• Published 17th Aug 2017
  • 870 Views, 72 Comments

The Phoenix King - Turtlehaus



Smolder has journeyed into the Void to help the mysterious Mira take back the Kingdom of Naught from the Dark King Null. Twilight and friends are racing to find clues to the Void, while an ancient evil sets its sights on Equestria.

  • ...
1
 72
 870

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 29: Smoke & Fears

Unconscious, lying upon the floor of the Waiting Room, were two insect like ponies. They had black carapace-like exteriors, webbed manes and tails, having fangs, bent horns, jagged ears, their wings were insect-like, and had holes in their legs. Neither Mr. Bartlesby, Mr. Montague, Misses Minerva, nor Trixie had ever seen such a creature before. It horrified them, as well as brought them great curiosity of to what they were.

"I… don't understand, what are these… these things?" Mr. Bartlesby asked looking confused.

"I haven't seen anything quite like this before, it's outstanding to say the least." Mr. Montague remarked with intrigue examining them closer.

"You look at them and think outstanding? Putrid is a far better word." Misses Minerva remarked, covering her mouth with her hoof trying not to fall ill at the sight of them.

"They do appear to be a subset of pony, I can't be sure, but it appears that they have the ability to shape-shift into perfect copies of any pony of their choosing. Making them quite useful for infiltrating, much like what we have seen going on around here." Mr. Montague reported after giving them once over.

"What are we supposed to do now?" Mr. Bartlesby asked, feeling that things were becoming wildly out of hoof.

"Our first step is to restrict these two, look for something we can use to bind them together." Mr. Montague stated.

"I have some rope we can use." Trixie offered.

Trixie's horn began glowing, her magic magically conjuring a wealth of rope in out of thin air, floating to Mr. Montague. With the help of Mr. Bartlesby, Mr. Montague was able to tie the two strange creatures together.

"This should hold them for now." Mr. Montague remarked, pulling on the knot a few more times to ensure it was secure.

"What do we do now?" Misses Minerva asked.

"The plan doesn't change; we rescue our comrades and come up with a plan to save the detective and her assistant." Mr. Montague replied heading for the door.

"But without their uniforms we'll be stopped by any Police Pony walking around and it might be more of whatever these two are." Mr. Bartlesby refuted, not liking the plan.

"We need to act quickly before they move the Duke and the Constable to a more secure location." Mr. Montague argued.

"I can conjure up a distraction to allow the two of you to sneak out." Trixie offered them.

"Can you really?" Misses Minerva asked in surprise.

"I can conjure up a few smoke bombs, making it appear like a fire has started; it should by you enough time to reach the cafeteria." Trixie explained.

"Classic misdirection, it's perfect." Mr. Montague replied sounding onboard with this plan.

"The cafeteria is down this corridor, a left, then a right, we can't miss it." Mr. Bartlesby explained to Mr. Montague.

"After you have deployed the smoke bombs, you and Misses Minerva will stay here with our captured fiends, keeping out of sight until our return." Mr. Montague instructed them.

"I will deploy them near the lobby, in an attempt to draw them as far from the back of the Yard as possible." Trixie stated, trying not to seem nervous.

Mr. Bartlesby be hugged Misses Minerva, promising her that everything will be alright, trying to gather as much courage as he could to help him through this.

"We'll make our move as soon as the bombs go off; we meet back here, no exceptions." Mr. Montague stated to them.

With a nod from every pony, Mr. Montague opened the door a bit to see if the coast was clear. Motioning towards Trixie to come closer, Trixie stepped forward taking a peek for herself. The hallway was empty, giving her the best shot of reaching the lobby. Taking a deep breath, Trixie rushed out of the room and into the hallway. Her galloping would cause too much noise upon the stone flooring, doing her best to run from one end of the hall to the next, stopping periodically to listen for other hoof steps.

Coming to a stop at one corner, Trixie peered around the edge to see a group of Police Ponies standing around in the lobby speaking with one another. Trixie couldn't tell who was an actual Police Pony, and who was an imposter, but it at the moment it didn't matter because both were looking for her. Focusing her magic, Trixie's horn started to glow, creating several smoke bombs that she scooped out of the air. These were her most explosive, thick, and longest lasting smoke bombs she had in her arsenal.

