk and ask for yer help in something.”

“In fact, we’re in desperate need of your help!” Pinkie Pie jumped in.

Many Void Walkers refused to answer, some turned away looking to others for what was to be done, but eventually one stepped forward to speak. To Rarity and Pinkie Pie, it was an unfamiliar Void Walker, his cloak being their only sign of difference between them all, but to the others he was known as Asher.

What would you ask of us?” Asher questioned.

“Sorry, we were expecting Malachi, is he with you?” Rarity asked.

The Void Walkers looked to one another. Their glowing eyes disappearing beneath their hoods, as if closing their eyes to the name. From his cloak, the Void Walker revealed a familiar cloak now torn and shredded to them. Pinkie Pie’s and Rarity’s heart sank in an instant, having realized that Malachi was gone.

“How-How did this happen?” Rarity asked.

We were summoned by the Storm, to sustain it with our own light. Malachi…”
Reality had set in rather hard for both Rarity and Pinkie Pie. Brief as it was, to have met a friend and lost him so quickly, even after being told that his time was short made the situation these Void Walkers had to endure the more harrowing.

“Was he the one who told the Storm where to find us?” Applejack questioned.

“Malachi would never had done something so dreadful!” Rarity snapped.

It took a second for Rarity to realize that her tone was out of line, but the sadness that consumed her was already very telling from how distress her face was now.

“I told the Storm.” Asher said.

Loosely holding the cloak in his hands, Asher seemed haunted by it. The confession by Asher seemed to be felt by all the Void Walkers in the room. Guilt had swept of the rest, knowing their own part in their betrayal.

“Why?” Pinkie Pie asked.

“He was my friend.” Asher whispered. “I didn’t want to die. None of us do. Malachi was to die and I… I didn’t want to lose my friend. So I betrayed him, hoping to spare his life… all our lives. He admonished us for our fear, for my cowardice, and spoke out against the Storm.”

Asher spoke with such regret. Without even seeing his face, everypony knew that he was racked with pain.

Now my friend is dead. Yet, I still live. A coward. I had become the very thing we accused the Arcana of being. A monster.” Asher spoke bitterly. “She was right, we deserve everything that has happened to us. Now I will live without my friend knowing that I had betrayed him.

A long silence fell between them. Any added words from Pinkie Pie or Rarity would have rang hollow to what Asher was already feeling. Choice words were already fighting their way through Rarity’s clenched jaw, but her own friends had dire need of them.

“If… Malachi was here, what would he say to helping us?” Rarity asked.

Asher tucked the remains of Malachi’s cloak back into his own. Already knowing what these ponies had come to ask.

There is nothing that can be done against the Storm.” Asher claimed.

“You know, that there Arcana has probably been getting the short end of the stick for a lot of what’s been going on around here. I ain’t saying she isn’t guilty of everything, but she’s still out there fighting that Storm. Even after all the mean things you’ve said about her, all the horrible things that have happened to her, she hasn’t given up hope.” Applejack said.

Asher and the other Void Walkers did not seem all that moved. Their hatred for the Arcana blinded much of her own suffering from them. Even so, the idea that the Arcana had chosen to change, if not by hurting them, but by standing up to the Storm much like Malachi did resonated deep within them.

“Nothing will change what you did and didn’t do, but you can change what you’re going to do.” Pinkie Pie added.

“Our friends are fighting to stop this Storm, whether you believe it can or not, you owe it to yourselves to at least try. Because Malachi tried to do what was right, he stood up for what was right, and he would be proud to know that his friends tried to as well.” Rarity said.

Asher could still hear the words of his friend, crying out to unite them against the Storm, to not give into despair. Here in the dark they had found comfort or at least that is what they believed it to be. Teetering on the edge of their own despair, attempting to find strength in each other to keep from giving up entirely. They had traded all of that away at the first opportunity the Storm had given them and Malachi had to pay that price.

What… would you have us do?” Asher asked.


Deep under the fields of Ouroboros, Asher and the Void Walkers hurried through the tunnels in search of the creature Kana. The slime of the giant squid had many medicinal properties to it, some that even Mira had no known about, but the Void Walkers had many years to study its uses. Tracking the creature, studying its habits, and knowing of where it dwells.

The Void Walkers must summon the giant squid creature to help us. Much like the Great Dragon Char’s greed for gold, we shall draw this creature out with light it lusts for. Fluttershy and Twilight succeed in their mission, we will handle the rest, but you must get that creature to the surface.”

