• Published 17th Aug 2017
  • 870 Views, 72 Comments

The Phoenix King - Turtlehaus



Smolder has journeyed into the Void to help the mysterious Mira take back the Kingdom of Naught from the Dark King Null. Twilight and friends are racing to find clues to the Void, while an ancient evil sets its sights on Equestria.

  • ...
1
 72
 870

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 40: Into the Snow (Part 1)

Twilight Sparkle, Fluttershy, Spike, Tea, Chapel and Florence stood at the base of the staircase leading to the Noble Cliffside where Tea discussed the events that had taken place. After last nights ‘accident’, Floe was quite literally blue in the face after repeatedly apologizing to Tea for snuffing out Smolder’s flame. Needless to say, it complicated matters considerably, they had no guarantee that any of the Obelisks, if found, would open and if they did if they could find the area in which Smolder had entered. Unfortunately for Tea, she was tasked with bringing this bad news to Wingston and the other Flame Ponies.

"So he just sneezed without covering his mouth?" Spike asked looking rather surprised.

"It was an accident." Tea reassured him; still looking very troubled by it.

"Oh dear, what are you going to do now?" Fluttershy asked quietly, but concerned.

"Princess Sapphire is having us fly down to the Ashen Fields to deliver the 'bad news' before we take the train back to Manehattan from Ponyville." Chapel explained.

"Where is Princess Sapphire?" Twilight asked curiously.

"She called an early meeting with her mother this morning to discuss what happened and get permission to enter the 'White Walk' to search for the Obelisks." Tea informed them; still sounding depressed.

"I guess that means we'll be heading back out into the snow." Spike groaned.

"The snow will be the least of your troubles little dragon." A familiar voice wafted down the steps.

Every pony turned to see two well dressed colts descending the stairs towards them. Twilight, Fluttershy, and Spike were not acquainted with these ponies yet, but Tea, Chapel, and Florence had met them just last night.

"You again?" Chapel asked in disbelief.

"Them again?" Twilight asked sounding lost.

"We are Lord Shannon, and Lord Borris. We also live around here so you shouldn't be so surprised to see us." Lord Borris informed them.

"It's very nice to meet you." Fluttershy said quietly.

"This is Fluttershy. I'm Twilight Sparkle, and this is my assistant Spike." Twilight offered them introductions.

"Ah, quite right, indentured servitude; we have a couple back home." Lord Borris nodded in approval.

"He's not a servant, he's my assistant." Twilight corrected them.

"Apologies. What does he help you with?" Lord Shannon asked sounding curious.

"I help Twilight organize all of her books, keep a detailed check list of all the things she needs to get done, and-" Spike began listing off his day to day duties.

"Sounds like a servant to me." Lord Borris whispered to Lord Shannon who nodded his head in agreement.

"What do the two of you want?" Florence asked sounding bored with the conversation.

"Straight to business. Lord Shannon and I were thinking about what you had said yesterday, and it got us thinking that we shouldn't be relying on our family's accomplishments to garner respect." Lord Borris explained.

"So?" Chapel asked halfheartedly.

"We've come here today to inform Princess Sapphire that we are withdrawing our consideration as possible suitors to her." Lord Shannon informed them.

"Really?" Florence, Tea, Chapel asked in mutual surprise.

"Wait, what?" Twilight asked in confusion.

"After thirty-five dinners with Princess Sapphire, we're pretty confident that her interests lie elsewhere." Lord Borris noted.

"It took you thirty-five dinners to get the hint?" Chapel asked in disbelief.

"It does seem rather obvious now, doesn't it?" Lord Shannon remarked, with Lord Borris nodding his head in agreement.

Chapel quickly approached Lord Borris, taking a firm hold of his tie and jerking his head towards her.

"What's your angle, buster?" Chapel demanded.

"Buster is my cousin, but I promise you that we are not alluding to ulterior motives with our decision." Lord Borris insisted, looking rather unnerved by her aggressiveness.

"We are also here to fund the expedition into the White Walk that Princess Sapphire has personally requested of us." Lord Shannon added, looking immensely worried at the damage being caused to Lord Borris's tie.

"Why would she ask you two colts for such a thing?" Chapel grilled them again; tightening her grip on his tie.

"Believe it or not, we can show a certain amount of civility towards one another when we are not socializing." Lord Borris stated, tugging his tie from Chapel's grip.

Chapel was rather surprised by that remark.

"We may not be Princess Sapphire's first choice in suitors, but we were the first ponies she turned to when she needed a favor." Lord Shannon added smoothing out Lord Borris's tie for him.

Florence and Chapel seemed taken aback. Their own mockery being thrown back at them.

"Lord Borris, Lord Shannon, thank you for coming under such short notice." Princess Sapphire said aloud, appearing from the corridor from the East Wing.

"My Lady, Lord Borris and I have already transferred the funds to the Treasury just under an hour ago. We were informed that your request for the necessary supplies will be addressed immediately." Lord Shannon informed her; the two bowing their heads to them.

"I'm deeply grateful to the both of you for your generosity." Princess Sapphire replied graciously; bowing her head to them as well.

"While we have you here, my Lady, Lord Shannon and I have talked it over and have decided to retract ourselves from the list of possible suitors that would concern yourself with." Lord Borris mentioned.

"Really?" Princess Sapphire asked looking surprised.

"In all honesty, Lord Borris and I don't really care for ice sculpting that much." Lord Shannon informed her.

"Deathly boring, really." Lord Borris confirmed.

"Excuse me!" Princess Sapphire asked in disbelief; her mane showering snowflakes.

Tea, Florence, Chapel, Fluttershy, Twilight, and Spike were all snickering to themselves as Lord Borris and Lord Shannon leaned into her about how dull she was.

"Please don't take it to heart, my Lady, I'm sure some colt will finding your hobbies most interesting, but just not us." Lord Borris told her.

"Half the time it feels like we're leading the conversations at dinner anyways, and you're not much of a talkative pony. You bring the down the whole room with your disinterested glare you always seem to have. It's why we don't invite you to parties." Lord Shannon added on.

"Y-Y-You're the boring ponies!" Princess Sapphire accused them; pointing her hoof at them.

"Hoof pointing? Really?" Lord Borris asked shaking his head.

"We know the truth hurts, my Lady, but show some class. At this rate you'll be single forever." Lord Shannon informed her.

Princess Sapphire was a deep shade of purple from all the laughter that was coming at her expense, but ended up smiling just a bit at the whole idea.

"We wish you luck in recovering the King of Flame Ponies, my Lady." Lord Borris stated.

Lord Borris and Lord Shannon bowed their heads to Princess Sapphire, turning to leave, they approached Florence and Chapel specifically near the base of the stairs. Chapel eyed them suspiciously while Florence went for the look of indifference.

"We're having a party next week, all the High Nobles will be there and dignitaries from several regions of Equestria, and we're hoping that you'll agree to join us for such an event." Lord Shannon said to them.

Lord Shannon dug into his coat pocket, retrieving two very decorative invitations that were addressed to them specifically. Florence and Chapel were rather surprised by such an offer, looking at the invitations at a loss for words.

"We'd... really appreciate it if you would consider coming." Lord Borris tacked on, fiddling with his tie.

"You want us to go?" Florence asked sounding rather confused.

"We'd understand if this is too forward with such a sudden request, but we would..." Lord Shannon began, trailing off; clearing his throat from embarrassment.

"We would like to... speak with you further." Lord Borris finished the thought; flushing a dark blue.

It was Florence and Chapel's turn to blush. It was rather sudden to be asked out, especially by two colts they had just made fun of the night before, but they seemed rather sincere about it. There was a sudden catcall from Tea that only had the four ponies flushing harder at the rather awkward situation they found themselves in.

"We'll... we'll think about it." Chapel mumbled, quickly taking the invitation from them.


Warrick Hearth was prepping his gear for the expedition into the White Walk. His heavy snow armor was going to be necessary if anything bigger than Ice Wolves were planning to attack them, but it was the least of his worries. He had agreed to the summons almost immediately when it was brought to him by Kirk early this morning, before taking it to his sister, Summer, knowing that she would certainly accept it on principle of protecting Princess Sapphire. Which meant that he was going to get an ear full from his bride to be, Wendy Sleet, who was already unhappy at his decision.

"So you just agreed to this mission without even consulting me, it that it?" Wendy asked him in a huff.

Wendy Sleet was a gray blue, her grayish mane was rather unique in that it billowed heavier than most Ice Ponies, giving off the appearance of her have straight hair with slight curls at the ends. Her cutie mark bore an almanac that had several snowflakes pouring from its pages. By many Ice Ponies she was considered to be one of the most beautiful mares in all the Noble Cliffside, but it was her intelligence that had intimidated many possible suitors.

Wendy originally had no interest in Warrick, not even romantically, but Warrick had fallen for her since they were just children. He never had the mind of a scholar like she did, his natural talent was being a perfect soldier, and it interested her very little. Eventually, Warrick was to lead his first mission into the Shattered Bluff as a surveillance team to review the state it was currently in. He confessed his feelings for Wendy before he left, garnering very little from her, knowing that she did not share such feelings for him, but wished him well on his mission.

A horrible storm gathered in the Frozen North, one so fierce it sheered the sides of mountain with its razor hail and buried whole villages in thick snow as it raged for nearly a week. Needless to say that Hearth's family was extremely worried about him, so much so that Wendy could only feel guilt for being so indifferent with Warrick's confession. When the storm had finally passed, it was unclear what had happened to Warrick's team, and it would be another week before any pony noticed a single flame with four very tired Ice Ponies slowly trudging their back in the snow.

An avalanche, caused by the storm had buried them under several feet of snow, trapping them in a icy prison. The Ice Ponies spoke of Warrick's heroics, digging through the snow, searching for his lost teammates, burning through ice nonstop trying to find them. Even when it seemed like they wouldn't find Soldier, Warrick continued to dig, even when his flames had dipped low, he used his hooves and kept searching. In the end, he found every last Ice Pony beneath the snow, and led them home.

Warrick had contracted something that Ice Ponies called Frozen Lung, which is when ice crystals freeze within a regular ponies lungs, and their body temperature melts it; drowning them in the snow. It was different for Ice Ponies, it had simply scarred his lungs, damaging them quite considerably, almost leaving him unable to breath. It took several doctor ponies, as well as the Court Wizard Floe to devise a cure for Warrick's condition, and in the end the treatment had worked. The remedy was a kin to the very same method to how Warrick had contracted it, the doctors had developed the remedy, and Floe introduced it to his lungs by means of burning it; having Warrick inhale it.

In his recovery, Wendy would visit him often, speaking to him like they had done in years passed. The attraction wasn't instant for Wendy, but overtime she found Warrick's selflessness, his drive, and his loyalty to those her cared for admirable. Eventually, Wendy found Warrick charming, if not a bit simple minded in his desires, which mostly concerned her being his special somepony.

"Summer is going on this mission into the White Walk, there is no possible way she'll refuse it as Princess Sapphire is heading this expedition. I won't let her go it alone." Warrick stated his case.

"So if I can convince Summer to stay, you'll stay too?" Wendy asked, looking for a loophole.

"I'm going regardless if Summer stays or not, there needs to be a Flame Pony to help keep those ponies from Ponyville warm and help create a path through the thick snow." Warrick informed her.

"This isn't some snowed over path to Yakyakistan, Warrick, this is the White Walk there is a reason its forbidden to enter!" Wendy snapped at him.

"Princess Sapphire knows that no other Flame Pony would be willing to do this, that's why she's asking us. The White Walk is just stories to keep young Ice Ponies from getting lost, it never said anything about Flame Ponies." Warrick told her.

"I'll call the wedding off! If you don't stay here I'll leave you! Don't think I won't, Warrick, I'm losing you either way." Wendy shouted at him; a mixture of anger and worry in her voice.

Warrick stepped towards her, embracing her tightly, knowing how desperate she was to keep him here.

"When I get back, if you still want me, I'll request that every Royal Edict be brought to you first before every mission." Warrick told her.

