• Published 12th Jul 2012
  • 1,026 Views, 5 Comments

Alternative Harmony - FableTail



Twilight Sparkle must find the Elements of Harmony and stop the evil rising in Equestria.

  • ...
2
 5
 1,026

Midnights and Mornings

Chapter 1

Twilight Sparkle, a light purple unicorn with a neat cut mane and tail of a dark shade of indigo with streaks of purple and pink, closed up the history of Equestria book she had been studying.

And although she would rather continue reading it, it was high time she got herself to bed. As the Princess of Equestria, she had duties to attend to in the morning.

Her horn glowed a faint purple-pink as she levitated the book to its correct spot on a large bookshelf.

Twilight trotted out of her castles’ library and up a winding staircase that would lead to a corridor with three doors.

One would led to her older brothers’ room, Prince Shining Armor, another would lead to her fathers’ room, the King of Equestria, and the last would take her to her own room.

She tip-hoofed to her room, careful as to not wake anypony up, and gently nudged her, slightly ajar, door open with her snout.

Thankful that it did not make a squeaking noise, she hurriedly went into her room and used her back leg to close the door until it shut with a click.

Her room was a neat and organized place of studying and regality. There was a corner with a wooden desk complete with a phoenix quill and parchment ready for writing, and a wall completely devoted to shelves of books of all genres.

A smaller corner consisted of a room divider, used as a dressing screen, a large wardrobe, and a vanity with a large mirror. And on the adjacent corner to the left was a quaint little area for Twilights’ servant, Spike.

There was a small plush bed that was purple and green to match the purple and green baby dragon who was currently snoring on it in a deep sleep.

The entire interior of the room itself was carefully designed to match the color scheme of Twilight Sparkle. The walls were light purple, the floors covered in plush red carpeting. Her furniture ranged from purple, to indigo, and pink. Some with white or red trims.

Her bed was queen size and had the softest and snuggliest comforter she had ever known.

On her way to her bed she glanced at a large secondary mirror, a habit she detested, and smiled briefly from what she saw.

Then she clambered onto her bed, planting her forehooves onto the comforter and pushing the rest of her body up, backhooves attempting to ‘grapple’ onto the side of the bed.

She resulted in being belly down on the bed, and crawling over to her pillows.

Remembering she was wearing her tiara, Twilight levitate the golden, sapphire encrusted headpiece to her night stand. She smiled softly at the center jewel, a large six-pointed star ruby that resembled her cutie mark.

A sweet memory of how she found the Element of Magic and received her cutie mark played in her head as she casted a protection ward on the tiara and drifted to sleep.


Mumbling in her sleep, the lavender unicorn shifted under her covers. Her body was warm and she felt half-aware of her surroundings. Her eyes were shut tightly, her brain feeling numb from relaxation.

“Princess Twilight?” A voice called from her side. Twilight shifted in reaction to the sound, her ears twitching.

“Princess Sparkle.” The voice was familiar, and carried a stern tone. But Twilight didn’t have the will to open her eyes, sleep just seemed to alluring.

“Twilight!” The high-pitched child-like voice shouted, dropping the formalities. This woke the unicorn up, and she pushed the covers off with her backlegs then straightened herself. Her purple eyes darted to the side where they met green ones.

“Schedule.” She ordered in a groggy voice, taking a hoof and rubbing her eyes with it in an attempt to get rid of the SandMares’ sand.

Spike bowed slightly at the royal unicorn before jumping off the queen bed and walking over to the writing desk.

“Your, majesty~” The purple unicorn turned her head to look at a white pony with a red, pink, and white mane. Said mare had been using a sing-song voice when she addressed Twilight, and was now smiling at the princess.

“Good morning, Sweet Plum.” Twilight said politely. The white mare bowed before trotting into the room a little more, she had been standing at the doorway.

“While Spike rounds up your schedule, I’m here to announce the events and fix up your mane.” She was already at the vanity and wardrobe, picking out dresses and make-up.

Twilight tilted her head in confusion. “But Flitter Heart usually helps me in the morning…” She did not like that her only friend, besides her brother and Spike, was not present for their morning talks.

“Flitter is tied up with other maid duties.” Sweet Plum answered as she took a dress out of the wardrobe. “Hmm, no. Too blue.” She placed it neatly back into the wardrobe and hummed a tune as she looked over the dresses again.

Twilight deemed that as an ok excuse. Though she was still ruffled from the fact that she hadn’t been warned or told ahead of time.

Sweet Plum seemed to notice this as she pulled out a yellow dress and trotted over to the unicorn with said dress in her teeth.

She placed her forehooves on the bed and gently laid the dress down before pushing off and smiling encouragingly at the princess. “It came up just this morning so Flitter couldn’t tell you, but she said she’ll make it up to you tomorrow morning with your favorite treat.” This made Twilight smile, and she levitated the dress up and slipped it on.

“Thank you Sweet Plum.” The purple princess then jumped off the bed, landing on her hooves, and trotted over to her little dragon servant, though was stopped by the white maid who called for her again.

Sweet Plum had a purple horse brush with a white trim in her mouth, and she motioned for the unicorn to step closer. Then she brushed Twilights’ mane and tail, ridding it of kinks and straitening it just the way the princess liked it.

When she was done she placed the brush on the vanity and bowed.

“Announcements; There is an Equestria meeting today in the Throne Room and the King requests you come by, and there is a special lesson for you today with your tutor.” The red maned maid said before smiling at Twilight and trotting out of the room.

“Yes! Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!” Twilight seemed excited as she levitated her tiara over to herself and then placed it on her head. She inspected herself in the mirror for a moment, and then she trotted over to Spike.

“Spike, when’s my lesson?” The baby dragon had been munching on a blue gem, and then turned his green eyes to Twilight as he held up the schedule. The princess scanned it quickly and smiled.

“Perfect, thanks Spike!” She levitated another gem to the dragon, Twilight had a stash of them as rewards for Spike, and earned an impish smile.

“You’re the best, Twi’!” He left the desk to munch on the gem, leaving the seat out for Twilight.

The princess sat down and used a simple spell to summon her journal of speeches. The unicorn had to speak in front of Canterlot today for the celebration the opening of a new high-class restaurant.

Since she had a whole hour free of things to do, she quickly levitated her phoenix quill to scribble, though in neat hoofwriting, ‘Study’ on her schedule. Then the unicorn cracked open her journal and began to read.

Comments ( 1 )

The story is a little slow here but will pick up in the next chapter. And yes. Flitter Heart and Sweet Plum are actually based off of those toy ponies. Although I can't remember Sweet Plums' actual name.... Perhaps it is Sweet Plum. I don't no.

:derpytongue2:

Login or register to comment