• Published 15th Mar 2017
  • 524 Views, 3 Comments

Equestrian Railroads through the years. - Steampunkman



The Crystal Empire Railroad never had the easiest time getting big in the early days, lack luster motive power, bad decisions from management and even political problems.

  • ...
 3
 524

Working with what you got

The train that Valve and his fellows were making good time, with the hard barking of an Ex NER small goods engine they soon reached the transfer yard at Ponyville. From this point Canterlot is a hop skip and a jump away, but with the added challenge of a ruling grade of 2.6% for nearly three miles requiring the need for a helper engine for trains nearing 300 tons in weight. As the train pulled into the yards Ballast hopped out of the caboose and made his way over to the yard house to request help over the grade, but not without getting interrupted by Full Throttle.

"Say Ballast, can't help but notice your bro being quite when we left. He can't really be upset over one engine right?" She said with a mixture of concern and some teasing.

"Well it's not that he's upset, more of a "Oh dear Celestia did I screw up my first job" kinda thing. The stallion replied. "He's had this problem since we were colts but... Look it's nothing, I gotta see about getting help up to Canterlot, I'll be back in a sec." Ballast said off handily while walking off.

With that Throttle turned back and returned to the engine, on her way back she saw Valve regressing the joints of the engines, which relieved her a little seeing as how he can still do work. Part of her really wanted to go over and check to make sure but could she really help him? Ballast said said that this happened in the past... Maybe letting him be on his own is for the best, if it gets worse then she'll talk to him.

Valve was only greasing the joints to distract him from two thoughts that had been plaguing him for the whole trip, on one hoof he was given the wrong list and the 2-8-0 was swapped out for the 2-4-0, which case he won't have anything to worry about. Or he took the smaller engine for no reason and with no proper heavy freight engine the railroad will lose more money and he'll be sacked. Between the two options he knew which one he preferred but reality has a funny way of having situations go south more often than not.

With the engines ready for the last leg of the trip he saw Ballast walking back out of the yard office and he waved to his brother. "Hey Ballast, any luck with that helper?"

"For once these snobs are gonna give us a hand but it's gonna be an old express engine that'll get sent to the scrapyard when we get there." Ballast says while turning his attention to a very old looking 2-2-2 engine with a name plate saying "Prince Blueblood" over the 8'6' diameter wheel.

Valve's mouth dropped open in disbelief as all previous thoughts were replaced with the singular thought about how much he hated the NER. "Are they bucking serious!? Those things could never climb hills, everypony knows that! Ignoring the fact that is older then Celestia it was built for speed only! And even then they were out classed by the King Grovers a few months later!"

"I know Valve!" Ballast shouted back almost giving him a wake up punch to the arm before stopping himself. "Look, I know it's bad, I know they're only helping us to take out their trash and I know you hate the NER. But we gotta take four engines up that hill and we need all the help we can get." Ballast noticed the Blueblood moving into position and went over to help get it connected leaving Valve to go let Smokebox and Throttle know.

Upon reaching the engine Valve started explaining the situation, while trying not to blow his top. "Well at least we got some help, I should go back and make sure they know our whistle codes." Throttle said as she steped out of the cab and headed back. Valve was about to do the same when Smokebox finally spoke up.

"I give it about a two miles before that thing breaks down, then it'll be extra weight for us to carry." Valve knew he was right, an old engine like the Blueblood just isn't cut out for this kind of work.

"Say Valve, I think it'd be best if you stayed up front now. If that weasel pops then we're gonna be working our flanks off and I could use help keeping pressure up."

It wouldn't take much convincing from the soot black stallion for Valve to stay in the cab, it did help that Valve enjoyed riding in the cabs more then the caboose. Meanwhile at the rear of the train. "Right just to make sure we're clear. We'll only go at low speed so just remember that two short blast means forwards, one short means stop and apply brakes and constant whistling means emergency."

The engineer of Blueblood nods. "Don't worry miss, we'll do what we can to get you kiddo's over the hill." He chuckles to himself leaning out of the cab.

Throttle can only roll her eyes as she heads back to the front, passing ballast who gave the all clear and let her know that Valve was going to ride in the cab this time. No real problem there since Valve knows how to help around the cab.

Once she reached the locomotive she leaned out the cab waiting for Ballast' signal to head out, with a wave of his hand she gave two short whistle blast and the train was under way. From the front came the loud chuffing associated with freight locomotives as black smoke was shot high into the air. And at the rear the Blueblood gave her all to push, she wasn't as loud as the small 0-6-0 engine ahead but the crew did want to give the engine everything she had for this last run. And so far things were going well, the cavalcade of new and old engines, while only going 10-12mph, was still an impressive sight for any onlookers seeing two old engines move four new locos up the steep incline.

During the climb Valve leaned out the cab and saw the first mile post come into view. "We're already a third the way done, we might've been wrong about that dinosaur pushing us!" Valve shouted over the barking of the 0-6-0 when a deafening bang was heard from behind them followed by rapid whistle blast, each one getting quieter and quieter. Throttle slammed on the brakes as Valve jumped out of the cab and ran back to see the damage from the Blueblood. He was shocked when he saw what happened, Blueblood's right cylinder had exploded with steam escaping rapidly, Valve ran to see if the crew was alright and thankfully nothing had happened to them. "What the name of tartarus happened!?" He shouted.

