• Published 17th Aug 2017
  • 870 Views, 72 Comments

The Phoenix King - Turtlehaus



Smolder has journeyed into the Void to help the mysterious Mira take back the Kingdom of Naught from the Dark King Null. Twilight and friends are racing to find clues to the Void, while an ancient evil sets its sights on Equestria.

  • ...
1
 72
 870

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 37: A Bleak Summer

Summer Hearth, daughter of Coal and Scoria Hearth, and younger sister to Warrick, was a unicorn pony and part of the Royal Guard assigned to protect the King and Queen, but was given the prestigious position of protecting Princess Sapphire. Her duties included escorting the Princess on trips to the Artic Bluff and the Noble Cliffside, she was to be present during most meetings, and would accompany her whenever she left the Kingdom of the Frozen North.

The position wasn’t as glamorous as some Royal Knights strived for, but it was one that Summer pounced upon when given the offer. At some point, Princess Sapphire would become Queen, which meant that Summer would become the Commander of the Royal Guard, a position that would have earned from years of loyal service, but it wasn’t the reason Summer had for taking it.

Walking the length of the corridor leading to the barracks, Summer looked worn out, having just returned from a three day mission from the Frozen Sea. A group of penguins had gotten turned around in a blizzard before finding themselves at the doors of Castle Fjord looking for help. Since having ‘lost’ Princess Sapphire, Summer offered her service to escorting the group of penguins the hundred miles back to the Frozen Sea,a whole three day journey, to make up for her carelessness. It was about two weeks ago when Summer had entered Princess Sapphire’s Royal Chamber to wake her and start the day, only to find the room without a Princess. Informing the King and Queen of her disappearance, neither Lord Tundra nor Lady Frost seemed too concerned over it, but Summer took it very personally.

Summer entered the barracks, dozens of other Royal Guards were already getting ready to leave while the Night Watch were suiting up for their shift. There were some friendly hellos that were tossed her way, a few welcomes, but Summer wasn’t in the mood to talk. Reaching the Mare’s Locker room, it was rather empty for the most part, there weren’t many mares that chose the life of a Solider Pony, but it was always Summer’s dream to be one. Her mother Scoria tried to make wear frilly dresses, to act like a Noble Mare, but Summer loved fighting. As per tradition within the Hearth family the eldest colt, upon turning sixteen, was to become a Soldier Pony, but that following year Summer put in her own application as well.

Opening her locker, Summer stared at the inside door where a tall mirror was fastened in. Her orange colored flames flicked to and fro, her hide was a snow white, somewhat of an oddity in Flame Ponies, but it made the orange of her eyes stand out even more. Her cutie mark bore a flaming sword encircled with a magical rune.

She had dark rings under her eyes, she looked very tired, but on the inside she was worried. The day that Princess Sapphire had disappeared, the King and Queen left that afternoon, to what Summer thought was to bring her back, but they were gone for nearly a week before returning without her. There were rumors, there were whispers, but the pony she was assigned to protect was still nowhere to be found.

Her horn began to glow an orange hue, Summer’s rather heavy armor, meant for long expeditions into the snow, fell to ground with a clatter. Half-heartedly tossing the pieces into her locker, while magically pulling her normal Royal Guard uniform out from the top shelf, Summer knew she’d have an early start the next morning with patrol.

“Summer? Is that you?” A voice spoke to her from the other end of the lockers.

Summer closed her locker a bit to see the Commander of the Royal Guard, Jena Brumal. She was an older Ice Pony pegasi mare, her hide was a turquoise while her cloudy mane was an ocean blue, and her cutie mark depicted a chess rook with snow covering it. Quickly snapping to attention, Summer saluted her.

“I just got back, ma’am, I was going to fill out my report before I went home for the night.” Summer stated quickly.

Commander Jena approached her, giving her a firm hug. Summer smiled to herself, trying her best to return the hug, but was feeling much too worn out.

“Did you get the penguins to the Frozen Sea?” Commander Jena asked pulling away from her.

“Yes, ma’am.” Summer replied.

“Did you bring enough rations to eat for your journey home?” Commander Jean asked, almost taking a motherly tone with her.

“The penguins insisted I eat raw fish with them, as a sign of their gratitude; I left with some leftovers and their thanks.” Summer replied looking a bit squeamish.

