• Published 26th Oct 2016
  • 8,441 Views, 305 Comments

His Greatest Treasure - RoyalBardofCanterlot



Filthy Rich always thought of himself as a good father and a good husband. One day he discovers that he was wrong.

  • ...
17
 305
 8,441

Interlude

Amethyst opened the poster-covered door to her room. Right across from her mahogany wood dresser was a pink bed which was covered in dolls. Diamond was almost obscured from view by the multicolored stuffed animals, puppies predominating. The young filly was clutching a stuffed German Shepherd. Amethyst climbed onto the bed and laid next to her.

Diamond held up the Shepherd. "I didn't know you had Ruffy."

Amethyst shrugged. "I know she was pretty awful last season, but she grew on me."

"She's cute. And I like her being one of the good guys now."

Silence settled between the two. Amethyst settled into the pile, knocking a few dolls away in order to rest more comfortably. Diamond continued clutching onto the doll, cuddling it.

"So, what's going on between your parents?"

Diamond settled deeper into the pile. Amethyst idly stroked the hair of her Princess Woof doll, waiting for the answer Diamond didn't seem very eager to give. The silence dragged on for an uncomfortably long time. A manic grin spread across Diamond's face. Amethyst inched away. "Hey, ya know what! Let's pretend Woof and Ruffy are having a tea party!"

"Um...okay. Yeah, that sounds fun." Amethyst smiled. "And it's Princess Woof now."

Diamond rolled her eyes. "I don't care if the stupid writers gave her two tails, she is never going to be a princess to me."

Amethyst giggled. "So Fluffy and Spot can join?"

She picked up the two tailed Poodle, the regular Poodle and the Jack Russel Terrier. Diamond hopped off the bed and fetched a plastic, white tea set decorated with roses that was sitting on Amethyst's dresser. Amethyst pulled up a small desk and two chairs. The two fillies sat across from each other.

Diamond pretended to pour tea into the cups and laid Woof and Ruffy on one side. Amethyst took up Fluffy and Spot.

Amethyst moved Fluffy, having her "drink" from the tea cup. "So, Ruffy, I'm so glad that we're all friends now."

The manic grin returned, crossing Diamond's features. Amethyst bit her lip, wanting to ask if she was okay. Diamond moved Ruffy. "Oh, yes! I promise to never be mean like I used to be! I want to be friends with you forever!"

Ruffy nuzzled Fluffy and Spot. Amethyst moved the dolls so that they returned the nuzzle.

Amethyst moved Fluffy up and down. "So, I'm having a bake sale! Want to help?"

Diamond moved Ruffy. "That sounds wonderful!" She moved Woof. "Yes, I too would like that!"

They both moved the dolls so that they appeared to drink from the cups.

Amethyst broke character. "No, really, I have the bake set. Want to?"

"Sure!" Diamond ran a hoof over Woof. "I have the bake set too. Daddy bought it for me..." She trailed off. The manic grin vanished. "I can't do this." She leaned back in the chair. "I'm sorry, Amethyst. I'm not in the mood for a tea party. Or playing at all. I just...I thought I could...I just..."

"You're the one that wanted to."

She threw Ruffy. The doll smacked against the mattress. "I thought I wanted to!"

Amethyst jumped up from her seat and retrieved the stuffed animal, nuzzling her. She glared at Diamond. "No need to take it out on poor Ruffy."

Diamond at least had the decency to look ashamed, a blush creeping across her face. She stared down at the floor. "Sorry." She trudged over and nuzzled Ruffy. "I'm sorry, Ruffy."

Amethyst rubbed Ruffy against Diamond's cheek. When she pulled the doll back, she saw that it was wet. She looked at Diamond, who had tears trailing down her face. Laying the doll on the bed, she wrapped both hooves around Diamond. Diamond returned the gesture. For a few moments they held each other before Amethyst pulled away, keeping both hooves on Diamond's shoulders. "Diamond? It'll feel better if you talk about it."

Diamond wiped at her eyes. "I don't know. I don't know what's going on with me. Amethyst, what's wrong with me? Why am I crying?"

"Is it because of your parents? Are they splitting up?"

Diamond's lip trembled. "I...I don't know. Maybe?"

Amethyst ushered her over to the bed and they lay next to each other. "What happened between your parents?"

"I don't think Mommy loves me anymore. I don't know if she ever did."

Amethyst rubbed her withers. "Ah, c'mon. Moms always love their foals. Always."

Diamond leaned against her. "Not her. She only loves me when I do what she wants me to do. But, sometimes, she tells me to do things that I...I know is wrong...to look down on others and just...just being mean. Sometimes she's mean to me."

"What did she do?"

Diamond took a deep breath. "She got mad at me because I wanted to make friends with these fillies she doesn't like because she says they're beneath me. Then Daddy got mad at her for spanking me so he spanked her."

Amethyst had a mental image of her aunt across her uncle's knee getting her rump smacked. A giggle escaped her lips.

"It's not that funny."

"I know. But, it's a little funny."

Diamond snorted. "Okay, it's a little funny."

Amethyst settled onto the bed, stretching her hooves. "Your mom does sound mean. I always kind of thought she was. I can't believe she doesn't love you at all, though. I mean, my mom has always loved me no matter how much of a brat I can be-"

"Well, we're not all lucky enough to have your mom!"

Amethyst cringed. "Sorry, sorry. So, what do you think's going to happen now?"

Diamond sighed, a tired sound. "I really don't know. If Mom and Dad split up, I want to live with Dad. But Dad is away a lot because of his job, so what if Mommy takes me? I don't want to live with Mommy."

"I'm sure you can live with your dad if you want to."

Diamond reached over and pulled Spot to her. Then she let go of the doll and stood up. "You were right. Talking about it did make me feel better. I'm going to be okay, Amethyst. I'm a diamond. Diamonds don't break." She smiled at Amethyst. "Especially not when a diamond has friends like you."

Amethyst stood and hopped off the bed. "The ice cream store is open. You know, the one that also sells pizza? I got my allowance yesterday, I'll buy."

Diamond licked her lips at the thought of fresh, cheese pizza. "Let's do it."

The fillies pranced out the room, Diamond following Amethyst.

...
Filthy slammed the door and leaned back against it, feeling himself collapse. Suddenly he felt the weight of his years, as if he were a swaybacked stallion several decades older. Stinking trotted over to him, laying a hoof on his shoulder. "I know that was hard."

"You don't know, Stinking. You really don't."

Stinking shook his head. "I've been in bad relationships before."

Filthy glared at his brother. "You ever married one of those mares? Ever had a child with one? Lived your life with them?"

Stinking sighed. "Well, no. There was this one mare, thought I loved her and then I found out she was cheating on me. That hurt. You remember that don't you?"

Filthy did. "The only time I ever saw you cry."

"Yeah. I was going to ask her to marry me."

"Spoiled gave me a sob story. Grew up poor. I knew she did, I never cared. I never cared about her background. Now I get the feeling she used me. It's not like I don't feel bad for her. She went through a lot of hardship, but that's no excuse for the way she treats me and Diamond."

"No, it isn't. And don't ever think it is."

Diamond and Amethyst came into the room. Amethyst hopped over to Stinking. "Daddy, can me and Diamond go over to the pizza place?"

"Sure, Sweetie. Just be back in time for supper."

Filthy stepped away from the door. "Actually, I think I'll go with you two. I could use some pizza." He could also use something stronger that would make him forget his troubles for a while, but that never solved anything. Saying goodbye to his brother and sister-in-law, he opened the door. Amethyst and Diamond scampered out after him.

...
Spoiled ambled along the city streets, walking along a railing. She had been walking for several hours. She knew she should go back to Ponyville, look after her husband's business. She couldn't bring herself to.

It felt too much like surrender.

The river glowed in the orange light of the setting sun. Sharp, jagged rocks pushed up from beneath the waves. It would be nightfall soon. She stopped and stared at her reflection. She was beautiful. She stopped and wondered if something was deeply wrong with her. Ponies had been telling her something was deeply wrong with her for years now. For the first time, she was toying with the remotest hint of a possibility that those Ponies had a point.

It's over.

Her husband's last words had been ringing in her ears for the past several hours, ever since he had slammed the door in her face. Since he had raised the hypothetical scenario of giving up his wealth, something they both knew he would never do.

Or, she assumed it was something he would never do. There were times when she wasn't sure she still knew him. He had changed so much over the years.

Had she changed with him?

It's over.

She allowed herself to consider that her husband-possibly soon to be ex-husband-had a point. They were no longer working. Arguments and differences in values had torn away what had once been there. What had once been there? Love? Did she love Filthy? Had she ever loved Filthy?

She stared into the darkening waters.

Did she love Diamond Tiara? Had she ever loved Diamond Tiara?

Had she ever loved anypony at all?

She conjured up images of her family. Days they'd spent exploring the city she now stood in. Picnics. Bedtimes she'd tucked Diamond in, read to her, kissed her mane. Watching Diamond grow, molding her into a strong pony, a rich pony. She was deeply proud of her family.

But that wasn't the question. Did she love her family?

She choked at the vast emptiness inside of her, an emptiness that turned everything cold. She stared at the water. How inviting it looked.

Without Filthy to desire her, without Diamond to love her, what was she?

Alone.

She would be alone. The thought was unbearable. A tremble spread through her. She could not be alone. There had to be others to fill up the emptiness deep inside of her, others to praise her, love her, give her the attention she needed and craved. The attention she deserved.

Gazing at her reflection in the river she could not help but notice her beauty. She could kiss her reflection, leap into the river, and then she would be part of the endless current. She would no longer feel the terrible emptiness that had haunted her for her entire life.

How long would it take? A few minutes? It would be painful. Her body would swell up. Whoever found her would believe she was fat. That would not do.

She tore herself away from the river and kept walking aimlessly. She would go back to Ponyville, care for the store in Filthy's absence and prove to him that he needed her.

Author's Note:

Guess which mental illness Spoiled has.