Armed with an assortment of Pinkie Pie’s firework sparklers, the Void Walkers traveled further into the darkness to find this creature. The Void Walkers had never allowed themselves to be seen by Kana, let alone willingly approach it, and this put them all at great danger to being devoured or even crushed by this massive creature.

Reaching a massive tunnel, carved by none other than Kana itself, Asher turned to his brethren to go over the plan once again.

I will lead the creature to the junction down this path, then Valdir will lead it to the next, and Morgoth will take over from there. Remember to ignite the stick just as the previous leaders goes out, Kana will follow the light.”

The Void Walkers were all in understanding of the plan. A long pause followed them, as if reconciling themselves to go through with this plan, but Asher had lit his sparkler showing them his own resolve.

For those we’ve failed and betrayed. Let this be our penance.

Asher raced away from the others, sparkler growing more distant in the darkness. The other Void Walkers hurried up the path in the opposite direction, racing towards their own junctions to await the creature.

The sparkler flashed brightly in the darkness, highlighting the details within Asher’s cloak, and making him the only visible thing within the cave. Stepping past many boulders and pummeled rock, the gleam from the goo of Kana’s body shined against the light of the sparkler.

Malachi…” Asher whispered.

Waving his arm to and fro, casting the light of the sparkler across the length of tentacle before him, the creature Kana began to stir. It’s bulbous head rolling over, a massive eye suddenly peeling open and staring at the light within Asher’s hand.

I had chosen you over these ponies. You believed that they would bring us hope, that these lords of light would bring an end to our suffering, and free us from the Storm.”

Back peddling, Asher continued to wave the sparkler over his head, watching the creature Kana unravel itself beneath the rock and stone it was buried under. Tentacles were suddenly slamming down towards Asher, shaking the ground beneath him as he ran back towards the tunnel. The creature Kana was now dragging itself after Asher, pulling itself through the tunnel as its tentacles reached out for him.

We’ve chosen to stand, as you did, against the Storm.”

The sparkler within Asher’s hand was reaching its end, not close enough to the junction in which Valdir to take over. Reaching into his cloak, Asher removed the rags of Malachi’s cloak, wrapping it around his hand and trying to ignite the cloth with the meager flame.

You had been our light in the darkness. Our hope. Lighting the way to our salvation even now.”

A small flame suddenly appeared upon the cloak. Asher covered the flame with his hand, running hard trying to keep it burning long enough to spread. Kana’s tentacles slamming down behind him, trying to reach this new roaring flame that had suddenly grown from Asher.

Valdir stood at the junction of the tunnels that would lead them higher to the fields, already hearing the slopping sounds of the creature Kana growing near. From the darkness a sudden light appeared brighter than what had been intended, a sudden ball of fire that engulfed the hand of Asher. Holding high over his head, leading the creature Kana behind him.

Lighting his sparkler with a snap of his fingers, Valdir held up his arm and began to wave it towards the creature. Asher’s hand was blistering from the flames, but the fires were already dying away. Having lasted long enough to reach Valdir. Tucking the flames beneath his arm, Asher ran towards the opposite tunnel to get clear of Kana as Valdir waved the light hard to get the creatures attention. Having gained Kana’s attention, Valdir ran towards the tunnel where Morgoth would be waiting to take the next leg of this sprint.

Asher rested at the edge of a tunnel, watching his friend lead Kana up and out of the next tunnel, not knowing if he would ever see any of them again. In his blistered and burnt hand, Asher clutched the ashes of the Malachi’s cloak, bringing them close to his chest and nursing his arm.

In the name of all those who had died before us, we will continue to stand against this Storm.


Dozens of magical spikes had pinned the Storm Dragon to the ground, restricting its movements and keeping the Storm in place. It shuddered, twisting itself against the spikes, looking for any amount of room to move, but the Storm could not get its puppet free.

Daring Do was still carrying Rainbow Dash, her collision with Null had been comparable to running straight into a brick wall, but most of the force had been transferred into Null leaving Rainbow Dash relatively unharmed. With Princess Celestia standing at the ready, watching the Storm wrestle with the dragon to move, Mira sat beside her having spent all of her energy to move Celestia away from the path of the Storm.

“Were you able to stop it, Princess Celestia?” Daring Do asked.

