• Published 7th Aug 2017
  • 545 Views, 4 Comments

After the fight - BronyAugustus



Vinyl scratch has been changed by the pony-gryffon war. Five years after the war has ended, memories still haunt her. Can she overcome the ghosts of her past to have a second chance with, the mare she once loved.

  • ...
 4
 545

Confessions

The Prench Terrace, 10:30 PM

Cheval, having let his staff go home after they closed at 10, approached Octavia's table.

"Madame Octavia, I know you've had a rough night, but I need you to go home. Maybe a good night's rest will help you feel better."

"I'm so sorry Cheval! I didn't realize it was so late!"

"Non non non, you had a rough night. Do you want me to help you get home?"

"No, that's alright. What about you? Are you headed out yet?"

"No, I've got some dishes to wash, and a few phone calls to make."

"Alright then. I'll go home."

"Take care!"

"I will!"

She sighed as she went out the door and into the night.

Canterlot Heights Apartments, 11:10 P.M.

Upon seeing Octavia approach, the door stallion sprang to attention.

"Miss Melody, what are you doing out this late!"

"I'll tell you about it later, right now I just want to sleep."

He opened the door for her, and she made her way up to her apartment, entering without realizing the door was unlocked.

She walked in to her room and was surprised to find Vinyl lying on her bed. She stood, astonished, for several seconds before remembering their deal. Once she did, she turned to leave, only to hear Vinyl whimper in her sleep.

She turned back around, and saw Vinyl twitching, her face conveying a sense of fear.

As Octavia watched, Vinyl tossed and turned, crying out in her sleep, shivering despite the warmth of the room.

This awoke pity in Octavia's heart, as she watched Vinyl's distress grow. She climbed onto the bed, right behind Vinyl, and began to stroke Vinyl's wild, tangled mane. This seemed to calm the mare down, as she quit moving as much. Octavia lost track of time as she lay there, enjoying the presence of one so dear.

Canterlot Heights Apartments 3:00 A.M.

Vinyl awoke, chased by the same nightmare as most nights. It was the night of the attack, complete in every detail, down to the last drop of blood. But this time was different. It was as though there was a presence close to her, reminding her that it was just a nightmare, a haunting echo of the past, nothing more. As she reflected on this, she realized there was somepony in the bed with her.

She quickly rolled over, and quickly realized that it was Octavia, who was still awake.

She spoke in a soft voice: "Hey V, listen, I'm sorry about this whole thing with us..." Vinyl put a hoof on her lips.

"Food first, apology later."

"Um, I've got some microwaveable meals. Will that do?"

"Sure!"

10 minutes later

Octavia and Vinyl sat and ate their impromptu meal, both happy to have something to eat. About halfway through, Octavia spoke up.

"You were having a nightmare, weren't you."

Vinyl dropped her fork. "Yes, I was. It happens when ever I try to sleep without getting drunk first."

"Have you ever tried to get counseling?"

"Once. It didn't work out."

"Oh."

"Listen, I know that, after the argument we had earlier, you probably don't want me around here, but..."

"No, It's alright."

"Seriously!"

"Yes. I don't think you meant what you said, either last night or that night 5 years ago. You were hurting, and I didn't make things any better."

"No it wasn't your fault. I was so engrossed in my hurting that I didn't notice you were trying to help. And you did help. It was memory of your love that kept me going, even when I hit my lowest. When I was suicidal, I would think of you, and it would snap me out of it..."

She trailed off as she caught sight of a far away look in Octavia's eyes.

"What?"

"I was remembering the night you left. I nearly... Killed myself."

Vinyl gasped.

"I took the painkillers from the bathroom into my room, and set them up on the night stand. I spent the rest of the night trying to work up the nerve to take them. I was up all night. I had almost worked up the nerve when Lyra came over. Apparently we made enough noise to wake up the neighbors."

"Did you tell her what you were thinking about?"

"No, I didn't want to make her worry about me. And by the time she left, I had come back to my senses. But I never told anyone. You're the first to hear this."

"Tavi, I'm sorry..."

"I came back to Canterlot because I was hoping to run into you. I figured you would make your way back to Canterlot eventually. So, when mom wanted me to move back here, I was quick to accept. All, these years, I've been waiting on you."

"Tavi, I don't know what to say."

"We both have problems, and we're both going to fight from time to time, but we both love each other, and we both need somepony. So maybe we can help each other get through this. No judging, no more attempts to change you in a way you don't want. What do you say?"

"I feal like it's time for me to change."

"So, do we have a deal?"

Vinyl thought on it, and for Octavia the seconds seemed like an eternity. Then, without a word, Vinyl leaned in and kissed her. Octavia took that as a yes...

The Prench Terrace, 10:45 P.M.

"Yes, Mademoiselle Melody, I'm absolutely sure. I have no doubt it was her with your Daughter. Yes, it was Vinyl. Setting aside the fact that your daughter introduced her, she matches the picture perfectly. If you doubt me, I have several waiters who could attest to this...Yes ma'am, they came in together. They seemed pretty happy coming in. They had a blowout not long after they came in, but your daughter seemed genuinely sorry about what had transpired...if you want my opinion, if the two can get over their differences, they would make a good couple... No, your daughter didn't drink any... No, I don't know where miss Scratch is staying... Listen, what do you have against this mare, she doesn't seem all that bad, she's just got a lot of issues. And your daughter is a patient mare. She's probably just what this mare needs...Yes ma'am, I'll let you know if they come in together again."

With this he hung up the phone and sighed. "Tavi, dear friend, I hope I haven't gotten you and your friend into too much trouble. Your mother is a very powerful mare, very powerful indeed. And her anger is a very dangerous force.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment