• Published 17th Aug 2017
  • 870 Views, 72 Comments

The Phoenix King - Turtlehaus



Smolder has journeyed into the Void to help the mysterious Mira take back the Kingdom of Naught from the Dark King Null. Twilight and friends are racing to find clues to the Void, while an ancient evil sets its sights on Equestria.

  • ...
1
 72
 870

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 69: The End of Naught

Princess Celestia and Princess Luna charged the fields of Ouroboros with Twilight and company in tow. Overhead the skies cracked with thunder and lightning from the Storm’s struggle to break free of the Obelisk’s dark magic. Retreating from the battlefield were a number of Fifth Northumberland Fusiliers, having been instructed to return to the portal lest they be cut off from Trottingham and take their chances reaching one of the other portals.

Lord Tundra and Lady Frost had taken to the air, high above the giant squid, magic brimming from their horns while conjuring a spell that took the two to preform. A mass of ice nearly the size of a small mountain was quickly forming within the air, an iceberg wide enough and thick enough to cork the hole the creature Kana had made. Together, Lord Tundra and Lady Frost whipped their heads around, releasing their magical hold upon the floating mass of ice watching it drop to the world below.

Kana gurgled and spat at the iceberg falling towards it, doing little to impede its drop. With an earth shattering slam the iceberg struck Kana down into the hole, severing tentacles here and there, cold winds and ice showered the surrounding ponies. The mass of ice held together in part, breaking in pieces from the impact, but forced itself down into the hole before acting like a cork and sealing Kana away. There were many cheers of from the soldier ponies below, having bested this giant creature, and turned their sights on the Echoes that were already losing ground to the other armies.

Lord Tundra and Lady Frost hovered high up over the fields, scanning the area for their Sapphire. Their eyes fell to the sight of Princess Celestia and Princess Luna leading a charge with the wielders of the Elements of Harmony just steps behind them. Looking off towards the direction in which they were heading, they could see a familiar blue light fighting near the edge of the world with a small fiery glow just beyond her. Without discussing their intentions, Lord Tundra and Lady Frost raced off towards the edge of the world to reclaim their lost daughter and help put an end to the darkness once and for all.


Null had seen the end of Kana, the countless legions of Echoes being decimated by flashes of fire, ice, and magic off in the distance. The Storm swirling high over the fields, roaring in its imprisonment, Null knew that it would not come to its aid this time. Yet, this little flame pony, this lord of light, who swore to save this world, that had fought him with all of his might had come to talk.

You have taken everything from me…

“Null, I-“

Do you know what it’s like to have everything taken from you?”

“I do. I really do. If you would only-”

I had begun to speak, but Null’s hand quickly raised to me, warning not to come closer. His back foot barely on the edge, seemingly ready to fall into the abyss to get away from me. Flecks of his husk like body were falling away, the light within his eyes were dimming with each breath. I took a breath of my own, hoping it was going to be the one I needed to save him.

“It’s almost unbearable, isn’t it? That feeling of being all alone. Wondering why we’re even around to begin with.”

Null’s posture faltered, eyes widening in part to my words. His thoughts drifted back to the time of his exile, lost within the shroud of the Valley of Shadows. Wandering aimlessly, alone and afraid, but most importantly angry.

What do you know it?” Null spat.

“I… I wasn’t…”

I found it hard to say, but I knew it to be the truth.

“I wasn’t planned. I was a mistake. It ruined… I ruined everything. Because of me, we lost my father, my mother, or kingdom… we lost who we were.”

The Arcana call you nothing, the Void Walkers believe you a mistake, an abomination not worthy of life, they blame you for the death of their beloved Azimuth.”

Nadir’s words had come echoing back into his mind, the first time he had come across this Storm within the Valley of Shadows.

Several yards back, Sapphire dispatched the last of the Echoes she had promised to deal with and was hurrying to meet up with Smolder again. Coming just over the ridge, she found both of them in some sort of stalemate with one another.

Null was perched upon the ledge with Smolder making no move to attack him. The groan of the Storm had Sapphire turning towards the portals. A bolt of dark energy sprang from the Trottingham Obelisks, having heard of Rarity’s and Pinkie Pie’s encounter with Queen Chrysalis Sapphire was beginning to fear the worst of what it would bring. For a large scale of commotion was taking place near the portal to Trottingham, it appeared to be wavering and the Storm roared in its anticipation of being set free. Fearing the reprisal of the Storm, Sapphire knew that their window to destroy Null was closing fast.

