• Published 28th Nov 2011
  • 9,263 Views, 677 Comments

Winter's Howl - 71NYL-5CR4TCH



Rainbow Dash x Custom Character shipping with lots of comedy

  • ...
18
 677
 9,263

Chapter 15: Cold Winter Nights

Winter’s Howl

Chapter 15: Cold Winter Nights

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rainbow walked alongside Snowstorm, her head resting on his shoulder. Their meal had been fantastic: a wholesome carrot casserole, with a delicious apple pie for dessert. Rainbow sighed in content. With her belly full, and her stallion by her side, things felt right in her world. This is the good life, she thought. I haven’t had anything but carryout and Pinkie Pie’s party food in months; maybe I should stay here more often!

Snowstorm gently draped his wing over Rainbow as they neared the end of the hall. The guest bedroom was small and crowded with boxes full of miscellaneous items.

“Terribly sorry about the condition of your old bedroom dear,” Icicle had stated over dinner, “we would have tidied up if we knew we were having company”

“Wow,” Rainbow thought aloud, “This place is kind of a wreck…”

Snowstorm chuckled, “At least they cleaned it up a little since I moved out…you should have seen it when I lived in here.”

Rainbow examined the small bedroom. While it was crowded with boxes, it was at least clean. Only one thing about the room really bothered her.

“Two beds. Your parents said you had two guest beds…” Rainbow gave Snowstorm a dead-pan stare. He raised an eyebrow.

“Yeah…and there they are…”

“She didn’t say they’d be in the SAME ROOM!” Rainbow extended a hoof, pointing toward the two beds that lay in the cramped room. “Or that they’d be bucking BUNK BEDS!”

“Oh…I could see why that’s different….” Snowstorm lowered his head, smiling meekly.

“I swear, when you move into your house we are gonna be making up for lost time buddy…”

Icicle coughed.

The pair spun around immediately to see the older mare, raising an eyebrow, frowning. Both Snowstorm and Rainbow blushed intensely and stood silently.

“Well, if you two need separate beds due to your…urges…I’m sure Snowstorm can take the couch…”

If ponies had a die-on-command button, Snowstorm would have used it then and there; fortunately, he found himself without.

“Uh, heh, well I guess it’s good practice since Scootaloo’s going to be staying with me a lot anyways…”

“Yeah, sure, will go with that…just…yeah…” At least they got the message Icicle thought. “Anyways, here are the sheets and some extra blankets incase you get cold.” Icicle handed her son the blankets and walked back down the hall. Scootaloo passed her mother and told her goodnight while heading down to her bedroom for the night. As she reached the end of the hall she stepped into the bedroom, briefly appraising her surroundings.

Scootaloo turned to Snowstorm“ The bunk beds? You KEPT those things?”

“What? I still fit in them and they were comfy…” Snowstorm backed up a bit, still blushing from his previous conversation.

“Whatever, dibs on top bunk!” Scootaloo hopped to the bed and climbed the small ladder to the top.

“Um, yeah, I think that’s best.” Snowstorm and Rainbow climbed into the bottom bunk, bowing their heads under the low wooden beams. As the pair attempted to get comfy, they found that they were not only permitted, but forced to cuddle together.

“Are you comfy?” Snowstorm asked, his voice quiet.

“Yeah, I’m fine,” Rainbow whispered.

“Ok, goodnight Rainbow.” Snowstorm pecked Rainbow on the cheek and cuddled in closer to her.

Rainbow began to drift into sleep, enjoying the comforting feeling of Snowstorm’s forelegs rapped around her body…that is until she felt an elbow jab her side

“Hey, watch where you poke that thing!” Rainbow said in a loud whisper.

Scootaloo opened her eyes, and looked downward in confusion, careful not to move.

“I need more space for this!” Snowstorm responded, attempting to adjust the blankets over his body.

Scootaloo’s eyes opened wide now, a disgusted look crossing her face.

“Well then quit it! Besides, your hooves are FREEZING!” Rainbow continued to gripe as Snowstorm adjusted the sheets over both of them.

“Celestia, this was so much easier at the hotel…” Snowstorm grumbled to himself.

“Now you’re going to get the bed all hot from moving around to much!” Rainbow complained. “Now I’m thirsty…”

Snowstorm handed Rainbow a glass of water from the nightstand beside him. While she drank, Snowstorm gave a firm pull to their blanket with a grunt. The glass of water shook in Rainbow’s hooves, causing it to spill on her coat.

“Aw, you got it all over my coat!” rainbow cried out.

