• Published 30th Jun 2012
  • 16,366 Views, 1,083 Comments

Shattered - BronyNeumo



Rainbow Dash's friends must explore what supporting each other truly means in the wake of a tragedy none of them could have predicted.

  • ...
44
 1,083
 16,366

Chapter 18; What We Fight For

Chapter 18

So it was that, for the second time in as many days, Twilight Sparkle found herself pushing her way into the Crowne Tavern. To her credit, however, this time she came not with a myriad of swirling, jumbled thoughts requiring the numbing agency of a good dose of liquor to quell them, but with a singular determined focus, her mind clear and set wholeheartedly on one lone objective. She was looking for something she had but an inkling—little more than a hunch—that she would find in the tavern. Still, it was a good hunch, and Twilight’s hunches had proved a very valuable ally over the years. Sure enough, a quick scan of the ponies seated at the bar revealed the familiar ashen grey of a stallion’s well-groomed mane. She made hastily towards him, choosing to wait until she was only just behind him to make her presence known. “You could have told me something, at least let me know about this before it came out in the trial.”

Bright Star glanced at her with tired eyes, setting down his whiskey. “I honestly never even imagined it would come up, it was so long ago.”

Wordlessly, Twilight settled herself up at the bar beside him. The bartender came over, but she waved him away. A long, silent, moment, in which the detective downed the remainder of his glass, passed between them; only the muted sounds of the other patrons filling the void. Just when the lull began to seem palpable, Twilight sighed. “Who was she?”

“Daisy?” He cast a glance over at her.

“If you don’t mind my asking.”

The weary stallion blinked, sighed, and finally shook his head. “Not sure there’s much I really mind at all these days. Yeah, she… Daisy was my older sister.”

“I’m so sorry.”

“Everyone is. It must sound callous of me, but after twenty years, you just get used to it.”

“You don’t ever find yourself thinking about her?”

He shrugged. “It comes and it goes. Not nearly as much as I used to, though. That’s just the way it goes. When I was younger I was always afraid to forget, afraid it’d mean I’d lose her. Eventually you realize that it just happens, and you’ve forgotten more and more over time, until the whole thing seems like some strange, twisted old dream.” Twilight found herself without a thing to say in response, so she sat still, staring into the mirror opposite the bar as if reflection Twilight would jump out and offer some helpful suggestion. This time it was Bright Star’s turn to break the silence. “What brings you around to this place, then?”

“I thought I’d find you here.”

“Really. Wouldn’t have pegged you to be out looking for me. Not one concerned with the affairs of older stallions, are you?”

Twilight sighed, letting her chin hit the surface of the bar. “I thought talking to you would help make sense of things. Guess I was wrong.”

“Shame. Sorry I couldn’t be of much service.”

She blinked. “No, I didn’t mean it like that, I…”

“Save your breath. I know what you meant. You feel as if you’re in over your head with this whole trial, and you need somepony to reach out and talk to.”

“That’s just it. I thought I had it down. Today it seemed like everything was falling right into place, and then I lost it all at the last minute. I just don’t understand.”

“That Ink Scroll is running a tight ship. He played us both for fools, I can tell you that much. I never even saw it coming until he started pressing those questions, and once I realized where he was headed, all I could try to do was damage control.”

“I guess it doesn’t matter now that I got his evidence thrown out.”

The elder stallion looked wistful for a second, and then shook his head. “You don’t quite get it, do you? He doesn’t need some old newspaper. What happened in there today, it was all part of a plan. A carefully thought-out, expertly laid plan. He had all the cards in his hoof the whole time and he knew it. In the eyes of everyone in that courtroom, especially the jury, my credibility is shot. Kaput. Gone just like that.”

“But I had the newspaper thrown out! He can’t use it as evidence anymore!” Twilight half-shouted, still conscious of the hubbub of activity around them.

“It doesn’t matter. That was throwaway evidence, just like he planned it. He was very careful alluding to it after that. ‘Due to events I assume to be public knowledge’, very careful indeed.”

“So that’s just it then. He can just throw out your whole testimony, just like that?”

