• Published 28th Nov 2011
  • 9,275 Views, 677 Comments

Winter's Howl - 71NYL-5CR4TCH



Rainbow Dash x Custom Character shipping with lots of comedy

  • ...
18
 677
 9,275

Epilogue


Winter’s Howl

Epilogue

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Hurry up Scootaloo, you’re going to be late for school!” A voice called up the stairs as Scootaloo frantically styled her mane.

“Just give me a minute, Dash!” She called back, “I want to look good for my first day!”

Another familiar voice came from the lower level of the house, “Not much you can do to help that!”

Scootaloo rolled her eyes and giggled at the sound of her brother being struck by Rainbow, along with a hushed 'You're not helping!'.

“I still don’t get why I have to start school before Rainstorm!” Scootaloo complained as she hovered down the stairs. Her wings were fully-grown now, and flying came naturally to her. A flaming scooter adorned her flank, proudly displaying her special talent.

“Because he’s just a little colt, so he doesn’t have to go to school for as long,” Snowstorm explained, “besides, aren’t you excited now? You did nothing but complain how bored you were all summer.”

“Yeah, but I wasn’t ‘gee I sure do want to go to school’ bored! Do you have any idea how extreme that boredom would need to be?!”

Rainbow walked up now, carrying a sack lunch in her mouth, “Oh hush, it’s your last first day. You’ve only got one more year to suffer through.”

Scootaloo grabbed the sack lunch in her own mouth, “Yeah, yeah…just don’t start weather without me ok?” Scootaloo turned and opened the door to see a beautiful summer day before her.

“We already finished kiddo.” Rainbow chuckled.

“Aww man, I needed those bits!” Scootaloo whined.

“For what? You never buy anything except stuff for your scooter!” Snowstorm raised an eyebrow. It was true; she did invest a ton of money into her hobby, almost as much as Snowstorm did into skiing when Hearthwarming came around.

“Well…So? I still want money.”

Don't we all... Snowstorm thought to himself. Suddenly, a loud banging came from upstairs as an energetic little colt proceeded to buzz down the hallway and stairs, bumping into several walls as he flew. He was still a foal, but had picked up flying almost as fast as walking, and seemed to enjoy it more. His coat was sky blue, complimented by a mane displaying a spread of all tints and shades of blue.

“Sis! Where are you going?” The small colt spoke with worry upon arriving at his destination.

“I’m just going to school Rainstorm. I’ll be back in a few hours, ok squirt?”

“Oh…Okay…” Rainstorm hung his little head disappointed.

“I still think it’s adorable he calls Scootaloo ‘Sis’…” Rainbow commented, “he just won’t accept her as 'Aunt', will he?”

“I don’t think so, but it also makes more sense. She’s more of an older sister to him anyway…”

“Mommy? Daddy?” Rainstorm approached his parents with sad, burgundy eyes, “When is Scootaloo coming back?”

“Around three o’clock sweetie. She has school, remember?” Rainbow kissed her son on top of his head.

“What’s school?” He asked, curious now.

“Well, son, School is a place you go to learn new things and make new friends. You’ll be going to school in a few weeks, you know.” Snowstorm spoke confidently.

“So I’ll get to see Scootaloo all the time?!” Rainstorm got excited, and began to levitate off the ground.

“Well no…you’ll be going to a school for foals, a young pony’s school…” Snowstorm explained cautiously.

“Oh…” the young colt’s smile faded, before returning to a hopeful grin, “well, is school fun?”

“No.”

Snowstorm felt a firm elbow jab into his ribs, causing him to let out a heave.

“I mean, yes. Yes it is.” Snowstorm said, out of breath and through winces.

Rainstorm raised an eyebrow before turning to his mother.

“Mom, can I go play with my friends?”

“Of course you can sweetie, just be back by dinner.” Rainbow brought her son close and kissed him again on the cheek before sending him out the door. Rainstorm was greeted by two other energetic colts, both awaiting his arrival. Rainstorm was slightly younger than Scootaloo was when Snowstorm first found her, but was already quite the active pony.

It was amazing how little she and her friends had changed over the years, especially after the disbanding of the cutie mark crusaders. Sweetie Bell had been the first to get her cutie mark, Snowstorm recalled the energetic filly bursting into the home, unannounced, screaming for Scootaloo. Her cutie mark was a bell, with musical notes fallowing out of it. Her singing had taken her many places, and for about a month over this most recent summer, she actually toured with Sapphire Shores.

Applebloom was the next to get her mark, a beautiful apple flower, after realizing that she had a real talent for taking care of beautiful flowers while staying with Fluttershy one weekend. She now ran a gardening business at Sweet Apple Acres, with the full support of her family. Her business almost failed until the death of her Grandmother. Ponies came from all over Ponyville to buy Applebloom’s flowers, all of which ended up adorning the grave of her beloved granny. The bits she raised were enough to buy a small greenhouse, and before she new it ponies came from all over Equestria just to buy her beautiful blossoms.

Scootaloo had continued to ride her Scooter throughout her foalhood, until one day she was invited to compete in an extreme sports contest with other ponies from all over Equestria. The princesses themselves even attended, and watched in awe as Scootaloo performed the first ever 900 degree turn off a skate ramp, and was awarded with first prize along with her very own cutie mark.

After all of the events the three continued to stay friends, and even supported each other in their endeavors, often attending concerts, garden displays (particularly difficult for Scootaloo), and skate shows.

Surprisingly to everypony, Applejack had married the mare of her dreams, and to the mare no pony suspected, Rarity. As it should later turn out, the opposites attracted in strange ways, and the confession of feelings was interesting to say the least. Rainbow was asked to be the mare of honor at the ceremony. She happily agreed.

Ms. Warmhearth had left the town shortly after the birth of Rainstorm, and opened up a new hotel outside of a ski slope. She was having much more success with her business, and enjoyed having the summer off, frequently visiting Snowstorm and the other residents of Ponyville.

After the death of her husband, Snowstorm’s mother moved to Ponyville, helping her son in his frantic process of becoming a father at such a young age. Icicle now cared for Scootlaoo every other week, still as loving and supportive as ever, despite the trauma of her recent past.

Pinkie Pie was given the opportunity to throw the two biggest parties of her life, the first, for Snowstorm and Rainbow’s wedding. The ceremony and reception were both incredibly rushed in planning, but Pinkie managed to throw together the a bash to rival the Grand Galloping Gala. Conveniently, said party, along with some hard apple cider, gave Applejack the ‘courage’ to admit her feelings for Rarity. Rarity, whom had also partaken in a fair amount of rose wine, admitted she returned said feelings. Their wedding was only three months later.

Fluttershy had become a veterinarian, and enjoyed her job more than anything. She had met somepony who could help her with her courage issues, who ended up being tricked by Fluttershy into coaching her through confessing her love for him. Soarin retired from the Wonderbolts to live with Fluttershy, and for the first time in years, a position had opened up in the flying acrobatic team. A position Rainbow refused immediately.

Twilight continued to study under Princess Celestia, and was the first pony to ever develop a spell that could teleport ponies, and be used by any unicorn. When it was decided that Twilight had learned more than her teacher could ever imagine, she was hired as a teacher of magic in Canterlot. She spent her weekends and summer in her ‘true’ home of Ponyville.

Snowstorm sighed as he watched his son hop away with his friendsm chatting about the upcoming days events, and how they would ‘cram as much summer’ into each day of remaining vacation as possible.

Snowstorm turned to Rainbow, “Did we have any plans for the day?”

“Not that I know of. Why?”

“I was thinking of visiting the cemetery.”

“I’ll join you.” Rainbow spoke gently

Snowstorm and Rainbow approached a tombstone, one amongst hundreds, with nothing extraordinary to set it aside from its crowd. Snowstorm sighed as he crouched down next to the stone and spoke quietly.

“I really miss you dad. Mom is doing well and helping us a lot with Rainstorm…I…I wish you could be here to watch your grandson grow, I know you’d be so proud of him…he starts school soon and I know you’ll help look after him when I’m not around.” Tears began to form in the corners of Snowstorms eyes before a protective wing shooed them away.

Snowstorm set down wreath of beautiful apple blossoms, leaning against the stone

“These are for you…”