"You can do this Trixie, you can do this." Trixie whispered to herself.

At that moment, the door a few steps behind Trixie opened up, a Police Pony stepping out with a cup of coffee in his hoof. Whipping around to look at him, Trixie froze on the spot, so had the Police Pony who had caught sight of her crouched down near the corner right in the middle of a sip of his drink. The Police Pony was first to move, spitting out the sip he had taken to shout to the other Police Ponies, but Trixie got the better of him. With her magic, she lodged one of her smoke bombs in the Police Pony's mouth, shoving him back into the room, and slamming the door shut.

"Sorry!" Trixie shouted, unsure if it was an imposter or not.

There was a loud boom that shook the Yard, the smoke bomb having gone off inside the room with the Police Pony; causing every Police Pony on the Yard to become startled.

"I think it came from over here!" A Police Pony from the lobby shouted.

With the sound of many hooves galloping down the hall towards Trixie, she tossed the rest of the smoke bombs blindly around the corner. There were a few soft plops of the bombs before an enormous boom rattled the Yard, blowing an immense smoke cloud through the halls and causing countless Police Ponies to have a mad coughing fit. Unable to see through the smoke, the Police Ponies were bumping into one another, the walls, the waste baskets, trying to figure out what the hay just happened. More shouting from other areas of the Yard could be heard, more hooves approaching the lobby.

Lucky for Trixie, she had plenty of experience making her grand exit from sudden smoke bombs during her performances. Conjuring herself a good length of tied handkerchiefs, Trixie tied one end to the door the Police Pony had surprised her from and quickly crossed the hall towards the other side to tie it off on a water fountain. The charging Police Ponies, who had not been caught in the blast, rushed through the smoke, trying to determine the cause and the source of it, found themselves being clotheslined by the handkerchief and sprawling out onto the floor. Deciding that this was the best time to make her escape, Trixie disappeared into the clouds of smoke to make her way back to the Waiting Room.

Meanwhile, Mr. Montague and Mr. Bartlesby had heard the first minor explosion, followed by the very immense boom that shortly followed. Allowing the Police Ponies near the back of the Yard to come running past their door to see what had happened, they slipped out when the coast was clear to find their missing comrades.

Mr. Montague took the lead, the whole experience had him feeling that his was a young colt in the army once more, but Mr. Bartlesby was shaking like a leaf; his whole life had been in books and not combat. Racing through the hallways, Trixie's diversion had been successful in clearing the way to the cafeteria, allowing them to reach it without a single Police Pony to stop them.

Reaching the cafeteria doors, Mr. Montague peered through the windows to scope out what was happening on the inside. It was vacant of any pony, prompting Mr. Montague to throw open the doors and rush in.

"James, which way?" Mr. Montague asked, looking around.

"To the kitchen, I saw them dragging the pony filled sack to the back." Mr. Bartlesby replied.

Mr. Montague and Mr. Bartlesby raced towards the kitchen. Mr. Bartlesby watched in amazement as Mr. Montague mantled over the counter and proceeded to roll through the kitchen window all in one fluid motion. Not daring to attempt such a feat, Mr. Bartlesby took the side route, going through the double doors to find Mr. Montague upside down in a rather large soup pot; unable to free himself.

"Get this blasted thing off me!" Mr. Montague's voice could be heard through the metal pot.

Mr. Bartlesby came to his assistance, knocking the soup pot over and pulling on his legs before a soft pop was heard and Mr. Montague came free. Looking rather embarrassed with himself, Mr. Montague cleared his throat, smoothing out his jacket.

"We can leave that part out when we get back to the others." Mr. Montague mumbled.

Mr. Bartlesby nodded his head; trying not to crack a smile at Mr. Montague's embarrassment. There was a large double door leading to the back of the kitchen, where all the supplies and food were kept, the place where the Duke, the Constable, and the other captured Police Ponies were being held. Rushing to the doors, Mr. Montague and Mr. Bartlesby kicked opened the double doors with a slam, James feeling quite heroic in doing so. His heroism quickly drained away as they found themselves staring down a Bugbear that had been roused from its slumber.

"W-W-What is that?" Mr. Bartlesby asked in fright.

"It's a Bugbear!" Mr. Montague shouted in disbelief.

The Bugbear got to its paws. Its bee-like stinger poised at them, its four arms flexing angrily, as its insect-like wings started to buzz, roaring a bone tingling challenge to them. Mr. Bartlesby stood frozen in fear and shock at what stood before them, the Bugbear took to the air, its stinger poised to run him through.

"Get out of the way!" Mr. Montague shouted, shoving Mr. Bartlesby out of the way.

The Bugbear swooped down towards Mr. Montague, taking hold of a baking sheet off the rack beside him; he deflected the Bugbear's stinger having it pierce his tray instead of him. The Bugbear took hold of Mr. Montague, with one of its four paws, soaring out through the kitchen and into the cafeteria where it buzzed around roaring in anger.

"Ha ha! Have at thee Bugbear, for I, Siegward Montague, of the Royal 5th Northumberland Fusiliers will show thee no quarter!" Mr. Montague declared landing a solid hoof strike in its face.

Mr. Bartlesby had gotten to his hooves; a metal colander had been knocked upon his head. He could hear the whooping and hollering cries of Mr. Montague fighting with the Bugbear in the cafeteria. Adjusting the colander upon his head, Mr. Bartlesby took hold of a soup ladle and rushed out of the back room, through the kitchen, to assist his friend.

"Mr. Montague!" Mr. Bartlesby shouted in horror watching the Bugbear struggle with him.

"I'm alright, lad! Find the others! I have this beast right where I want him!" Mr. Montague cried kicking the Bugbear in the chest.

Mr. Bartlesby retreated back into the kitchen, rushing towards the back room, but slowed his run. The struggled grunts of Mr. Montague and the roar of the Bugbear gave him pause.

"Is that all you got you buzzing beast? I've beaten dough tougher then you!" Mr. Montague taunted the Bugbear; striking it several more times in the face.

The Bugbear dived, slamming Mr. Montague hard onto a cafeteria table, pinning him down.

"…oh…" Mr. Montague groaned in pain. "… there goes my back…"

The Bugbear stomped its paw down upon the tray that covered his stinger, freeing itself, and towering over Mr. Montague with its stinger poised at him. Mr. Montague braced himself for the sting, wishing he was ten years younger to have given this Bugbear a proper trouncing when a sudden pop was heard.

Opening his eyes, Mr. Montague saw Mr. Bartlesby clinging to the Bugbear with both arms around its neck; the soup pot from before now lodged upon the Bugbear's head. The muffled roars of the Bugbear vibrated the pot, its claws scratching at the pot, stomping around, crashing into more tables and chairs, all the while Mr. Bartlesby clung to him; too afraid to let go.

"A fine hit, James! A fine hit inde-OW!" Mr. Montague tried to pick himself up only to feel the sharp pain in his back.

"W-W-What do I-I-I-I do n-n-now?" Mr. Bartlesby asked shakily, still clinging to the thrashing Bugbear.

"Finish it, lad! Strike it down!" Mr. Montague cried.

Mr. Bartlesby lifted his hoof, giving the softest punch Mr. Montague had ever seen against the side of the soup pot covering the Bugbear's head. With the Bugbear's thrashing, Mr. Bartlesby's grip failed, tossing him to the ground. Before he could rise himself, the Bugbear blindly stomped towards him.

Mr. Bartlesby curled up into a ball, fearing for his life as the Bugbear tripped over him. The soup pot collided with the side of the counter with a mighty gong, the Bugbear suddenly going limp as it flopped to ground; knocked out.

"Ha ha! Well done, James! A fine show!" Mr. Montague cheered him.

Mr. Bartlesby opened his eyes, slowly uncurling from his ball defense, seeing the unconscious Bugbear laying beside him. Getting to his hooves, his legs still shaking, his heart beating out his chest, he felt himself smile, having bested the beast.

"Rescue our friends, James! I fear I have thrown out my back!" Mr. Montague shouted, trying his best to sit up.

"R-Right!" Mr. Bartlesby shouted back.

Rushing back into the kitchen, throwing open the double doors to the back, Mr. Bartlesby started to search around for the sacks he saw earlier. Nearing the back of the room, he found dozens of brown sacks stacked in the corner that laid still. Quickly approaching the sacks, Mr. Bartlesby untied one of the sacks to find nothing but potatoes within.

"Potatoes?" Mr. Bartlesby asked in disbelief.

