• Published 28th Mar 2017
  • 2,389 Views, 329 Comments

Equestria Rangers - Shadowmane PX-41



Following a meteor shower in the city of Canterlot, Sunset Shimmer and her friends are about to transform into a new generation of heroes...

  • ...
9
 329
 2,389

System Shock

On the Wolfpack's flagship, Mar'Zek was watching back the battles the Rangers had fought since donning the suits. All the wolves and crewmembers he had sent out, as well as the hound infantry that acompanied them, all falling before his eyes, over and over again. His claws rapped against the arm of the chair as he examined their form, the way they held their weapons, and the weight behind their attacks.

"It's so strange." He turned to Vi'Al by his side. "How can a group of such sloppy, unfocused, under-experienced teenagers possibly stand a chance against the Wolfpack? My Wolfpack? Are the warriors I recruited getting slow in old age? Or is there something more that I'm just not seeing in them?"

"Nonsense, captain! Your crew ALWAYS train rigorously every single day. We don't let a single agent rest or slouch. Ever!" Vi'Al piped up, pulling his eyes out of a clipboard with data scribbled on it. "But I do agree that it does raise some questions. And let me say, it's been really fun to try and decipher the algorithms and conundrums as to how these children can fend off your army."

"Bah! Nonsense!" Siel'Viz howled and hunched over, slamming her hand against the throne's side. "Captain. Send me down next. I'll teach them a proper lesson."

"No, Siel'Viz. You would completely flatten them with your combat expertise. Thirty years of military training on Lupus versus six teenagers who barely know how powerful they really are. It's a heavy mismatch, and it would be a mercy kill." He pulled Siel'Viz's hand off of the throne. "And remind me. What are the three golden rules of the Wolfpack?"

"Rule number one. Only fight those on your level; Rule number two. Leave nothing in your wake after the mission is complete." She stood back upright and stared out at the stars. "And rule number three. The Captain's word is law."

"Exactly. And my law is that you are not permitted to go out into battle against the Power Rangers." Mar'Zek gave her a sideways glare before activating the digital bubble around him. "However, that does not mean that nobody will be fighting the Power Rangers. It's only a matter of choosing who is next to hunt them down..."

With how many screens had been turned to static, Mar'Zek had to think long and hard about what aspect he wanted to train next. The Rangers were strong of mind, but he had to question their strength and resilience. With that thought in mind, his eyes turned towards a screen, showing a human warrior with electricity crackling through his long, spiky hair, draped in a yellow, body-tight suit with black bolts of lightning running down it. He was hovering in the air thanks to a current of electric bolts, and launched volleys of electricity down at his targets, which chained to other targets at close proximity. Then, it showed him overloading a makeshift power station and blanketing a region in darkness.

"Strong. Sophisticated. Elegant. He will do well against the Rangers." He tapped on the screen, starting a voice call with the human on the other side.

"Master. You called?" The human bowed before him, his scottish accent on full display.

"Yes I did, Livewire. You are to report to the Meteor Cannon. I have chosen you to be the Power Rangers' next opponent." He grinned. "I'm launching you at the power station. From there, take out anything that still stands in the wake, and then get rid of the comm lines. Send Canterlot into a complete blackout. Then, focus on the Rangers' technology."

"This another one of your tests, master?" He asked, lifting a brow. "Because if it is, I'm gonna love every second of it."

"It is. The Rangers rely on technology to win. But what were to happen if that technology were to completely disappear on them? Would they still take up arms? Or would they fall before us?" He asked. "Either way, you are going to give us an answer."

"Understood. Glory be to the Wolfpack." He gave a salute by pounding his chest twice with the side of one of his fists, before the screen vanished, and the cannon began to target the city. A single shot fired, sending reverberations of the noise throughout the ship.

The shell careened through the cosmos, broke through the atmosphere, and caught fire due to the sheer velocity it had. From the ground, it looked like a single shooting star, hurtling through the skies. But little did everyone know just what awaited it inside.


It was a very late night at the Canterlot Power Station. A lone facility filled to the brim with industrial technology. Power transformers, electrical conduits, fuse boxes, cooling towers, and many more; all channelling the same currents between each other, before distributing them to the rest of the city. Steam was vented every so often, and the noises of metal tools fixing and bolstering the devices could be heard deep within the complex.

In the control room, a lone worker sat quietly at his desk, eyeing up each of the different screens on display, keeping a close eye on the other employees and the machines that they were working on. He had a few magazines scattered around of varying interests, as well as a mug of coffee and a few snacks laden around. Mostly, for him, it had been a very quiet night. That was until he decided to take his eyes off of the screens for a brief moment and catch a glimpse of the stars outside. One of which being the shell that housed Livewire, shining brighter and brighter as it came darting towards the facility.

As the worker adjusted his glasses and blinked at the bright cannon shell, he eventually opened his eyes to the truth. That was no star. And it wasn't just passing by. Letting out a gasp, he ran towards a button that would set off the alarms, but the second his hand touched it, the shell crashed down, engulfing the power station in a massive explosion, sending flames and electricity in all directions.

From the rubble, tumbling down around him, Livewire stood back up and began to coil electric energy between his hands. With a sinister smirk on his face and his eyes glowing a shade of bright blue, he threw his arms out, sending a web of energy out through the facility, trailing down each and every corridor and destroying whatever remained of the facility.

His reach extended to every single appliance through the base. The lights above the corridors grew in power before bursting; the computers all lit up with blue screens with error messages on them before they combusted and spread their parts across the area; the elevator systems were fried before the wires were cut, sending every single box tumbling down to the bottom floor; and every area that was even the slightest bit damp was now charged with electricity, frying anyone or anything that stood on it at the time.

"Y'know how they always say that lightning never strikes twice in the same place? Hah! What a buncha idiots..." Livewire then threw his hands into the air, sending another wave of electricity into the clouds, causing them to transform into storm clouds and gather around him. They sent out thicker, louder, and more widespread bolts of lightning, which all smashed into the cooling towers. The excessive force caused every single one of the beaker-shaped buildings to crumble, debris raining down around the foundations and burying anything that laid inside.

"Captain. The power station is down. Moving to engage the comm lines," Livewire spoke through a device mounted on his arm before running out of the site.

"Very good, Livewire. I can see now that my visit to Nimbus-12 was not for nothing after all," said Mar'Zek through the device. "Now. Twist the knife, and put the whole city into a state of chaos!"

"Acknowledged." He ran towards the nearest telephone tower and let another wave of electric energy launch out of his hands. Sparks flew from the metal, and the cables all snapped one after another. The same lightning then chained itself to any other nearby towers that were stationed around the site, until every single one of the lines had been cut. "Towers are down, Captain. Canterlot and the Power Rangers have no way of communicating or using their gadgets. Moving into the city now. I'll radio you as soon as daybreak comes."

"Exceptional work. You might just have a promotion on the cards if you continue to impress me like this," Mar'Zek replied.

"Understood. Thank you, Captain." Livewire began running towards Canterlot, trailing sparks and voltage behind him as he did so. "Initiating radio silence now. Disengaging voltaic energy." He tapped a button on the device, shutting off the link between him and the captain. At the same time, the lightning that he conducted started to fade away, leaving him with nothing more than his suit and his body. "Now then, Power Rangers. Let's see how ye recover from this!"


The next day, the Rainbooms were all gathered around Canterlot High, with their hands curled and their phones securely in their pockets. They took a look around at everyone else and noticed that not a single one wasn't talking. Even the more quiet students were engaging in conversations, sharing looks with each other.

"So... I guess I'm not the only one who had all the power out this morning, huh?" Rainbow Dash broke the silence between the girls at long last.

"It wasn't just you, Rainbow Dash, I'm pretty sure that everyone around the country is sharing in your troubles," Rarity spoke up. "All of the power in my house was down as well. I had to use the oven to blow-dry my hair this morning!"

