• Published 10th Oct 2017
  • 2,428 Views, 193 Comments

Does it matter if I am a changeling or not? - General Sparky



A changeling guard fled the changeling hive to find a new life. What she finds will change her view on what is the meaning of love and friendship and her view on Equestria as a whole..

  • ...
13
 193
 2,428

In between

Canterlot, Morning

Derpy, dressed in her royal guard armour, flew into the Canterlot castle and entered the the Captain's office.

"Captain, you wanted to see me?" Derpy asked.

"Yes." Shining Armor replied. "I want to talk to you about something very important." Shining Armor guestured for Derpy to sit down and so she did.

"Derpy, as you know, I am married to Princess Cadence. Celestia has told me to go to a location in the North to protect it from a looming threat. She has also told me to go there to rule as a Prince should the threat be defeated."

"So what has that to do with me?" Derpy asked.

"Since I will be in the North as a Prince, it means I have to step down from being the Captain of the Royal Guard."

"You want me to take your position? But why? There is so many officers out there for you to pick from. I am just some wall-eyed mare that gets into trouble almost everyday." Derpy stated.

"Derpy, how can you say that about yourself? Sure, you have some mishaps in Ponyville, but you are great at being a guard. In fact, you are my first pony that comes to my mind when I was told to choose a successor." Shining said, trying to lift up Derpy's spirits.

"Thank you for the offer, Captain. But I don't think I am the right mare for the job." Derpy said.

"Says the mare who raised a dragon. Derpy, you did something that ponies rarely could do. You may think that you are a clumsy mare but you are much more than that." Shining replied. Derpy was speechless. She raised Toothless out of kindness and she still have to sent him away. (Or at least that is what Shining know) How is that a great achievement?

"Raising a dragon is simple once you know how. Besides, isn't your sister Twilight doing the same thing?" Derpy retaliated.

"Derpy, you see too little of yourself. Tell me, how does one with a lazy eye still become a marksmen?"

"It was an accident?" Derpy replied.

"There are no such things as accidents. So, do you want to take the post? Or do I have to get somepony else?" Shining asked, hoping that Derpy will accept it.

"Shining, I am sorry, but I have to decline the offer. I have to look after Dinky and I just don't have the time to be the Captain of the royal guard."

"I respect your decision, Derpy. If you ever change your mind, you know where to find me." Shining Armor said, despite not liking Derpy's decision.

"On other note, I would like you to lead a squad down to one of our outpost that has been blown to bits by the attackers. Investigate this and see if this is made by Equestria's enemies."

"Orders received, Captain."

"Good, you are dismissed, 2nd Lieutenant." Shining Armor said. Derpy stood up and left his office.

As Derpy was making her way to the Castle's entrance, Toothless came out under her helmet and appeared and grew in front of her, blocking her way. Toothless looked at her, "Woroo."

"Why did I decline the offer? Toothless, I am not about to leave Ponyville just to get a desk job in Canterlot! I mean who will look after Dinky and my friends if I moved to Canterlot?"

"Woroo." he nudged Derpy's shoulder.

"Look, he still has like what what 5 officers to choose from. I am pretty sure that they will do their job just fine."

"Woroo. hmmp."

"Toothless, don't you think it is a little soon for that?"

"Woroo." Toothless said, while shaking his head.

"We better not do that. I don't want her to be worried for no reason."

"Woroo."

"Fine, we will tell her."

"Roowo." Toothless said, showing his tongue before running down the hallway, towards the throne room. Derpy ran after him, but is unable to match Toothless's speed. Note to self: Never get into a speed competition with him.

Toothless burst into the throne room, seeing Celestia talking to a pony of nobility. The dragon's appearance scared the pony and the pony cowered. Derpy entered the throne room a while later,her panting heavy when she was entered. Noticing the pony cowering in Toothless's presence, she walked towards the cowering pony and escorted him outside before closing the two metal doors.

"I must say that was an interesting way to break up a court session, Derpy." Celestia said calmly.

"I wouldn't have entered if Toothless didn't barged in here, Your Majesty." Derpy said, pushing the blame to Toothless.

"Derpy, just call me Celestia next time. You don't have to call me 'Your Majesty' all the time, especially it is just between us now."

"Sorry, hard to get rid of what you are used to." Derpy said.

"So Toothless, what brings you here to my court?" Celestia asked.

"Woroo. Roohhmph." Toothless said.

"I am sorry Toothless, I don't speak Night Fury language. Do you mind speaking in Equestrian to me?"

"Woroo, roowo, hmphroo."

"Thanks Toothless, as if I need a reminder." Derpy said sarcastically.

"I still don't get it. Do you mind explaining what he said to me?" Celestia asked.

"Tia, you really need to improve on Night Fury language." Derpy said, hiding a smirk on her face.

"Derpy! I thought we agreed to use that name in private."

"I am pretty sure that no one is listening to us now. Toothless will prevent anyone from entering, besides I have cast a silencing spell, no one will know what we are saying."

"You cast the spell already? But you are still in disguise That is not possible!" Celestia yelled in shock.

"Tia, you have much more to learn about being a princess. How else did you think I managed to stay in power for as long a I did?"

