• Published 22nd Apr 2017
  • 2,835 Views, 262 Comments

Elements of Heroism: Season 1 - Bahamut0



A thousand years ago, Princess Celestia was forced to seal away her sister. Now, the old Elements of Harmony have awakened. However, new elements have begun to form. And a new legend is about to begin. ROCK THE DRAGON!

  • ...
14
 262
 2,835

Episode 16: Chains of Fear, Bonds of Family

Dark Ice took a deep breath before gazing out at his destination. Cloudsdale. His home. It had been many years since he'd been here. And yet here he was. The place where all his trauma was rooted. Ice sighed as he reluctantly began his journey. "Time to go home..." Ice made sure to stay out of sight. If anyone were to catch sight of him, the whole city would be on his tail! Fortunately, his nightmare abilities allowed him to move relatively unnoticed. And soon enough, he found himself at the place where his fear had originated. His old home. Cloud houses were easy to rebuild, but Ice's traumatized mind was another matter. Ice's legs felt like lead weights as he found himself rooted to the spot he was in. The trauma from all those years ago made the long-passed storm eternally fresh in his mind. And contraty to what he'd been told, his new form only kept him rooted in place. Why? Why am I still afraid? This new power was supposed to free me from my trauma! It was supposed to give me the strength to face my family again! Slowly but surely, Ice began to move. Each step made it feel like he was moving a mountain as he strained to reach the door of his old home. Stupid body! Move, darn it! MOVE! Ice's body put up even more resistance as he reached the doorstep. Just...a little...farther.... As Ice stretched out his right arm, he found his left arm trying to restrain it! What in Equestria is going on with me?! With much effort, Ice finally rang the doorbell! A young navy blue pegasus with black hair and yellow eyes wearing a black beanie cap, blue jeans, and a shirt with a lightning cloud on it answered. "Long time no see Shadow."

Shadow Thunder paused for minute, but smiled once he recognized his brother. "Ice!" Shadow hugged Ice tightly! "You're back!" Tears of joy started to fall down Shadow's face. "You're really back..." Shadow wiped his tears. "Mom and Dad are here! Come on!" Ice found himself being dragged inside his old home by Shadow. Oddly enough, whatever invisible weight he had earlier was lessened. "We've gotta tell Ace!"

"NO!" Ice screamed. Shadow shot a confused look at Ice. "I mean..." Ice sighed. "...Never mind. Just...get our parents."

Shadow nodded before looking Ice over. "Soooo, are you into cosplay now?"

"...Not exactly." Ice sat down on the couch. "Just...make sure you tell Mom and Dad that I look a little different." Shadow nodded and went to fetch their parents. As Ice sat on the couch, memories flowed into his mind. I remember when Ace, Shadow, and I built a pillow fort out of all the pillows in the house. Our parents were laughing so hard when it came down around us. The three of us used to run around like crazy! A small smile graced Ice's face. There had been so many happy times here. But the smile soon faded as the one memory that had impacted Ice the most surfaced. The storm. It had happened so long ago, but Ice could still see it playing out in front of him. As if it had only occurred yesterday. And his new form allowed him to re-live it quite vividly. Ice could feel fierce winds howling against his face as he frantically ran inside his house. He could see Ace and Shadow cowering as the storm raged closer. Once he had found the two, Ice then saw the swirling fury that inched ever closer and then....nothing. Ice was shaken by his brother. "Huh? Did I space out?"

"I'd say so." Shadow said with a nod. "Anyway, Mom and Dad are on their way." Shadow and Ice's parents froze when they saw what Ice had become. "Yeah. Ice looks a little different...but he's back!"

"Yes....I suppose that's all that matters." the boys' father said. "Shadow? We'd like to talk to your brother in private." Shadow left for his room, but stayed out of sight instead and listened in on the conversation. His father then turned to Ice. "Truth be told, we never expected to see your face ever again. So what sort of trouble are you in now?"

Ice froze. "How...how did you know that?"

"We're your parents Ice." his mother said. "We ALWAYS know. Plus, you always were the reckless one of your brothers."

Ice sighed. "I...right now I'm not rolling with the best crowd. They're the reason I look the way I do. They said...if I joined...I wouldn't be scared anymore. And...I did some things I'm not proud of. They also..." Ice struggled to keep himself from puking his guts out. "...They also told me to kill Ace if he got in our way...." Ice hung his head in shame and disgust. "They wanted me to destroy the Elements of Harmony. I never succeeded."

Ice's mother put a hand on her son's shoulder. "Ice...just what are you so afraid of?"

"Here. You. Dad. Shadow." Ice answered. "Ever since that storm hit, I've been a failure. I...failed to keep my brothers safe."

Shadow stepped out of his hiding place. "That's not true and you know it!" Shadow went up to Ice and grabbed him by the shirt! "You went in to save me and Ace! You looked out for us!"