Commander Jena laughed; hugging her once more. Summer was very appreciative and grateful to the Commander. There was a sort of stigma to having mares in the Royal Guard or the Knights, but most of it came from the Noble Mares who found it to be very demeaning. While the exclusion of mares from any sort of military capacity had been phased out centuries ago, it wasn’t a career move that many mares with ‘privilege’ saw as a unladylike thing to concern themselves with. The colts, on the other hoof, loved having mares in their squads, not only because they wanted to show off hoping to win favor with them, but when it came down to a fight, they would fight just as hard or harder. When Summer applied to become a Soldier Pony, looking to be part of the Knights, Jena took her under her wing and helped her get to where she was today.

“The report can wait, Summer. You can have it to me by the end of the week, but take tomorrow off to recover from your long trip.” Commander Jena told her. “And that's an order.”

“Thank you, ma’am.” Summer said with an appreciative smile.

“Get yourself organized and get yourself home. A lot has happened since your absence.” Commander Jena told her, opening her locker door for her.

“Anything important?” Summer asked, magically putting her chest plate on.

“I’ve received word from Commander Sleet that your uncle, General Warrick Hearth, has come for a visit.” Commander Jena informed her. “He’s also retired.”

“I thought he was dead.” Summer mumbled, not seeming too interested in the news. “I’m sure my brother is freaking out though.”

Summer slipped her bracers on, tossing a flame resistant cloak over her back, bearing the sigil of the Royal Guard; a frozen shield with a snowflake upon it. With her magic, Summer tied a belt around her waist carrying her sheath and sword, it was mostly for show, but she had to use it once or twice in her tenor as a Royal Guard.

“Princess Sapphire has also returned as well.” Commander Jena mentioned with a smile.

At that moment, Summer was about to close her locker, but ended up slamming her hoof in the door from her sudden surprise. Cursing under her breath, clutching her pinched hoof, Summer tried to shake the pain away while Jena chuckled in amusement.

“Is Princess Sapphire really back?” Summer asked quickly, looking very hopeful.

“She returned earlier today, apparently she is orchestrating a very complicated rescue for the King of the Ashen Fields.” Commander Jena explained to her.

“Did she throw his stupid flank into another dimension?” Summer asked sounding rather protective.

“Not quite, but the King is trapped in another dimension.” Commander Jena corrected her.

“Really?” Summer asked sounding surprised.

“Chancellor Stone dropped by a little while ago, Princess Sapphire is currently with three honored guests she has brought back from Manehattan and is currently in her chambers.” Commander Jena informed her.

Summer turned to run off, getting only two steps before realizing who she was currently running from. Turning back quickly, Summer bowed her head to Commander Jena, before rushing over and hugging her. Commander Jena watched Summer race out of the locker room, smiling at the trouble Princess Sapphire was about to be in.


The amount of goose feathers that were fluttering through the air made it seem like a flock of geese had exploded in Sapphire’s room, but it was just the intensity in which this pillow fight had come to.

Princess Sapphire had taken a forward position, using her third dynasty stationary desk as cover, flanking Florence, Chapel, and Tea forcing them to fall back to the dining room table.

“Surrender!” Princess Sapphire shouted with a smile.

“We do not kneel to tyrants!” Chapel shouted defiantly.

“Especially ones that try to steal our friends’ special some pony!” Florence tacked on.

More pillows were thrown, but Princess Sapphire had already devised her victory. With a sudden fan of her wings, she kicked up the goose feathers that had settled upon the floor; reducing their visibility. Tossing a few pillows of her own with her magic, Princess Sapphire quickly scaled that wall, using the frost from her hooves to keep her on the surface. Tea, Florence, and Chapel had considerably more pillows than Princess Sapphire had, but were clearly outmatched by her magic.

“We need to draw her out.” Chapel whispered.

“Tea should do it; she’ll want to hit her with a pillow more than us.” Florence remarked.

“I’m not playing the decoy!” Tea hissed, not liking the idea.

Peeking over the table, the three mares looked around, trying to see through the storm of goose feathers that flew about.

“Get ready, every pony, she’s going to try and make a move on us.” Chapel warned them.

There was a sudden thud from behind them. Every pony whipped around to see Princess Sapphire standing before them, looking very triumphant, and levitating several of their own pillows with her magic.

“The move has been made, and the game is over!” Princess Sapphire declared. “Surrender or face-“

“I got her legs!” Florence shouted, diving at Sapphire’s hooves and holding them tightly.

“This is not part of the rul-“ Princess Sapphire began but was struck with a pillow by Tea.

Princess Sapphire was brought the ground, Chapel and Tea continuing their attack and hitting her with pillows. Florence wrestled with Sapphire who attempted to squirm away, trying to reach pillows of her own, all the while their laughter filling the air.

The doors of Sapphire’s room were thrown open, the sudden upheaval of wind tossing more feathers into the air as Summer rushed into the room.

