• Published 28th Mar 2017
  • 2,389 Views, 329 Comments

Equestria Rangers - Shadowmane PX-41



Following a meteor shower in the city of Canterlot, Sunset Shimmer and her friends are about to transform into a new generation of heroes...

  • ...
9
 329
 2,389

Prologue: We Are Not Alone Part 1

Space. A rather infinite cosmos. One might say that it is impossible to explore all of it, but in a way, that is what retains its beauty. With every star system, we see new life and death, new hope and despair, new stories to be told and forgotten. Stars would alight your journey every step of the way should you wish to take a journey through the seemingly endless reaches of the unknown.

The silence that covered the reaches was then shattered with the roar of spaceship engines as a swarm of silver and chrome ships darted through the darkness, expelling a purple trail of light as their ships flew ahead. There were a couple dozen of ships, but they were all being shot on from something behind them.

Pursuing after the tinier and sleeker ships were a group of giant black ships with red claw markings on the wings that protruded out of the sides. Large cannons poked out of the fronts of the ships while smaller guns and controllable turrets sat on the sides of the ships like barnacles. The giant ships had massive glass windows attached to the front of each, with giant bipedal wolves tapping away at the control panels inside.

"Captain. Their shields are beginning to dampen." One of the wolves swivelled his seat back away from the console, his fangs sharp as his giant tongue slobbered all over them. He was wearing black shoulder pads and had a red chest plate around his body. He wore a scabbard around his waist with a weapon inserted into the small slot. "Your orders?"

"Continue to fire on them." A shadowy figure raised a hairy claw from a larger chair in the middle of the bridge. One of his golden eyes glinted as he began to sniff the air with his nose. "I can smell the blood pouring out of their skins already. Destroy the engines but not the ships themselves. We eat the crew ourselves and take whatever we can find on board as salvage."

"Yes, captain!" The wolf turned his chair back and pulled a small corded microphone to his face. "All guns open fire! Damage them, but do not destroy!"

The guns all turned and pivoted themselves towards the group of smaller ships and began to unleash a deluge of bullets and cannon fire. Yellow lasers streaked down and bombarded onto most of the ships as the cluster broke the formation it was in and swerved and rolled through the blitzing weapon fire. A few ships had massive holes blown through them as the opening rounds of weaponry bit into the hulls.

"So, you thought that you could run from me, could you?" The captain of the fleet coiled his fingers around the arm rests of his throne and cracked his knuckles together. "Nothing escapes from the Wolfpack. You will not be the first." He reached down by the side of his chair and pulled a small hatch open. He pushed the blinking button underneath it and closed the hatch up.

"AUTOPILOT ENGAGED. TARGETS LOCKING." A female voice rang out through the bridge as the leader put his arms behind his head and lifted his feet. A grunt wolf simply ran up to the chair and fell down in front of it, allowing the captain to put his feet up on the body of his felled underling.

The ships all danced and twirled around the lasers and cannon fire, but one by one, they were starting to get blown up by the fleet of ships chasing them. Explosions detonated at the engines and hulls as the weapons connected with them at last. The sheen that the chrome-plated ships once had was now being replaced with fires and dents as the wolf-manned ships continued their ferocious onslaught of attacks on the group.

"The ships are being destroyed faster than we can register, captain! Victory is assured!" Another wolf spoke from his seat as the ships continued to explode.

"Well, of course we're about to win. Do you think I'm blind?" The captain leaned forward, revealing a wolf's snout as his jaws clashed against each other.

"Uh, no sir! I was merely stating the obv—"

"Silence! Enough with your prattle, Scal'zek!" The captain jabbed one of his sharp nails at the wolf on the chair and turned it towards the ships. "You are in my good books so far, but if you want to maintain that image, I would advise that you keep your mouth shut until after their engines have been obliterated."

Soon, the multitude of small ships had been reduced to only two as they nimbly swung and dived through the besieging weapons that hammered down around them. While one of them began to open a hatch on the top to project a bubble of blue light around it, the second opened up small ports around the engines, revealing rainbow-coloured crystals that began to glow as small globes of light began to fly into them.

"Now it's time for the wolves to feed..." The captain was handed a golden staff with a four teeth poking out of the top. A blood-red orb sat in the middle of the four prongs at the end and glowed brightly as he swung it in front of his face and pointed it at the remaining ships. "ATTACK!" He proclaimed as a number of small yellow squares slowly advanced in on the glass in front of him and converged on the ships. Once they were aligned with them, they turned red and grew in size, blinking on and off rapidly.

The fleet of ships behind them all fired off a series of white missiles that left behind their own little streams as they hurtled through space and rocketed towards the remaining chrome ships. They immediately turned themselves towards the other ships and followed them as they tried to dash away from the wolf ships and their captain.

