• Published 17th Aug 2017
  • 860 Views, 72 Comments

The Phoenix King - Turtlehaus



Smolder has journeyed into the Void to help the mysterious Mira take back the Kingdom of Naught from the Dark King Null. Twilight and friends are racing to find clues to the Void, while an ancient evil sets its sights on Equestria.

  • ...
1
 72
 860

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 4: A Bleak but Crisp Winter

The Royal Carriages of the Frozen North gleamed in the morning sunlight. It was starkly contrasted by the dullness of the Ashen Fields. The Ice Ponies gathered next to one another beginning to examine the state the Ashen Fields were in first hoof.

Aside from the Royal Family, it had been over a hundred years since an Ice Pony had ever stepped hoof in this land. Many whispered amongst themselves over the state of the Kingdom, but none more so then Winter Snow. His hide was Capri, a unicorn pony, his cloudy mane was a couple shades lighter, his cutie mark was that of a Blue Aquamarine crested within a shield, and dignified himself with a half circle cloak dyed to match his deep blue eyes. Everything about him screamed rich, spoiled, and snobby.

"Ugh." Winter muttered with his nose upturned.

"Winter!" An Ice Pony mare hissed at him.

"It was a mistake coming here, Crisp. It really is such a dreary place after all." Winter commented frowning at the barren and battle torn fields.

"That's why we are here, Winter. To help them rebuild." Crisp reminded him.

Crisp White was an electric blue earth pony. Her cloudy mane was mostly white with hints of blue streaks from time to time. Her cutie mark mirrored the Northern Lights to some degree, and quite possibly the only Ice Pony that willingly spoke with Winter.

"They should have let the dragon raze this place to the ground." Winter said coldly, noticing that his hooves had already been layered with loose dirt. "It's absolutely revolting here."

"Not as revolting as your Winter Berry punch the other night." An Ice Pony colt mumbled beside Winter.

"Take that back, Bleak! My families Winter Berry juice has been passed down for over ten generations and has won countless awards for its taste and smoothness!" Winter snapped angrily.

"It's about the only thing ponies can stomach about your family." Bleak mumbled again, earning a snicker from Crisp and a loud gasp from Winter.

Bleak Weather was a pegasi pony, colored a Royal blue with a cloudy mane of that almost resembled a purple. Although his colors may have been rich, Bleak was far from being a wealthy pony; even his name seemed to have a sort of a depressing ring to it. His cutie mark was that of a white sword, wings fanning out from the hilt. Winter considered him a lower class Ice Pony due to his meager lifestyle but Bleak never seemed to care which took the only insult Winter had against him.

"Attention every pony!" Lord Tundra said aloud turning to face the group of them.

Winter held his tongue, letting this momentary intermission give him time to really think of a good comeback to hit Bleak with. Bleak didn't seem at all worried, his attention was half focused on Lord Tundra while the other half examined the repairs going on with the castle. Crisp was very eager to listen to Lord Tundra's words, excited to be part of the first group of Ice Ponies to return to the Kingdom of Fire.

"You are representatives of the Frozen North, I expect each and every pony here to put their best hoof forward and make themselves examples of what Ice Ponies really are. We have been blessed with our good graces over the years, free from any sort of hardships, allowing the troubles of Equestria to stop at our borders. This is our first step in rebuilding, not only our relationships with the outside world, but the lives of some of these Flame Ponies." Lord Tundra announced glancing around the group of them.

Lady Frost turned around to see Wingston riding towards them atop the back of Hearth. Being lowered to the ground, Wingston limped towards the group of Ice Ponies, his staff thudding across the dirt. There were a lot of bewildered stares coming his way from every Ice Pony as Lord Tundra took notice of what they were looking at.

"Show the Steward of Castle Char and the Flame Ponies the same reverence and respect you would show Lady Frost or myself." Lord Tundra concluded, raising his wing over Wingston to signify the Steward he spoke of.

"That's the Steward?" Bleak asked with his raised brow.

"It's disgusting!" Winter remarked, covering his mouth with his hoof.

"It kind of looks like a gnome. With a really big stick." Crisp suggested, tilting her head to the side trying to figure out what was under the cloak.