“My Lady!” Summer shouted sliding to a stop.

Glancing around the room, Summer could see three unfamiliar ponies ‘fighting’ with Princess Sapphire. Chapel, Tea, and Florence looked over at the sudden arrival of a Flame Pony, watching the goose feathers that floated down onto her burst into flames. Summer was already drawing her sword with her magic, pointing it towards them, looking very angry with them.

“It was Tea’s idea!” Chapel shouted dropping the pillow from her hooves and pointing towards Tea.

“What?” Tea asked looking worried.

“Summer?” Princess Sapphire asked in surprise getting to her hooves.

“Don’t worry, my Lady, I’ll dispose of them for you.” Summer said coldly.

Florence, Chapel, and Tea quickly rushed behind Princess Sapphire, not wanting to be disposed of, but Sapphire didn’t seem at all worried about it.

“These are my friends, Summer; there is no need for it.” Princess Sapphire explained to her.

“They can’t be your friends!” Summer shouted sounding angry. “Because I’m your friend, and you’ve… you’ve never… had pillow… fights… with me.”

Summer sword dropped to the floor, her magic waning, she sounded like she was about to cry which immediately caused Princess Sapphire to rush over to her. Summer felt Princess Sapphire’s arms come wrapping around her, trying to calm her down, as Summer clung to her sobbing.

“Why did you leave? I would have gone with you! An Orc, a dragon, you could have been killed! I had to hang out with penguins! Penguins! They made me eat fish!” Summer sobbed.

Tea, Florence, and Chapel had no idea what was going on, but it was obvious that the Flame Pony was rather upset.

“I’m so sorry, Summer. I was scared and I ran off without telling you.” Princess Sapphire said to her, trying to calm her down. “Can you ever forgive me?”

“Of course I forgive you!” Summer snapped clutching her tighter.

Princess Sapphire pulled away from Summer, smiling at her warmly; she seemed to be calming down. There were a few goose feathers still falling, some burning from Summer’s flames. Princess Sapphire’s horn flashed, all the still usable feathers were suddenly racing back into the pillows they had come from, and the ashes of the burnt ones being swept into the fire place.

“Summer, I would like you to meet Tea Herbal, Christie Chapel, and Florence Gale; friends I made in Manehattan.” Princess Sapphire introduced them to her; they gave Summer a small wave.

“Can I dispose of them now?” Summer asked coldly, lifting her sword at them with her magic once more.

Princess Sapphire placed her hoof on the hilt of the sword, lowering it with a shake of her head no.

“Every pony, I would like to introduce you to Summer Hearth of the Royal Guard, my personal protector; my friend.” Princess Sapphire stated.

Princess Sapphire lit the logs in her fireplace, offering every pony to come sit. At this point the kitchen had finally arrived with delicious treats for Princess Sapphire and her guests, some hot cocoa to wash it all down with. While every pony ate, Princess Sapphire retold the story of her leaving, the events that transpired in the Ashen Fields, and her visit to Manehattan for Summer. It was rather awkward with the glares Summer was giving them for time to time, but Tea, Florence, and Chapel sat quietly listening to the story once again.

“Just so we’re clear, you didn’t marry the King of Flame Ponies?” Summer asked her.

“No, Smolder chose not to have the arranged marriage.” Princess Sapphire reassured her.

“He didn’t try to get fresh with you, did he?” Summer asked.

“O-O-Of course not!” Princess Sapphire shouted; her face flushing.

Florence and Chapel giggled to themselves over what Summer has said while Tea was able to just smile into her cup of cocoa.

“An-An-Anyways, the pillow fight was not planned, it was rather spontaneous, but if I ever schedule one in the future I’ll be sure to include you. You would prove to be a most challenging opponent.” Princess Sapphire concluded to her.

“How long have you two known each other?” Tea asked, raising her cup to drink again.

“I was tasked with protecting Princess Sapphire one year ago.” Summer stated proudly.

“Is Princess Sapphire bossy?” Florence asked curiously.

“I’m not bossy!” Princess Sapphire snapped.

“I am required to do whatever Princess Sapphire requests of me, no matter how tedious or boring her requests might be at times.” Summer replied trying to sound proud of it.

“Boring!” Princess Sapphire gasped in shock.

You and your little ice sculptures.” Summer groaned moving her hooves around like she was puppeteering them. “I’ve never seen a pony drone on about carving ice so passionately; other than his Majesty.”

Now Tea was the one who couldn’t help but giggle this time; Florence and Chapel were quick to follow.

“I do not drone on about my ice sculptures!” Princess Sapphire shouted, flushing furiously.

