• Published 30th Jun 2012
  • 16,378 Views, 1,083 Comments

Shattered - BronyNeumo



Rainbow Dash's friends must explore what supporting each other truly means in the wake of a tragedy none of them could have predicted.

  • ...
44
 1,083
 16,378

Chapter 14; Arriving in Canterlot

Chapter 14

The carriage descended rapidly behind the soaring towers of Canterlot Castle, flying low over the elaborate gardens encircling the palace. The trees had been stripped of their foliage; leaving an eerie array of spindly, barren branches stretching like so many twigs up into the sky, bending and creaking in the stiff mountain breeze. In places, though, tall, thick conifers dotted the grounds, providing a splash of deep green to the landscape and allowing the distinct, earthy aroma of pine to drift lazily up to the carriage as it floated gently in for a landing among them.

Twilight Sparkle inhaled deeply as she stepped down to a cobblestone walkway, grateful for the familiar sensation beneath her hooves and the crisp, welcoming scent in the air around her. Her friends disembarked behind her, one or two shivering in the wind. Although Canterlot Castle’s lofty perch provided a dramatic view of the steadily rising sun, the shadow of the surrounding mountains kept the new dawn’s warmth at bay.

Another contingent of Royal Guards—unicorns of uniform charcoal grey—stood tall and staid in a row before the six friends, flanking the carriage. At the behest of a command, whistled from behind them, they sidestepped, allowing their ranks to part. From the castle in the distance, a tall, regal white figure with a shimmering mane strode towards them, and soon Princess Celestia stepped between the a pair of unicorn guards ponies, smiling warmly down upon the mares. Twilight dipped her head slightly in respect, as did her friends, then returned the expression. “Princess, thank you for meeting us.”

“Think nothing of it.” She winked, “I trust you girls had an uneventful journey? No run-ins with the press or other mishaps?” Twilight quickly nodded, and Celestia grinned in satisfaction. “Wonderful. That should make this transition as seamless as possible. Welcome back to Canterlot, everypony. I only wish I could be greeting you under better circumstances.”

Applejack dipped her head. “The feelin’ is mutual, Princess.”

Celestia nodded sagely. “Even in these trying times, I encourage you all to make the castle your home. You will find six rooms prepared for you on one of the upper floors. My friend Belle Hoppe here,” She turned, addressing one of the couriers standing by her side, at the ready, “Shall escort you. Please show our guests to their rooms, Belle.”

The courier bowed graciously. “Yes, Princess.” She then gestured for the group to follow her. Twilight stepped forward, making to walk with her friends, when she found a gold-clad hoof barring her way. She looked up to see Princess Celestia watching her; her face appearing suddenly far more serious.

“If you don’t mind, I would like a word in private, Twilight Sparkle.”

Twilight peered ahead, seeing Rarity throw a questioning look back over her shoulder at her. She waved to her and Rarity shrugged, turning back around. Soon, her friends disappeared into the castle. Twilight turned back to her longtime mentor, her own expression now decidedly grave as well. “Of course, Princess. Please lead the way.”

==================================================================

Their hoofsteps echoed off the towering walls and vaulted ceiling as Princess Celestia and Twilight Sparkle strode down the cavernous hall. Their shadows danced, shifting with each step they took as the two passed in front of each giant stained glass window; every one lit dazzlingly with a myriad of crystalline colors by the rising sun.

Celestia paused, taking a moment in silent contemplation to study one of the glass artworks, before turning back to her student. “I must say, Twilight Sparkle, I have been quite impressed with the progress reports you’ve sent me. That you’ve managed to pull together a cohesive prosecution in what little time afforded to you is nothing short of marvelous.”

“Thank you Princess, but you really shouldn’t… I mean, I don’t even know if it’s the best it could…”

Princess Celestia chuckled. “Come now, Twilight. You know I don’t give compliments lightly.”

“I know. I’m just so worried about the trial. I can’t control everything, and for all my planning, something could still go wrong, and it would be my fault if we lost the case!”

The Princess nodded. “From what I’ve gathered in your letters, you’ve put together as sound an argument as I can imagine, given the level of evidence available and the time constraints you faced. I have the utmost confidence in your abilities.”

“I know, it’s just—”

Celestia silenced her student with a hoof placed against her shoulder. “I have faith in you, Twilight Sparkle. You will do fine.”

Twilight sighed. “It would be so much easier if I knew what I was up against.”

“That should change soon enough. If I recall correctly, the pre-trial hearing is later this afternoon.”