The ship that had the crystals around the engine picked up speed and began to outpace the rockets as a ring of rainbow light began to materialise around it. Electricity crackled around the ring and grew in magnitude as it began to form and complete itself. Once it did, the ring transformed into a multi-coloured vortex that took the first ship away, with some of the rockets flying in after it as it vanished through the light.

The second ship that had the force field around it bore the brunt of the remaining missiles. They struck the ship relentlessly, one after another, leaving nothing but ripples as the blue light surrounding the ship began to diminish. Eventually, it could not bear the strain of fending off that many projectiles at once, and the shield faded out of existence, causing the missiles to slam into the last remaining ship and cause it to explode into a million pieces in all directions.

"ALL TARGETS ELIMINATED. ZERO THREATS REMAINING." The onboard A.I. for the Wolfpack ship announced as the remnants of the last ship split up and dissipated across the stars. "WEAPONS SYSTEMS DISENGAGING."

"Go, my wolves! Board the remaining ships and take what you can!" The captain raised his arms high into the air and held his staff above his head. "And if the crew somehow managed to survive, make sure that you eat your fill!"

The remaining soldiers on the bridge immediately roared and stretches their claws out to the side before bolting out of the doors behind the captain. They snarled and licked their lips as their claws dug into and lifted off of the metallic floors as they soon left the room and ran off towards another part of the ship.

"Captain. Not that I'm complaining or anything, but what are you going to do about that one ship that got away?" A female wolf approached from behind the chair dressed in purple armor. She was holding onto a bar in each hand that had three sharp claws poking out in front of her in a triangle shape. "Aren't you going to give chase?"

"That is what those missiles are for, Siel'Viz." The Wolfpack captain stood up from the chair and placed his claw gently on the female's chest. "If that one ship has eluded our grasp, it will soon explode and leave nothing more than ash and blood."

"Aren't you at all worried about it, though, Mar'zek?" Siel'Viz tilted her head at him.

"No. No I am not." Mar'zek shook his head and turned it towards the stars, watching as a swarm of purple ships now left his own and flew towards the wreckage of the chrome ones that he had destroyed. "What good can one ship do against the might of an empire of wolves?" As he leaned into the light, a toothy smirk appeared on his face.


The remaining chrome ship burst out of the rainbow-coloured wormhole in another region of space, with a blue planet approaching from the distance. The crystals by the engines retracted back into the ship as it continued to fly. Little did it know that the rockets that had followed it were still hot on its' tail as they burst out of the shrinking gateway.

The chase resumed as the small ship performed erratic swirls and curving movements as it tried to get rid of the warheads chasing after it, but it was all to no avail as they crept up to it and slammed into the engines. Fire and smoke poured out of where the weapons had made contact and the ship spiralled towards the giant blue planet with the lights inside beginning to blink red as it broke through the atmosphere.


Students from Canterlot High all gathered outside the back of their school on the bleachers, talking to one another as they looked up to the skies and gazed upon the twinkling stars and moon above. All of them were dressed up in coats as small gusts of frigid wind swept through their hairs and blasted against their faces, but they didn't really seem too bothered by that.

Sunset Shimmer, Twilight Sparkle, and all of their friends were all gathered together underneath a banner that said, "Stargazing Night. Look up to the sky and watch the stars twinkle." Much like the other Canterlot High students, they were dressed up to make it through the cold winds, with Pinkie Pie even wearing a pair of pink mittens.

"I still can't believe that we're actually gonna be seeing a real meteor shower!" Rainbow Dash's grin spread wider and wider as she examined the stars above. "That's the kinda stuff you'd usually see in sci-fi space movies—not in real life!"

"Oh, I just hope that it doesn't come too close." Fluttershy brushed up next to Rainbow Dash and held her hand. "I don't want to imagine the kind of chaos that they could cause if they crash here on Earth."

"Don't worry, Fluttershy. If the meteors had come close towards the planet's atmosphere, then the government would've authorised that we all evacuate the city immediately." Twilight Sparkle adjusted her glasses and pulled out a telescope from her backpack. She pulled the lens out and extended it before she retrieved the stand that would hold it and began to attach the two pieces together. "Everything's going to be fine. And, if anything, we'll see some amazing astral movements tonight."

"Yeah! And all of those shooting stars in one place can only mean one thing: Wishes!" Pinkie Pie threw her arms into the air and flung confetti out from her sleeves. "We're gonna have so many stars to make our wishes on and with a little bit of luck, hope, Magic of Friendship, and believing in them like those cheesy family movies say, I can't even imagine all the stuff that's gonna come true afterwards! It's all so fun and exciting!" She squealed.

"Alright, Pinkie Pie. There ain't no need to get so worked up about it just yet." Applejack held Pinkie's shoulders and massaged them gently. "There'll be plenty of 'em, yeah, but we've all gotta wait patiently. No use counting yer chickens before they hatch."

