• Published 28th Nov 2011
  • 9,273 Views, 677 Comments

Winter's Howl - 71NYL-5CR4TCH



Rainbow Dash x Custom Character shipping with lots of comedy

  • ...
18
 677
 9,273

Chapter 14: Warming up to the Cold

Winter’s Howl

Chapter 14: Warming up to the Cold

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

20 minutes passed until Snowstorm’s mother regained consciousness. Snowstorm and Rainbow had carried her into her cloud home and placed her on the couch after she collapsed on the sidewalk. Past that, nopony was sure how to treat the unconscious mare, so they simply waited, discussing living arrangements.They dropped their conversation as soon as the elder mare let out a low groan.

“Mom? Mom are you ok?” Snowstorm approached his mother as her eyelids fluttered open.

“Wha…what happened?” She asked, while putting a hoof to her head.

“Ok…you fainted because…” Snowstorm attempted to be gentle, carefully wording the news so as not to panic his mother again.

“I remember….you…and a filly…and…Scootaloo…”Upon finishing her sentence, she immediately shot to attention. “Scootaloo! Where is she? Is she ok? I want to talk to her!” Her head no swung back and forth rapidly, causing the bun on the back of her head to flail wildly.

“Whoa, whoa, calm down mom…she’s right here.” Snowstorm stood aside and allowed his mother to see past him, Scootaloo now visible, wearing a nervous smile.

“Hey Mom…”

Their mother stood silent, her eyes wide and jaw agape.

“You’re not going to faint again, are you?”

Scootaloo’s mother shook her head rapidly in attempts to break her trance and disbelief. “No! No dear…I just…I just can’t believe it’s you…it’s been so long. So very, very long…”

Tears began to form in the corner of her eyes, as a gentle smile spread across her face.

“I thought we lost you…” Tears were now streaming down her cheeks, but she held her smile. “Oh Scootaloo!”

Their mother rushed forward, pulling Scootaloo into a tight embrace, now openly sobbing. “Wh-where have you been? W-we looked everywhere for y-you!” She now lost her smile, allowing tears to flow freely, reflective streaks forming upon her cheeks.

Rainbow Dash began to cry as well. She didn’t know why, but there was something so heartwarming about the moment that it simply brought tears to her shimmering eyes. Snowstorm’s eyes glistened as he smiled, but tears did not spring.

Scootaloo began to cry too, returning her mother’s embrace. “I-I was in Ponyville. I have been for a long time…”

Scootaloo’s mother now released her, petting down her forelegs and back with her hooves, as if examining for cuts and bruises. “Ponyville? How on earth did you get there? Why didn’t you come home?”

“The night of the fight I hopped into a mail cart and waited until they threw me out. At first I didn’t want to come home, because I thought you’d be mad…then when I wanted to come home, I couldn’t…After a while I made so many friends in Ponyville that it was my home, and I’ve been there ever since.”

Scootaloo’s mother continued to check over her daughter, “But where did you stay? Or sleep? Who fed you?”

Scootaloo went on to explain her situation in Ponyville, and how she came to arrive here today. After a while, both she and her mother had stopped crying, while her mother listened intently, only asking questions from time to time.

“…I see,” Scootaloo’s mother replied after her daughter finished, “it sounds like you have a real home in Ponyville…your friends, and now, your brother…” her eyes began to feel watery again, threatening additional sobs. She took a sharp breath in, “I just wish I could have been there to watch you grow up…”

Once again, sobs rocketed her body as she began listing events she had missed, “Oh, your first tooth, your first day of school, your first flight, I missed them all!” Scootaloo’s mother wailed.

“Actually I haven’t flown yet…” Scootaloo replied meekly, “I can use my wings to push me around on my scooter, but Ponyville has an earth pony school…they don’t teach you to fly…”

Her mother chuckled between less intense sobs, “heh, kinda bittersweet news for me…but I’m glad I will get to be there for that part of your life.” She sighed, her sobs subsiding, “Oh I’m so sorry Scootaloo, I’m just an emotional wreck…”

Scootaloo chuckled, “It’s ok mom, I understand.”

Scootaloo’s mother hugged her daughter tightly before looking her in the eyes. “Obviously I don’t want to miss another part of you growing up, but I can’t imagine tearing you away from Ponyville, and now, your brother. Obviously you’re welcome to move in with us if you want, but I won’t force you.”

Scootaloo sighed, a hard choice had been laid out in front of her. Obviously she wanted to stay with Ponyville, but now that she had been reunited with her mother, technically that was where she should stay.