Oh, this pony’s face was so hard to carve; he has such shallow cheeks that make it difficult not to just shave off his whole head. You have to use the lightest of touches to make sure this pony’s flank doesn’t look like a grape.” Summer imitated her voice, miming the action of sculpting something so small.

Now Tea, Florence, and Chapel were laughing out loud; only fueling Princess Sapphire’s embarrassment.

“Well… at least my breath doesn’t smell like fish!” Princess Sapphire snapped at her.

“Hey!” Summer shouted rising to her hooves. “It was my duty to eat those fish! For the glory of the Frozen North!”

“Well good luck kissing your precious Bleak with that mouth of-“ Princess Sapphire was cut short with Summer suddenly grabbing her mouth.

“I told you to never mention him!” Summer hissed, her mane flaring wildly.

“Who’s Bleak?” Chapel asked feeling there was some juicy gossip to be had.

“No pony that concerns you!” Summer snapped at her, eyes flaring, fire fizzling.

“I bet it’s her special some pony.” Florence teased as Tea and Chapel ‘ooo’ at her.

“Can I stab them? I think I’m going to stab them.” Summer asked quickly looking at Princess Sapphire before drawing her sword with her magic.

“There will be no stabbing of any kind, Summer; it is how normal ponies tease one another.” Princess Sapphire stated, pulling Summer’s hooves away from her mouth.

“Why would you want to be friends with them?” Summer asked looking annoyed.

“I don’t know; why does Bleak like kissing mares with fish breath?” Chapel asked her.

This time Princess Sapphire had to hold Summer back as she tried to lunge at Chapel.

“Summer! These ponies are my friends, just like you are, and I will ask that you behave yourself!” Princess Sapphire shouted, struggling to keep Summer from using her sword.

Summer stopped her struggling, sheathing her sword, and mumbling how she could have made it look like an accident. Princess Sapphire put herself between Summer and the other three, making sure that she would be able to step in if Summer tried to dispose of them again.

“So?” Chapel asked.

“So what?” Summer asked sounding annoyed again.

“Who’s Bleak?” Chapel asked once more.

Pursing her lips, Summer’s mane flared a bit, before she looked away narrowing her eyes at the fire.

“He’s… just a colt.” Summer mumbled.

“Do you love him?” Florence asked with a sudden lilt in her voice.

“…yes.” Summer said quietly.

Florence and Chapel seemed surprised that Summer had admitted to it. Tea noticed that Princess Sapphire looked a little solemn about Summer’s response.

“Is… everything alright?” Tea asked curiously.

Summer turned her head; refusing to answer.

“It is my fault.” Princess Sapphire said looking sad.

“What? No! No, it’s not!” Summer shouted in surprise turning back to look at her.

“Why is it your fault, Princess Sapphire?” Florence asked her.

“It’s not!” Summer snapped at her.

“When Summer was offered the position of being my protector, it meant that she would spend a vast majority of her time by my side. This meant that she would be sacrificing her social life for my sake; which in turn had ended whatever relationship Summer had with Bleak.” Princess Sapphire said solemnly.

“I-I-I dumped him because he’s a lecherous con artist with no redeeming qualities!” Summer stated loudly, insisting upon it.

“Then why did you date him to begin with?” Chapel asked curiously.

“I-“ Summer started up, her mane flaring; face flushing. “I knew him, I didn’t date him.”

“Did you want to?” Florence asked curiously.

“I would rather eat fish for the rest of my life then to ever have to go on a date with that worthless, good for nothing, con artist Ice Pony!” Summer shouted flushing at the thought.


Bleak Weather was patrolling the edge of the Dark Marsh with Corporal Hicks and Corporal Reese. Patrols were rarely ever exciting; it was mostly a lot of walking, and checking of things but mostly talking. Corporal Hicks and Reese were more than happy to go over the basics of the patrol for Bleak, telling him what to look out for, where to look, what to listen for, and how to remain alert. Corporal Reese would add in things like, how slow a pony could walk to eat into the patrol, how to make a boring patrol look better on the report, where to take naps when no pony was looking; the important things.

“Did the Commander bite your head off?” Hicks asked curiously. "For the gambling?"

“I got a talking to.” Bleak replied not sounding too worried about it. “We straightened things out. It’s a bit… difficult coming from such a different place.”

“I heard things are a lot stricter up North.” Reese mentioned.

“The loosest thing you’ll find up North is the fresh snow.” Bleak replied. “It’s an old Ice Pony saying.”

“I’d like to visit the North at some point.” Hicks said thinking about it.

“If you like snow than the North is for you.” Bleak stated.