"I am Wingston, Steward of Castle Char, and very grateful for your eventual help in these coming weeks." Wingston said to the group of Ice Ponies.

"Weeks?" Winter whispered in fright.

"Wingston will inform you of your duties in a moment, for the time being please recess to the Main Hall of Castle Char and wait there until further instruction." Lady Frost commanded.

"Should we use the front door? Or shall we be entering through the gaping hole in the wall?" Winter remarked coldly.

"With the size of your flank? I would suggest just waiting outside until they can build you a bigger door." Bleak replied following the group towards the Main Doors.

"Why I never! Crisp! Tell me, does this cloak make me look fat? Mother said it looked divine. You can be honest with me." Winter asked in a huff, striking several poses in front of her; trying his best to examine his own flank.

"You're fine, Winter. Just try and keep that mouth shut for a while." Crisp replied, pushing him forward to follow the group.

"I don't know what Bleak's problem is, I'm merely making some observations about the poor conditions in which this Kingdom has been-" Winter's voice trailed away as Twilight and her friends approached Lord Tundra and Lady Frost.

"Good morning, Lady Frost, Lord Tundra, it's a pleasure to see you again." Twilight said as she and the others bowed their heads before them.

"Good morning every pony, I see that you are ready for your trip to the Frozen North." Lady Frost said in a bubbly voice.

"We hope it won't be too much trouble." Twilight replied.

"No trouble at all, Princess Celestia sent us a letter about the situation and we couldn't be more thrilled to have you staying with us." Lady Frost reassured them.

"Really?" Rainbow Dash asked in surprise.

"We already have rooms specially prepared for you when we arrive. I hope you packed warmly, it does tend to get a little nippy up North." Lady Frost said gesturing them towards the carriages.

"A little nippy?" Applejack whispered to Rainbow Dash.

The Royal Pegasi Ice Ponies assisted Twilight and her friends with the bags, loading a majority of it in one of the carriages while ushering the ponies themselves into another. The inside of the chariot was just as glamorous as the outside of the carriage was, having silk seat cushions with gold plated door handles. It was a very luxurious way to travel, it was quite roomie, capable of transporting at least twelve to fifteen ponies at a time, although the carriage didn't seem to be insulated which prompted the ponies to hold onto their winter coats when they got closer to the North. Much to their surprise the newly retired General Hearth boarded their carriage as well.

"What are you doing, General?" Rainbow Dash asked curiously.

"I'm going to the Frozen North, just like the rest of you." Hearth replied, closing the carriage door behind him.

"I can see that, but why?" Rainbow Dash asked again.

"I had some family move there a long time ago. Seeing as I have some newfound free time on my hooves, I thought I would reconnect with them." Hearth explained the inside of the carriage to the window seat at the other side.

"I didn't know you had more family other than Ray and her parents." Twilight remarked curiously.

"After my father's passing, just before the Mad King had declared war, my brothers and sisters fled the Ashen Fields to the North to escape the horrors here. I could not go with them, so I stayed behind to protect my own family." Hearth explained.

"We had no idea how displaced you were." Rarity remarked sadly.

"I haven't heard from them since they left, I had heard from a reliable sources that they had made it the North, but contact with them was never a possibility." Hearth said trying to sound a bit more positive.

"I'm sure they'll be more than happy to see you again." Applejack said reassuringly.

"We can throw a big party! A family reunion of the Hearths!" Pinkie Pie exclaimed in excitement.

"Perhaps we should hold off on a party until we get settled in, I'd rather not play pin the tail on the snowpony in subzero temperatures." Rainbow Dash remarked.

With all the carriages packed and ready to go, Lady Frost and Lord Tundra turned to Wingston to say their goodbyes.

"Rest assured that they will be in good hooves during their stay in the Frozen North." Lord Tundra promised to Wingston.

"As will your ponies here." Wingston replied bowing his head to them.

"We heard that Smolder has a good chance of returning, and that our little Sapphire is haybent on seeing this come to fruition." Lady Frost mentioned.

"I am very grateful for her help." Wingston replied.

"We shall keep you informed of her progress and if any new developments she and others might come up with." Lord Tundra said reassuringly.

"I would appreciate that." Wingston said humbly.

