• Published 24th Mar 2017
  • 7,288 Views, 1,848 Comments

The Perilous Gestation of Swans - kudzuhaiku



Princess Celestia struggles to be the princess that Equestria believes her to be.

  • ...
37
 1,848
 7,288

Chapter 10

It was funny how lunch could make everything better. Well, lunch, friends, and family. Wrapped in his cloak, Gosling made his way to Domestic Services, off in search of Purple Party. A little chat was needed, a little clearing of the air. Gosling thought of his relationship with Hotspur, who was trailing him while he walked. Sometimes, Hotspur was his guard, and at other times, his friend. The ruddy red pegasus was getting Eloquence & Elocution lessons to help sort out his speech, not that there was anything wrong with a Broncs accent.

After a nice meal, Gosling was eager to get things done. The afternoon held promise and he had a full agenda. After clearing the air with Purple Party, Gosling would spend the rest of the afternoon dealing with city related issues, approving budgets, settling disputes, ensuring public safety, and he felt as though he might be ready to tackle the education budget today, which was a real monster of a task.

One thing was for certain. All of this highlighted his need to return to school, which was going to happen. He was in over his head and he knew it, it could not be argued. Without the help of aides, seasoned advisors, and ponies that actually knew what they were doing, Gosling would have fallen on his face quite some time ago. The only thing he brought to the table was a fresh perspective, and he wasn’t bogged down by partisan politics. He was neutral, he was the tiebreaker, he was the decider.

Some of the decisions he had to make scared him a great deal.


“I still have my doubts, Cadance.” Celestia, who was sprawled over a sofa in a most unprincess-like manner, wiggled around while trying to find a comfortable position. “The events of the fall have left me shaken. Adventus has left me with an extreme feeling of unease. The current political situation has me jittery. I’m not having panic attacks, those seem to be better, but I am still plagued by doubt.”

Cadance, her mane done up in a careful bun, leaned forwards a little in her chair, and gave Celestia a thoughtful look. Her pen moved, writing down a few words, and her lower lip protruded somewhat, a sign that she was lost in concentration.

“The bad dreams are getting worse, and Luna has assured me that they are not her doing. They’re just the garden variety naturally-occurring bad dream. I keep seeing bad outcomes… bad ends… from all of the things that threaten us. And yet, there is a feeling that, as a nation, we haven’t been this strong for a while. The turmoil has been good for us. The ranks of the Stiff Upper Lip swell like never before. It… it is a very confusing time and I cannot make sense of my own feelings about it.”

“Hmm.” Cadance turned over a fresh page in her notebook, lifted up her glass of water, and took a short, quick sip. “Closer to home, how do you feel about Gosling and Luna?”

“What do you mean?” Celestia asked.

“Don’t be coy,” Cadance replied.

With an almost foalish expression, Celestia eyeballed her niece while fidgeting on the sofa, trying to find the ever-so-elusive comfortable position. “Very well, Cadance. I’ve found that I have some… feelings about them? That sounds worse than it is.”

“Jealousy?” One of Cadance’s eyebrows lifted.

“Not in the way you think.” Laying on her stomach, Celestia stretched out her neck and rested her head on the plush, overstuffed arm of the sofa. “I find myself a little jealous of Gosling at times—”

“Jealous… of Gosling?” Cadance’s expression became one of intense surprise as her professional mask broke. “That is not something I expected, at all. Please forgive my sudden interruption.”

“She’s my sister…” Celestia’s speech was soft, but not quite a whisper. “I’m her big sister… her protector. Her guardian. I’m supposed to be the one that makes things better. But… Gosling… he… is… better at it than I am. And sometimes, I hate him for it. There, I said it.”

Cadance sat there in stunned shock, unable to respond.

“Why can’t it be me? Why can’t I be the one that makes Luna feel better? Why can’t I reach her? It bugs me! She’s my sister! Do you have any idea how long she and I have been together? I can remember Luna being born and thinking to myself about all of the ways my life was going to change. I’m supposed to be the big sister, the pony that knows her better than anypony else… but the proud peacock just comes swooping in and the next thing you know, he’s a better friend to her than I am.”

“I’m not sure it’s fair of you to say that—”

“But it is true, Cadance!” Celestia’s long, perfect ears drooped until they rested against the sides of her face. “I feel terrible about being jealous over it, because Luna is happy and I want Luna happy… she’s happier now than she’s been in a long time… before the fall even. Now, I understand that friendship can’t cure mental illness, I get that, and I can maybe accept that Luna is bipolar, that she waxes and wanes with her moon, but her moods haven’t been this stable since… well, I can’t even think of a time, it’s been so long. The mania she suffers isn’t as bad and her depressive states, she doesn’t seem to sink quite so low.”

“That’s good.” Cadance smiled and was about to say more, but Celestia kept going.

“Why couldn’t I have been the one? I’m her sister, Cadance… this feels like failure.”

“This has been bothering you for a while, hasn’t it?” Cadance asked, and when she spoke, a strand of her mane slipped free of her bun, only to spill down the side of her face.

With a half-hearted nod, Celestia let out a sigh. “It’s worse than I’m letting on, to be honest. Sometimes, it… it really just eats at my insides. I’ve been angrier lately, losing my temper more, and I understand that I am naturally more aggressive in my current state, but this has been a huge factor in how cross I’ve been as of late.”