Tossing the potato sack pack into the pile there was a sudden 'oof' that came from the rest of the sacks. Mr. Bartlesby reached for another sack, pulling the cords to untie it, revealing a captured Police Pony gagged with a potato.

"The Yard is in danger! We've been compromised!" The Police Pony shouted the moment Mr. Bartlesby removed the potato from his mouth.

"I know. My friends and I are here to save you." Mr. Bartlesby replied, untying the Police Pony.

"Could you save us a little bit faster? I've had some pony's hoof in my face for nearly three hours." A rather cranky voice called out; muffled by the bag.

With the help of the freed Police Pony, Mr. Bartlesby went to work freeing all the captured ponies in the sacks. With the more ponies that they freed, the faster the job became with every pony working together. George the Security Pony was among the captured lot, having been snuck inside by the service door that brought in the regular shipment of food for the Police Ponies early this morning. It wasn't long before the Duke and the Constable had been freed.

"Mr. Montague is in the cafeteria; he's hurt and needs assistance right away." Mr. Bartlesby informed some of the freed Police Ponies.

A couple of Police Ponies rushed off to assist Mr. Montague while Mr. Bartlesby untied another sack.

"I'm going to smell like potatoes for weeks." The Duke grumbled in annoyance climbing out the sack.

The Constable had been freed as well, looking very angry at the events that occurred under his watch.

"I can't believe I let my guard down so easily." The Constable grumbled bitterly.

"Sir, Detective Pinkamena and her assistant have been captured by the imposter ponies." Mr. Bartlesby reported to him.

"Their called Changelings, James, and their nothing compared to their Queen." The Duke informed him, stretching out his back.

"Listen up, every pony, the Yard has been riddled with imposters, these Changelings, we're going to clear this place from top to bottom and take back the Yard." The Constable instructed his freed Police Ponies.

"How are we going to do that, sir? They look just like every pony else." A Police Pony asked curiously.

"They may look like us, but they don't think like us. Approach any Police Pony, question them with any of the Rainbow Code, if they can respond to it, they're one of ours, if not, take them down." The Constable said, sounding rather fierce with his words.

"Sir, Misses Minerva and Trixie are still in danger from the imposters, I mean Changelings, and they're in the Waiting Room with two of these creatures we managed to capture." Mr. Bartlesby explained to him.

"Then we shall make safe that area first." The Constable decreed.

Mr. Bartlesby, the Duke, the Constable, and the freed Police Ponies emerged from the kitchen. Mr. Montague was being assisted by a few Police Ponies who had used parts of the broken table to make a stretcher to place him on. Every pony noticed the unconscious Bugbear lying upon the ground with a rather large soup pot on its head.

"You ponies have been busy." The Duke remarked looking impressed.

"Are you alright, Mr. Montague?" The Constable asked, approaching him.

"Fine, sir, old age is what has bested me; that Bugbear got lucky." Mr. Montague said proudly.

The doors to the cafeteria swung open. Dozens of Police Ponies had swarmed in, having heard the commotion from earlier with the cries of the Bugbear. They seemed rather surprised to see the Constable there, many having seen him leave with the prisoners earlier, and even more surprised to see the Duke who had been bumped to the top of their most wanted list.

"Listen up! There has been a hostile takeover of the Yard! Those that stand among you may not be our brethren!" The Constable shouted aloud; many of the Police Ponies looking rather confused by this. "Prepare yourselves, my Police Ponies, for the 'Yellow Duckling' has left the pond!"

Some of the Police Ponies looked confused to what that had meant, which turned out to be their biggest mistake. For the rest of the Police Ponies that knew what that particular code meant, had taken a step back, standing at attention and throwing a salute.

Those imposter Police Ponies left standing looking rather sheepish by having been ousted by this simple code, smiled nervously at the rather cross looking Police Ponies they had deceived. No order was needed to be given as the Police Ponies quickly apprehended the imposters, subduing them, and slapping shackles upon them.

"The 'Yellow Duckling' has left the pond?" The Duke asked curiously, glancing at the Constable.

"It is code for when the Queen is leaving and that every pony need be standing at attention for when she walks by." The Constable explained.