“Smolder! What are you waiting for? Finish him, now!” Princess Sapphire shouted.

Sapphire’s words caught Null by surprise. Causing him to lash out, fearing that my words were meant to distract him. From a swipe of his arm, several twisted husk like spikes flew from his fingertips towards me. Many missed wide, striking the ground behind me, a few grazed my shoulders and another found a glance blow to the side of my head.

I staggered back, feeling a sharp sting of pain, but I didn’t retaliate. Sapphire on the other hoof, began to charge, eyes burning blue at the sight of me being harmed.

The stinging pain only added to my conviction, bracing myself hard and trying to not let my anger boil over as I continued to speak with Null.

“Growing up, ponies used to avoid me, my brothers tormented me, and I hated them for it. I hated them. I wanted to hurt them. To make them feel the same pain I had felt. To make them suffer like I did.”

It was Sapphire’s turn to falter. Having taken several steps towards Smolder after Null’s attack to assist him, but found herself surprised by his words. His words were sincere, but full of bitterness and pain. Something Sapphire had only seen when Smolder had been pushed to his limits.

I can help you take your revenge on them, to give you a purpose that has been taken from you. To share with them the same misery as they have forced you to endure.”

Nadir’s words echoed again within Null. This lord of light’s feeling registered with Null, almost mystified by how similar their lives seemed to be.

Looking down at my hoof, I could see the scars webbing up my arm and how they seared from the fire that raged within me. From my anger these scars had grown, how it resembled my father’s shredded appearance of having himself in his fury.

“This anger… it eats away at us. It’s like a wound that just won’t heal. Feeling pieces of ourselves being torn away by those who make us feel less then we already do.”

Null’s eyes had fallen from Smolder, looking down at his own husk hand, seeing the remnants of his being slowly peeling away. Pieces of what was left of hand were tearing themselves slowly but surely away from him and disappearing in the darkness.

“But… there was somepony who came to save me from that dark and lonely place. Who offered me everything I had been denied, a chance to be something more, and didn’t make me feel quite so alone.”

“Together, we can combine our strength and destroy all those that have wronged you. I will give you power beyond imagination, and you will have a destiny only true King’s can dream of.”

Looking up from his husk hand, Null found Smolder standing only a few steps away. A cut on his brow where his spikes had caught him. The sheen of blood from the new wound began to trickle down his face, but he wore a smile for him all the same.

“I was at my lowest point, a place where even my light couldn’t reach me, but he found a way to guide me back. And I’ll never be able to thank him for saving me. So I made a promise, to do my best to save anypony else that may need it like I did.”

Mira, Tier and Chieftain Talon were racing to reach Smolder, having seen so many others having the same idea, but they were much closer than the rest. With the help of Tier, Mira had recovered much of her strength, but it was far from being at her best. The two rode atop of Chieftain Talon who charged ahead with his Jungle ponies just minutes behind, willing to face this dark lord face to face.

Reaching part of the ridge, Tier, Mira, and Chieftain Talon could see Smolder and Null standing face to face with one another. Princess Sapphire was not too far off, holding her position, and looking rather shocked by this outcome as well.

Ponies were scrambling to get through the portal to Trottingham. The Duke and Lord Nox had refused to leave, chasing after Twilight and everypony else to see this through to the end. The cracks within the Obelisk had spread too far, the power contained within had finally broken through and shattered the Obelisk to pieces. The portal to Trottingham wavered and rippled from the sudden loss of its conductors. Just like before the images of Trottingham from the portal had frozen, the portal itself burned away, having closed abruptly and breaking the relay of the three other portals.

Without one of the portals, the Storm had freed itself from its circular prison and immediately streaked across the skies in a violent roar of anger and fury as it headed for Null. Princess Celestia’s head shot up towards the skies, seeing the Storm race across the sky with such blinding speed that she feared they would not make it.

“I know what happened to you was unfair. You must have been frightened beyond all belief. You were alone with no pony to turn to and being told you were nothing. I know what that’s like, I really do.”

Memories of the Arcana and the Void Walkers shouting at him, calling him nothing, bestowing the name of Null to him to cement that fact. Null looked towards the skies, hearing the Storm’s call as it raced towards them. Just upon the ridge Null’s eyes fell to the familiar light of an Arcana. His eyes met with Mira’s, her face full of fear and surprise at his gaze, a part of him ached from seeing her and another felt a great sadness wash over.

“But there was somepony there for you, wasn’t there? A little Arcana that defended you, that stood up for you… a little Arcana that you couldn’t destroy. Because deep down you’re not the monster you believe yourself to be.”

Gripping his hands tightly into fists, Null could remember Mira’s smile, and her desperate plea to spare his life. It was the first smile he had ever seen. The first time anyone or anything had shown him such a kindness and the Arcana had asked nothing in return of him. The Storm had promised him revenge, power, and for a great many things in return. It had asked for a host, to feed, to become the vessel of its rage, and it always took even when there was nothing left to give.

Null looked down to me again. I could see within his eyes that his anger had wavered, replaced with guilt and fear. The Storm no longer influencing his thoughts, providing him with its rage, all that was left was a broken soul unsure of what to do next.

I took a deep breath, lifting my hoof to Null as I smiled wide for him. Smiling the way Wingston had when I had read my first book, the way Tea had done when I opened up to her, the way Twilight and her friends had when they promised to help save our kingdom, and the way my mother had smiled when she said goodbye.

Why… are you smiling?” Null asked.

“Sometimes pain can be on the inside, most ponies can’t see it unless they’ve been through it too. You’re in a lot of pain, but I made a promise to save all those who needed help like I once did. And they all saved me with a smile.”

Null’s arm flinched. The yellow of his eyes widening, raising his hand slowly to me.

“Smolder!”

Sapphire’s voice was drowned out by the sudden boom of the Storm crashing down around us. The Storm enveloped us, burning against my flames, but enduring it to keep us apart. The ancient voice within the Storm roared in protest, bolts of dark energy broke around us, and the hurricane like winds were pulling us apart.

Within the howling winds of the Storm, Nadir’s ancient voice was roaring at Null. It’s dark words trembled the world around us, its dark energy surrounding Null and flowing through his husk like body with great force. I could not make out what Nadir was saying to him. I was struggling to keep myself from being blown away by the intensity of the Storm’s raging winds, but I could see that Null had yet to move again. He was almost frozen in place by the idea of being given a second chance.

He was slowly being shrouded within the Storm, being consumed again, and being dragged off the edge of the abyss. I knew I wouldn’t be able to sustain my fire for much longer, it was enough to shield me from the onslaught of the Storm, but if I raised it any further I could risk harming Null. Reaching out my arm as far as I could I fought against the fury of the Storm trying to reach him.

Null lifted his hand to me. I could see the faint glow of his yellow eyes staring back at me almost daring himself to take hold. He was hesitating to grab my hoof. Stretching just a bit further, I was nearly at his fingertips, still fighting against the Storm that tried to drive me back. Bolts of dark energy struck me, causing me to waver, trying to get me to back down, but I strained to keep my hoof out to him. From the strain of flaring my fire, the intensity in which I had braced myself against the Storm, I was able to muster a word to him.

“Please...”

Null’s yellow eyes widened. I felt Null’s palm slide across my hoof, taking a firm hold of it. The Storm shrieked in agony. Nadir’s ancient voice roaring in pain. Null’s hand had caught fire from my flames, quickly climbing up his arm and flaring across his body, causing the Storm to spew from him like a faucet.

The Storm’s high pitched screech had reached it denouement before being forcefully expelled from Null in a violent explosion. Null collided with me from the force, his body still ablaze from my fire, but I shielded him from the Storm as best I could. All the Echoes across the fields shriveled on the spot, twisting towards the sky before falling back into the heaps of sand that they spawned from.

The Storm swirled back over the edge of the abyss, shrieking and imploding, trying to reach for us but its ferocity was fading away. Like rain the Storm fell apart, falling down into the darkness with the last arcs of dark energy shooting up over the ridge, it echoing groan of pain reaching across the lands before being silenced.

Lifting my head I peered over the ledge, seeing naught but darkness. There was no rumble, no thunder, no energy of evil to be felt anymore. I was breathing sharply, having felt much of fire being pulled from me and into Null.

Looking back towards Null, I watched as that same fire consume him, slowly being absorbed into his being. The flames eventually died away, revealing what the Storm had truly taken from Null. Much like the Eternal Master Azimuth, Null’s body had become smooth, flawless, although it appeared translucent with a whole other universe swirling within him. His tattered robes still gleamed like silver glass while the crude metal helm was nearly smashed to bits.

I reached for Null’s helm, pulling what was left from his face, seeing something so very surprising beneath. He had blue stardust like hair, his face was young, taught, yet looked a bit mischievous like that of the Arcana, but was as tall as the Void Wallers. He appeared to be a mix of both species, although his light was that of an Eternal Master and a little flame pony fire now. Perhaps it was the intention of Nadir to combine the three beings within the realm into one creature he could control, but when Nadir was struck down his creation had been left without purpose and it seemed like no pony was willing to accept him at the time.

Null lay unconscious upon the ground, looking almost peaceful as I sat beside him tossing the remains of the helm away. The world had grown quiet, the fighting had stopped, there was an eerie calmness that settled over the fields that had not been felt in countless years. I smiled wide, feeling a swell of pride in myself, hearing Wingston’s words in the forefront of my thoughts.

The power to reach a pony.

“Smolder!”

I looked up only to see the wisps of her cloudy mane trail past me, feeling the sudden force of Sapphire’s hug impact me with no reserve. Her arms held me tightly, she wasn’t muttering how angry she was with me or how upset she may have been, but she held me as if I had needed this hug all my life. In truth, I felt like I did.

I hugged her back. Knowing that I kept putting her through so much, denying her the chance to simply take me home, and keep her own promise to me and the others. I would have never have gotten this far if not for her and everypony else coming to help me save this place.

Hoof steps were heard walking across the sand, Sapphire and I both looked round to see a rather tall and hardened pony carrying both Mira and another Arcana I had yet to see before.

“Greetings, Fire King, it is a pleasure to finally meet you. I am Chieftain Talon of the Jungle Ponies.” Talon introduced himself. “We’ve come to save you.”

Sapphire and I got to our hooves, quickly bowing our heads to this Chieftain who graciously bowed his head back to us. Lifting my head back up I saw Mira floating before me, looking at me as if she was seeing me for the very first time. Almost mystified by what had occured.

“Hey, Mi-”

I felt Mira’s hands take hold of the sides of my face and I was sure that I was going to get one hell of a slap or something much worse. Except, Mira had leaned her head in, feeling her gently kiss the top of my head just beneath my horn before resting her own head against mine.

Thank you… Smolder.” Mira whispered to me.

I found myself flushing. Having been kissed three times in one day was rather new to me, but I smiled wide knowing that I had kept my promise to Mira.

Tier had floated down to Null, gently placing her hand upon his head, a sudden swell of light shot up her arm and flared her tattoos with a silver light. Mira turned to see that Tier was smiling and weeping quietly, but looking very happy all the same.

“He’s… glad. He’s glad it’s over.” Tier mumbled.

Mira floated down to Tier to console her while I looked towards Sapphire expecting her to be just as happy to hear the news. Surprisingly, Sapphire seemed to be a in bit of a huff looking rather cross with me. I seemed at a loss for what she was mad about this time, but quickly realized it might have been the affection Mira had shown me.

Chieftain Talon looked at the two of us, sensing the sudden tension. “I had no idea that the two of you were each others special some pony.”

“Well- I- we- sort of- don’t…”

“Hardly.” Sapphire said coldly.

With a flick of her mane Sapphire walked off in a huff, looking rather annoyed with me. I swallowed hard wondering how I was going to make this better as Chieftain Talon gave off a low but long whistle at my predicament.

“You done bucked up, Fire King.”

I narrowed my eyes at him, not believing for a second that this was in anyway my fault, but I knew that it wouldn’t matter. Noticing that Sapphire had stopped short, my attention was drawn back towards the ridge where all manner of pony were standing there looking down at us. Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, Princess Cadance, Shining Armor, Lord Tundra, Lady Frost, Twilight, Pinkie Pie, Spike, Rarity, Applejack, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, Daring Do, Wick and Pyre, Flare, Ray, Cosmic, Peanut, Nightshade, Goldie, Gleam, and dozens of soldier ponies from several kingdoms stood at the ridge beaming at me.

“Hey.” I said to them all.

The horn of the Fifth Northumberland Fusiliers cut through the air, almost immediately after a sudden swell of cheers erupted from every pony that shook the air. I couldn’t help but smile at how many ponies had come to help us.

Princess Celestia was the first to float down to me, she bowed her head to Chieftain Talon who in turn bowed to her as well. Talon stepped aside as Princess Celestia stood before me, looking down at me like she had done when we had first met back in Ponyville, but this time she had a smile upon her face.

“You… have no idea how much trouble you’re in.” Princess Celestia said.

I swallowed hard, trying my best not to smile in front of her, but I was much too happy to see her and everypony else. A sudden flash of her magic had made a familiar cloak appear from out of thin air. It fell over me like a blanket, her magic fixing it to my head as I found myself wearing my cloak that I had worn for my coronation. I found it rather odd for her to have brought it all the way here but the sudden hug I got from Princess Celestia had cleared up my confusion. She held me tight, much like my mother had done, I felt embarrassed to be held like this in front of everypony, but I could not deny how amazing it felt.

“I’d like to get in on that.” Princess Cadance remarked.

“Get in line.” Spike said racing passed her.

Suddenly my friends had all seemed to want a turn at hugging me. Princess Celestia stepped aside as I started to back peddle away trying to think of something to say that would convince them to take it easy on me. I couldn’t think of anything to say as Spike jumped at my leg, Cosmic took my other arm, Candance my shoulder, and a flurry of other ponies piling on to show how much they had missed me.

Princess Celestia stepped back watching the huddle ponies attempt to dogpile Smolder. Over her shoulder she could see Lord Tundra and Lady Frost fussing over Sapphire, who didn’t seem to mind in the slightest, having been through so much it felt good to have her family to by her side once again. Summer had flung her arms around Sapphire, nearly toppling her over, demanding that she be no more than three feet from her at any given time lest she disappear again. This had Princess Celestia looking towards the Twins who had remained near the ridge watching their little brother be swarmed by his friends. With a flap of her wings, Princess Celestia floated up over the ridge and landed near them looking at them sympathetically.

“You don’t want to join in?” Princess Celestia asked.

“Every pony has sacrificed a lot to help save our brother, we can wait a bit longer to say the things we would like to tell him.” Pyre replied.

“Also it’s not really a good idea for flame ponies to be joining in on a dogpile.” Wick added.

Princess Celestia smirked. She could see that the Twins were rather happy, if not relieved at this outcome, having their brother out of harm’s way and seeing how many other ponies cared for him. It really spoke to them about how much Smolder has done to fix what their father had tried so hard to destroy and it put them at ease to the years that would come from Smolder’s tenure as King.


Together I walked with Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, Twilight, and Sapphire. Everypony else followed close behind while we made our way back to the Ashen Fields portal. Tier and Mira were now carrying Null back to the portal, where all the Void Walkers would be waiting to see an old yet familiar face.

Halfway across the fields the Duke and Lord Nox had met us halfway, apparently having some rather choice words with me, many of which were scolding, disappointment, and the nerve I had. Near the end of his lecture though, he actually smiled and put his arm around me.

“You’re a piece of work, kid. You’re as stubborn as an old mule, but you got a lot of heart. I’m… proud of you, kid.” The Duke said.

“I thought we agreed that it was two months of scolding before showing any praise?” Princess Luna questioned.

“Kids going to be getting an earful from a lot of other Lord and Ladies, but… the kid’s been through enough already. He needs to know how proud we are of him.”

“I have to say, Lord Smolder, I wasn’t sure what I was expecting, but you faced your enemy with your head held high and you never backed down. You didn’t choose to fight, but sought other means to end this conflict peacefully. That, my Lord, is what true king’s are made of.” Lord Nox said.

“It’s just Smolder.” I said.

