• ...
27
 547
 3,425

PreviousChapters Next
21 - Vs. Will

{The challenge continues.}

The sunroof showed the dark of night’s approach as Aengus and Rarity entered the second battle chamber. Most of the tiling was a rosy lavender, with a soft magenta grout. Walls were black, lined with silvery pillars. Overhead was a long sunroof. The marked battlefield was again in white, though the Pokéball pattern this time was lapis blue above and royal purple below.

Looking across the room, Rarity scratched her chin with a drawn-out “Hmmm.”

There stood a thin man in a close-fitting black Victorian-era double-breasted vest, gold chains linking the two halves, a white ruffle cravat, plum purple pants and shirt, well-shined black square-toed dress shoes, and a broad black mask. His mauve hair lay straight, parted just enough to keep the vast majority of it out of his face. He began, “Good evening! You have done well to have advanced this far! Allow me to introduce my...self...um, hello?”

While the man was talking, Rarity had walked away from Aengus and up to this fellow. She pursed her lips pensively, slowly walking around him, looking him up and down. Without stopping her examination, she asked, “You are Will, are you not? Please hold still.”

“I...am, but what are you doing?” Will responded, now only turning his head to follow her. “If the journalists can be trusted, I presume you are Miss Rarity, correct?”

“Correct, despite trusting those newspapers,” said Rarity, still examining him thoroughly. “The articles I’ve seen are anti-pony, very subtle in their delivery, but the slant is definitely there.”

Will nodded. “So you suspect the same thing as I do. Let me pass on some information to you that we here at The Indigo League learned from the World Champion himself, but wasn’t released to the press.”

Rarity’s ear perked up. “Do go on, sir.”

“Your friend, Princess Twilight, detected there were ten Pony-Pokémon hybrids,” Will said.

Aengus nodded. “Yes, me brother said the ninth egg to hatch was the one he wanted.”

Will paused with a long look at Aengus, frowning. His face eased as he turned back to Rarity and continued, “After Oak put that bounty out on the ‘Twixies,’ seven trainers approached him about it before noon, each one cashing in with confirmation from Her Highness. Another of your friend’s inner circle had captured another. Since Padraíg undoubtedly still has the one he meant to breed, there’s only one left unaccounted for.”

Rarity cocked her head to one side, “Is there a reason to gather up Trixie’s, erm...progeny? I do not see whatever is the matter.”

“Oak did not say in his e-mail, but left the strong impression retrieving them all was quite serious, and to be done at once. I was hoping you would know,” Will said with a hint of disappointment.

“My apologies, but I have not met this Mr. Oak,” said Rarity. “About your other question, what I’m doing, is my profession and passion. I design and sew elegant dresses in the three shops I own and operate, a rising star of the fashion world, if I do say so myself. Only occasionally do I feel the urge to create formalwear for stallions, but when I do, they are dapper...dashing, even attirant. Trust a lady to know what a lady wants to see. And I see here garments that flow excellently with your figure, complimenting you quite handsomely. I had not thought of pairing plum against a mauve coiffure, but they are distant-enough purples to work together. A lady at the masquerade should be delighted to be on your arm, dressed as you are.”

Will clasped his hands together and bowed graciously. With a smile he said, “Most kind. I appreciate your keen eye that so many challengers lack.”

“About all I would change would be to add white lace cuffs to the shirt, matching the pattern of your cravat. Perhaps a town coat and top hat for while you’re outdoors,” Rarity said with a satisfied grin. She stared at the vest again, and pursed her lips. Raising an eyebrow, she continued, “I have to ask, darling, what fibre is your vest? I do not recognize it at all. I would like to think a black wool tweed would be best there.”

Will grimaced slightly as he said, “The vest is a, um, fine polyester blend made with—”

“Polyester!? C’mon, man!” groaned Devontae from the spectator section beside the sun roof.

“—made with cashmere and merino, giving it both durability and a soft texture,” Will finished after a delay, frowning upward.

Rarity raised an eyebrow. “Merino wool and cashmere I’m familiar with, certainly have used both before, but what’s polyester?”

“Synthetic,” said Aengus. “It’s a plastic.”

Rarity’s face looked like she had just been force-fed a three-day old, microwave reheated dogpile. She burst, “Plastic!? You’re wearing plastic?! Why would you do this?! What in the name of haute couture were you thinking!?”