“Well then, Auntie, we need to sort this out…”


Purple Party seemed a little nervous, but that was to be expected. The stallion was almost hiding behind his desk. His office was small, cluttered, and crowded, making it obvious that he had been doing this job for a very long time. On the walls, pictures of foals had been hung, a life measured in photographs. Standing in the doorway, Gosling took all of this in with a few sweeping glances, and then he focused on Purple Party himself.

The unicorn was doing his best to act as though nothing was wrong.

“I wanted to apologise,” Gosling said, using his most gracious, most well-practiced voice. “It was wrong of me to holler at you, even if you disappointed me and let me down.” He heard a hard swallow from Purple Party, and the stallion’s jaw began moving up and down. “Something you’d like to say?”

“Am I going to lose my job?” Purple Party asked.

All of the anger from earlier returned, but Gosling held it in. No apology, no admission of failure, no promise to do better or make it right. Nothing of what Gosling expected. With anger came disappointment and the sensation of his ears being on fire. He wanted to rant and rave, he wanted to shout, he wanted to make Purple Party understand just how much he had screwed up.

“I’m six years away from retirement and a pension.” Mister Party’s words held a fearful quaver.

A great many terrible words almost spilled out of Gosling’s mouth, a military-grade chastisement, a real dressing down. But he bit his tongue, and the sudden pain snapped him back into focus. He looked away and looked at a picture of a filly on the wall. She had braces and her mane was done up in pigtails. Why were they called pigtails, anyhow?

“It’s funny,” Gosling allowed himself to say, “for a pony so worried about their job, you’re really lousy at doing it. You were given a simple set of instructions, and you ignored them completely.” While speaking, Gosling’s eyes focused upon a sun medallion, hung from a hook on the wall, an icon of faith. Seeing it gave him a mental pause and both of his eyebrows rose.

Purple Party was hardly even breathing at the moment.

“Say, tell me… how do you think your beloved Sun Goddess feels about you hating her sister? The tenets of her faith state that forgiveness and mercy are the two great ideals. So, let me tell you what I’m going to do. I’m going to forgive you, even though you don’t deserve it, and I’m going to be merciful. You can keep your job, but I’ll never, ever have need of your services.”

In a very calm manner, Gosling backed out of the room, giving Purple Party a parting nod as he did so, then turned around and walked away with his head held high. Hotspur shut the door, leaving Mister Party in his office, alone. All things considered, Gosling felt rather proud of himself for how he had handled this.


Wiping her eyes, Celestia felt better after a good cry. She was laying on her back now, spread out in the most undignified position one could imagine, with one hind leg propped up and resting on the back of the sofa, with the other hanging off of the side. There was nothing regal about her state of repose—and Celestia was fine with that.

Resting on her stomach was a bright red box made of waxed cardboard, and inside, there was a perforated cardboard tray. The box had been full of chocolate covered cherries, twenty-four of them, the really good kind with the bourbon syrup. With Cadance’s help, she had destroyed it.

Cadance, sitting in her chair, had a smear of chocolate on her upper lip, and her fuzzy chin was sticky. Not that she cared. For she and her aunt were examples of the most majestic of all creatures; the pregnant, foal-bearing alicorn. After the intense heart to heart, sustenance had been needed, and Celestia had a stockpile stashed away.

“I need a soda,” Cadance remarked.

“Cadance, darling, gas.” Celestia made a dismissive wave with her hoof.

“I don’t care.” Cadance sniffed. “I’m a princess. Shining Armor thinks it is the funniest thing ever and no matter what I do, I can’t even begin to match the epic grossness that is my daughter, Flurry Heart.”

“You make a fine point.” Closing her eyes for a moment, Celestia scratched her stomach with her hoof, which caused her leg hanging off of the sofa to begin twitching. “Drinking a soda would mean getting up from this position, and I just got comfortable.”

“Relax gravity a little bit and go nuts.”

“Cadance, darling, you’ve become so practical.”

“I had a fantastic teacher.” Cadance concentrated, and with a pop, two bottles of Cadance~Cola appeared, conjured up from the castle cellars. With practiced-ease, she popped the caps and passed one bottle to her aunt. Already, Cadance could tell that one bottle wouldn’t be enough, the twelve ounce bottles were perfect for little ponies, not full sized majestic alicorns who bore the the weight of an empire upon their withers. With a sigh, she knew that she would need to conjure more.

Holding her bottle of Cadance~Cola, Celestia stared at the pink, bubbling liquid and appeared to be lost in thought. The scent of bubblegum and cotton candy perfumed the air, the signature scents of the effervescent pink soda loved by millions. As the sofa creaked beneath her impressive bulk, she rubbed her own belly a bit more, trying to rid herself of a growing cramp.

“I have never felt more beautiful than I am right now,” Celestia announced, and she radiated all of the splendour her reclining form could muster.

“Me too,” Cadance agreed.

“We are beautiful.” Celestia stuck out her tongue and made a silly face.

“We are sexy.” Cadance nodded in agreement and then she began trying to lick away the stickiness from her chin. “Auntie…”

“Yes?”

“It’s another alicorn… I can sense it.”

“Cadance, darling, Sleet deserves a raise. Do it now, before you drop this news on her.”

“I know.” After a moment, she added, “I will.”

Author's Note:

This might need a few more edits. A fresh upload might happen later. For now, have a 3:10 AM chapter.