• Published 10th Oct 2017
  • 2,426 Views, 193 Comments

Does it matter if I am a changeling or not? - General Sparky



A changeling guard fled the changeling hive to find a new life. What she finds will change her view on what is the meaning of love and friendship and her view on Equestria as a whole..

  • ...
13
 193
 2,426

Memories part 1

Derpy replied, "Clover has replied to my letter."

Derpy went upstairs and took the letter from Toothless and went back downstairs. To Derpy's surprise, the paper was covered in snow. After wiping the snow away, she placed it on the dining table and read it to the three ponies present.

Dear Derpy, I have read your letter and see that there is some pony important that I would like to meet. But currently I am on a mission in the icy mountains. I am not sure whether I could make it to your place today given the severity of the situation. Don't worry about the situation, I could make it to your place tomorrow afternoon. About changeling in question, I am pretty sure she is who you think she is. I suggest you try to keep her there first until I arrive. About your reveal as a guard, you can tell them anything about it except the part where I am involved. I don't like to have to clear any dark images that they will have after that.
By: Rommel is the commander of the Africa korps.

"So Clover is coming tomorrow?" Sparky asked.

"I believe so." Derpy replied.

"What do you think she is doing now?" Dinky asked.

"I don't know, but wherever it is, it has snow." Derpy stated.

"I wish that whatever Clover is doing, she will be successful." Thorax added.

"I wish so too." Derpy said in a soft voice. "Anyways, since clover is coming tomorrow, I better start preparing for it. Dinky, do you have any homework to do today?"

Dinky thought for a while before saying, "Yes. Miss Cheerlie said we have to do page 23 to 26 of our math workbook."

"Can you take it out first while I take off this armor." Derpy said as she is picking up her helmet and eye patch on the floor.

"Okay, Mum!" Dinky said, as she went to take her math workbook from her school bag.

"Derpy, why is an eye patch in your royal guard armor?" Sparky asked, wondering about Derpy's eye patch since she recalled that almost no royal guard wore an eye patch.

Derpy smiled and look at Sparky. She placed the eye patch over her right eye and look at Sparky. "This makes me look more intimidating to the troops. After all, would you respect of a officer if the officer look like a clumsy mare?"

Sparky look at her and mentally compared it to her without the eye patch. Sparky could sympathize with Derpy, always hiding behind something. But it also revealed something: royal guard usually doesn't accept ponies with disabilities so how did Derpy got accepted into the guard in the first place? This revelation caused Sparky to ask "Derpy, how did you get accepted into the royal guard in the first place?"

Derpy immediately look away from Sparky and started to walk towards the staircase. If one is paying attention, one could hear that Derpy was softly crying. "Derpy?"

"Don't ask anymore, I am not suppose to tell you." Derpy said, her walking pace increased as if she was in a rush to get out of the conversation. Sparky saw Derpy rushing to get upstairs and almost teleported right in front of Derpy if not for Thorax holding Sparky back. This bought enough time for Derpy to get to the second floor. Once Derpy was out of his sight, Thorax released his hold on Sparky. Sparky sighed, she was not getting the answer she wanted to hear, Sparky felt a bit regretful for pursuing the matter despite Derpy appearing very touchy on the subject. Just as Derpy went upstairs, Dinky approached with her Math workbook and open it up to page 23. Sparky took a peek and saw a diagram of triangle, with arrow pointing along the sides of the triangle's base and perpendicular height.

Dinky stare at the question as she tried to figure out how to solve the question. Thorax look at Sparky and asked, "What is so interesting about math?" Sparky replied, "It bring back some memories, that all."

"What kind of memories?" Thorax asked, wondering what kind of memories is Sparky recalling about. Sparky tore her gaze away from Thorax and searched her memory bank, the scene felt familiar but she cannot quite figure out when it happened. Sparky placed her hoof on her head, scratching her head. "Weird, I can't really remember what that event is, I think I was doing math and somepony was behind me but that's all."

"Where did that event took place?" Thorax asked, thinking that maybe the event Sparky is recalling is in the hive. Sparky trie her best to focus on that event, but the more she focused, the more the event seem unbelievable. It was in a room with many maps, the table she was doing her math workbook was had a lamp, directly above it, there is a huge map of somewhere she didn't recognize and behind her stood a pony, no not a pony, a creature stood behind her. The creature was saying something, but she couldn't tell what she is actually saying. Was a phrase or a code? it sounded like either one.

"Some kind of planning room? I am not too sure myself." Sparky admitted, "Why can't I remember? I experienced it, so why can't I remember?" Sparky said, as she almost bang her head on the hard wooden floor if not for Thorax's last minute save.

"Don't be upset for something you can't remember. I am sure that you will remember in due time Sparky." Thorax calmly said to Sparky. Sparky got up and look at Thorax, she smiled at him and said "Thanks." She tried to pick her herself up but out of the blue, Sparky's hooves gave up trying to hold her body and her entire body collapsed on the floor. Dinky, who was still doing her homework, heard a 'thud' and looked at the changelings position. A look of shock and fear shone on her face. Immediately, she yelled, "Mum! Come quick! Sparky has collapsed on the floor!" Meanwhile, Thorax pick Sparky out of the floor and carried her on his hooves. Sparky's body felt surprising light, way lighter than she should be. "Sparky, Sparky, don't scare me!" Thorax shouted fearing for his friend, his head dropping sweats and his hooves feeling a bit slimy.

Derpy came rushing down with a first aid kit and a stethoscope slung around her neck and move quickly to Spark'y position. "Put her down." Derpy said. Thorax did as he was told. Derpy put her ear near Sparky's nose, trying to feel any signs of breathing.

"Don't worry, she is breathing. She is probably collapsed from the lack of rest." Derpy said. Dinky heaved a sigh of relief and Thorax mentally said, 'Thank Chrysalis that she is alright.' Derpy then lifted Sparky and carried her on her fore hooves while walking upstairs to place her in bed on her back hooves. Sparky decided to follow Derpy upstairs to monitor Sparky while Dinky went back to doing her homework.

Once upstairs, Derpy place Sparky's body down on the bed that she had slept in yesterday. "Thank you Derpy." Thorax said. Derpy smiled in response and said, "You take good care of her okay?" Thorax nodded and look at Sparky. Derpy decided it was better to leave the two changelings some room so she left the room quietly.

Now alone, Thorax sat down beside Sparky. Thorax softly said, "You scare the tartarus out of me, Sparky. But luckily you are alright. I don't know what I will do without you Sparky." Not knowing why, Thorax felt better when he talked with Sparky, so he decided to continue to talk to Sparky about anything in his mind. "You know, you were always there for me even when almost no ling wants to. You have done so much for me, but you never gotten anything in return. I could never have the courage to do the things you do." Thorax stare at her wings, though it has fully recovered, Thorax could not forget that that is her weak spot.

During his childhood days, Thorax was bullied by many changelings in the hive for not training to fight ponies and playing with dolls. Many times, his brother, Pharynx, was not there to protect him and he got bullied many times, that is until Sparky came. During one of the training , Thorax was sitting out and playing with his dolls as usual while the others were training. After training, the changelings would come and bully him as usual. But when the changelings came to bully him, a filly took notice and interfered. "Why are you bullying him?" the filly asked. The changelings turned around to see a filly smaller than they are and having a different colored wings, mane, tail and pupils. "What are you doing here little filly?" The changelings mocked. Thorax only saw a glimpse of the filly as the other foals were blocking him. "I saw you bullying a fellow changeling and that is not right." the filly replied. "It is our business, not yours. So shoo away little filly." The filly stood there, not moving an inch to these bullies. "Looks like this filly wants to play with us." Another changeling mocked. "I just want you to stop bullying another fellow changeling." the filly stated. The foals picked the filly up and threw her next to Thorax.

"Let's give them what they deserve, shall we?" The leader said, her fore hooves looks ready to beat Sparky and Thorax up. Thorax saw this and accept his fate, Sparky got ready to fight the bullies off, even when she knew she can't. The bullies caved in on them, ready to give them a beating they will remember. The leader went for Thorax while his other two subordinates deal with Sparky. After all how strong can a mare be?

The two subordinates cornered Sparky, and started to taunt her. They said, "You are just a mare, know your place in this hive!" Sparky purposely replied, "You are messing with the wrong mare. You call yourself foals? You don't dare to fight me, do you?" The two bullies looked at each other, temporarily deep in thought, but quickly return to their fighting stance. Sparky smiled, These bullies do not know what they are up against. As quick as lightning, Sparky jumped on on of the bullies' back and punched his face. The punch manage to knock him out for a moment, the other bully decided to fire a bolt at Sparky, but Sparky excellently dodged it. Sparky got down from the first bully and landed right in front of the second bully. Both changelings stare at one another, each unsure to take the first move. Sparky looked back for a moment to see how is Thorax doing. Thorax was backing up to the wall, with the leader closing in. On instinct, Sparky run to Thorax's position. However, she was intercepted by the second bully. The second bully saw what she was doing and pulled her wings, hard. Sparky felt the pull on her wings and was dragged to the ground. A crack could be heard when Sparky's face slammed into the hard floor. Sparky's face hurt, a lot but she did not give up. Sparky got up and tried to run to Thorax again, only to feel that her wings are being pulled. She yelled in pain as she felt the pain on her wings. It felt like somepony trying to rip her wings like fabric. She tried to give the second bully a hard kick, but the bully did not did not move, as if the kick was like a paper ball against a brick wall.

Sparky fell unconscious and caused the bullies to run away as they do not want to bear the consequences of injuring a fellow changeling. As the bullies fled, Thorax ran towards Sparky and laid down beside her.

"Are you alright? " Thorax asked. No response. Thorax then noticed that green goo was coming out from a side of her wing. Thorax carried her and ran to the nearest medical room in the hive.

A few minutes later, he arrived at the medical room. Since it was rare for changelings to get injured in the hive, it was used to house some of the changelings that had just hatched but not be able to take care of their own yet.
Thankfully, it was now nap time for the changeling foals so the medical staff was just looking at the foals and not really doing much. One of the medical staff saw Thorax and asked, "What's the matter with her? " She pointed her hoof at Sparky.

Thorax timidly said, "She has an injured wing."
"Get the doctor! We have a ling with injured wing!" The nurse yelled and soon a doctor came. The doctor took Sparky from Thorax's hoof and brought Sparky to an screening room to check on how serious is the injury.

As the doctor checked Sparky, he found out about the torn wing and yelled, "Get this ling to the operating room now!" One of the nurse took Sparky to the operating room while the doctor prepared the operating room.
Several hours later, the doctor came out of the operating room. Thorax was asleep throughout the operation, he sat outside of the operating room before he went to sleep. The doctor saw Thorax and approached him. "Excuse me filly, but were you waiting outside for your injured friend? "

Thorax eyes' blinked and softly asked , "It is over? "

"Yes, Don't worry about your friend she is fine, mostly." The doctor replied.

"What do you mean by 'mostly'? " Thorax asked, still recovering from his slumber.

The doctor sighed. "She will live, but it will be quite difficult for her to fly again. Her wings were torn and it needs to be patched up. Her chances of flying again is slim to none. " The doctor explained.

Thorax stared at the doctor for a while before comprehending what he said. Thorax mentally thought to himself, 'Why did you save me, Sparky?'

"Because I can and I will." Sparky replied from behind. Thorax ran towards Sparky, "You're fine! But how? "

"He only said my wing was injured, not my ability to walk." Sparky said.

"You gave me such a shock, Sparky. Promise me you will never do that again."

"Sorry no promises, I can only guarantee that today, but I can not guarantee that for the future. " Sparky responded, smiling at Thorax.

"Then I will ensure that you will not go through that again." Thorax replied, as he does not want to go through the process again.

"Says a ling that doesn't know how to fight or defend yourself." Sparky retorted. Before Thorax could reply, Sparky kicked his front hooves, causing Thorax to fall down.

"I suggest you learn how to fight before committing yourself." Sparky said, walking away, leaving Thorax behind. As she walk away, Thorax saw her wings with her right side showing a thread that connect the two parts of the torn wing.

'Sorry Sparky, I failed to protect you, I will ensure that I will not let you face the same treatment ever again.' Thorax mentally said to himself.

Thorax smiled, before letting himself fall sleep beside Sparky. Unbeknownst to them, Two dragons the size of mouse entered the room and slept on top of Sparky and Thorax respectively.

Author's Note:

1: Finally Done a chapter! Yay!
2: Sorry for the keeping you guys for waiting so long for one, I am foscusing more on my studies this year so don't expect an update soon.
3: Stay tuned to see why dragons are getting involved.
That is all, General Sparky out.