“For the moment. What is left of the Elder Dragon is simply a hollowed out shell. Although, its scales repel magic, my spikes were directed at the missing scales throughout its body. Without the actual strength of an Elder Dragon behind it, I do not believe the Storm will have the ability to remove the spikes itself.” Princess Celestia informed them.

“It’s going to get free… it always does.” Mira breathed.

It was clear from the soft green colors of her arms that Mira was close to losing the last bit of strength she had left. No pony had faced the Storm before, not as Mira had, and could only take Mira’s word that this was far from over.

Rainbow Dash held her hoof to her head, coming around to her senses. “How’d I do?”

“Future Wonderbolt indeed, you were amazing, Rainbow Dash.” Princess Celestia praised her.

Mira grunted while tilting her hand side to side to give off the impression that it was only subpar. It was obvious that Mira wasn’t going to show any sort of vulnerability, her indifference was a way of letting her hide her feelings with subtle teasing. Even so, there was a noticeable relief that Mira wore knowing that every pony was safe for the moment.

“Are you going to be okay?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“I just need some light.” Mira huffed.

A sudden quake stemming from the dragon had everypony trying to keep their balance. The Storm was thrusting the neck of the dragon up through the spike, tearing scales that had been pinned down from inside with it. It moved so irregularly, being pulled in odd places to tear itself free from the spikes, and caring little of the areas that had become vulnerable.

“What’s the plan?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“The two of you will take Mira and assist Princess Sapphire in her plan in any way that you can. The Twins can share their fire with Mira and we’ll coordinate a plan of attack once the plan goes into action. I will remain here to assist Smolder in fighting this Storm.” Princess Celestia explained.

Another explosion was felt across the fields, Null having once more engaged Smolder, the two fighting off in the distance again. Mira looked on, watching her flame pony fight toe to hoof against her enemy, almost hearing his stupid voice echo in her mind of keeping his promise to her. She scowled angrily at herself, feeling her emotions beginning to swell again. Forcing herself to stand, taking hold of Princess Celestia’s leg to balance herself she pointed towards Smolder in earnest.

“Take me to Smolder.” Mira demanded.

“It’s too dangerous to bring you anywhere near the creature. The Twins will suffice for the moment to help you recover your strength.” Princess Celestia retorted.

“I can help him focus his magic. Give him the chance to destroy Null for good. They won’t be separated for long.” Mira explained.

With Smolder engaged with Null and the Storm occupied with the dragon, it did seem like a good chance to take advantage of the situation. Princess Celestia would provide the distraction necessary to the Storm to allow them the time needed to destroy Null, but it would prove risky if Mira were to be captured by the Storm.

Princess Celestia turned to Rainbow Dash and Daring Do. “Bring Mira as close as you can to Smolder without putting yourselves in danger.”

“Right.” Daring Do and Rainbow Dash had agreed together.

The head of the Storm Dragon reared up, having torn itself away from the magical spike that had nailed it down. The Storm lurched its head towards Princess Celestia and the others, pausing for a moment to glare at them. It was unsettling to see the vacant sockets of the dragon brimming with the Storm gaze hollowly upon them. The jaws of the Elder Dragon opened wide to speak.

“ARCANA.”

Its word cut into the very soul of Mira. As if an edge of a knife being gouged into wood. The Storm had actually spoke, through cracks of lightning and the roar of thunder it managed to discern a word to them, but only Mira seemed effected. Rainbow Dash and Daring Do could see the color within Mira’s eyes fade. Her body trembling as she fell back into the sand, covering her ears and rocking herself. Mira had been frightened and scared before, but this was the first time any had seen her terrified beyond reason.

Princess Celestia stepped forward, her horn pulsing a sudden wave of magic that shielded every pony in a dome of light.

“If you wish to speak to some pony, then speak to me!” Princess Celestia declared.

“YOU HAVE FAILED.”

The words uttered by the dragon were different from Null’s. It seemed ancient, cruel, and more hollow if at all possible for a creature that was merely a husk. What unnerved everypony was that the Storm sounded amused.

Daring Do and Rainbow Dash had placed themselves beside Mira to comfort her and shield her from the dragon’s line of sight. Mira instantly clung to Rainbow Dash, trembling from head to foot, sheer terror having overwhelmed her.

“What is it?” Rainbow Dash asked.

PreviousChapters Next