• Published 1st Jul 2012
  • 933 Views, 8 Comments

Was There Ever Any Doubt? - Dabah



A short story of Trixie's past that is based on an idea for a story I had a few months ago.

  • ...
 8
 933

Coming to Terms

As the sun rose gently across the plain near the small town of Roricksteed, a young filly awoke from her sleep. It was the day that her father, Gimmick Lulamoon, was to depart from Roricksteed and travel Equestria in an effort at furthering his studies in magic. Gimmick was adept in his magical skills. He was once a great performer and hero to many, known far and wide for is feats and abilities.

“Daddy?” said Trixie with a tired voice “Do you really have to go?”
He could feel the sadness in her question and as he held back the tears he knelt down to Trixie and gave her a kiss on the forehead.

“Yes my dear little filly. All ponies must eventually face their destiny.”
He turned to Trixie’s mother Beatrix. Still holding back tears, Gimmick hugged Beatrix and held her as if it would be the last time they would be together. “You’d better be back in one piece my love” said Beatrix, trying to lighten the atmosphere of the room.

“I’ve faced a 5-headed hydra; I think I can handle whatever comes at me down the road” Gimmick said with a smirk.

“Bye daddy, I’ll train to be a great magician like you someday!” Gimmick smiled, gave his little daughter one last hug and left.
Everypony in town seemed upset that he had decided to go, but was to his belief that to become better in the arcane arts, he would become a better unicorn.

“Mommy…” said Trixie with eyes full of tears “Will daddy ever come home?” “Don’t worry my dear Trixie, there isn’t any doubt in my mind… He’ll be home”

As some years past Trixie kept to her word, when she wasn’t busy helping her mother at the general goods store that her mother had purchased with the money he had been sending or at school, she would be constantly reading books of magic and a few of the less important scrolls that her father had left behind.

There was one book in particular that she loved. It was entitled:

“The Masterful Illusionist: A Guide to Gaining the Upper-hoof in Any Situation.”

Most of what she had learned came from the pages of this very book. She would combine a little of what she had learned from basic spell scrolls with the guides found in her favorite book.
It wasn’t before long when she was performing in front of a crowd at the town-square that she had earned her cutie mark. She had a talent for the performing magic that she had been studying.

Trixie ran to her home and burst through the door. “I did it mother!” Trixie exclaimed “I earned my cutie mark! My talent is magic just like father! See? Look mother!”

“My my, I’m sure he’d be so proud to see his daughter performing magic just like him. Would you like to write about it to him in the next letter we send?” Beatrix asked.

“No! Don’t tell him! I want it to be a surprise!” Trixie shouted.

Trixie paused, then said “He’s gonna be home soon though… right mother?”

Beatrix smiled, “I’m sure he will be home soon dear… there’s no doubt in my mind.”

More years passed by and soon enough the letter and money from Gimmick had stopped. Trixie had grown old enough to be on her own and she had learned all she could from the books in Roricksteed, as well as the collection her father left behind.

She yearned to see her father again and share her stories of years of training and learning from other unicorns wandering through the town on their way to other towns throughout Equestria.

“Father isn’t coming home… is he?” Trixie asked her mother in a serious tone.

“For once, I truly don’t think that he’ll be back any time soon” Beatrix answered.

“Mother… I’m old enough and I know enough magic…” Trixie was interrupted. “No. If I’ve lost your father then I’m not losing you too!” Beatrix shouted with sadness in her voice.

“I promise you mother, that I will find father and I will be back home” Trixie explained. “Trixie…” her mother said in a saddened tone.

“Mother… please… All ponies must eventually face their destiny” Trixie said softly.

“You’re right Trixie, there’s nothing I can do to stop you. I knew this day would eventually come… you’re so much like your father.”

The next morning Trixie was prepared to leave, she would take the old pull-cart which she had converted into a small mobile home. “Before you leave, I’d like to give you something” Beatrix gave Trixie a clock and hat. “These were once your father’s things, very long ago. He always said that they were lucky.”

“Thank you mother, I promise that I will be home soon enough. Don’t ever doubt that”

Trixie went off in the direction of a nearby town. She planned to find out anything she could about her father and where he may be while making a bit of money on the side by performing to send to her mother.

She traveled across many parts of Equestria over the next several months. She would be challenged by others and she would best them at their own performance. As the months went by however, she heard less about her father and grew more confident in her performance. That confidence soon turned into arrogance and she grew more concerned with performing than actually finding her father.

She eventually came to terms that her father either left his family for his own selfishness or simply didn’t care for them anymore. She grew sad, and felt that she was unaccepted, that she could only rely on herself anymore. She began speaking of herself in third person as a sort of coping mechanism.

She continued to best others and eventually began boasting and telling others of tales that never happened. She would tell stories of herself fighting hydra and manticore, when it was actually the true stories of her father’s adventures.

“At least I am getting some use from my father’s travels” She would think.

After she performed at a small town just outside of Hoofington, she was approached by an old Pegasus just as she was on her way.

“Excuse me, are you by any chance the daughter Gimmick Lulamoon?”

“Yes, he was once the father of Trixie, but that was long ago. Why do you ask the great and powerful Trixie of this concern?”

“Because he was once here just a few months ago, he had lived here for a full two years learning all he could from a friend of mine. He’s greatly gifted in the art of magic and I’m glad to see that it runs in the family. Any who, he told me that he was headed for Ponyville, a town just north of here”

“Hmpf” Trixie scoffed. “I no longer seek my father. What he does is no longer of Trixie’s concern!” She began making her way out of the town.

“Well… ok then. Safe travels!” The old Pegasus waved goodbye.
Trixie felt a bit of hope left in the back of her mind so she decided to make her way to Ponyville in an attempt at one last chance to find her father.

The following takes place after the events that took place in the episode “Boast Busters” but just before the Ursa Minor rampaged through Ponyville.

Trixie returned to her small mobile cottage after asking around Ponyville. She had but one lead, that her father was somewhere in Canterlot. She was not sure of this lead however and could end up being a dead-end. She pondered whether she should even continue her quest to find her father or just continue performing. She was sure of herself that nopony else
could best her at what she does. When suddenly…

Queue the Ursa attack.

After being bested by Twilight Sparkle and knowing that there was a slight chance her father was in Canterlot, she galloped away toward that very location, crying. Trixie realized that there were actually other ponies who were much more talented than her.

She remembered the real reason she set out on this journey in the first place. To find her father and return home to her worried mother. She had lost everything when the Ursa attacked and decided she had no choice.
She had no doubt in her mind that she wouldn’t find her father… or so she hoped.

Comments ( 6 )

I feel like the story is moving pretty fast. Also, even after the note of referring to herself in 3rd person, she still talked in 1st person. But aside from that, I like the concept of her going on a journey to look for her father, and passed through Ponyville on the journey.

841631 I'll need to work on my writing skills then, I'm open for criticism since this is the first piece of writing that I've ever shared anywhere

841713 :derpyderp1: Sorry about that. I did feel like I rushed it now that I re-read it. Hopefully I can do better in the future

An interesting idea, although it does feel a bit rushed-- but maybe that is me. I'm a giant stickler for details and juicy bits of plot. I bet you I rewrote the first chapter to my fanfic 50 times before I was satisfied with it :rainbowwild:

Anywho, keep at it. I am sure you will get better.

I think its a good start. Hang in there. :twilightsmile:

There was one part where it mentioned her mother gave her a 'clock' and a hat.
I don't think she has a clock, I think she has a cloak.:trixieshiftright:
Anywho, I think it was a really good idea, I like it!
Moar says Assertiveshy :flutterrage:

Login or register to comment