The firepony set the brakes and jumped out the cab next to Valve as the engineer tried to shut the regulator. "No clue, we looked her over before we headed out! The piston must have been more worn then we thought!" He exclaimed as the Blueblood finally ran out of steam and slumped backwards now resting on her brakes.

By this point the sun was setting and darkness started to take over, the crew of Blueblood, Valve and Ballast all talked through the options available. As it got darker the only choices were to either head back to Poniville and wait over night for another one or two helper engines, which wouldn't be the wisest option since having the power of two engines to control the train downhill. Or they could try climbing the rest of the hill, which could be done without Blueblood albeit with more work, fuel consumption and significantly reduced speed.

"We might as well keep going forwards, the Blueblood was only needed for extra help. If we go back we can't get new help and would have to restart the whole thing." Valve explained to the other three. "We have to get these engines delivered by tomorrow morning and we can't guarantee anymore "help" from the NER." The other three agreed and set to work picking up the pieces of the blown up cylinder and undid Blueblood's brakes while Valve made his way up to deliver the bad news.

"Great, that's 500 plus tons of wood and metal we gotta move up two miles of 2.6% grade with an engine that struggles on 300 ton trains." Throttle said crossing her hooves, she was cross but kept her eye out back for when the three back there are on board and ready to head out.

Smokebox grunted as he picked up a shovel. "Humph, good thing I don't gamble, that thing only went half as far as I guessed. Valve, you mind watching the water gauges, I'll handle the coal." Valve nodded his head, the air was thick with tension as they waited for the signal, none of them wanted to do this but they had to, all three were determined to get this train to Canterlot. Then the Ballast gave the signal to move forward, two short blast of the whistle and they were off, backwards as the little 0-6-0 tried to get it's grip. With a lot of grunt and some sand they were finally off going forwards, the small engine barking up a storm of smoke and sparks as she dragged the train up and a crawling pace, 1...2...3...4mph was all she could manage which was fine since Ballast could run up to the cab to give them some good news.

"Luckily we were the last train scheduled to come up today, looks like they were gonna have the Blueblood run light behind us." Ballast said giving the crew some breathing room.

"Good, did they drop the fire before we got moving?" Smokebox asked to which Ballast smiled and nodded. With that bit of good news given Ballast returned to the caboose leaving the three to keep boiler pressure high, water in the boiler and the fire burning hot. Even then the engine struggled hard to keep going as the heavy train pulled against her.

Soon enough the second mile post came into view and things were going alright. "Good news, we should be there soon enough, how're we doing on fuel?" Throttle turned back and asked.

Smokebox went back to check the water, but when he returned he had bad news. "Not good, at this rate we'll run dry before reaching Canterlot, we could try taking Blueblood's remaining water."

"That'll mean stopping again, but we don't have a choice." Throttle applied the brakes again and the train stopped, Smokebox climbed out and went back to the caboose and banged on the door.

"Grab the buckets and help us out, we need water from the scrap heap!" With that the four grabbed as many buckets, using a drainage pipe the the four started bringing buckets of water forward, with the help of Valve as well it took another 35 minutes to move all the water out of Blueblood. With that they couldn't wait any longer and got back to work grunting the train up the hill.

It took a while but the train reached 3mph, nopony dared to push harder as darkness surrounded them, between the chuffs of the little engine Valve could hear the groaning metal of the cold locomotives behind them. Eventually they noticed the speed increase, the three ponies were working so hard they didn't notice the grade flatten, looking forwards then to the back of the train they noticed that they passed the third and final mile post.

"YES! We did it, we beat the hill!" The three shouted and cheered, against the odds and the helper losing it's piston before the halfway point they were able to pull five engines, a boxcar and a caboose over the hill and into Canterlot. Soon enough they reached the rail yard and were directed onto a siding near the engine repair shop. Some yard hands came out to refuel the small freight engine and disconnect Blueblood from the train which was eventually taken away.

The two stallions that came with up the hill left them to go rest for a return train to Ponyville early in the morning. Throttle and Smokebox also left to go home, mostly cause they've been up for 18 hours. Leaving Valve and Ballast alone in the yard. "So Valve, now that we're back do you think the 2-4-0 will be a problem?"

Valve sighed as the cold air rolled in. "Probably, these engines are much bigger then anything the NER has. Which is fine since these things will be better then what we got, but why go to the Minotaurs for engines and not the NER?"

Ballast shook his head as he looked onto the engines. "Who knows what management is thinking. Might have something to do with the our Northern neighbors. Anyways it's late, we gotta get up early tomorrow." Ballast walked off with Valve following a few minutes later.

Author's Note:

So here's hoping that this chapter is an improvement over the first one, as always criticism is happily appreciated.

Oh and for those of you who want to see what the engines in this chapter.

The 0-6-0.

And that 2-2-2 that played Prince Blueblood.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment