• Published 24th Mar 2017
  • 7,311 Views, 1,848 Comments

The Perilous Gestation of Swans - kudzuhaiku



Princess Celestia struggles to be the princess that Equestria believes her to be.

  • ...
37
 1,848
 7,311

Chapter 34

The Royal Baths was a location that Gosling knew that Celestia had little opportunity to visit. It was, perhaps, the most opulent and luxurious location in all of Canterlot Castle, but was also the spot that was least populated by royals. Foreign dignitaries were ushered in, their senses dulled, and then afterwards, they underwent the diplomatic process while trying to recover from being pampered almost to death. It was wildly successful, and the reason why Equestria had so many peaceful relations.

In the winter months, it fell into disuse and was now almost dusty. Gosling followed after Celestia, her dutiful, devoted servant, and as the pair of them walked the lights flickered to life. No electric lights here, no, Celestia had long ago bottled sunlight, real, actual sunlight, and the lamps began to do battle with the chilly air. This was a place of healing, of restoration, a place where spirit, soul, and body could be tended to.

“Attend to me,” Celestia commanded and her voice rang out like a bell.

Much to Gosling’s surprise, the room came to life and he had a vivid reminder of just how powerful Celestia’s magic could be. Tables came to life and began to prance around on spindly, spider-like legs. Whole cupboards moved about, opening their doors and revealing their contents. Water began to flow into what could only be called a swimming pool. With what almost appeared to be reckless abandon, Celestia began tossing alchemical bombs into the pool.

One of the chairs came running up to Celestia and rubbed up against her leg like an overly-affectionate puppy.

“I have been overwhelmed by everything,” Celestia confessed in a muted whisper. “So much to prepare for. So much to plan for. Things are happening, Gosling, big things are taking place out beyond our borders. This past week has been especially taxing with all of the preparations for the school gala. And this is with the huge recruitment drive to get ponies to join the guard. I am worn thin, and it pains me to admit to this.”

Unsure of what to say, Gosling nodded. It was obvious that Celestia needed to vent.

“The dead from the front lines are already returning home. It pains me that we are taking losses. I included it in my speech and I was going to make it a point to look into the eyes of those in attendance that I knew had lost somepony. At least, I was working up the nerve to do so, but I was having a great many problems. Sometimes, the pain in those eyes is too much to bear, and sometimes, the anger is too much to witness. I always feel that I have much to answer for, as it is I who sent them off to war beyond our borders.”

Still silent, Gosling said nothing, knowing just how bad things really were. He kept up with the reports and listened to what Blueblood had to say when Blueblood had to say something. Most of the time, very little was said and there was only a quiet acknowledgement of the numbers. Blueblood made it a point to visit families in Canterlot that had lost somepony, and plans were being laid down for Gosling to start doing the same. It was not a duty that he was eager to begin, but do it he would.

The air filled with the swirling scent of perfumes and sweet oils as the pool began to flood with hot water and the alchemical bath bombs began to dissolve. All around him, the chilly air began to warm and with the humidity from the hot water, this place began to feel like spring. Celestia was conjuring things that she wanted, such as a pitcher of orange juice filled with ice cubes, a jar of green olives, (Gosling knew that she would drink the brine first) and an assortment of snacks, all of which were laid out on tables eager to see action once more.

“It felt good to laugh, Gosling, thank you. I know I didn’t look it, but I really was quite stricken. That’s the problem, Gosling… I am not the pony that so many of my subjects think I am. Sometimes, it feels as though I am being dishonest with them, and this leaves me feeling guilty and conflicted.”

“When we were dating, and you fainted—”

“Did not!” Celestia’s voice was a thundercrack that made Gosling’s ears quiver.

In a more diplomatic approach, Gosling tried again: “When you overheated—ahem—you told me that you were still a pony and that immortality did not mean invulnerability. You told me right up front that you have weaknesses, that you were less than perfect, and that you have shortcomings. Why is it that you could reveal all of that to me but you feel the need to hide it from everypony else?”

“You asked me if I liked back rubs…” Turning about, Celestia studied the smaller pegasus with a wise expression upon her face. “A few moments before, I felt the tweak of destiny… I felt a wibble, Gosling—”

“A wibble?” Gosling tilted his head off to one side.

“Yes, a wibble… I am sensitive to the demands of destiny, Gosling, it is part of my nature. But I knew that I loved you. That I would love you. I knew that certain things would come to pass between us. It is part of what I am, I suppose, and the purpose I serve. I just know things. I knew that the clock was running out and that Twilight Velvet or Twilight Sparkle would be the one to free Luna. There is much I know… and I knew that I loved you. Or would love you. Time runs differently for me, Gosling. It all bleeds together.”

“But why tell me?” Gosling asked, feeling more confused than ever.

At this Celestia shrugged and after a moment of thinking of what to say, she responded, “For you to love me back, you needed to understand me, I suppose. You are painfully mortal, Gosling, and I… I am eternal. I am beyond your realm of comprehension. I guess I was letting the drawbridge down, so to speak, and inviting you into my castle so that we might at least have some little understanding of one another.”

“I remember the night I plundered your royal treasury,” Gosling remarked, and he smiled when his words made Celestia titter. He started to laugh, but fell prey to his own seriousness. “There is something precious in there… in your treasury, I mean. It catches me off guard sometimes and I think about it… and I don’t know how to feel.”

The both of them stood there, now in silence, listening to the rumbling roar of the cascading water that filled the pool. Celestia’s titters had faded into a warm expression of concern at Gosling’s words. Now, they just stared at one another, sometimes blinking, and their fuzzy ears twitched with hopeful anticipation of future words.

In a moment that showed off his true intelligence, Gosling made a connection and looking into Celestia’s eyes, he sought confirmation. “Your ability to peek into the future… you have to be in contact with a pony, otherwise, you’d just know everything. This is why you have your school, isn’t it? To expose yourself to ponies in a controlled way and to get a feel for destiny. That was how you knew about Twilight Velvet and Twilight Sparkle, right?”

Celestia turned away for a moment and watched as the water poured from the ornate gold faucet. Her lips were pursed and it was obvious to Gosling that she was choosing her words and doing so with great care. For him, it was all of the confirmation that he needed, and even if he wasn’t entirely right, he was right enough for it to matter.

“It is one way of many,” Celestia replied. “But you are right. I need exposure to become aware and this is how I can be blindsided by certain events. A total lack of exposure. There are times when I get lucky though and things just work themselves out.” She drew in a deep breath, her barrel expanding, and then she stood there, shaking her head from side to side.

“A few years back, after a series of tragic events, I came into contact with the most remarkable little colt. He was pitiful, mind you, in terrible, tragic condition, and he had been most heinously abused. He had been abused with magic, mind you, which is why he was brought to me. Through all of those most awful of circumstances and coincidence, I met him and knew that he was destined to be special, but I wasn’t quite certain how.”

Angered, Gosling gnawed upon his lip with nothing to say.

“Was it luck? Fate? Agents of destiny working in ways that I cannot comprehend? I don’t know, but it was fortunate that I was able to see him… to touch him… but I knew that I was dealing with something extraordinary, so plans were made. I entrusted his care with those who had also been touched by destiny, by fate, by whatever it is that made this possible, and lo and behold, things have worked out.” Celestia’s smile was secretive and satisfied, a combination that made Gosling’s heart start thumping.

Even with his pounding, racing heart, he was still sad from the words she had said.

Again, he turned to watch the pouring water that fell from the gargantuan faucet. A torrent poured from the ornate gold spout and steam curled up from the pearl-encrusted edges. The steam offered no glimpses into the future, it showed him no visions, offered him no wisdom. Gosling had heard of ponies who could peek into the future, but he was never quite sure what he believed—though he believed Celestia. Most of the time, it was a matter of parting a fool and their bits. If they could really see the future, he reasoned, Celestia would be employing them for the betterment of Equestria.

“Are there others who can see into the future?”

Gosling’s question was met with silence and he didn’t bother to look at Celestia to see her reaction. The falling water was fascinating enough to hold his attention, and when his hope for an answer began to fade from existence, Celestia’s voice made his ears perk.

“Twilight Sparkle is learning,” the alabaster alicorn replied, her voice muted. “She is gifted. In time, I suspect that her abilities will surpass my own. Or maybe that is my vanity speaking. Every good teacher wants their students to be outstanding. Cadance has exceeded my every expectation and Twilight actively seeks out new ways to impress me.”

Vanity? Gosling’s perfect, chiseled jaw set at the word, and he reflected on what he knew about Celestia. Vanity was a problem, but was celebrating your own perfection really so bad? As it turned out, he was of two minds on the issue; vanity wasn’t such a bad thing, unless of course it ran out of control and began to diminish others. Gosling liked to believe that he had a good handle on his vanity—he was, after all, a very pretty pony—but he didn’t think his beauty made him better than anypony else and he always tried to find the beauty in others. Yes, that was it, Gosling was a pony that appreciated beauty—demanded it even—and he would go out of his way to help others find whatever it was that was beautiful about themselves.

Beautiful ponies were happy ponies, and Gosling liked happy ponies.

“And what of your current student?” Gosling asked as his own vanity overwhelmed him.

“Oh, that little scoundrel,” Celestia replied without skipping a beat, “he called me a ‘crotch jockey.’ Can you believe that? Clearly he failed to pay attention to the fact that I desire to be mounted. I am not the rider, I wish to be ridden.”

Red faced, Gosling felt every muscle in his body go tense. Whoops. That was going to go on his permanent record, no doubt. A quick glance at Celestia revealed that she stood with her head high, looking both amused and indignant. When no praise seemed to be forthcoming, he let out a sigh and resigned himself to his fate. He had accomplished much, and he knew what it was, so he would just have to be happy with that.

“Whatta mug.” Clucking his tongue, Gosling shook his head from side to side. “Somepony should do something about him, and sort him out.”

“Oh, shut up, take off that silly sweater, and get in the water, Gosling…”


The moment that Gosling put a hoof into the water, he was attacked by vicious bubbles. They came at him like he imagined piranhas would, swarming him, and he could feel them clinging to his leg. It was one of the most weird things he had ever experienced and he let out a whimpering cry of alarm. Celestia, being the helpful sort that she was, sorted Gosling out by planting one hoof onto his rump and shoving him into the deep water, where the bubbles all came for him at once.

After several panicked seconds, Gosling realised that the bubbles were scrubbing him somehow. There was a splash followed by rolling waves as Celestia plopped into the massive bath basin and she let out a honk of relief seconds before she submerged. Still feeling a little alarmed, or perhaps still jittery from being alarmed, Gosling tried to focus on the sensations of what was happening to his body. The bubbles, he could feel them nibbling, yes, nibbling was the only way he could describe it. They were everywhere, nibbling at everything, and although the sensation wasn’t painful, it was disconcerting.

When Celestia broke the surface several long seconds later, there was a serene look upon her face. She bobbed in the water, swanlike, with rivulets of bubble-laced liquid streaming from her contours. Gosling was so dumbfounded by what he saw that he failed to notice that Celestia’s mane and tail were corporeal and each strand shimmered like an oil slick. When he did notice, he was too flummoxed by the sum of all he experienced to say anything.

“Of all of the things that are on my mind,” Celestia began in a voice that wavered from distress, “the war bothers me the most. This won’t be like other wars, Gosling. I fear there will not be a definable front. Not in the traditional sense. This is going to change our way of life… our way of thinking… this will change us as a nation and I am not sure if the ponies of Equestria are ready for such changes.”

“Change happens, even if we’re not ready for it.” Gosling hesitated, speaking these words, and hoped that he didn’t sound trite. “Nothing can stay the same, not even you. If we’re not changing, then we’ve reached a state of stagnation.”

“All of this change comes at a price, Gosling, and a dreadful one at that.”

This time, Gosling did not reply, but floated in the water, listening.

When she spoke, Celestia’s face turned downcast with sorrow, like a cloud passing beneath the sun and casting a shadow. “The cost of war, Gosling… every son and daughter is a debt that my sister and I must repay. We’re borrowing against our shared future, and every precious drop of blood spilt must be accounted for and paid back. We’re still paying a debt for the conflicts in our past. Well, I am… Luna wasn’t even present during our last civil war, but she shares the debt as well now that she has returned.”

Before he could even think about what it was that he was saying, Gosling blurted out, “I would share that debt with you.”

The look that Celestia gave him made Gosling cringe a little, because he couldn’t read her face. At this moment, she was almost alien, unknowable, she was a vault of mysteries that he would never open, and the distance between the two of them seemed impassable. She was a beautiful, perfect, immortal sun goddess and he… he was not.

“This is what I love about you…” The corners of Celestia’s mouth were pulled upwards and her eyes shone with some marvellous inner light. “You have a desire, an eagerness to do good, even if you don’t fully understand what is going on. You don’t even need to understand what it is that you are getting into just so long as you are taking some kind of action. You are fearless, bold, and so eager to please.”

Gosling made the only response that seemed apropos: “My mother raised me right. I lived in constant fear of her dying because of my misdeeds. Frail health… she could have died at any moment.”

Throwing her head back, Celestia let out a whoop and then she laughed. Still laughing, she rolled over in the water and then almost submerged, with only her head above the surface. And how she laughed. Following her example, Gosling also rolled in the water so that the cleansing bubbles could reach everything. As he floated, suspended in the hot embrace of water, he wondered what he was doing here, what wonderful circumstance had brought him to this place, with this mare, to share this moment.

Gosling, who had become far more canny about the goings on of this hidden life, suspected that Cadance had something to do with it. Very little was done directly and everything was a puppet show, but done in such a way to make one believe that they had achieved the end result by their own doing. Now, he was a rubber ducky in a very big bathtub with a very big mare and he had sacrificed most of his own free agency for a lifetime of drudgery and servitude. Such was life.

“What are you two doing down here?”

Startled, Gosling thrashed in the water, but Celestia wasn’t alarmed at all.

“Luna, shouldn’t you be sleeping?”