“Right. I’ll need to get prepared for that soon, won’t I?”

“I wouldn’t worry about it. Justice Honor Bound is one of the very best at what he does, not to mention a true professional.” The Princess gave a wry smile. “You should have no trouble getting any of your evidence or your witnesses accepted.”

“I’m more concerned about the other lawyer. I don’t know what sort of evidence he’s going to bring forward. What I wouldn’t give for just a moment to pick his mind right now.”

Celestia’s smile disappeared. “Well, unfortunately, I must admit that I have not heard much of this stallion before, other than he’s a highly-regarded, and very expensive, defense attorney catering to Equestria’s Elite. I usually make a point to involve myself as little as possible with ponies of that ilk.”

Twilight nodded. “I don’t blame you.” She stopped, suddenly finding cause to shake her head. “That figures, I guess.” She muttered, “It doesn’t surprise me that the rich, famous Wonderbolt gets some high-flying, expensive attorney. I’m really out of my depth here.”

“I wouldn’t say that, Twilight. Whatever you might lack in experience, you make up for in sheer knowledge. Believe me when I say that his mind must pale in comparison to yours.” She stopped for a moment, appearing to consider something briefly. “Though I have often thought that I’ve let fame and fortune go too much to those Wonderbolts’ heads. I used to worry it would affect their service to Equestria.”

Twilight paused, “That does remind me of something else that’s been bothering me for a while now, though.”

The regal alicorn resumed her stride down the hall, so that her student had to catch up with her. “I assume you refer to the question you posed in your last letter, the one I have yet to address?”

“Yes,” She hesitated, biting her lip. “I was wondering, if you might—”

“Give you an answer?” Twilight nodded, subdued, rousing a chuckle from the Princess. “I must apologize, Twilight Sparkle, for not being so forthcoming in my reply to your letter. Truth be told, I’ve been unfortunately very busy as of late, and found little time to write you a proper response. That said, I do feel that this particular topic is one that warrants more a face-to-face conversation, which I’m afraid I just haven’t had the time for until now.”

“So what is the answer then? After all, if the Wonderbolts are an elite branch of the Equestrian Air Royal Guard, which they are, and since Soarin’ is a member of the Wonderbolts, why is this trial not being conducted by military tribunal?”

Celestia stopped beside another window, putting a hoof to her chin in thought. “There is a long answer and a short answer. The short answer is that the scope of military law is limited, and its purview does not extend to all crimes committed by members of the Royal Guard, or the Wonderbolts.”

“But wouldn’t this be one of those times? This is a very serious situation, and—”

“Oh, it’s completely serious. That’s why the case is being heard in a criminal court, rather than a tribunal. The tribunal system exists for crimes committed within the military. Any attack on a civilian by a service member, however rare, is considered a crime against the state.”

“But Rainbow Dash is a Wonderbolt too, isn’t she? She was accepted by the team that very day, and if this was an attack by one Wonderbolt on another, wouldn’t that be a crime within the military, requiring a tribunal?”

Princess Celestia frowned. “Yes and no. In theory, yes, Rainbow Dash is a Wonderbolt. But in practice, she remains a civilian until she enlists in the Air Royal Guard. Then, after that and some added documentation—a process which takes a few days—she would be officially recognized as a full Wonderbolt. Until then, the law treats her as a civilian.”

Twilight shook her head. “I tried to find a copy of the Equestrian Code of Military Law, but the library doesn’t have one.” She stomped angrily. “See, there’s still so many things I don’t know! I’m not cut out for this!”

Celestia kneeled down, coming to eye-level with her pupil. “I sense there’s something more bothering you about this.”

Twilight frowned and looked away. “It’s… nothing.”

The Princess sat the rest of the way down, settling her haunches against the floor. “Come now, Twilight Sparkle. You know you can tell me anything. I won’t think any less of you.”

Twilight sighed. “It’s just… I was hoping to find a way to keep this from being a public trial. I just don’t know if Rainbow Dash is ready for that kind of exposure yet.”

Celestia nodded her understanding. “And you thought moving the case to a military tribunal would shield her from the public eye.”

“Exactly. I just, I feel like I need to keep her safe. And with a public trial, what if Rainbow isn’t ready for it? All those ponies watching her every move, hanging on her every word, learning very detail of her story—her private life? I don’t know if she can handle it. Maybe she won’t be able to testify, and then everything just falls apart. It’s all so out of my control and I don’t know what to do!”

“Twilight, you’ve done everything you can to prepare for this. What happens next will happen, come what may, and we need to trust that justice will be done.”

“What if—what if I’m not ready?”

“If I ever thought, even for a second, that you wouldn’t be able to handle this challenge, then I never would have agreed to let you take it on.” Princess Celestia stood up again, prompting Twilight to follow suit. The alicorn grinned. “You’re capable of more than you know, Twilight Sparkle. Your accomplishments speak for themselves.” She gestured behind her, and Twilight craned to look around the princess.

Lit dazzlingly from behind, countless thousands of shards of multi-colored glass shone against the cold stone grey backdrop of the castle wall, depicting six ponies, rising into the air. At the center, an ornate crown adorned on her head, Twilight Sparkle herself, made up of dozens of pieces of purple glass of every shape and shade, seemed to emanate an ethereal sort of essence. Two glass circles of the purest white sat in place of eyes, catching the light and magnifying it, as if the window itself were looking out upon the world. Twilight shivered as she gazed upon the stained-glass replicas of herself and her friends, the image bringing flashes of memories into her head. She returned her attention to Princess Celestia, who smiled warmly down on her. “You don’t think—”

“I don’t think, Twilight. I know. I know what you are capable of. There is a reason why I chose you to be my personal student all those years ago, and there is a reason I’ve trusted you with so many endeavors.”

“But I had my friends by my side all those times, now I have to do this alone.”

“Your friends are right upstairs, and unless I’m mistaken, they’re each going to be testifying. You’ll have them right there in the courtroom. You aren’t doing this alone.”

Twilight Sparkle sat down, shaking her head from side to side. “But my friends, especially Rainbow Dash, and you, everypony is counting on me! What if I slip up?”

“I highly doubt that will happen. I know this may seem daunting, but your friends believe and trust in you; I believe and trust in you, and we don’t do so blindly. You’ve done more for Equestria in a few short years than most ponies do in their lifetimes.”

Twilight inhaled sharply, her breath becoming a morose laugh. “You must think I’m crazy, to worry like this, to be… to be so afraid.” She choked, shaking her head even more now. “I don’t understand why I feel this way! I—I know I should be able to handle it, but I can’t!”

“Fear is a natural part of dealing with apprehension towards the unknown. Your uncertainty causes stress and anxiety, and that is perfectly understandable. The best thing to do is to turn that stress, that tension you feel, into motivation. Let your uncertainties drive you to work even harder, so that you may go into that courtroom feeling no fear. Think of Rainbow Dash, and how she must feel about all of this, yet she has agreed to go through with it. That’s not something to be taken lightly.”

“I know.” She said softly, “I’ve been trying to help her with her testimony these last two weeks. She must be terrified. She won’t admit it, but I know she is. I would be, if I had to admit something like that happened to me in front of a room full of strangers.”

“Plenty of victims don’t. It’s certainly a daunting, even horrifying prospect, but Rainbow Dash believes in you, Twilight. Your guidance is going to make all the difference in the world in this matter. Rape is unfortunately a more under-reported crime than I care to admit, and for justice to be done, exposure is a risk Rainbow Dash must be willing to take. You are going to be the one helping her through this process. Everything you do, you do for her. Don’t think about me. Don’t think about anyone else’s expectations for you. Those are not important. Rainbow Dash is important. Think about her. Do you understand?”

Quietly, Twilight nodded. “I understand.”

Celestia smiled. “Then there is no doubt in my mind that you are going to do marvelously.” She gestured for twilight to stand, and the unicorn came forward, throwing her fore legs around the princess’s neck in a tight embrace. Celestia leaned down, resting her chin against her student’s cheek for a few peaceful moments. “I wasn’t lying, you know, when I told you how it is hard for me to not see you as the filly I took under my wing so long ago. Every day I marvel at the mare you’ve become, at how much you’ve grown and learned. I can’t imagine being more proud of you, Twilight Sparkle.”

Twilight sniffed slightly, blinking back moisture in weary eyes. “Thanks, Princess.”

“Now, let’s go find those friends of yours. After all, you still have a hearing to prepare for.”

===================================================================

Canterlot Courthouse, the gallery, press box, and jurors’ box all empty, seemed a vast and imposing place to Twilight Sparkle. She gazed around her furtively, feeling knots tighten in her stomach and her mouth run dry; the weight of the very air seemed to all press down upon her at once, and she marveled that she didn’t simply collapse onto the cold stone floor.

“Your Honor, with all due respect, I find this situation to be highly unusual, and more than suspect.” A suit with a pony inside stood facing the judge’s bench.