"Because of the power outage, we had to take toasted and microwaved goods off of the menu today. Not to mention that the TV was totally on the fritz, and it was really hard to take any card payments too!" Pinkie Pie threw her arms out. "Seriously, I don't think I've ever seen Mr and Mrs Cake write up posters and warning signs that fast. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen them do that, period!"

"Oh, I don't see what everyone's so fussy about." Fluttershy coiled some hair around one of her fingers. "It was pretty fine for me this morning."

"Yeah, because you're not that into technology like most of the other kids here at Canterlot High. And now, they're all beginning to panic because it's just... gone!" Rainbow threw her arms up, her eye twitching as her fingers squirmed.

"Well, I don't think that there's anything that we need to worry about. All we can do is just give Elaris a call and we can figure this whole thing out, right?" Sunset reached in for her phone and opened up the contacts list on her phone. She tried to call Elaris, but her phone refused to ring even once. She tried again. No response. After the third time yielded nothing, she just closed her phone up and turned back to her friends. "Okay. That might be a problem."

"What is it, Sunset?" Rarity asked, putting a hand on Sunset's shoulders.

"It's not just the power that's gone today, girls. It's the phone line as well. I've got no 4G, and none of my attempts to get to Elaris worked. No tech, and no phone calls either. What is going on today?" She asked, looking to each of the girls for an answer, who could only respond with silence and raised shoulders.

"Rangers." Elaris reached over Rainbow Dash's shoulder and tapped her, causing her to jump and yelp loudly.

"Gah! Elaris! Don't do that to us, OK?" Rainbow Dash barked, her hands noticeably still shaking from the surprise.

"I apologise. But I think that there's something you need to see. And I don't think any of you are going to like the look of it." She said, turning towards the door and walking back out of the school. "Come on, girls."

But before she could take another step forward, the school bell rang, and everyone started to make their way towards their classes. Pretty soon, Elaris found herself pushed aside by the other teenagers and ultimately knocked onto her back with how she had tried to navigate through them. When everyone else had gone, the Rainbooms all reached their hands out towards her and helped her back on her feet.

"Oh. You have your... classes. I see." Elaris turned back to the doors, which all closed once the students were properly situated inside. "Well, I can always wait, if you wish."

"Yeah. Sorry about that, El. We forget to tell you about that. See, we're not just Power Rangers twenty-four seven, y'know." Pinkie gave her a few pats on the back. "We've got school, education, to learn about the world and what we wanna do with ourselves once we go to college and all that stuff."

"I understand. Completely," said Elaris. "Well, in the meantime, why don't I go back to the ship? Work on some modifications and upgrades in the Forge? By the looks of the damage done today, you might need those as soon as physically possible..."

And without another word, she walked off, leaving the Rainbooms all feeling a sense of dread inside. What could have been so bad that Elaris had to come and see them in person, instead of giving them a call with their powered-up phones? Many of them hypothesised and imagined what it could have been, but all of them didn't have any proof or real ideas on what the true damage was.


Later, after all of their classes had come to an end, the Rainbooms were all gathered in the bridge of Elaris's ship again, watching as a holographic model of the city materialised before them, with a series of bars to the right of it displaying the power that the city had. Shortly after said gauges appeared, they were completely drained, which also caused the city projection to transform more and more, turning the chunky buildings into outlines of themselves.

"Last night, something must have happened to the generators and power units in your city, as well as the comm lines themselves," said Elaris as she turned on a screen, showing a news report that none of the girls had ever seen before. "Since every form of communication and information has been severed, I have had to expand L.U.C.Y's reach to another city for the time being, to find any trace of a clue as to why this has happened. And so far, this is the best I could come up with."

"And now a reminder of our top story today: Canterlot City has gone completely dark, after what could only be described as a terrorist plot enacted on the city by an unknown group of individuals," said the newscaster, showing pictures of the ruined power station. "At 2:30AM last night, the city's power station was destroyed and left in ruins. Further investigations went on to report that the entire facility had been completely overloaded with energy, and the devices could not handle it. As for the damage, the only theory that people have been making so far was that a series of bombs were detonated both in the main building and around the cooling towers themselves. The police in the area are unaware of the situation at the moment, as not only was the power completely cut, but the phone lines around the building were also destroyed, making it physically impossible for anyone in the region to make or receive any and all calls."

"What the..." Sunset was horrified at the state of the site, looking at every single piece of the wreckage like each one was just as horrific as the last.

"This HAS to be the Wolfpack's doing. It couldn't be anyone else's." Rarity snarled and balled up her hands. Gritting her teeth, she said, "Those heathens have gone way too far this time. Forcing me to resort to primitive devices just to look my best?! I WON'T STAND FOR IT!"

"The reporters have been unable to confirm as to when the power station will be restored, but until it does, the entire city of Canterlot is completely dark on both power and communication," the newscaster continued. "Shops and restaurants all across the city have put up signs that they can only take cash payments, as credit card readers have also been knocked out by this attack. Further, banks have seen a rise of visitors in the past few hours, as people are scrambling to receive any money that might have been lost to them by other means. Well, whatever may happen to the city, in the meantime, it is a complete dark zone; one that will quickly desolve into chaos and anarchy unless the situation is handled rapidly."

"This is not good. Electricity is one of the main assets of the entire city." Sunset turned the news report off and looked back at the city outline. "Without it, traffic will be out of control, jobs will be halted, people famished for entertainment, and much more."

"Not to mention that nobody will be able to let anyone know about it. These Wolfpack soldiers are ruthless..." Applejack took off her hat and held it down by her side. "Look. Let's just find that wolf or whatever it is that did this and bring it down, alright? And while we're at it, we'd better lend a hand in fixing up that power station once it's all over."

"First things first, we need to know what could have done all this." Elaris began to pace back and forth through the room. "Who could have been powerful enough to destroy all of this, but still make it out alive?"

"You think it was Mar'Zek? To prove a point and try and teach us a lesson?" Fluttershy asked, silently lifting her hand. "He does want to test us, after all. This must be another one of those tests."

"No. Captain Mar'Zek would never do something like this in an attempt to pick off strong warriors. He always, always, ALWAYS launches a full-scale war assault on the planets he conquers, and leaves the destruction to the rest of the Wolfpack while he goes for the strongest fighters on said planets." Elaris just shook her head, taking one more look at the destroyed power station from a still image of the news report. "Still, it boggles the mind to wonder who could have done this..."

Suddenly, the alarm blared, and the screen changed again to show a map of Canterlot. There was an area of the map that was radiating with a bright cyan glow, sending small ripples out around it that faded as quickly as they appeared.

"Everyone, I'm reading voltaic energy in the central district. It's in a strong concentration and it's entirely unfiltered. Nothing's being powered up by it or benefiting off of it..." Elaris jumped into the chair of the bridge and zoomed in on the marked area, highlighting it once it had been scaled up. "In non scientific or formal terms, it's a massive ball of lightning, right in the heart of the city.

"How many volts is it, Elaris?" Twilight asked, running up to her side. "Is it lethal electricity?"

"I'm calculating the power now, and it's not looking good. It's reading electrical powers of up to fourty million terawatts. That's enough to electrocute the entire sea and everything both in and on it!" She frantically began typing away at the console. "L.U.C.Y.! Configure ranger outfits! Raise electrical resistance to the highest levels!"

"Understood, but you should know that this power is only finite," L.U.C.Y. said as the crystals began to glow and shimmer, as little spores of light were absorbed into them. "If the Rangers take too much damage, then this protection will disappear, and the voltage will kill them on the spot."

"Girls. I've given you a shield, but it's not going to be enough." Elaris lowered her brows. "Whoever this Wolfpack agent is, destroy them and contain that energy quickly. Otherwise, Canterlot could be completely destroyed."

"Got it! Rangers! It's Morphin' Time!" Sunset called to the rest of her team as they all tapped their crystal belt buckles.

"Equestrian Stars! Shine Bright and Let's Fight!" They all called and posed, hastily morphing into their Ranger forms before dashing out of the ship to meet their opponent.