With the transition done, Lady Frost and Lord Tundra retreated back to their own carriage as the Royal Pegasi Ice Ponies signaled to one another that they were ready to take off. A running start had the carriages rolling, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, Rarity, Twilight, Pinkie Pie, and Applejack waved goodbye from inside the carriage to all the Flame Ponies outside. The carriages became airborne, flying over the fields towards the North leaving behind the Ashen Fields and its ponies.

"Wherever you are Smolder, I hope to Celestia you are safe." Wingston mumbled to himself.

Turning around, Wingston started to limp back towards the Castle, his new staff digging into the dirt easier and proving to be a perfect replacement to his old one. Slowing his pace, Wingston looked over his shoulder to see the Obelisks standing in the distance, the voice from the ruined Void mirror echoing how it would take Smolder, and how it did.

"Although I fear that you're in grave danger, and I am sad that you must face this alone." Wingston whispered with a sigh.


Inside the Main Hall of Castle Char, many Flame Ponies were working on repairing much of the damage. Many wandering eyes were focusing in on the group of Ice Ponies that were waiting patiently for Wingston to return. Many colts gazed longingly at the Icey mares, causing several to crash into walls while others fell off scaffolding, earning them some jeers and giggles from the Ice Ponies. Although, three Ice Ponies in particular were in their own little world.

"Sweet Celestia it's worse on the inside." Winter uttered in disbelief scanning the Main Hall.

"Winter!" Crisp snapped at him.

"Why must everything be black? The floors, the ceiling, the walls… what's left of them anyway. They must choose it to hide the dirt. I mean really, do they not have servants to at least sweep the dirt out?" Winter complained, shaking his hooves free from the dust that gathered on them.

"A little dirt never hurt." Bleak replied glancing at his own hoof.

"Honestly Winter, don't embarrass us on our first day. Keep your comments to yourself or I'll feed you your cloak." Crisp hissed threateningly to him.

Both Winter and Bleak looked at her with surprise, noticing the hostility in her voice, but her point came across as Winter cleared his throat and occupied himself with wiping the dirt from under his hooves. Several Flame Ponies busy with repairs to Castle Char were seen stealing glances at the group of Ice Ponies, whispers were abound about who they were and if any would be lucky enough to be working with some of them. Luckily, a familiar thudding rang out through the Main Hall, drawing every Ice Pony's attention once more as Wingston limped inside followed by General Horizon and the newly appointed Treasurer Golden Fleece.

"I would like to welcome you all to Castle Char, I am Wingston, the Steward. You already knew that, I am a bat for any of you who were wondering." Wingston said aloud coming to a stop a few feet away from the Ice Ponies.

Several Ice Ponies turned to one another nodding their heads, whispering to each other about how they had guessed or wouldn't have guessed that.

"If there is something that needs my immediate attention, do not hesitate to approach me. If it is something that doesn't threaten the Kingdom, I would have you seek out our General, Ray Horizon." Wingston explained further motioning to Ray over his shoulder.

"That's really something! She's probably my age and already a General!" Crisp whispered in admiration.

There was a sudden wolf-whistling that sprung up from the group of Ice Ponies on Ray's behalf. Ray flushed slightly at the cat calling while the Ice Ponies looked to one another to see who had done the deed. Winter was right next to the culprit, it being Bleak who smiled very mischievously at the Flame Pony General.

"You can't be serious?" Winter remarked in disbelief.

"There is a ray of light breaking through this bleak winter and I'm looking to the horizon." Bleak said longingly, his face relaxing into a love stricken grin.

"You fall in love with any mare you see, it's really pathetic." Crisp remarked, shaking her head disappointingly at Bleak.

"At least I don't repel every colt I come across like I was some diseased infested turkey." Bleak mumbled.

"Did you say something?" Crisp asked savagely, her mane flaring in anger.

"Winter said it, not me." Bleak said quickly, passing the buck to a bewildered Winter.

"I would never say such a thing to your face, only behind your back." Winter said in his defense.

"If you have any concerns, questions, or other issues I would have you reach out to our Treasurer Golden Fleece. She will be assigning you your positions, your accommodations, and any requests you may have to make your stay here more comfortable." Wingston said turning to the Flame Pony at his other shoulder.

"I wonder if they have a suggestion box?" Winter asked curiously looking around.