Justice Honor Bound was a patient stallion, but even he was finding it difficult to remain focused, and not allow his head to slip down. He stifled a yawn as he watched the sharply dressed stallion pace before him. “And just what do you find so unusual, Mr. Scroll?”

An ashen grey unicorn gestured a fore hoof toward the pony next to him, coal dust eyes darting about beneath a sleek frock of jet-black mane. He wore a crisp pinstripe suit of the deepest blue, slick, like ink running from a quill. Twilight Sparkle tried to put up an indifferent façade, hoping her features wouldn’t betray the feeling of shrinking in upon herself under his searching gaze. He cast a shrewd look back up to the judge, seated above them both. “I simply find it odd that Miss Sparkle, the legal council for the prosecution, and representing, I might add, the mare who has wrongfully accused my client of a heinous act which he did not commit—”

“We’ll leave your client’s guilt up to the jury for now, Mr. Scroll.” Honor Bound peered down at him, an almost bored expression on his face.

“Regardless, the question still begs to be answered why the prosecuting attorney is one of this Rainbow Dash’s closest friends, has seemingly no prior legal experience whatsoever, and just happens to be Princess Celestia’s personal protégé. It seems highly suspect to me.”

Honor Bound sat up a little straighter in his high-backed chair. “Your question answers itself, Mr. Scroll. I, for one, should think that any personal protégé of the princess worth her mettle would have had significant education in the field of law, among her other studies.” He glanced briefly at Twilight, who nodded quickly, still finding herself unable to speak up. “So there you go. I also find it difficult to understand your concern. After all, given your colorful history, if you did think you were to square off with a counsel who, as you put it, had no prior legal experience whatsoever, I’d imagine you’d be more than pleased at the prospects of an easy defense.”

“If only this were so simple. The defense rests that Miss Dash and Miss Sparkle here are working in collusion to fabricate a series of false accusations designed chiefly to undermine and attack my client. Further, such a ploy would never have reached this bench were it not for the tacit approval of the princess, with whom they just happen to share a close, personal connection.”

Twilight coughed, finally finding her voice. “Mr… Ink Scroll, is it?” He nodded, and she stood a little straighter. “Right. Well, I must say it betrays your case as fairly weak if your grasping at straws has led you to conclude some sort of conspiracy involving the princess.”

Ink Scroll lifted a hoof before his chest, feigning shock. “You misrepresent me, Madam!”

Twilight rolled her eyes. “I’m not finished. If you must know, it was my assessment that my client was not emotionally stable enough at the time of her attack to receive counsel from anypony save a close, trusted friend. I stand by my decision to represent her out of interest in nothing more than her mental health, and I resent your assertions to the contrary.”

The stallion waved a dismissive hoof. “At the time of the alleged attack, you mean.” Twilight scowled at him, and he returned with a wry grin. “And what of your other friends? You’ve named each of them as your key witnesses.”

“What about them?”

Ink Scroll turned back to the bench. “Your Honor, the defense would like to request that the four key witnesses submitted by the prosecution, Misses Rarity, Fluttershy, Applejack, and Pinkamina Pie, should not be allowed to testify. We contend that these four mares personal relationship to the plaintiff will produce clouded judgment in these matters, as well as biased, superfluous and even false testimonies.”

“What? But that’s ridiculous!” Twilight stammered. “My fri—these witnesses were the first ponies to see Rainbow Dash after she was brutally assaulted by your client.”

Ink Scroll’s eyes shone. “I might recommend watching those allegations, Miss Sparkle. Tell me, is it easy to concoct a story among a close-knit group of six?”

“Their testimonies must be allowed to stand, as they were some of the only ones to experience my client’s fragile physical and emotional state after the assault.” Twilight threw an severe glance his way, “Furthermore, the prosecution would like to submit that Mr. Soarin’s colleagues in the Wonderbolts, previously named by the defense as their principal witnesses, would be just as prone to biased or false testimony, and thus should not be considered valid witnesses in kind.”

“The prosecution is attempting to create a false parallel between two distinctly differing groups. The Wonderbolts were present at the scene of the alleged crime, whereas—”

“Enough.” Justice Honor Bond’s voice echoed through the still, vacant chamber. “The bench sees fit that all witnesses submitted by both the prosecution and the defense shall be permitted testimony. Does any evidence remain for either side to submit?”

Twilight watched the lawyer opposite her carefully, almost certain he was waiting to pull out some trump card at the last minute. When he didn’t speak up, nothing but a confident smirk gracing his muzzle, she cleared her throat. “The prosecution rests, Your Honor, with nothing more to submit that the Doctor’s findings and toxicology report, among other documents, already submitted.” Honor Bound nodded to her.

“The defense requests two additional days to review these documents.”

“Denied. These documents have been on file with the court since they were submitted with the arrest warrant three weeks ago. The defense has had ample time to pursue them.” The judge sat still, for a moment, pensive, waiting. “Any further requests?” Twilight shook her head; her opposite simply remained silent. After another endless moment, Honor Bound nodded. “Right. In that case, the bench rests. The trial will commence in two days’ time. I will see you both there.”

His black robes flapped behind him as he vacated the bench, passing through a door behind him and leaving the other two in abject silence. Twilight faltered beneath its weight, staring straight forward until Ink Scroll turned to her. His smirk had returned. She scowled at him, eliciting a chuckle. “Try not to take it too personally, Miss Sparkle. It’s all part of the job—comes with the territory.”

“Clearly.”

“Care to go out for drinks sometime? After this is over? My treat.” A blank stare, then she turned heel and strode away. He laughed. “Come on, I’m not a bad guy. I’m only in this gig for the money.”

She turned and fixed him with an icy glare. “Not in this life.”

====================================================================

She felt the weight of the world upon her shoulders by the time she returned to the castle. Blearily, she trudged down the corridor, coming upon when their six rooms had been made up. Rounding a corner, she passed by the Royal Guard who had been posted outside Rainbow Dash’s door. He nodded to her, smiling; she returned the gesture. “How is she?” She asked.

“Nothing to report, Miss Sparkle.”

Twilight grimaced; the words felt bitter to her now. “Please, just call me Twilight.”

The stallion nodded, and Twilight turned, ready to enter her own room when a new voice caught her attention. “Twilight, come quickly! You simply must see this!”

Wearily, she turned to see Rarity down the corridor, beckoning to her. “Not now, Rarity. I’m pretty tired, and I think I’ll just—”

“Come now, Twilight. You simply must see this! I insist.”

Nodding absently, she strode over to her friend’s room; Rarity held the door open for her. “It’s a gift I’ve been working on for you, I’ve only just finished it.” Twilight stepped over the threshold and stopped, her eyes wide.

One of Rarity’s numerous dress forms sat in the center of the room, adorned with a creation that made Twilight blink in surprise. An elegant jacket of warm, grey fabric fell from the shoulders, ending in a pair of long coattails draped over the rear of the form. At the chest, the jacket gave way to a generous neckline, revealing a rich, deep maroon blouse that rose to a trim collar, a muted purple tie affixed at its apex.

“You do like it, don’t you? I know I work mostly with dresses, but other formal wear is not out of my means.”

“Wow, Rarity. This is amazing.” Twilight stepped forward into the room, peering at eh suit. “This is for me?”

“Why of course, Darling. I couldn’t possibly let you enter that courtroom looking anything less than your professional best, and as they say, clothes make the mare.”

“You shouldn’t have.”

“Oh, think nothing of it. It’s the least I could do; to thank you for all the hard work and energy you’ve given this effort. Truly, Twilight Sparkle, your selfless sacrifice is noble, and deserves noble garments to match.”

“I don’t know what to say. Can I try it on?”

“Absolutely, Darling. I could probably stand to get the final measurements just right anyway. I assure you, with this, when you step into that courtroom, you shall command the rapt attention of everypony present. Mark my words.” The sound of hooves falling in the distance reached them just as Rarity levitated the suit of the dress form. Both mares look up in surprise to see Fluttershy dart into the room, the Royal Guard from Rainbow Dash’s room close on her heels.

“Twilight! Rarity! Oh dear, come quick—I mean, uh, you should… you should—” She shook her head vigorously from side to side, her eyes wide, her mane already a mess.

Twilight rushed over to her pegasus friend in alarm. “What is it, Fluttershy? What’s wrong?”

“I—I was just going to go see Rainbow Dash and wish her good night when I… I, oh my…” She looked like she was shivering.

Twilight Sparkle felt her heartbeat spike as her concern mounted. “Please, Fluttershy; is something the matter with Rainbow Dash?”

Rarity gently laid down the suit, and strode carefully up to her friend, maintaining the presence of mind to remain calm. She laid a hoof on the mare’s shoulder, and Fluttershy’s shaking abated. “Darling, what is it?”

Fluttershy gulped, taking a series of deep breaths. “It’s Rainbow Dash! She’s gone.”

Author's Note:

With apologies to those actually studying law.