"AND WHAT DID I DO WHEN THAT STORM WAS INCHES FROM US?!" Ice screamed! "Nothing! I just stood there frozen! I'm your big brother! I was supposed to be there for you! And what did I do when you needed me most? Stand frozen with fear while the storm loomed over us." Tears started to stream down Ice's face. "Night Terror was right. I AM weak..." Ice sighed. "....Just walking up the doorstep made me feel like my body was made of lead. Each time I see this place, that memory keeps playing in my head! Over and over! It never ends!" Ice fell to his knees in despair. "It never ends...and I don't know what to do..." Ice and Shadow's parents helped the boy up.

"You knew EXACTLY what to do son." his father said. "You came home. Maybe you froze-up when that storm hit. But you didn't let that stop that from going in to look for Ace and Shadow. Fear is only natural son. What isn't natural is letting it control you for all your life."

Ice came to a realization. "...Ace was right....all I've done is run....ever since that day." Ice looked to his family. "If you don't mind...I need a place to stay. Can I crash here for a while?"

Shadow smiled as he playfully punched his brother in the arm. "Only if you stick around for The Best Young Fliers Competition! I'm gonna be giving it a shot this year! Oh! And Mom and Dad kept your room around in case you ever came back!"

Ice managed a small smile. "...Thank You..." Night soon fell over Cloudsdale, and Ice found himself lying upon his old bed. But the second he went to sleep, he was tormented by nightmares. Nightmare about the storm. Instead of Ace saving them, Ace and Shadow were sucked away! Ice grabbed onto them, but the force of the wind sucked them away! And in the distance, Ice could hear laughter. Ice snapped his head tot he source and found Night Terror commanding the storm! "No...." Ice fell to his knees. "NO...." Ice screamed to the heavens. "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!"

"ICE!" Ice woke up in a cold sweat and found Shadow shaking him awake. "Thank goodness."

"Shadow?! You! Ace! The storm!" Ice panted heavily. "It all felt so real..."

"You were having a nightmare bro. A really bad one from the looks of it." Shadow breathed a sigh of relief. "At least it's over now."

Ice held himself tightly. "I'm not so sure...." Shadow slapped Ice on the back! "Ow!"

"Then I'm gonna watch over you all night long. Like a hawk." Shadow said with a smile. Shadow went over to a chair and watched over Ice until he himself began to doze off. Ice smiled as he put a blanket over his baby brother.

"I guess even I need people to look out for me..." Ice said with a small smile as he once again drifted off to sleep. However, no nightmares tormented him from then on. Ice awoke the next morning to see Shadow had left and was practicing outside. "Heh. He's really going all-out for the competition."

Nightmare Forces' Fortress...

Night Terror scowled at the images he'd found of Ice. "So the puppet is breaking his strings. No matter." Night Terror then looked to images of the Elements of Harmony and Elements of Heroism heading for Cloudsdale. "So many targets in one location." A devious smile crept upon Night Terror's face. "And I have the perfect force in mind..." Night terror brought forth three orbs of darkness and molded them into three forms. "Nightmare Moon used these to try and tempt the Element of Loyalty. But you three shall serve a different purpose. Go. And eliminate the elements!" The three forms nodded and flew through the portal Night Terror had opened to Cloudsdale.

Back at Cloudsdale, the Elements of Harmony and Elements of Heroism had arrived and were making their way to the stadium. Rarity was admiring her new wings thanks to a spell from Twilight. And thanks to a cloud-walking spell, the group was able to tread on the city without falling to the ground. Rainbow Dash was psyching herself up for when the competition came around. Needless to say, Ace was also pretty happy. "It's good to be back home. My little brother's going to be in the competition this year!"

"In that case we'll be sure to cheer for him too.", Burst said with a smile. The group soon arrived at the stadium. Rainbow Dash was starting to get nervous about her trick while Rarity was off getting herself presentable for the crowd. Shadow noticed Ace and ran up to hug him!!

"Ace!" Shadow cheered!

"Nice to see you again little bro." Ace said with a smile. "So anything interesting happen?"

Shadow nodded. "Yup. Ice came home!" Ace froze. "He said he'd done some bad things, but he's trying to make up for them."

"...Really now?" Ace asked. "That's...interesting....anyway! Good luck in the competition."

Shadow beamed! "Thanks!" Shadow then paused as he saw three odd figures sneaking about the stadium. "Just gotta wait for my number to get called up." Ace and his friends left Shadow to his own devices. Shadow went to Rainbow Dash. "Hey. Wanna trade spots?" Rainbow Dash grinned as she accepted Shadow's number. At the same time, Ice sensed something. The presence of a nightmare creature.

"Mom? Dad? I gotta go. I wanted to give Shadow some last-minute encouragement." Ice got up and headed to the prep room. Shadow in the meantime, had trailed the shadowy figures through the backdoor of the stadium. However, there was no trace of them!

"What?" Shadow looked around, but still saw no sign. "But...I was sure I saw them go this way." Shadow was then knocked out by a punch from behind. The three elite shadowbolts came out of hiding.

"Looks like we've got ourselves a spy." the lead Shadowbolt said with a sneer. "He won't be around long enough to warn anyone." The Shadowbolts prepared to throw Shadow off the edge when Ice arrived on the scene!

"Not another step!" Ice threatened! The Elite Shadowbolts glared at Ice!