Snowstorm broke the silence, “I actually plan on getting a home in Ponyvile, as I’ve landed a job with a steady enough income. You can stay with me if you want Scoots…”

Scootaloo seemed pleased with this idea, that way, she could be close to her friends and her brother, but that still meant not getting to see her mother. Plus, constantly living with someone dating her idol could be…awkward, on a LOT of levels. Then an idea creeped into her head.

“Well…what if I stay with Snowstorm during the week…and then I spend weekends here?”

Scootaloo’s mother grinned, “I think that’s a wonderful idea! That way you can stay close with all your friends. Maybe these old wings can even give you some flying lessons while you’re here with me.”

Scootaloo turned to her brother, who nodded in conformation, “I think that’s an awesome idea sis, and I’d be happy to teach you when your not in school too. I’m sure Rainbow would love to help too,” Rainbow nodded.

Scootaloo smiled, she not only had a home now, but two, and a family that loved her dearly. Plus flying lessons form THE Rainbow Dash! Life finally seemed to be falling in order once again.

Suddenly, flaps where heard from outside the door to the cloud home, followed by a gentle ‘poof’, indicating a pony had landed just outside the door. The four ponies inside turned to face the door as it opened slowly. A large, sea green pegasus entered the home, removing a trilbilly hat from his short, white mane. He rested it on a hat rack before turning into the living room and facing the ponies inside.

“Um…Hello…Snowstorm…”He nodded at Snowstorm, “Glad to see you’re home…with company…” He walked into the room, somewhat awkwardly. “Icicle, Snowstorm, who are these two lovely young fillies?” He gave a small grin, obviously unaware of the scene, taking place.

“Sea Mist, this is Rainbow Dash, Snowstorm's, uh, friend.” She wasn’t sure what the two meant to each other, so she choose the safest word she could think of, “And this…” she paused, smiling, “is Scootaloo…”

Sea Mist paused. “Scootaloo..? As in…your Scootaloo?” He asked, unsure.

Icicle responded sweetly, “Yes dear…my Scootaloo…our Scootaloo…”

Sea Mist walked up to Scootaloo, who stood awkwardly. Sea Mist crouched down. He was significantly shorter than Snowstorm, but was still a full-grown stallion. “Hey Scootaloo…It’s uh…it’s nice to meet you…I’ve uh….I’ve heard a lot about you, but I never thought I’d actually get to…you know…meet you.”

Scootaloo gave an awkward smile, “Can’t say the same, I just got here not too long ago…”

Sea Mist stood up, “So…are you going to be living with us now, Scootaloo?”

“Only on weekends, it looks like.” Scootaloo replied.

“Well, then I guess we’ll be getting to know each other huh?” Sea Mist gave Scootaloo a small noogie, allowing her to truly smile now.

“Heh, yeah, I guess so…”

Sea Mist turned to the rest of the group, “Obviously you’re all welcome to stay the night, I just hope we have enough space to accompany you all. We only have two guest beds…”

“Won’t be a problem,” Rainbow interjected, blushing slightly at what she’d just admitted to a pony she’d just met. “Um…hi…I’m Rainbow Dash…I’m your son’s fillyfriend.” Rainbow felt a little nervous. It was the first time she’d actually used that title, she hoped Snowstorm wouldn’t be upset.

“Wait…THE Rainbow Dash? As in, winner of the best young flyer competition? First pony to ever do a SONIC RAINBOOM?!”

“Heh, yeah, that’s me!” Rainbow basked in the recognition, it was her bread and butter.

“Wow, and you're dating Snowstorm?”

“Yes siree!”

Sea Mist paused for a moment before leaning in and whispering to Rainbow, “Why?”

‘Whap!’ Sea Mist felt a hoof smack him upside the head. “Ow…What was that for?” He asked, turning to his wife.

“I think you know very well.” She said, giving him a stern look.

“Heh, ok, ok.” He rubbed the back of his head with a hoof while turning to Snowstorm, who gave him an unamused look. “Well, it looks like if I thought you anything it’s how to pick ‘em. Proud of ya boy!” Sea Mist gave Snowstorm a hearty pat on the back.

“Well, if everypony’s alright with the idea, I say I whip us up some dinner and then we can retire to our bedrooms, hm?” Icicle gave a warm smile.

Everypony nodded in response. Food sounded great, especially after another long day such as this one.

“Great! I’ll put the stove on!”