“We had a bad dream,” Luna replied as she stepped out of the shadows and revealed herself. “We are troubled, and in need of comfort. We had need of Our sister… and Our friend, so We came looking.”

With a swift, sudden movement, Luna dove into the bath, and hit the water with hardly a sound or a splash. Where Celestia had caused tidal waves, Luna scarcely stirred up a ripple. After a moment submerged, she surfaced, and her mane had become a million loose, flowing strands. When Gosling looked at her, he could only think of the secrets she was hiding, keeping from him, and this left him troubled.

Luna it seemed, was in a chatty mood, and before anypony could even ask, her troubles poured out in a flood. “We were beset by angry widows and widowers, parents, sons and daughters, brothers and sisters, all of them demanding to know why We had thrown their loved ones into the ravenous gears and machinery of war. They wanted to see the face of Our enemy, they longed for something to satisfy their hatred, but there was no face, and there was no clearly defined enemy. There were only rumours, shadows, lies, deceit, and treachery. We saw Canterlot become as a ruin, beset by rats of all things, and Our great society was toppled by Our unseen foe.”

“The rats are clearly dream symbolism to warn of something else,” Celestia said as Luna bobbed in the water beside her. “Something treacherous and sneaky that hides in plain sight.”

“The Ascendency?” Gosling hoped that he would not appear too stupid for tossing this out.

“That seems likely,” Celestia replied. “They are, indeed, scurrying rats living among us.”

“Having to deal with Grogar is bad enough, but having to also deal with the Ascendency at the same time makes everything so much harder. It feels like we are striking out at intangible shadows.” Making a bold move, Gosling reached out in the water, embraced Luna, and pulled her close without hanging on too tight. Much to his shock and surprise, she returned the embrace and he could feel her trembling against him. This wasn’t like her at all, at least from what he knew of her, and he began to worry.

In a troubled voice, Luna had this to say while she clung to Gosling: “Perhaps We should seek the help of those most equipped to deal with shadows and intangible foes—”

“You speak of the Darks.” Celestia’s voice sounded strained to Gosling’s ears when she said this.

“Yes,” Luna replied.

“The same Darks that provided magical services to Mariner—”

“A regrettable action in hindsight, yes.”

“The Darks are all mad…” Celestia said each word with exquisite slowness, drawing it out while her face contorted with disgust. “Still, such madness is an asset I tolerate, just for occasions where the enemy’s primary weapon is insanity. You cannot make mad what already is. In the past, the Darks have proven themselves most invaluable. Sinister Dark was one of my finest pupils…”

“No asset goes untapped with the two of you, does it?” Gosling asked.

“No,” both sisters said together.

“I don’t understand… if these ponies are mad, then what use are they and how do they become heroes?” Gosling relaxed his hold on Luna a little more and allowed her to cling to him, which seemed to be the trick when trying to get her to be affectionate.

“It’s like herding cats,” Celestia replied and she spoke the words with much distaste. “You draw them from their asylum, you ply them and manipulate them by offering to satiate their lusts somehow. Then you point them in the general direction of the enemy and hope that the enemy does something to enrage them. Once provoked, the fuzzy little engine of death, desolation, despair, destruction, and darkness goes on a rampage. You give this conflict a wide berth because the Darks are indiscriminate with their devastation and have no concept of friendly fire. When the conflict is done, you send an emissary to your former foe to apologise for the unpleasantness and then you offer to help clean up the mess. Hopefully, the Dark in question dies in the conflict, or barring that, is given whatever it takes to get them to go back into their dreadful asylum.”

“That’s cold, Sunshine.”

“They are the last resort option.” Celestia shook her head from side to side and her eyes glittered with some unknown emotion. “Turning to the Darks for help is the scorched earth option. It’s nice to have the option if you need it, but you dread having to use it. If it became necessary, I would dispatch a Dark towards conflict without hesitation, but I would also dread the aftermath.”

“Perhaps We can coax one out to deal with the coming conflict with the dragons,” Luna suggested. “The dragons respect strength and power above all else. The Dragon Lady Ember strives to forge a nation, and We find her actions admirable. Her cause is noble.”

“She must somehow prove herself worthy as a leader,” Celestia said, sighing out the words. “She has the most wonderful of ideas, she has courage, she has all of the right stuff to do what has never been done before. It is my sincere hope that she can do the impossible.” Pausing, her eyes became distant and unfocused as she became lost in thought. “If the opportunity presented itself, I would send aid if I could. It would be fortuitous if the right circumstances presented themselves.”

“We desire a respite from Our troubles,” Luna said in a voice that was almost—but not quite—a whine. “And maybe snuggles. We are troubled and are in need of comfort.”

“Very well, Luna. What is it that you would like to talk about while we have a good soak?”

Author's Note:

A lot went into the making of this chapter.