"There are chickens involved?" Spike burst out of Twilight's backpack and wagged his tail vigorously. "Where? Lemme at 'em!"

"Attention, students!" Principal Celestia tapped on the microphone and heard the slight feedback ring through everyone's ears as she saw everyone turn to face her. "I'm so glad that so many of you turned up for tonight's events. Now, we might have some up with the idea, but in our eyes, all of you are the real stars." Her attempt a joke was met with the mere chirping of crickets as students stared at her bug-eyed. She let out a small chuckle and stepped back a few paces. "I'll, uh, hand the microphone over to Luna now."

"Students, being a stargazer and night enthusiast myself, I would like to say that I am so proud of you all for coming out all of this way at this time of night to witness the crossing of these meteors." Luna stood by the microphone and smiled at the crowd of teenagers as she clapped her hands and hung them down at her stomach. "Even if you aren't familiar with stars and constellations, I do hope that what happens tonight sticks in your minds for a long time." She looked up and watched as the first few lights shot through the sky above her. "Now, I advise you all to crane your necks up, as the first few shooting stars of the night are beginning to pass us by."

As the students looked up as per Luna's request, their eyes were greeted with the sight of dozens of stars streaking across the night sky leaving behind trails that vanished just as quickly as they appeared. Choruses of "ooh"'s and "aah"'s rang out as the students were captivated by the events happening high above them.

"Wow..." Fluttershy's mouth hung wide open as she saw the stars above her dashing off and fading out of existence faster than she could process what was going on. "It's like I'm looking at bunch of fireflies dancing..."

"You said it, Fluttershy." Rainbow Dash's hand slowly slid down Fluttershy's hips as both of them witnessed the event. "This has to be the most awesome thing that I've ever seen in my life..."

As the students watched the stars above, they loosened up their muscles and sat down on the ground, folding their legs as they started to feel warm and fuzzy inside. Most of their time at Canterlot High was either spent learning lessons that would help them to find a job or watching magical beings duke it out for the fate of the world. So to have all of that replaced with a single night of shooting stars was all the more special for them. No matter what problems or issues that they might have had, it was almost instantaneously lost as they gave the tiny comets an audience.

But in the middle of the meteor shower, a muffled explosion could be heard as a sonic wave blasted away the clouds and spread out towards the rest of the sky. Everyone jumped at the noise and turned to see what looked like another, giant red star in between the other ones flying past.

"Ooh! What's that?" Twilight immediately put her eye against the telescope and turned it towards the new light. "Is that a red star? I've only ever seen them white. I've gotta get a picture of this." And without another second's thought, she pulled out a small phone and zoomed in before taking the picture.

"Let me see that star, Twilight." Sunset Shimmer bent down and looked through Twilight's telescope to try and get a better vantage of the red star. She fiddled with the magnification range until she could make out exactly what was happening. "Wait a second. That doesn't seem like a star to me."

"Huh? What do you mean it's not a star, Sunset?" Twilight turned from her phone and saw Sunset looking through her telescope.

"It has wings, some sort of shiny silver plating or something, and that doesn't seem to be red just for the heck of it." Sunset turned the knob one more time, until she got an accurate view of the small ship that had been attacked by the Wolfpack and hit by the missiles. "It looks like some kind of alien spaceship!"

"An alien spaceship?" The other Rainbooms chorused and gathered around Sunset. They all took turns at looking through the telescope and saw the damaged ship for what it was at last.

"It is! It is an alien ship!" Applejack almost jumped off of the ground when she saw the ship. "And from the looks of things, it's coming right for us!"

As everyone turned their attention from the shooting stars in the distance, they watched as the chrome and silver ship came careening towards them with a veil of fire around the front. Smoke poured out of the engines as parts of the ship were ripped off in the high velocity it was travelling in, and the roar of the noise grew louder and louder as it came closer and closer to the ground.

The students began to panic and scream as they saw the ship growing bigger and bigger as it came hurtling down towards the surface. They all began to run away from the site in a frenzy, pushing and shoving each other to try and be the first ones to clear the ensuing crash and save themselves from meeting a grizzled end.

Throughout the chaos, the only ones who didn't move were the Rainbooms, who were too fixated on the ship to try and move away. Other students pulled on their arms to try and grab their attention, but none of it seemed to work as the seven of them just watched the giant slab of otherworldly material shoot right over Canterlot High.

As the ship flew over the high school, a trapdoor opened up on the bottom of the ship. From the interior of the alien vessel, a single five-fingered hand threw six small diamond-shaped crystals out of it, causing them to tumble down towards the grass. After leaving the ship, the hand moved from the hatch and towards another part of the ship before the hatch was able to fully close.