"So you show your true colors traitor." the lead Shadowbolt spat. "All we're trying to do is free you from your shackles. That being petty things like family or friends. There's no place for such weakness in out forces."

Ice summoned his shadow claw. "Then there's no place for me..." Ice charged at the lead Elite Shadowbolts, but the other two rushed him! Ice slashed at them and scored a hit, but it did little to no damage! "What?!" Ice then saw that his shadow claw had vansihed! The lead Elite Shadowbolt chuckled.

"Fool! Did you really think we'd let you hold on to your power after you betrayed us? You can keep the form, but the power is gone!" Ice was winded by a punch by one of the Elite Shadowbolts! "Now to tie up this loose end." The lead Elite Shadowbolt tossed Shadow over the edge!

"SHADOOOW!" Ice screamed! In a burst of rage, he broke free of the hold the other two Elite Shadowbolts and dove down! Not again! I won't fail! Not this time! NOT THIS TIME! Ice caught up to Shadow and caught him just in time! Ice flared out his wings and flew back up to the stadium! The Elite Shadowbolts froze in shock when they saw Ice land! "You three aren't going anywhere..." Ice growled as he set Shadow down. "NO ONE HURTS MY FAMILY!" Ice charged at the Elite Shadowbolts! However, his punches did litte damage to them! Combined with the fact that they outnumbered him didn't make the situation anymore favorable! Ice took a powerful punch to the face and was knocked to his knees by a punch to the gut! Ice groaned as the lead Elite Shadowbolt grabbed him by his hair.

"Prepare for your last breaths traitor." The lead Shadowbolt summoned a blade made of shadow, but his arm was cut off and black essence leaked from where the limb was once attached! "GAAAUUUGHH!" Ice was released and saw someone he hadn't expected to even come to his side! Ace readied his sword and shield.

"Who's next?" The Elite Shadowbolts charged at Ace! Striking at him with shadow claws! But Ace blocked them with his shield and cut them down with his sword! Making them explode in bursts of darkness! The lead Shadowbolt opened his mouth and inhaled the essencse of his destroyed copies! His body then began to twist and gnarl! Lightning crackled among the feathers of his wings and his teeth became fangs!

"I am called Rage Tempest! And now you will experience my fury!" Rage Tempest shot a bolt of dark lightning from his hands! The blast sent Ace flying into a wall! Ace managed to recover, but Rage Tempest broght his fist down on Ace! Pinning him to the ground! "Now to finish y-!?!" Rage Tempest was caught off guard when he saw Ice grab one of his wings and hold him by the waist! "What...what's a sinveling coward like you doing thinking you can hold me?! I already knocked you around!" Rage Tempest then elbowed Ice in the gut! Ice was winded, but he still kept his grip! "Oh. So now you decide to grow a spine. In that case!" Rage Tempest once again elbowed Ice in the gut! "Allow me to break it!" Ice howled in pain as he took repeated hits to the chest! But despite the pain, he kept his hold on Rage Tempest! "Heh! What do you think keeping this feeble hold on me is going to accomplish?"

Ice glared at Rage Tempest. "Everything. ACE! NOW!" Rage Tempest barely had anytime to react as Ace's sword slashed through his body! If I go...at least I go knowing I made things right in some way... Ice thought as he fell to his knees. Surprisingly, he felt two pressures next to him. Ice opened his eyes and found Ace and Shadow carrying him. "Ace?...Shadow? What're you doing?"

"Easy. We're getting you some help." Ace answered. "Burst knows some healing magic."

"Why...why are you helping me? I tried to waste you and your friends..."

"You're family Ice." Shadow said with a nod. "We always look out for each other. Just like when you searched for us in the house when the storm hit." Ice was awed by the words of his brothers.

"Think you can fix him up Burst?" Ace asked. Burst was silent as he walked over to Ice's immobile body and saw the dark substance seeping from his wound. "Burst?" Burst powered up his magic, covering his hand in a blue aura.

"Hold him still. It'll sting a bit..." Burst's channeled a healing spell and put his hand on Ice's wound. Ice winced as the spell worked its magic. A few seconds later, the wound was healed. Burst nodded in approbal. "Good as new." Burst got up to leave, but Ice wasn't done.

"Wait!" Burst turned to face Ice. "Why? Why did you bother healing me when all I've done is attack you?"

Burst took a deep breath. "If we don't have compassion, even for our enemies, we're no better than the villains we fight against. And if you're willing to risk yourself for your family, maybe you're not as scared as you think you are. But it's still up to you to wake up." Burst returned to his seat to see Rainbow Dash go up. The whole group was in awe when she pulled off her Sonic Rainboom and wound up saving the Wonderbolts and Rarity in the process! As the group was about to go, Burst stopped in front of Ice. "You know, you could come with us. Chances are the Nightmare Forces aren't going to welcome you back with open arms."

Ice shook his head. "I think I need some time alone." Ice looked to Ace and Shadow before he left. "But I won't be gone for too long." Ice took off. Suddenly, the voice Ice had been hearing went off in his head.

You're on the right track Ice. You're on the right track.