“Like I said, he played us both for fools. He sewed all the seeds of doubt about my credibility even before producing his little piece of evidence. Now the jury thinks that my judgment is compromised by my past, and that’s all that matters. He doesn’t need evidence. What happened back then happened, whether we like it or not. My sister was raped, the bastard got off, and she killed herself. One two three, I’m not a credible investigator.”

“How is it, when I think I’ve got it all under control, that things can just fall apart so quickly?”

“I’ve been asking myself that same question for twenty years, and I wish I had a good answer.” The stallion turned to her and shrugged. “When he got away, it just broke her. It broke her and there wasn’t anything I or anyone else could do about it.”

“You get the feeling that no matter how much you try to help, the damage inside is too great, and nothing you ever do is going to make any difference.”

“The very same.” He nodded. “That’s why I went to the police academy. That’s ultimately why I became a detective. There’s so much injustice in this world, all you can do is try to help. I suppose you haven’t seen much of that, living in Ponyville. I envy you for it. I really do.”

Twilight sighed. “You’re right. Celestia’s right, too. Hay, everypony’s right. I am just in over my head.”

Bright Star sat up just a little bit straighter. “You know, I don’t think that’s true at all. This Ink Scroll character may be one cold, calculating stallion, but you’ve been holding your own. You’ve got a talent, and passion if nothing else. I don’t think this fight is over yet.”

“Won’t count for much without more evidence. I’m running out of witnesses and time.”

He pursed his lips and frowned. “I’ll admit I messed things up for you. I take the blame for today. I should have seen the attack on my credibility coming and I should’ve warned you at the very least. That’s on me. But I’ll tell you what. You’ve got something right now that Ink Scroll will never have.”

“Really, and just what is that?”

“You’ve got something worth fighting for. The defense attorney is bought and paid for, and nothing more. I know his type. At the end of the day, he doesn’t really care about his client, probably doesn’t even think Soarin’ is innocent. You can play that to your advantage.”

“I can try.”

“No.” He shook his head, a hoof hitting the counter with force that startled Twilight. “You’ll do more than just try. You’re going to win. And not just because you have to fight for your friend. You’re going to win because you’ve got everything that is right and good on your side. I’ve already lost my fight. Nothing I ever do will ever bring Daisy back, but I look at you and I know you’ve still got a fight to win, and I can see you’re going to do it.”

Twilight shook her head. “I wish I could live up to that, but your confidence in me is misplaced.”

“Listen to me. If Soarin’ walks, nothing good comes of it. I know what happens when a pony gets off the hook, I’ve seen it more times than I care to remember. I’ve lived it. When ponies see him let go, when they get to thinking he’s invincible, they don’t feel safe anymore. And it isn’t just a problem for mares. A lot of mares will jump up and say need to band together to protect themselves from stallions like him. They’ll say that the system has failed them. It creates this idea that they can’t trust any stallion anymore; us versus them. It’s all wrong. There’s more than one victim if he walks. Daisy was a victim. Rainbow Dash is a victim, every mare who no longer feels safe on the streets at night is a victim, and every honest stallion who suddenly finds he isn’t trusted anymore is a victim.”

He stopped suddenly, drew in a deep, raggedly breath and coughed. Twilight stared at him as he shook, stunned into silence. He finally seemed to bring his voice under control and spoke once more, much quieter than before. “You need to put him away. If not for your friend, do it for Equestria. There’s a lot of injustice in this world, but when I see ponies like you, with the drive and the determination to fight for who and what they love, I’m hopeful for the future. I have to be. It’s all I have left.”

The detective slumped to the bar and began to quietly weep. At some point previous, another full tumbler of whiskey had been left at his hooves, and he scooped this up now and downed it in a single gulp. Twilight sensed that it was time for her to leave. She put her snout close to his ear, thought about kissing it for a moment before deciding not to, and whispered, “Thank you.” Then she slipped from the bar and headed for the door.

“You’re not going to stay for a drink?” He called after her, his composure still remarkably steady.

She shook her head. “No. I only drink when I need to clear my head.”

“Call it what you like, but make no mistake. We all drink for the same reason; we drink to forget.”

================================================================

Another day, and another nerve-wracking walk from the carriage to the courthouse. Twilight Sparkle found herself increasingly grateful for the guards who escorted them, as they held back a horde of press that seemed to have grown in size and earnestness since only the day previous. She exhaled shortly after once again reaching the sanctity of indoors; releasing a deep breath she hadn’t known she was even holding. The hallways echoed with the sounds of their hoofsteps as the five friends moved through the cavernous space in stoic silence—an all-encompassing quiet that only served to remind Twilight of one particularly conspicuous absence. Just where, she wondered, could Pinkie Pie have gone, and why wasn’t she back yet?

The start of each new day of testimony had become a routine for the unicorn, and Twilight found herself essentially going through the motions of those early stages as the crowd filtered in and the day’s proceedings began. Try as she might, she couldn’t shake the little nagging doubts in the back of her mind that warned of something amiss. Her head hurt. She knew she wasn’t in a strong position; a notion only compounded as she reflected on the disastrous turn her careful planning had taken the day before. Uncertainty gripped her, feeding off her worries as she wondered just what had gone wrong, and what might still go wrong.

A slight cough from the judge alerted her to the silence that had enveloped the courtroom. She looked up from the papers she had been fiddling with to see a set of eyes fixated on her from above. She could feel countless more burning into her from behind. With a deep, slow breath she managed to keep herself from blushing and bring her heart under control. Now wasn’t the time to lose her cool. Still, she had to fight to keep herself from stammering as she hastily moved to introduce and prepare her first witness of the day, annoyed that she had let herself lose focus on her surroundings.

“Doctor Stable,” She addressed the stallion in the witness’s box once he was ready, “Could you please explain for the court your place in these troubling events?”

“Certainly, Miss Sparkle.” Doctor Stable cleared his throat before sweeping his gaze across the amassed ponies. “I am the head physician at Ponyville General Hospital, where Miss Dash was admitted and cared for in the days following the event in question.”

“And did you preside over her care during this time?”

“Yes. I, along with several other members of my staff, made sure Rainbow Dash was kept in favorable medical condition and performed a diagnosis immediately upon receiving her into our care. We were also tasked with making sure she felt safe, comfortable, and secure during her stay.”

“What did some of this care entail?”

“Aside from providing the patient with a stable environment, including intravenous nutrients for a short time early on, most of our work was diagnostic. We treated her minimal injuries and ran a toxicology report on her blood. We also managed to collect several semen samples.” The doctor paused briefly to look out over the crowd again, as a hushed assembly of murmurs swelled up from the audience. “Laboratory analysis confirmed that these samples matched the defendant, Mr. Soarin’ Skies.”

The low noise fell precipitously away as the rush of countless whispers petered into nothing. Twilight Sparkle let her witness’s words hang in the air for a brief instant. In truth, she hadn’t expected the doctor to drop his biggest piece of information so early, but she could already see her position had its advantages. The now hushed crowd of Canterlot elite had brought the atmosphere to a near standstill. The proverbial ball was in her court. “Doctor Stable, in your professional opinion, do you believe Rainbow Dash was raped?”

A curt nod. The doctor spoke slowly and carefully, as if each word were carefully measured before being brought forth for submission and inspection. “Yes. That is what my experience and analysis of the evidence presented me tells me.”

================================================================

Doctor Stable’s brow furled over a document, filled with some figures or patient records or other, and he stopped suddenly. Blinking a few times to the tick of the metronome, he slowly realized his eyes had scanned the last half page without really reading anything, and he would have to return to the top or risk not gleaning any information from the report. With a sigh, he leaned back, closing his weary eyes and trying to gather his faculties about him, to no avail. Whatever administrative task had been before him melted from his mind as he gazed toward the ceiling. His thoughts turned back towards where they had really been focused for a while now, if he was honest with himself—toward his latest patient. It had been mere hours since Rainbow Dash had found herself in his hospital, and already her worrisome condition had leapt to the forefront of his mind’s eye and firmly lodged itself there.

Just as he began pondering heading out to check in with his staff however, as if on cue, his door swung open. He looked up to see a very disheveled-looking Nurse Redheart step into his office with a deep yawn to accompany her. He wondered briefly if she could read his thoughts before flashing her a sympathetic half smile. “Sorry your night shift had to turn into a day shift, Redheart. I have some coffee here if you’d like some.”

“No.” She shook her head, still looking like she needed such a pick-me-up in double-time, “No, thank you. I think I’m good.”

“How is she doing?”

Nurse Redheart nodded. “I was just about to say. I had a feeling you would want to know right away. She’s doing better. She woke up, at least. Though I can’t say she’s fully with it, yet.”

“I imagine she seems despondent, with a delayed reaction time to stimuli. She must not be speaking yet, or at the very least, not coherently.” The nurse nodded. Doctor Stable gave a rueful shake of his head in response. “That is to be expected.”

“She also appears severely hung-over as well.”

The stallion stopped, looking pensive for a moment. “Well, that would complicate things. I hope her head isn’t spinning too badly. See if you can’t get her a little more comfortable, then please, go home and get some rest, Redheart. You look dead on your hooves.”

“I will right away, Doctor, but first, I wanted… uh…”

“Are you sure you don’t want any coffee?”

“No, Doctor. I actually wanted to ask you about what you thought of this. Do you think this really could have been rape? I know we’ve been taking Twilight Sparkle’s word for it, but do you think it could be really true?”

The elder’s grin faded. “Did you find anything when you administered the rape kit?”

“Yes, there were traces of an unknown stallion present.”

“Were there any telling injuries? I recall seeing a large bloodstain on her rear leg when she was brought in.”

“I cleaned that area up, and it wasn’t nearly as bad as it initially seemed. From what I could see, the bleeding was caused by tearing of the hymen wall, and nothing major to speak of.”

“Well, thank Celestia for that. It could easily have been a lot worse. But, we also have to take into account her psychological state.”

“We already know she doesn’t appear to be thinking coherently yet, and she’s also suffered bouts of shivering even beneath her blankets.”

“What does your intuition tell you, Redheart?”

“Something I want to believe is almost entirely unimaginable.”

Doctor Stable shook his head. “That’s the sort of world we live in. We’re lucky stuff like this is so uncommon in Ponyville, but I agree with you. It is almost unthinkable, but I believe this was indeed rape. It fits a pattern I’ve seen more times than I want to remember. In fact, we should count Rainbow Dash as fortunate that her injuries weren’t more pronounced. In Manehattan, I’ve seen cases like this where the mare was beaten almost beyond recognition. In a way, we’re luckier than we think. Thank Celestia for that.”

“If it’s true, that’s hardly any consolation.”

“I agree, but after what I’ve seen, I like to take any little victory I can get. In the meantime, we’ll do what we can, make her as comfortable as we can, and hope for the best.”

“I understand, Doctor. Thank you. I’ll attend to her immediately.” The mare turned briskly and headed for the hallway.

“Get some sleep first!” The stallion called after her as the door swung shut, once again leaving him alone in his office, knowing full well that his employee and friend wouldn’t see her bed that day.

================================================================

“I’m interested to know, Doctor, about the results of the toxicology blood test you mentioned briefly. What did you glean from this exercise?”

“I believe you’ll find all of my notes on the subject in the final hospital report, which was submitted as evidence, as I recall.” Doctor Stable spoke coolly as Ink Scroll strode past the witness stand.

“Yes, well. I’d prefer to hear about this from the horse’s mouth, so to speak.”

The doctor settled into his position, locking gazes with the lawyer. “We combed those results looking for any trace of a drug or chemical anomaly. Aside from the alcohol that remained in her system, there were none.”

“I see. And would you consider these results typical?”

“Typical in what way?”

“Oh, well in your interview with Miss Sparkle, you merely stated that you thought what you had witnessed fit some sort of a “pattern” for rape and other crimes of that nature that you’d seen before. I’m curious as to whether the lack of coercive or inhibitive drugs also fits that pattern.”

“I’m sure you’re aware, Mr. Scroll, of alcohol’s long and storied history as a coercive and inhibitive drug.”

“The fact that both my client and Miss Dash were beyond the intoxication threshold for consent has been well documented in testimony and evidence earlier in this trial, as well as the fact that Miss Dash partook in the consumption of alcohol of her own free will. I am interested to know about the presence of more nefarious chemical substances, and whether the lack thereof is typical of sexual assault cases you have seen.”

“They’re not as common as you’d like to think. And a lack of them certainly does not rule out coercion.”

“But their presence would almost confirm a case of rape, no? I am given to understand that such coercive substances are colloquially known as ‘date-rape drugs’ for a reason. Surely, their absence is important.”

“Statistically insignificant. Like I said, these substances were found in a minority of the sexual assault cases I’ve seen in my career.”

“I see. And what of your career, Doctor Stable? Where did you have the poor fortune to come across so many of these terrible sorts of cases?”

“I was a resident physician at Manehattan General Hospital for five years. If I cared to remember, I’d say we saw around one sexual assault or rape victim per week, on average.”

“So, you’d say you have significant experience dealing with such cases.”

“Yes. The experience needed to know one when I see it.”

“Or, the experience that leads you to expect such a case, leads you to look for signs that corroborate your expectations, and leads you to consider certain cases as ‘rape’ without adequate basis, perhaps?”

“You’re reaching pretty far, there. I’ll tell you now I won’t have any of it.”

“Indeed. So, how many of these cases do you believe you’ve seen before? 50? 100?”

“Far too many to count, and certainly more than that.”

“That sounds draining. It must have weakened your resolve considerably.”

“It’s one of the reasons I chose to leave the big city and accept a position in Ponyville for lower pay.”

“And, of course, when another case, with a few circumstantial similarities to those ones you grew accustomed to seeing comes through your door, you immediately jump to the worst conclusion.”

“On the contrary, I was surprised. I’d never come across a similar case during my tenure in Ponyville, so I was wary on being confronted with such indications. My reactions tend to be far from visceral, Mr. Scroll.”

“From your earlier testimony, you certainly seemed to make your conclusions very early on.”

“I’m trained to make initial decisions based on a worst-case scenario. In other, more pressing circumstances, that sort of thinking saves lives. However, great care and hours of thought go into my diagnoses. Always.”

“I see. Well, moving on, I’d like to return to the ‘pattern’ of sexual assault cases you used to characterize this one. Specifically, I would like to know whether Miss Dash’s injuries, or I could more accurately say lack thereof, fit this so-called ‘pattern’.”

Doctor Stable stared down at the lawyer, his brows furrowing as he did so. “I’m not sure why you make a point to say ‘lack thereof’, when there clearly was bodily harm involved.”

“Oh, yes. Your testimony and your notes, transcribing the statements of a certain Nurse Redheart, both describe the only so-called injury as…” The stallion strode languidly to his desk and leafed through a few documents, “… ‘a slight tearing of the hymen wall, leading to protracted bleeding’. My understanding is that this is not an uncommon occurrence, even in consensual sexual encounters, particularly virginal ones. Is that not correct?”

The doctor’s eyes lazily followed the lawyer’s every move. Twilight Sparkle, who could feel herself struggle to even stay still in her seat as the discourse bounced back and forth, marveled at how calm he remained—or at least, marveled at what a placid façade he was able to maintain through such questioning of his professional integrity. “Statistically speaking, no. It’s not unusual, but can certainly be indicative of a sexual encounter being more violent that we in the medical community like to see. Not to mention, need I remind you, this case can in no way be considered consensual.”

“Casual, then. This is not uncommon among casual sexual encounters. Ponies are not arrested after every casual romp they have, even if they might be a little bit rough. So there must be a more pressing issue here. You say you didn’t find any other injuries? No evidence Miss Dash was held down? That she was beaten? That she tried to resist at all?”

“No. No physical evidence of the sort.”

“And yet you say this still fits your ‘pattern’ of sexual assault cases. I seem to recall you saying Miss Dash was ‘fortunate’ not to have any further injuries. Wouldn’t that make her lack of injuries abnormal among your body of sexual assault cases? Wouldn’t that indicate that what you were looking at might not have been such an assault at all?”

“‘Abnormal’ is not the word I would use to describe it. ‘Fortunate’ is. End of story.”

“But certainly, signs of some—any—kind of struggle would be present in a majority of actual, criminal cases of rape or sexual assault. A complete lack of such signs surely must speak to whether or not this event was truly criminal?”

“They would be common, yes. But I’d hesitate to call their presence a majority feature. Rape comes in a variety of forms. Sometimes, the victim doesn’t know, or isn’t able, to resist. That doesn’t make them any less of a victim, and it doesn’t make the event any less of a rape.”

“But such a want for strong physical evidence would certainly make a proper diagnosis all the more difficult.”

“Difficult, but not impossible.”

“You see, Doctor Stable, that’s where I have a problem.”

The doctor’s face registered amusement, and he settling a bit further back in his chair. “Do tell.”

“My problem is, after all I’ve heard from you today, I have reason to believe you made a diagnosis based on insufficient evidence and a strong hunch on your part, and I don’t see that as enough to have my client prosecuted on.”

“Well, you’re certainly entitled to that opinion.”

“Tell me, Doctor, can you point to any physical evidence, anything at all, that would indicate a sign of coercion, and thus equate this event to anything other than a casual sexual encounter?”

"You mean, aside from the presence of semen from your client and the bleeding Miss Dash sustained?”

“The only thing either of those proves is that my client and Miss Dash had sexual intercourse. Neither could have given consent, but nothing you have referenced yet speaks to the casual nature of the encountered, and is certainly not enough to incriminate my client of anything criminal.”

“What of her psychological state, then? She was clearly despondent, briefly incoherent, and distressed after her ordeal. That clearly speaks to a traumatic event.”

“All of which can be easily explained as the after-effects of the alcohol and waking up from a magically-induced coma. That alone certainly sounds like a traumatic enough event to me. Being forced unconscious against your own will via a spell, cast by somepony you trust, no less? I’d consider that quite traumatic indeed.” Twilight Sparkle bristled, and could have sworn she saw her opposite glance in her general direction, if only briefly.

Doctor Stable, however, maintained a measured calm about himself. “On the contrary, if you’ll look in my notes, you’ll find Nurse Redheart explicitly stated Rainbow Dash clung to her friend for support for several minutes after wakening. If she trusted anypony during that time, it was Miss Sparkle.”

“Let us not forget that Miss Dash flew all the way to Ponyville from Cloudsdale while still well above legal intoxication levels. That sounds like quite the traumatic experience in and of itself.”

“Reaching again, Mr. Scroll?”

“Expressing reasonable doubt is never ‘reaching’, doctor.” Ink Scroll grinned. “Now, I only have one final question for you.”

“I eagerly await it.”

“Very well. Given the very limited evidence presented to you, can you prove, conclusively, that Rainbow Dash was indeed coerced into a sexual encounter with my client, and that it was anything other than casual?”

“Given her emotional state, and what I know of both her and the situation presented to me, I am very confident in my assertion that—“

“Doctor Stable,” the lawyer interjected, “I asked a very simply yes or no question, one that begs an equally simple answer. Can you prove your assertion, beyond any reasonable doubt?”

Something flashed in the doctor’s eyes, and for the first time since stepping into the witness stand, Twilight Sparkle felt she could sense some glimpse of emotion escape from the previously impenetrable stallion. It was anger, she decided, something she could commiserate in. Her ears felt ready to turn to steam at any second.

“Doctor, yes or no?”

And the flash was gone, replaced by cool, meditative calm. “I’m afraid I must say no. Not conclusively.”

“Thank you, Doctor. No further questions.”

Author's Note:

Well, there's another chapter done.

I do hope I managed to do some justice to Bright Star, at least as far as his past and his motivations go. This will be his final appearance. I hope you all liked him.

Other than that, this chapter was initially supposed to contain several more scenes after the ones you see here. (About 4 or 5 more, actually), but by the time I'd written 2 of those, I realized the chapter had reached 7.5K words, and probably warranted being split in two.

Thanks for reading!

Also: some mood music