"You know I can't take you seriously in that disguise. Could you please remove your disguise, I want to talk to my mother, not some guard."

"Sure, Tia, only for you." Derpy said as she removed her royal guard armour before transforming to an Alicorn with a grey body, a golden horn, wings and mane. She spread her wings freely, after staying in disguise for so long, it was good to finally set it free and let it relax. At her current Stature, Derpy towered over Princess Celestia, her shadow covering most of Celestia's body. Derpy stood on her hind legs, straighten her back and inspected herself. Standing on her hind legs, her horn could almost touch the ceiling, Celestia looked like a filly to her, her wingspan was impressive and if not for her equally impressive horn, she could have easily been mistaken as an adult dragon. She got back on her fore hooves after that quick inspection.

Toothless remove his disguise alongside with Derpy. Toothless went from scary to absolutely terrifying in the matter of seconds. He grew proportionate to Derpy's size so that he could carry Derpy on his back even at her current size. He was larger than Derpy, his wingspan was, without question, the longest in the room, he could effectively touch the sides of the throne room with the tip of his wings. Although it was tempting to do so, Toothless kept his wings strictly folded. He didn't want to risk damaging the Throne room's walls by stretching his wings. His body was very long, long enough that his tail fin made contact with the stairs leading to Celestia's throne. Toothless (surprisingly) matched Derpy in height. Derpy and Toothless was taller than a two storey building which means that Derpy and Toothless were bigger than Derpy's house in Ponyville! Without a doubt, an average pony could have ran under either Toothless's or Derpy's legs.

If an average pony was in Celestia's position, they would likely ran out of the throne room in an instant. Celestia, however, stood there and couldn't help but stare at the two giants in the throne room. "Woah. Did you two drink some growth serum or something? You have grown so much since I last saw you out of disguise." Celestia asked.

"No. It is natural for us to grow to this size. Toothless and I were born even before Hearth's Warming, remember?" Derpy said.

"Anyway, on to serious business. What Toothless is saying is that the Royal Guard is experimenting with advanced weaponry. The question is, do you know about this?" Derpy asked.

"No. I don't know. I don't understand. Why would the Royal Guard do something like that?" Celestia said, sounding concerned.

"This is what I feared. Someone in the Royal Guard wants to gain power, though who I am not sure." Derpy said.

"You mean that some pony in the Royal Guard has bad intentions?"

"Yes." Derpy stated.

"How do we figure out which pony it is?" Celestia asked.

"I don't know. In the mean time, keep a tight watch on the Royal Guard. We don't know what they are planning."

"Yes, Mom. So what are you going to do now?"

"I am going to investigate the case. Clover just attacked a Royal Guard outpost in the Undiscovered West, I am pretty sure that is not a coincidence." Derpy said. Derpy reverted back to her normal size and put on her Royal Guard armour. Toothless shrank down to the size of a mouse and flew into Derpy's helmet and hid inside.

"I will see what I can find. See you later, Tia. Tell Lulu that I came okay?" Derpy said as she planted a kiss on Celestia's cheek.

"I will. See you later, Mother." Celestia said. Derpy smiled and walked out of the throne room. She saw the pony of nobility outside and told him, "Don't worry, I have taken care of that Dragon. Sorry for disturbing the court session."

"What is your name, Guard?" He asked, in a not so friendly tone.

"2nd lieutenant Derpy hooves, Sir."

"You clumsy mare! How could you have let the dragon out of your custody! Is it because of the fact that you only have one eye?! I will report this to your commanding officer!"

Derpy removed her eye patch, exposing her lazy eye to him. "I am just serving my country by protecting ponies like you from threats."

"I am in charge of your pay, Guard! You will pay for disrupting the court session with Celestia!"

"I am just doing my job, Sir. I am sorry for any inconvenient caused." Derpy said, while smiling to the pony.

"Save that for the Captain." He said before slapping Derpy. "Oops, there was a bug in your face." Derpy winced he slapped her cheek. It was really painful but she didn't let it show. Derpy retained her signature smile, he decided to slap her again. And again. And again.

By the time he finished slapping Derpy, Derpy's cheeks was colored dark red. "You better treat us with more respect, you wall-eyed mare! If you ever disrespect me again, let's just say you won't be receiving a couple of slaps." he said before removing her body armour and kicked her stomach. After that, he entered the throne room.

Toothless, hiding under Derpy's helmet, was angry. "Let me teach this pony a lesson!" Toothless shouted under the helmet.

"No. Let him go. Besides, I have suffered worse before." Derpy said as she pull herself up.

Toothless muffled something unintelligible, which Derpy thanked, as whatever he said was most probably something vulgar. Derpy applied a healing spell on herself and put back her armour before heading to the barracks.

In the barracks, she picked up the squad and head to the destroyed outpost in the Undiscovered West.
Undiscovered West

As they flew closer to the outpost, they caught the sight of the destruction. What was once a Royal Guard outpost was now a wasteland filled with debris. They went down to investigate. They combed the area for survivors, but they have found none. By the time they the sun has set, the squad has found nothing of importance to them, until...

"Mdm, I have found something!" A Royal Guard yelled. Derpy rushed to his position. He has found a secret door on the ground underneath the wreckage. Derpy called the squad over and went inside the secret room. They went down a flight of stairs, all of them having a tight grip on their swords. As they reached the bottom of the stairs, a Unicorn was tasked to lit up her horn. To the right side of the room, there was four Mark IV tanks and on the left side of the room were four A7V tanks. "What in Equestria are these?" A pegasus guard asked.

"Hmm, I am not so sure. But they do carry a artillery piece in it." Derpy commented. A guard used his sword to slice the armour of the Mark IV tank. It didn't even make a dent on the tank. The squad of ponies looked shocked. It could withstand the slicing power of their swords, which is something they never seen happen before.

"Woah, these things are tough!" the Unicorn guard commented. Derpy placed a hoof on the tank. The armour is made of metal, about 0.25 inches thick. The metal must have come from somewhere, but where in Equestria did they got it from? Derpy proceeded to touch the turret. These tanks are operational, so why are they hiding it? Derpy climb on top of the tank and opened the hatch. There was no pony inside the tank. Derpy entered the tank to examine the insides of the tank. The tank has two 57mm cannon and 3 machine guns. She searched the entire tank, there is no ammunition on the tank and the guns have recently been oiled. She was about to get out of the tank when she heard machine guns firing and bullets hitting the guards outside. The hatch on top of the tank was bolted shut by some pony the same time the machine gun started to shoot.

Derpy tried to lift the observation slit but it was bolted shut too. "Derpy, How nice of you to join in." An officer said through a speaker hidden in the tank.

That voice. She recognised it. He was the one who made the Officer Cadet Course a living hell for Derpy. It was very impressive that he was not caught for his actions against Derpy. It was even more impressive when he was promoted to become a second lieutenant of the Royal Guard despite barely meeting the requirements for the Course. He was the one and only, 2nd Lieutenant Eris of the Royal Guards Research division. "Eris, nice of you to drop by. So how the view from up there?" Derpy asked, assuming that he is on top of the tank.

"You attacked me by blowing up my research outpost. So I am just returning the favor. How does pony-napping your precious friends sound to you?" Eris asked maliciously.

"You wouldn't dare! You touch a hoof on them and I will do nasty things to you." Derpy threatened.

"Nasty things? Oh, I am so scared, Derpy, Ponyville's clown, Is going to do nasty things to me. What nasty things will you do to me? Kamakaze into my house? Blow some bubbles at my face? No one will sympathize with you while everyone will treat you like the stupid mare you are." Eris replied sarcastically.

"What benefit do you have to keep me in a tank? If you want to fight me, come and face me, you coward! Don't get others involved."

"You see, that's the beauty of things. Let's see how innocent you are. You just led your squad to their deaths. I am sure the high command won't treat this incident lightly. You will be humiliated and be discharged from your duties. If you ever make out alive that is." Eris said.

"What do you mean?" Derpy asked. "Hello?" Derpy asked again. Derpy sat silently in the tank and considered her options.
Derpy stayed in the tank for an hour before Toothless heard something through his radio set. Toothless whispered to Derpy, "Code Muffin."

That got Derpy's blood to boil. Derpy decided that enough was enough and used her heightened senses to sense that the other tanks in the room have their cannon pointed to the one that she is in currently.
She tried to teleport but there is a hidden device in the tank preventing her from using her magic. Derpy than tried to use her horn to pierce the tank's armour, but the armour refused to budge. Meanwhile, Toothless used his small size to crawl through the cannon turret but it was blocked with metal sheets. Toothless told Derpy that the turret is blocked and asked if he could use his oxygen charge to destroy the sheet. Derpy replied 'No' as it could drastically reduce the Oxygen supply in the tank.

They were truly trapped in the tank. There was definitely no way for Derpy to get out of the tank, or so Eris thought.

Derpy used her hooves to express what they could do to get out. Toothless smiled at the plan. Slowly, Derpy took out a smoke grenade, covering the tank in smoke. The tanks outside fired the main cannons at Derpy. The cannon fire covered the sound of the metal groaning and bending to fit a larger occupant. The tank subsequently exploded to many tiny pieces as the occupant exceeded the tank's capacity to contain them. As the smoke cleared, the shadows of two massive creatures was seen exiting the pile of smoke. Derpy used her horn to teleport all the tank crews before Toothless used his claws and destroyed the remaining tanks.

The crews gulped. They were not dealing with a clumsy mare anymore. They were dealing with an angry mother with the strength of a goddess. No. They was dealing with an angry goddess and a raging Dragon Lord.


Never judge a book by its cover as it's cover never reflect the content of the book. Only its synopsis does.

Author's Note:

1) Merry Christmas, Readers!
2) Derpy is both an Alicorn and is a Secret Unicorn.
3) Epic fight scene is coming soon! Hope you guys are prepared for more bloodshed.
4) Toothless and Derpy is pretty large but it will be important for later, so deal with it.
5) What do you guys think? Leave your constructive comments in the comment section down below.
That is all, General Sparky, Out.