“Just watch out for the old bat, he’s the one you’re going to have to answer to.” The Duke warned. “He’s with Discord and the Void Walkers at the Ashen Field’s portal. It was the safest place for him to be while we sorted out this mess.”

“Wingston…” I mumbled.

It had been so long since I had seen him, since I had heard his voice. I had left him when he was still unconscious from the Orc’s attack and yet I felt that he had been with me this entire time. I smiled wide knowing that I was about to see my friends again, to tell him that I had been able to end things the way he had taught me.

“SMOLDER.”

I felt my blood run cold. Everypony froze in an instant. We dare not turn back, we all knew what had spoken. What it was that called me name. Still I turned to look back over my shoulder to see where the voice had come from.

Beyond the edge of the Kingdom of Naught a storm of shadows was brewing, dark energy flashing across the sky, when a hand suddenly flung itself up out of the abyss and slammed itself upon the world. It dug its fingers in deep, revealing a skeletal hand beneath the shadows as it pulled itself up and out of the abyss. I watched in horror as the head soon followed, a skull flaring with shadows and darkness appeared from the edge. Its size was enormous, eclipsing the Elder Dragon in size, having naught but its torso, and arm, and its freakish head to work with.

“I WILL NOT BE DENIED MY DESTINY!”

Nadir’s massive arm reached, clawing into the ground, dragging itself towards us. Shaking the world apart with each deafening slam. Spewing shadows from its mouth like a fire, desperately trying to reach our portal, Nadir had not enough light to fully restore himself, but he knew where he could find more.

“Run!” The Duke hollered.

No pony needed to be told twice, every pony bolted for the portals, running to whichever was closest to them. Instructions were being thrown out to close the portals as soon as every pony had gotten out, to lock Nadir inside, but the amount of ponies that still needed to get out was far too many. I was frozen in place, ponies running past me, watching Nadir claw his way towards us.

“You will die protecting this world.”

My heart was racing. I had not changed anything. My fire was right. My mother was right. This was it. The moment was here.

“Luna, Cadance, Lord Tundra, and Lady Frost! We need to by them sometime! Shining Armor you are incharge of getting every pony out safely! Do not wait on us!” Princess Celestia commanded.

“We can fight this thing!” Shining Armor protested.

“Our first priority is the safety of every pony and Equestria! The Elements of Harmony will be our last line of defense if we fail to stop it!” Princess Celestia ordered.

“Smolder, I will need you to- Smolder?”

“Smolder!”

Sapphire’s voice cut out like a knife. Princess Celestia whipped around seeing Smolder barreling back across the fields in his flash step to face Nadir alone. The plan had fallen apart almost instantly, Princess Celestia was already running after him, along with Luna, Cadance, Shining Armor, dozens of flame ponies had heard Sapphire’s cry and turned to see their king going back to fight. Twilight and the others were rushing back with the Elements of Harmony already beginning to glow.

Over on a hilltop, many miles away, near the broken remains of the Trottingham portal was the Mad King. Staring at the small flame racing towards Nadir, the Mad King’s flames were flaring, his fury rising for reasons his mind could not comprehend.

“Smolder...”

My hooves struck the ground hard, fear was all that was driving me now, unsure of what I could do, but the fire I felt in my heart was roaring the closer I got to Nadir. I could feel my flames beginning to rage, the heat I was creating was melting the ground around me, the red and yellow of my fire was bleeding into a white fire that began to screech with the sound of a phoenix.

Nadir pulled himself forward to meet my charge, his mouth opening wide to consume me, lunging towards me with all his might. The of voices from the King’s of old were suddenly ringing in my ears, their fires raging all around me, feeling this shared power beginning to bleed from every pore of my body, unsure of what was going to happen to me when I released it.

The world seemed to slow down, Nadir’s skull nearly upon me, my fire having reached its a brilliant white flame, the screeching of the phoenix had slowly faded from my ears. I felt my heart beating rapidly in my chest, the tremors of my hooves hitting the ground with such force, the incredible heat my flames were giving off, and that’s when I felt a hoof touch my shoulder.

Wake up, sweetheart.

The roar of a hundred passed King’s escaped my throat, the shriek of a phoenix raced through my fire, my flames fanned out covering countless miles as it enveloped Nadir completely, holding him back from the sheer fury of my power alone.

PreviousChapters Next