Scootaloo had heard enough, “Yeah that’s fine! Spare me the filter!” Scootaloo raised her voice, making sure she was heard above the….ruckus below.

“Oh crap we woke up Scoots….wait what about a filter?” Snowstorm got out of bed, now sporting a suspicious look.

“You guys know I can hear everything that goes on down there…” Scootaloo flipped on her side in the bed, looking at her brother with disgust.

Snowstorm returned with a stare, “I was adjusting the blankets…”

“Oh…” Scootaloo stopped.

“oh for the love of…get you mind out of the gutter! You’re like, 12!” Snowstorm pinched the bridge of his nose between a hoof before thrusting it at his little sister. Scootaloo simply rolled her eyes and turned in her bed to face the opposing wall.

Snowstorm sighed, and crawled back into bed with Rainbow. He looked Rainbow in her eyes and spoke softly, “I swear, where does a little filly like her learn about this kinda stuff?”

Rainbow shrugged before a mischievous grin spread across her face. She raised a hoof, pointing at the bunk above her, “You know, she said we could spare her the-“

“NO.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sunrise came early in cloudsdale, far above the Equestrian terrain. As soon as Celestia’s sun became visible on the horizon, light filled the small bedroom. Snowstorm was the first to wake, his eyes slowly shifting open.

“Buh..?” He looked around, slightly confused to be in his old bedroom. He looked at Rainbow and smiled, she was sleeping soundly, and had fallen asleep sometime after he did. He looked over her body and noticed his own hoof still lying underneath her. Oh no…he thought as the feeling crept up his foreleg. I’m not going to be able to move that leg all day… The tingling crept over his entire body as he slid his limb from underneath Rainbow. The tingles weren’t so bad; it was the feeling that came next which he despised. The hot rush of blood surged into his sleeping foreleg as he attempted to bend it at the knee. I can’t even move the damned thing. He grabbed hold of his own leg with another, and began to shake violently. His limp joint now flailed wildly, as blood began to rush back into the numb sections of his hoof.

At somepoint during Snowstorm’s wild flapping of his own hoof, Rainbow had awoken and rolled over to come face to face with the sight.

“Uh…what are you doing?” Rainbow asked through giggles.

“Oh, your awake. Sorry, my hoof fell asleep underneath you last night and I’m trying to wake it up.”

“Ahh.”

The pair heard a yawn come from above, followed by some brief rustling. Suddenly, Scootaloo’s head pooped into view, hanging from above. “Morning!”

“Morning Sis, sleep well?”

“Yeah pretty good, you?”

“We slept alright, little cramped though…”

Scootaloo looked at the couple, “Yeah I can see that…” she paused and sniffed at the air. “Do…do you guys smell that?”

Snowstorm sniffed the air and grinned, “Oh yes…That’s the smell of some warm, fresh-“

“PANCAKES!!” Scootaloo burst out of bed and through the door, eager for a decent breakfast.

Snowstorm laughed an turned to Rainbow, “Pancakes?”

“Sounds great!”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After the family had eaten their breakfast, short goodbyes took place, with promises to return within the week, along with whatever Scootaloo wanted to bring with her.

“I still don’t know if it was a good idea to give her all that maple syrup right before the ride home…” Snowstorm hugged his mother, giving her a nervous smile.

“Get used to it sweetie; your looking out for her most of the time now.”

“Is this punishment for last night?” Snowstorm inquired.

“Oh most definitely. Have fun carrying her!”
Both of them laughed briefly before Snowstorm adopted a serious face, “No, seriously, this is going to be a massive pain in the flank.”

“Oh I know dear, all the more reason to get into giving her some flying lessons!” Icicle beamed. “Well, I suppose you’ll be off now, I’ll see you in a week! Rainbow, it was very nice meeting you,” Icicle hugged the rainbow filly before backing up, “take care of them, ok?”

“Yes ma’am!” Rainbow saluted, “Sea mist, it was nice to meet you too.”

“A pleasure. I’ll see you next week?” Sea mist replied with a small smile.

“I hope so. Well, we better be off, goodbye you two!”

“Bye Mom, by Dad!” Scootaloo waved before climbing onto snowstorms back, a wide, toothy grin on her face.

While Icicle waved, smiling, Sea Mist stood still a moment. A tear began to form in the corer of his eye as a he smiled.

Snowstorm tuned around, “Bye Mom, see you later Sea-…Dad.” Snowstorm swallowed, but gave an earnest smile.

Sea Mist began to feel his lips quiver as he waved back. She called me dad…HE called me dad…I’m dad… Sea Mist thought as he watched his children take off into the skies.