Sunset Shimmer was so entranced in watching the damaged ship pass over her head that she didn't even notice the crystals fall and rest delicately on the barren ground. After it left, all that she could hear were the sounds of failing engines and the impact against solid ground as she and the other girls were knocked onto their butts.

"What in the heck was that?!" Rainbow Dash asked, throwing her hand out in front of her face.

"I don't know! It just came out of nowhere!" Sunset propped her hands against the floor and pushed herself back onto her feet, helping the other girls stand up one by one afterwards. "But we should check it out at least, before the place gets locked down by the police."

"Ya sure that's a good idea, Sunset?" Applejack tilted her head and pulled her hat from it. "That thing was the size of a race track! Aren't you a little worried about what might be inside that thing?"

"Yeah, Sunset! There are aliens in that thing! We've just gotta wait for the authorities to lock whatever's in there up and send it off to Area 51 or something." Pinkie Pie frowned as she looked towards the pillar of smoke that rose up from the crash site of the giant ship. "I know that it'd be super-cool to shake hands with an alien, but sometimes we've gotta stop acting so silly and do the right thing sometimes."

"While I do agree with Pinkie, I suppose that I should really play the side of the devil here and say that it's at least worth a peak." Rarity raised her finger and turned towards the crash. "Even if the cops do detain whatever monster might be inside that ship, we should really see what they're locking up before they do."

"Well, I think that we should just leave it alone and move on with our lives." Applejack crossed her arms and shook her head with Rarity.

"Ugh. Applejack, you're always so stuffy whenever it comes to new things." Rarity leaned in close and pinched Applejack's cheeks. "Learn to lighten up a bit and be a bit more curious."

"Rarity, we're dealing with creatures from another planet!" Applejack spluttered and threw both of her arms out to her sides. "We should get the cops high-tailing down there to arrest them there varmints!"

"Alright, alright, alright." Sunset Shimmer stepped in between both Rarity and Applejack and pushed them apart. "I can see that we're not going to be able to resolve this with two of you fighting. So instead, we'll take a vote." She walked into the middle of the group. "All those in favour of seeing what's up with that crash, say aye."

"Aye!" Rainbow Dash, Twilight, and Rarity raised their hands in the air.

"All against?" Sunset turned towards the others.

"Nay." Applejack and Pinkie Pie raised their arms.

"Fluttershy?" Sunset saw that throughout the whole process, Fluttershy had just stood there with a lock of hair draped down her face. She blew it up once her name was called and looked Sunset in the eyes. "You're not deciding?"

"Oh, I'm indecisive on this." Fluttershy stepped forward and pushed the hair away from her face as she looked out at the rising smoke. "I'm not going to bet on this, as if I side with Applejack, we're only going to reach a standstill. And besides, I think it'd be interesting to see just what kind of alien creatures we find on that ship."

"Well, if you're not gonna vote, then that means that we have a three-two victory for checking the ship out." Sunset Shimmer nodded as she walked away from the site. "C'mon, girls. Let's see what we're dealing with here."

"I still think that we should just let the authorities deal with this stuff." Applejack crossed her arms and mumbled under her breath as she followed the other girls away from Canterlot High and the empty field. "Seriously, first magic, now aliens. Are we ever gonna live a normal life?"

"Oh, come on, Applejack. Isn't your curiosity piqued?" Rarity couldn't help but smile as she walked in tandem with the other Rainbooms. "Don't you just want to see what kind of fashion sense these intergalactic beings have? I wonder what the inside of that ship looks like now that I think about it."

"Of course you'd be in this for the fashion, Rarity." Rainbow Dash put her hands behind her head. "I'm just in this to see who's come to our planet. If they're friendly, then we welcome and keep them safe. But if they're bad guys, we use the Magic of Friendship to pummel their butts straight back to wherever they came from!"

"Well, reasons aside, the more we know, the less worried we'll be about it." Sunset nodded and ran over the road and down the sidewalks towards where the ship had crashed. "And we'd better get there fast. If they just get taken away from us the second we get there, we could be missing out on a great discovery. That, or we could have a new fight on our hands. One's better than the other, right?" She shrugged.

Author's Note:

Go go, Pony Crossover!

So yeah, as you may or may not know, I am a fan of the Power Rangers universe. Whether it's the first series from back in the 80's, or some of the newer series like Samurai, I'm partial to a bit of multi-coloured spandex teenagers battling aliens, monsters, and other such monstrosities in such insane japanese-level combat that would never be possible in real life.

The girls are soon going to get their suits, zords, and powers in the next few chapters. Seeing as this is a prologue, I've got all the time that I need to establish everything and get all of the girls suited up and powered up before long.

So yeah, Power Rangers Equestria Girls is a go, people. I hope that you enjoyed this first part for what it was worth and I do hope that you'll stick around for future chapters.