Back in the Waiting Room, Misses Minerva waited anxiously for Trixie to come back. Her mind was full of worry at the moment, unsure if James was alright, if Mr. Montague was right in having her stay here, or if Trixie had been captured. The door to the Waiting Room suddenly swung open, causing Misses Minerva to shriek, which caused the out of breath Trixie to scream in terror as well.

"Why are you screaming?" Trixie asked in a shriek.

"You scared me!" Misses Minerva shouted back.

"Well you scared me!" Trixie hollered back, trying to slow her heart rate.

Misses Minerva was catching her breath; feeling a bit better now that Trixie had returned.

"Are you alright, Trixie?" Misses Minerva asked, looking her over.

"I'm alright, but I don't think I like being a fugitive." Trixie confessed, trying her hoof at a joke.

It had taken Trixie some time to make it back to the Waiting Room, from the smoke and the mysterious roars coming from both ends of the Yard, the Police Ponies were all over the place. She had several near misses from running into Police Ponies, but with a few more small smoke bombs she was able to get away.

"Do you think the others have succeeded in freeing the captured ponies?" Trixie asked hopefully.

"I'm not sure but it wasn't long after they left that those roars started to fill the halls." Misses Minerva stated, sounding rather nervous.

Sounds from the hallway had them fall silent. Struggling, shouting, thumps against the walls could be heard from the Police Ponies. The fighting grew closer, just outside the door, countless hoof steps charged by breaking off into different directions; the commotion still being heard down the halls. Trixie and Misses Minerva hid behind the sofa, hoping that whatever it was had come and gone, but the door knob clicked; the door swinging open.

A Police Pony was first to enter, followed by Mr. Montague on a makeshift stretcher, followed by the next Police Pony that carried him. Mr. Bartlesby emerged next with the Duke, and the Constable following close behind as several more Police Ponies rushed in.

"This shall be our staging ground, I will relay information from here, remember to use the Rainbow Code when delivering any and all messages." The Constable commanded to his Police Ponies.

"James!" Misses Minerva shouted overjoyed at the sight of him.

The two embraced as Trixie cautiously stepped out from behind the sofa.

"There is nothing to fear, Ms. Lulamoon. The imposter Constable called for your arrest, not I." The Constable said reassuringly.

"Is Mr. Montague going to be alright?" Misses Minerva asked hastily, sounding very concerned.

"No need to fuss, my back simply gave out. If not for Mr. Bartlesby taking the Bugbear hoof to stinger, I would surely be lunch." Mr. Montague stated.

"Where is Pinkie Pie and Rarity?" The Duke demanded; reasonably grumpier than usual.

"They've been taken by the Constable, I mean, the other Constable; the imposter one." Trixie said trying to correct herself.

"Do you know where?" The Duke asked urgently.


Queen Chrysalis's crooked horn began to glow an ominous green, levitating both Pinkie Pie and Rarity into the air, bringing them along as she walked across the moor. Her Changelings followed close behind; there didn't seem to be any pony for miles. The moor had many sloping hills, several rock walls traced across the land, there was a forest that stretched its way for miles; this was where they would be taken.

"What exactly is your plan? Is it full of holes like you?" Rarity asked, sounding rather condescending.

"You would do well to watch that pretty little mouth of yours, unless you want me to close it for you; permanently." Queen Chrysalis warned her in low hiss.

"Where are our friends?" Pinkie Pie asked, sounding rather stern with her.

"No where you need to know, but rest assured that no pony will be coming to save you." Queen Chrysalis replied with a fiendish smile.

Reaching the edge of the woods, there was no path that leads into it, but the ground beneath them seemed to have trotted upon quite frequently; flattening the foliage. The Queen and her Changelings entered the woods, Rarity and Pinkie Pie still floating beside her.

"You'd be a fool to try and open the Void. Incidentally, you'd be an even bigger fool to think that you can control it." Pinkie Pie stated.

"Do not insult my intelligence with your hollow words, pony, I know all about that pathetic Flame King using it to defeat an Elder Dragon. It will bend its power to my will with ease." Queen Chrysalis snapped back; looking rather testy.

"You don't really believe that do you? No pony can control that… that… that storm." Rarity insisted.

"A Changelings' nature is to feed on love, from what I am told this storm feeds upon light. I believe we were made for each other." Queen Chrysalis remarked with a grin.