“Somebody of your fashion sense and knowledge ought to know how easily cashmere is damaged,” Will answered displeased.

“Which is why you should wear wool tweed, like I said! Even angora would be preferable!” Rarity fired back.

“And run around as a fluff ball?! Now which one of us has poor taste!?” Will yelled.

Aengus shouted, “Oy! We’re not here to bicker over fabric, and you two will be here half the night quibbling away before we even send out our first Pokémon! Can we do what we came here to do!?”

Both of them shut up. After a moment Will smirked at Aengus and said, “Very well, as you wish. After that outburst, losing against her is not an option!”

{Time to fight. Round Two!}

Aengus threw a Pokéball, hollering, “Come, Mismagius! It’s your time to shine!”

“Bronzong, I choose you!” Will yelled.

A dark teal floating droid appeared from Will’s ball, with paddle-like arms, and red eyes near its base. Mismagius snickered unsettlingly as it looked across at its opponent. Rarity looked it over and said to Aengus, “I see it’s part Steel-type.”

“Sure is,” Aengus said. “Ran into them in Mt. Coronet. Not easily dropped, especially with Abilities that cover one weakness or the other.”

Rarity tapped her chin and mused, “Steel’s defense covers Psychic’s weaknesses against Bug and Dark, and Psychic covers weakness against Fighting, but Fire and Ground are still available, right?”

“Exactly. Its ability is either Levitating or Heatproof, and most of those I encountered had Levitating,” said Aengus. His eyes darkened as he ordered, “Mismagius, use Mystical Fire!”

“Bronzong, use Feint Attack!” Will answered.

“Crap, I forgot they learned that move!” Aengus scoffed, punching himself in the thigh. Fire gathered around Mismagius and shot forward. Bronzong was pushed back, but only for a moment. Aengus grumbled, “...figures.”

“So...Ground attacks it is,” Rarity muttered with a slight frown. Bronzong began floating in a circle and appeared to fade away. A moment later came a smacking sound as it reappeared, leaving Mismagius looking not very well at all. Rarity frowned as Mismagius wiped at its face with one of its dangling tendrils as she said, “This is off to a bad start.”

“Yeah. Yeah it is,” grumbled Aengus. “And guess what type Mismagius cannot learn a single thing from. Guess this will do little more than weaken it. Use Shadow Ball!”

“Again, Bronzong!”

Rarity sighed as the dark undulating spheroid came together in front of Mismagius, and slammed into Bronzong. While the impact was not useless, none there were surprised it was not enough to knock out its target. The expected riposte came exactly as it did the round before, sending Mismagius back into her ball. Rarity nickered as Aengus reached for another Pokéball. He yelled, “Excadrill, you’re up!”

She came forth from the Pokéball with a fierce smile, looking straight at the machine-Pokémon-thing across from her. Excadrill bounded on the balls of her feet as Aengus ordered, “Use Earthquake!”

Will winced, then shouted, “Confuse Ray, Bronzong!”

With a punch and stomp, Excadrill induced the floor and ground underneath them all to shake, rattle, and roll. Bronzong had toppled and vanished in a parade of pink shards of light. Will sighed through his nose, shaking his head. Excadrill looked back at Rarity with a giddy grin and a thumbs-up, or medial claw as it turned out. Returning the smile, Rarity cheered, “Good job! Keep it going!”

Will yelled, “Sigilyph, go!”

A green, black, and white ball with black forks for hands, blue eyes in its middle, a black eyestalk jutting out of its top, and wings and tail with fork tines instead of feathers in yellow, pale blue, and red flapped and hovered there. Rarity carefully looked over this creature that looked like it had been lifted from a Navajo woven blanket, or rather somebody’s attempt to recreate the style. Aengus sighed, “Knew I should have had her learn a Rock-type attack. Oh well. Use Metal Claw!”

“Ice Beam!”

A thin, cyan ray fired out of Sigilyph’s body, cleanly hitting Excadrill. She was forced back a step, but quickly tore into Sigilyph’s central body. Despite the obvious gouging, there was no blood, or even a mark on Sigilyph. It faltered in its hovering briefly, but nothing more. Rarity muttered under her breath, “Thanks goodness that didn’t leave a gaping wound. I don’t want to see dinner again.”

“Just gonna be small blow for small blow, huh?” Aengus grumbled. He shook his head, and yelled, “Again!”