"Drop it." Crisp warned him.

"Stay away from the mines unless accompanied by a designated Flame Pony, and do not enter the Dark Marsh under any circumstance. Your help is already greatly appreciated. Any questions?" Wingston concluded, looking around at the lot of them.

Winter threw his hoof up immediately, only to have Crisp yank it back down quickly and watch her growl threateningly at him.

"Alright then, Golden Fleece will tell you where you need to go." Wingston concluded, bowing his head to the Ice Ponies before limping away.

"Hi every pony, I'm Golden Fleece, you can call me Goldie though. When you hear your name please come forward and I'll give you your assignment. Let me know if there's a problem and I'll address it right afterwards." Goldie said in a bubbly manner.

"She seems nice." Crisp remarked.

"Of course she is, we're doing this for free." Winter reminded her.

"That's what volunteering is, stupid." Bleak mumbled under his breath.

"I am this close to throwing down the gauntlet and having a match of hoof to cuffs with you!" Winter remarked showing him small space between his nearly touching hooves.

"Cut it out right now the both of you or swear to Celestia I will beat the living hay out of you until you kiss and make up!" Crisp hissed at them, grinding her teeth.

Winter and Bleak glanced at each other nervously, sliding away from each other at the thought of having to kiss. Several Ice Ponies had been called up, leaving towards different parts of the Castle while some left outside.

"Winter Snow Junior?" Goldie asked aloud, followed by a snort from Bleak.

"Winter is fine, thank you." Winter said, approaching Goldie; walking a very elegant stride.

"You'll be helping Ruby Simmer at the bakery." Goldie said handing him a stone slate.

"Is that a rock?" Winter asked looking weirdly at the slate.

"It's a rock slate. It has your information written on it." Goldie said to him, still holding it out.

"With what? Dirt?" Winter asked looking uneasy.

"Charcoal." Goldie replied.

"A bakery? Isn't there some sort of uptown restaurant in Canterlot you need me in, or something?" Winter asked hesitantly, looking rather hopeful.

"Uh… no." Goldie said flatly.

"JUST TAKE THE SLATE!" Crisp shouted from the back; prompting Winter to snatch the slate almost immediately with his magic.

"Just walk outside the Main Doors and head towards the Narrows." Goldie informed him, pointing down the dirt path.

"How… quaint." Winter mumbled bitterly, slowly marching towards the main doors.

"Crisp White?" Goldie asked, looking down at the next slate.

"Hi! That's me! Crisp! Crisp White! Ice Pony, but I'm sure you already knew that." Crisp said very eagerly; nervously giggling to herself.

"It says you requested to help with agriculture." Goldie remarked looking over the slate.

"Yes! You wouldn't believe how hard it is to grow something up North! It's just snow and ice all day long! No sun for weeks and then sometimes it never sets." Crisp rambled on nervously.

"Well I'm sure Mr. Pitchstone will be happy to have you helping him." Goldie said brightly.

"Oh thank you! I promise I won't let you down!" Crisp squealed in excitement taking the slate from her and almost sprinting out the main doors.

While the next Ice Pony's name was called, Bleak had shifted his way through the group of Ice Ponies; attempting to get closer to Ray. Eventually reaching the outside of the circle, Bleak did his best not to seem too eager to catch Ray's eyes. He tried some stretching, hoping to turn her head, but no luck. He then tried flurrying his mane, sending snowflakes trickling down to the ground, but still no dice. Deciding for a more drastic approach, Bleak formed a ball of ice in his hooves, balancing it on his wing; Bleak tossed it across the Main Hall as it shattered drawing every pony's attention for a brief moment.

"I wonder what that was?" Bleak asked innocently, carefully strolling up a little closer to Ray who was turned around trying to determine the origin of the noise.

"Probably some clumsy pony." Ray remarked with a small frown.

Ray turned back around to see Bleak standing near her, looking around the Main Hall, doing his best not to seem too interested in her. He caught her staring at him in a confused manner and it opened the door for Bleak to speak once more.

"Is my ice bothering you?" Bleak asked innocently, trying to wave away his cloudy mane.

"No, no… you're fine." Ray replied.

"Sorry, new place, new ponies, I'm a little nervous." Bleak said, trying to seem meek.