"Just come back so I can hate you without having to worry." Wendy pleaded with him.


Summer Hearth awoke that morning with a summons from Princess Sapphire that she and Warrick were needed for an expedition into the White Walk. It was not a simple matter of trudging through miles of snow, but trudging through an uncharted and potentially dangerous area that gave Summer pause. Warrick was first to inform her of this news, reassuring her that he could handle this mission if she chose to stay behind, but this only made Summer more determined to go as well. Needless to say, her parents were not very keen on the idea of having her go on such a dangerous mission and Coal had drawn the short straw to try and talk her out of it.

"You don't have to do this. You just got back from a three day march through the snow; it's tiring for even the most experienced Ice Pony. Stay and rest. Warrick will be able handle this." Coal insisted.

"I am a part of the Royal Guard, incidentally Princess Sapphire's Royal Bodyguard, and I will not have my Lady venture into the White Walk without me." Summer replied determinedly.

"Just... be careful, sweetheart." Coal mumbled, stepping forward and embracing her.

"Don't worry about me , Daddy. I'll be alright." Summer reassured him; returning his hug.

Coal stepped back, still looking rather concerned for her, but knew that she was a lot like her mother and that once her mind was made up she wasn't going to change. Summer watched her father take his leave from her room, closing the door behind him on his way out. A part of her wanted to stay, for the White Walk was feared by every Ice Pony, herself included, but she wouldn't allow Princess Sapphire to enter alone.

Tightening the belt around her waist, her sword secured, another knock was heard from her door.

"Come." Summer stated aloud.

Half expecting it to be her mother coming to tell her a thousand reason why she shouldn't be going, it was instead her Uncle Hearth who appeared at the door.

"I'm just about on my way out, Uncle, I won't be able to chat for long." Summer informed him.

"Your father tells me you've decided to go on this mission." Hearth stated.

"Are you here to talk me out of it?" Summer asked curiously.

"It's hard for any parent to have both children be sent somewhere dangerous." Hearth mentioned.

"I don't see them asking Warrick to stay." Summer replied sounding a little annoyed.

"As a matter of fact I happened to overhear Wendy Sleet make a very heart felt plea for him to remain here." Hearth pointed out.

Summer and Wendy were two very different ponies. Wendy was by all rights a beautiful, intelligent, Noble Mare, that was molded to be the successor to of her father's estate and lands. While Summer was of course a Knight that abhor the life of a dainty Noble Mare, and preferred the life of a soldier. Their views ran parallel with one another, but were never on the same line. The argued in great lengths of all things political, social, and even about their personal lives at times. Even with all their differences, they held a mutual respect for one another.

"He won't do it. He's too much of a hero. Besides, since I'm also in this mission he won't let me go it alone." Summer replied sounding bitter about it.

"You'd rather go alone?" Hearth asked curiously.

"I'd just like one chance to prove to everypony that I'm just as good as Warrick is, but whenever something comes up they ask Warrick to handle it." Summer stated, picking up her cloak from her sheet of granite.

"Warrick is more experienced than you." Hearth informed her.

"It's hard to become experienced when you're never given the chance to gain any of it." Summer replied.

"If you're wanting to prove-" Hearth began.

"You and Warrick get along very well, because you share a lot of things in common, but I'm not like you Uncle. I'm like my father; overshadowed by the prodigy that is the eldest sibling. I'm sorry, Uncle, but you don't know what it's like to be ignored and have to stand in somepony's shadow ." Summer stated fastening her cloak in place.

Hearth didn't respond. Summer headed towards the door to leave, Hearth stepped in front of her to block her way.

"My granddaughter used to think the way you do. That need to prove yourself, but I feel your reasons are different then hers. She doubted others while you doubt yourself. Through the help of some very good ponies, she was able to learn what it meant to be a good leader, and was able to prove it through her actions when it mattered most." Hearth explained to her.

"I don't doubt myself." Summer said, refusing to acknowledge it.

"It is from your self-doubt that every pony worries for you; none more so than your family. You're still trying to find your place in this world, and that is a lot to ask of a Flame Pony in a world of snow." Hearth continued.