“Hicks just likes the Ice Pony mares.” Reece mentioned with a smirk.

“Like you don’t.” Hicks was quick to fire back.

“You should go as soon as you can. Ice Ponies like new things, having kept to ourselves for so long we’ve gotten interested in things other than ourselves for once.” Bleak mentioned.

Reece and Hicks looked at one another in happy surprise.

“You think we’d have a shot?” Hicks asked curiously.

Bleak stopped short of his walk, turning to look at the very hopeful looking Hicks and Reese; a smirk on his face.

“Ice Pony mares are smart, good looking, but crave variety. You’re unique, you’re different, and you’re both single which makes you prime candidates.” Bleak said reassuringly.

Hicks and Reese smiled at one another, looking rather confident about their future trips to find themselves a special some pony.

“Never mind the fact that most Ice Pony mares are bitterly cold hearted monsters that live and breathe on their desire for revenge if you ever wrong them in any way shape or form.” Bleak added, turning to continue the patrol.

Hicks and Reese looked at one another again, quiet horror being exchanged from one another.

“They’re not all like that... right?” Hicks asked hopefully, catching up to Bleak.

“All the ones I’ve dated were.” Bleak replied with a smirk.

“H-H-How many dates have you had?” Reese asked in surprise.

“I don’t know, a couple dozen?” Bleak replied thinking about it.

Reese and Hicks pointed towards one another, mouthing numbers of dates they’ve had trying to add up a total between themselves; they came up with a half a date.

“Yeah well… dating a Fire Pony mare isn’t very easy.” Reese said in a matter of fact tone.

“If you only knew the kind of attitude they have.” Hicks added.

“I’ve dated a Flame Pony.” Bleak replied.

“Nuh uh!” Reese said sounding immature.

“Her name was Summer, she had snow white hide, and fire so orange you’d think it was made of the juice.” Bleak said with a longing sigh.

“Whatever happened to her?” Hicks asked curiously.

Bleak didn’t respond right away, he slowed his steps before coming to a halt. Hicks and Reese stopped a few steps ahead of him wondering what was wrong.

“She was a Noble, a soldier, a knight, and I was just a… a nobody. She caught me doing some… illegal things several times, but she never turned me in. We got to talking eventually, when I wasn’t technically under arrest, and we hit it off well enough.” Bleak said thinking back on it. “But she was offered a job, a really important job that she really wanted to have, but she wouldn’t take it because she wouldn’t be able to see me anymore.”

“So what did she do?” Hicks asked curiously.

I dumped her.” Bleak said with a sigh.

You dumped her?” Reese asked in surprise.

“A colt can dump a mare!” Bleak stated defensively.

“Well, yeah, but… it like never happens, we’re usually the ones getting dumped.” Hicks replied.

“Well I dumped her, end of the story. Let’s get back to our walking patrol thing we do.” Bleak said sounding flummoxed from even bringing it up.

Hicks and Reese watched Bleak pass them by; it was obvious to them that he wasn’t actually over this Summer mare of his. Catching up to Bleak once more, the three colts walked a ways, not talking, and just letting the ambient noise of the Dark Marsh fill the silence.

“So… is that why you came down to the Ashen Fields?” Reese asked after a while.

Bleak narrowed his eyes at him.

“I came down here to make a bit of coin, if you must know. I was supposed to move rocks, but you could say that I… sweet talked my way into this job.” Bleak replied.

“So from crook to soldier, huh?” Hicks asked curiously.

“Please.” Bleak said looking offended. “Con artist. It’s got the word art in it.”

“Well, now that you’re a soldier pony, what do you plan to do?” Hicks questioned him.

Bleak thought about it for a moment, he knew his answer, but he wasn’t sure if being completely honest with them was the way to go. He was being rather honest up until this point, they didn’t seem to mind all that much, I’m sure they looked at him differently for it but not down at him. It was the second chance Flare had given him, and he felt the need to at least try to be honest for more than an hour.

“Start over.” Bleak said simply. “And ask Summer to take me back when I’ve done something worthwhile with my life.”

“I guess you’ve got your heart set on this Summer mare, huh?” Hicks asked, sounding impressed with his resolve to better himself.

“My heart is for Summer, but the rest of me is for any mare that wants a taste of Winter.” Bleak said with a lecherous smile.

Hicks and Reese started laughing at Bleak; finding it to be the most awkward thing they’ve heard him say all day. Bleak couldn’t help but join them in their laughter. The three colts continued to patrol the Dark Marsh, ripping into Bleak’s exaggerated view of himself, feeling the warm rays of the summer sun beating down upon them.

PreviousChapters Next