"I know the feeling. What did you volunteer for?" Ray asked, initiating small talk.

"Well… no it's not worth mentioning." Bleak said, trying to end the conversation there.

"No, really, tell me." Ray insisted, sounding curious.

"I volunteered to help clear some rocks." Bleak said in a sad tone.

"You don't sound too happy about it." Ray pointed out.

"You see I always wanted to be a knight for the North, but I come from a rather low class family. Only high class Ice Ponies can become knights or soldiers. So I spend my day's just shoveling snow, or in this case rocks." Bleak remarked with a defeated sigh.

"Bleak Weather?" Goldie called out looking around.

"Well, that's me. It was nice speaking with you." Bleak said with a sigh and a smile.

Bleak did his best to seem depressed, he knew that any minute Ray would crack and step in.

"Wait! I just remembered I needed an extra pony to help out with patrols!" Ray spoke up, rushing over to Goldie and placing her hoof over Bleak's slate.

"Right on time." Bleak thought to himself with a coy smile.

"Well he isn't trained to do that sort of thing, Ray." Goldie said looking unsure.

"I don't want to cause any trouble." Bleak said, hamming up his act.

"It's nothing dangerous, he'll be with seasoned soldiers, and it's something he's always wanted to do." Ray told Goldie.

Ray leaned in closer to whisper.

"He comes from a lower class of Ice Ponies." Ray said under her breath.

Goldie, having lived in the Frozen North for most of her life knew of the class structure present within the Kingdom and knew that this was a chance for the colt to have a shot of becoming a soldier pony.

"Alright then, no problem at all. I'll leave him in your capable hooves." Goldie said with a reassuring smile.

Ray thanked her before returning back to Bleak who tried to look appreciative and sheepish at the same time.

"You didn't have to do that." Bleak mumbled.

"Forget about it, but I'll warn you now that this isn't going to be easy. You'll have to work hard just like any other pony here." Ray said with a warm smile.

"You can count on me, General." Bleak said, throwing her a salute.

"Bleak you are one smooth criminal." Bleak thought to himself.

Bleak's smile quickly faded as a Flame Pony colt strolled over to the two of them.

"Solar? What are you doing here?" Ray asked curiously.

"Who the hay is this? The pony's face is like a statue, there is no emotion coming from it. He must be hardcore." Bleak thought to himself sizing him up.

Bleak watched as the Flame Pony named Solar leaned over and kissed the cheek of his beloved Ray. Ray's mane plumed with fire, her face flushing a deep red as she gave him a soft shove in her embarrassment.

"We had a lunch date." Solar reminded her.

"It's not noon yet." Ray said, unable to look him in the eye.

Solar looked towards the giant hole in the castle to gauge the height of the sun and came to the conclusion that she was right. Without a word he leaned in close, his face unchanging, Ray's face burning red hot, flames flaring on her back.

"How about brunch instead?" Solar offered.

"S-S-Sure." Ray mumbled nervously.

Ray glanced over at Bleak who was staring rather maniacally at Solar, one eye twitching while his mane showered snowflakes across the floor. Clearing her throat, Ray whistled aloud, drawing Spinel and Topaz to walk over.

"Yes, General?" Topaz asked, throwing a quick salute.

"This here is Bleak Weather, he's our newest recruit, get him situated and give him a crash course on how we do things." Ray instructed them.

"Right away, General." Topaz replied motioning to Bleak to follow.

"Good luck." Ray said encouragingly.

Bleak did not respond, following the Flame Ponies silently, his gaze fixated on Solar who remained expressionless the entire time.

"Go ahead, enjoy your time with my Ray, soon I will be as hardcore as you. Then I will win her heart and you will be nothing but a footnote on how I became the single most awesome pony to have ever lived." Bleak thought to himself before removing his gaze from Solar.

"So… where did you want to eat?" Ray asked curiously, fidgeting nervously.

"My place." Solar said in his normal monotone voice.

"Your place?" Ray asked in disbelief, flushing furiously.

Solar had already started walking towards the Main Entrance, leaving Ray to choose to follow him or cancel the brunch right then and there, but Ray's heart was thumping too loudly for her to hear what her brain was trying to tell her and followed him anyways.

PreviousChapters Next