Summer looked away from him; it was as if her Uncle could read her mind. Hearth smiled warmly at her, knowing she was much more mature than Ray was when dealing with this sort of thing.

"You may feel that we don't share much in common, but you are a Hearth. Our line can be traced as far back to the time of Lord Smoke, to our ancestor Maul, the first to fight for family, home, and friend. That line is still being drawn, it is a clear line that gives evil pause, and shows ponies where we stand. Find your line, never waver from it, let it be clear that any who cross it will face opposition, and never forget where that line began; where it will lead to." Hearth told her.

"What if I make a mistake?" Summer asked quietly.

"Your older brother will be there to help you; it's what we do." Hearth reassured her.


Princess Sapphire walked with Tea, Chapel, and Florence towards the entrance of Castle Fjord. With the necessary supplies being gathered Twilight, Fluttershy and Spike had returned to their rooms to ready themselves for the expedition into the White Walk; knowing that the sub-zero temperatures would require them to be properly suited for the harsh environment. Unfortunately, Tea was still rather miserable to say the least, still clutching her unlit lantern and looking rather defeated.

“When you reach the Ashen Fields, let Wingston know we’ll be in contact with him as soon as we gather every pony’s report on their findings. In the meantime, we’ll be searching the White Walk for own Obelisks. If we cannot open the portal in the Ashen Fields, we might have some luck with one of the others.” Princess Sapphire stated to Tea.

“I should have just given you the lantern.” Tea mumbled miserably. “It would have made things easier.”

Chapel and Florence were attempting to comfort Tea who clutched her extinguished lantern looking very depressed. Tea had barely gotten any sleep that night, the anxiety of having forever trapped Smolder within the Void gnawed at her like a dragon eating gems.

“Nonsense! I insisted that you come with me Castle Fjord, and it is Floe’s fault for what has happened.” Princess Sapphire informed her; her voice venomous at Floe’s name.

“Everything is ruined now.” Tea stated.

“We will find another way to make this work, Tea.” Princess Sapphire reassured her. “I promise you.”

Tea felt Sapphire’s hoof firmly take her shoulder. Tea looked at her, seeing her confidence and gentle smile she had for her. Tea found herself smiling back at her. Last night’s time together had really opened Tea’s eyes to what sort of pony Princess Sapphire was, and to Tea she had become a very good friend.

“After I deliver this to the Ashen Fields, we’ll probably head back to Manehattan.” Tea mentioned looking back at Florence and Chapel who nodded in agreement. “When this is all over and… we get Smolder back… let’s hangout again.”

Princess Sapphire’s face softened, she almost looked moved by what Tea had said, as if she was the first pony that had asked her to ‘hangout’.

“But you have to have a sleep over with us in Manehattan.” Chapel added.

After you tell every pony at school you’re our friend.” Florence chimed in.

“I… would like that very much.” Princess Sapphire replied looking very grateful at the offer. "I think."

Ow! Ow! Ow!” Floe’s pained voice started to grow closer.

Turning back around, every pony could see Lady Frost striding towards them with Floe in tow; her magic having a firm grip on his ear. Lady Frost looked rather peeved from what had occurred the night before, but it seemed like a motherly sort of way that she went about scolding him.

“Is he to be executed, mother?” Princess Sapphire asked in a cold tone of voice.

“Hardly, Snowflake. Although, there is something Floe would like to say before Tea and her friends leave for the Ashen Fields.” Lady Frost stated giving him a firm yank upon the ear to step forward.

I already said I was sorry.” Floe hissed at Lady Frost; rubbing his soar ear.

“You will say it again and it better be sincere, or so help me I will ground you for an entire year with no experiments.” Lady Frost warned him.

Floe was still just a foal, his expertise in magic didn’t measure up to much with his immaturity, but even he seemed very remorseful for what had happened. Turning to Tea, not able to look her in the eyes, keeping his stare fixed on the floor, he bowed his head to her apologetically.

“I’m… very sorry for ruining everything.” Floe said sounding somber. “Please don’t let Sapphire kill me.”

Tea had to smile at that. Stepping towards him, Tea gave him a firm hug; gently rocking him back and forth. Being a nurse, Tea had met many young foals and fillies that were either scared about an operation or upset for one of their family members being in hospital; she found that hugs were the best way to treat those kinds of things.

“It was an accident.” Tea said to him. “It wasn’t your fault.”

Floe clung to her a bit. There was a quiver in his voice, a shake to him that Tea knew well when little foals and fillies wanted to feel secure in another's embrace.

“Thanks.” Floe mumbled to her.

Tea stepped back. Floe seemed like he was trying not to become emotional, while Lady Frost drew her wing around him and pulled him close to her. Lady Frost was a mother first, and a Queen second; informing Floe of his need to be more mindful about the things he did. Princess Sapphire didn’t look very happy at Tea’s quickness to forgive him, but it wasn’t her lantern that he had snuffed out.

Princess Sapphire, Tea, Florence, and Chapel stepped out into the cold winds of the Frozen North, the Royal Carriage awaiting for them to board and bring them to the Ashen Fields. Their winter clothing already thinly layered with frost, which had them chattering from the cold, but it was only for a short while before they were on their way. The Royal Soldier Ponies loaded up their luggage to the back of the carriage, taking care to securely fasten it before take off.

Just before boarding the carriage, Florence and Chapel hugged Princess Sapphire, thanking her for allowing them the chance to come to the Frozen North, and putting up with them. Princess Sapphire reassured them that their time here was welcomed by her and encouraged the idea of having them visit again at some point. They boarded the carriage leaving Tea to say her goodbyes to Princess Sapphire; she could see how cold Tea already was, but she seemed determined to say something.

"P-P-P-Please-" Tea stammered from the cold.

"You have nothing to worry about, I will find Smolder and bring him home." Princess Sapphire reassured her.

Tea set her lantern down, hugging her tightly, to which Sapphire seemed rather surprised by.

"Please take c-c-care of yourself, S-S-Sapphire. I d-d-don't want to lose you t-t-too." Tea stammered.

Princess Sapphire felt herself hugging her back, smiling at the idea of Tea worrying for her. Tea stepped back, doing her best to smile without chattering her teeth, Princess Sapphire smiled reassuringly helping Tea into the carriage. Closing the door to the carriage, Princess Sapphire looked towards the Royal Pegasi Guards if they were ready to go; seeing them nod their response. Stepping back, the carriage lurched forward, picking up speed down the rampart before soaring up into the sky heading south towards the Ashen Fields.


Tea, Florence, and Chapel were crowded near the window of the carriage; taking some last looks at the Kingdom of the Frozen North. Each of them felt that they would be back again at some point, but it was still sad for each of them to have had their visit cut short. Settling in for the several hours it would take to reach the Ashen Fields, the three mares huddled close together to try and keep warm.

"I s-s-swear, the next time we come here I'm bringing a polar suit." Florence muttered, teeth chattering.

"I-I-I don't know if Lord Borris and Lord Shannon would find you all that attractive in that get up." Tea muttered with a smile.

"W-W-We're not in-in-interested in them!" Florence stammered, face beginning to flush.

"Are y-y-you still going to go to their party?" Tea asked curiously.

"O-O-Of course! You'd b-b-be crazy not too. They're going to have a bunch of rich and famous p-p-ponies over." Chapel stated, excited about the idea.

"Besides, w-w-we b-b-borrowed some of Princess Sapphire's dresses." Florence added.

"Y-Y-You stole them?" Tea asked in disbelief.

"Borrowed Tea, there is a difference." Chapel informed her.

There was some turbulence that shook the carriage a bit, it wasn't anything serious, but it rattled them enough to loosen their hold on their jackets; letting precious warmth escape from them. Shivering in silence for a while, finding it hard to talk with their teeth chattering, the rays of the sun started to peek out from the snow clouds bathing the carriage in the warmth of its rays.

"S-S-So is the Ashen Fields as p-p-pretty as the Frozen North?" Florence asked curiously.

"It's w-w-warmer." Tea replied.

"Who's Wingston by the way?" Chapel asked looking confused.

PreviousChapters Next