Their march through the words brought them to a clearing where a massive dirt mound sat, stones blocks created an arch way into this hovel. The dead leaves that littered the round stirred at the Queen's presence, the darkness from within did not seem inviting to say the least. Queen Chrysalis turned her Changelings, fanning out her insect-like wings, scattering them into the woods.

"Afraid that our friends are coming for us?" Pinkie Pie asked coldly.

"You never know who might be walking in these woods. Just one more opportunity to insert another one of my Changelings into the inner workings of Trottingham." Queen Chrysalis stated, carrying Rarity and Pinkie Pie into the mound.

The large dirt mound sloped into the darkness, deeper underground it led, until a soft glow of red light appeared near the bottom. A chill had come across Pinkie and Rarity, the air was cold, the ground around them slick with mud, and the red light becoming stronger. From the mouth of the tunnel, Queen Chrysalis brought them into the hollowed out cave, where everything was filtered in red by the light of two massive Obelisks.

"Pinkie…" Rarity whispered in disbelief.

"Just like the ones in the Ashen Fields." Pinkie mumbled; her eyes fixed upon them.

The Obelisks red markings burned strong, it did not pulse like the ones in the Ashen Fields, and this one had such a sinister presence about it. With a toss of her head, Pinkie and Rarity were thrown by Queen Chrysalis's magic, falling into the muddy floor.

"Make yourselves comfortable." Queen Chrysalis said halfheartedly.

Rarity picked herself up. With mud caking her face, rubbing her faces with her arms trying to clear up the muck, while Pinkie Pie simply spit out a bad taste her mouth and glared at the Queen. The horn of Queen Chrysalis began to glow once more, an insect like cocoon emerged from the ground; it started to open with a sickly noise as an unfamiliar pony slumped out from it.

"Sir Lancaster!" Pinkie Pie shouted in surprise.

Rarity was surprised that Pinkie knew who it was, neither of them had seen him before but it was safe to say that it was him. Sir Lancaster stirred from his uncomfortable sleep, trying to wipe the slime that still clung to him, choking on the stale air that was still in his lungs.

"I've brought you your research, Lancaster, despite your attempts to hide it from me." Queen Chrysalis stated, holding his saddle bag out in front of her with magic.

"I… won't… help you." Sir Lancaster moaned, looking rather haggard.

"You no longer have a choice, darling, refuse to help me and I will be forced to take out my anger on our guests." Queen Chrysalis informed him.

Sir Lancaster lifted his head to see Pinkie Pie and Rarity shackled a few feet away. He knew not who these ponies were, but his face looked horrified that the Queen would threaten him by hurting others.

"So what shall it be, Lancaster? Will you open the portal to the Void for me, or shall I show them the same hospitality I had shown you when you first arrived?" Queen Chrysalis asked tauntingly.

It was clear that Sir Lancaster must have endured the Queen's wrath, having refused to help her open the Void, and from his defeated look he wasn't going to allow another pony to suffer on his behalf.

"It will take time…" Sir Lancaster said slowly.

"You have one hour." Queen Chrysalis stated tossing him his saddle bag. "Fail to open the Void in that time and you will be the cause of these ponies pain, Lancaster."

"Leave him alone, Chrysalis!" Rarity shouted angrily.

"I'm a very reasonable Queen, I give a pony every chance to help me willingly, and I provide options to them when they refuse. I think I'm quite generous that way." Queen Chrysalis remarked.

"So what do you plan to do once you've claimed the Void all to yourself?" Pinkie Pie asked sarcastically.

"I had planned to stage a coup that would place me on Throne of Trottingham, using the Duke as my scapegoat as he seemed the least likely suspect in the disappearance of all his extended family. My plan changed when I learned of the Research Team he had put together to uncover the secrets of the Void. A power so great that not even Celestia, not even an Elder Dragon could stand against it!" Queen Chrysalis explained to them.

"The Void cannot be controlled! It cannot be allowed into Equestria, it will destroy everything!" Pinkie Pie shouted, trying to reason with her.

"You ponies will say anything to try and stop me. Why should I stop at an Empire when I can become an unstoppable force of nature? With the Void under my control I will hold the greatest power to ever grace Equestria, forcing every pony to bow before my might and not even the Elements of Harmony will be able to stand against me!" Queen Chrysalis declared; laughing manically.

PreviousChapters Next