“Yes, again!” answered Will.

The scene continued playing out just like that, blows exchanged with Sigilyph striking first. For four rounds, this sequence repeated itself, to the irritation of both trainers. Both Pokémon stood a bit wearier after each attack taken, neither seeming any hardier than the other. Boredom carved itself deeper into Rarity’s expression, and patience waned on the parts of Aengus and Will. In the fifth such round, Excadrill fainted, simply because Sigilyph moved first. However, it looked like it was not far behind her at all.

Aengus called out, “Go, Rapidash!”

Rarity smiled as she saw her intended beau materialise. He looked back at her, but was not nearly as upset as he was when he saw her against Surge. A hint of pink crept into Rarity’s cheek and she uttered an almost inaudible squee as Rapidash said to her, “Hey you.”

Will ordered, “Sigilyph, use Air Slash!”

Aengus countered, “Use Poison Jab, Rapidash!”

Rapidash ran forward as a dense purple fog enveloped his horn. Before Sigilyph registered his approach, Rapidash was upon it and stabbing away with the purple glow. Sigilyph dropped to the floor, departing back to its Pokéball. Returning to his position, Rapidash caught Rarity looking right at him. She risked a small smile. He looked away quickly, biting his lip with a small grin and some minor blushing of his own. As he faced forward, Rarity’s face broke into the widest smile she had shown or shone in donkey’s years, to borrow a phrase from Aengus.

Will threw his next ball. “Slowbro, let’s do this!”

Coming from the ball was not a Slowbro. Rarity’s face scrunched with wide eyes, unable to break her gaze but partially turning her head anyway. It appeared human-like, wearing the world’s worst red mumu, tight only around its unshapely bust where yellow fully framed each “breast.” This thing had a purple face and hands, no neck whatsoever, and white sleeves. Both elbows were exaggerated, as if they had two instances of bursitis apiece, both of which had been rotated a quarter turn in opposite directions. Lipstick had been applied with a caulk gun. And how that long blonde hair fell could not look flattering on anyone, anypony, or anymon.

Aengus raised an eyebrow. “Looks like you threw the wrong ball, chum!”

Will looked over the balls on his belt, muttering, “How did I get these out of order? I don’t think I’ve ever done this before....”

“Please tell me this is a Pokémon,” Rarity said, shaking her head with a curled lip. “Does...this one’s appearance seem off to you two? Seriously, darling, whether a Pokémon or not, you need to work on that look! Right now, the outfit and presentation makes me think of...of a...come on, Rarity, use a word that shows proper etiquette....”

“Just say it! She look like a ho!” Devontae yelled from above, preferring colloquial grammar over correct.

Rarity turned toward the spectator seats with a wide-eyed, open mouth expression. She scolded, “Devontae! You should be ashamed of yourself for being so uncouth! The least you could say is something more polite, like ‘call girl,’ or ‘streetwalker!’”

“Well, she look like a ho! Why sugarcoat it?” Devontae asked, holding both his palms facing upward.

Rarity bit down on a budding comment, and turned back toward the match. Will was shaking his head irritably. He said, “Well, since you’re here, Jynx, use Perish Song!”

“Flare Blitz!” Aengus yelled.

Rapidash coated himself in fire as he took off. Jynx had poised herself to sing to a crowd, lifting an arm. Rapidash did not care and trampled her without a second thought. Jynx returned to her ball in the usual way, to which Rarity breathed easier. Rapidash nodded at her with a shrug as he retook his position.

“Let’s try this again!” Will yelled as he randomly grabbed one of the three balls he had left. And it still was not Slowbro. This time it was a semi-anthropomorphic upside-down squid, with purple tentacles for hair, a rosy-pink beak, and its two large tentacles now serving as hands and arms. Rolling his eyes, he muttered, “Fine. Malamar it is.”

A knowing smile took over Aengus’s face. With a slightly sinister glint in his eye, he commanded, “Rapidash...Megahorn this thing.”

Will shouted, “Malamar, use Superpower!”

Rapidash again lowered his horn and ran at his opponent, this time sans purple mist. Malamar had tightened up to start wailing on Rapidash, but the horn connected. Rapidash had already turned to stand at his post as Malamar sailed into the back of the room, turning into the yellow sparks there. While he did not look at Rarity this time, Rapidash stood a bit taller than usual, chest puffed out, and a look of confidence. Rarity quietly said, “Keep it going, honey.”

Redness came into Rapidash’s cheeks for a beat. Will threw another of the balls, saying, “Either way, I’ve got what I want now!”

Yet again, it was not Slowbro. There was a green-face bird that looked very much like a child’s toy. It had a long yellow bill that hooked only at the very end, and white wings with pink and black accents that it folded in front of itself instead of the usual on the back posture. It appeared to have a black bishop’s collar, but within its plumage. Something a bit like pink eyes sat embedded on its chest. Its actual eyes appeared slightly glazed over, and staring at something far, far away.

Aengus nodded with an annoyed smirk. “You and those Xatus. Just was a question of when, wasn’t it?”

“Naturally,” said Will with a triumphant smile. He then bellowed, “Xatu, use Shattered Psyche!”

Aengus rolled his eyes as his shoulders slumped. He muttered, “Sounds like another friggin’ Z-move. Why is it bloody everyone suddenly got them all at once? If these crystals have been around for so long, why is it only now people get it, and everyone at that? You’d think it’d take some time for those skills to disseminate, and for rings to be manufactured.”

Nervously Rarity murmured, “Hold on strong, honey....”

Aengus whispered to Rapidash, “Buddy, you’re gonna need a critical hit this time. Wild Charge. Go.”

Arcing electricity surrounded Rapidash as he sprinted, leaving a trail of static sparks in his wake. He slammed into Xatu, who rocked back and forth like a punch-me-clown, the whole time staring blindly into space, eyes unmoving, but righted itself. Rarity said, “A tad unsettling. What’s wrong with its eyes?”

“Xatu sees the future with his right eye, and the past with the left,” Will said smugly.

“But neither sees the present,” Rarity retorted as Will danced, though his movements were far more graceful than Surge’s.

Yellow light gathered around Xatu, which erupted into a tutti-frutti pastel mist that blocked out everything else. Rapidash was knocked skyward, smacking into a series of unseen obstacles like a pinball unable to escape the bumpers. Then he did seemingly get away, only to hit a wall that broke the mist away like a smashed window. Rapidash staggered. As he fell onto his side, he weakly said, “Win this one for me, dear....”

Rarity’s eyes hardened; all hints of being misty erased instantly at his words when he disappeared into his Pokéball. Rarity stepped forward, taking his place in front of Aengus. He raised an eyebrow. Overhead Devontae laughed in surprise and delight, exclaiming, “Ooh, this’s gonna be good!

“So, you want this one?” Aengus asked firmly.

Rarity didn’t even look back as she answered with the same fervor, “Yes.”

Aengus’s dark smile returned, as did his tone of voice. “Then, use Blizzard!”

Will’s face began to look concerned...maybe even worried. He said, “Confuse Ray, Xatu!”

Rarity’s horn was already charged. Will had barely gotten the last syllable out before the room was suddenly fill with wind and snow. When it cleared a few seconds later, all got but a brief glimpse of Xatu face down on the floor before it zipped back to its ball. Aengus smirked and said, “Let me guess...Slowbro?”

“But of course,” said Will as he deployed his last Pokémon. He sneered, “Is this what you were expecting!?”

“This is NOT a game of ‘Voltorb Flip!!’” Aengus snapped as Slowbro materialised, in all its pink “glory.”

Rarity shot Slowbro a puzzled look, especially at the shell seemingly munching on its tail. She looked at Aengus, then Will, and asked, “Is it slow physically, or mentally?”

“Both,” answered Aengus, Will, and Devontae in unison.

“I see,” quipped Rarity as she rolled her eyes.

Aengus ordered, “Rarity, use Shadow Ball!”

“Disable, Slowbro!” Will responded. He pushed aside his bangs, revealing a keystone set into his mask, situated over his sixth chakra. Giving it a push, Will stood up straight. He gestured at Slowbro in a gameshow host sort of way as the whirling light came. When the ball broke, Slowbro was now almost entirely engulfed by the shell.

Rarity charged her horn up and sighed. “My comment about ‘Mega Evolutions’ still stands.”

The dark orb fired from Rarity’s horn and caught Slowbro between the eyes, knocking it as close to flat on his back as one could be once engulfed in an oversized whelk shell. As he telekinetically raised himself back to an upright posture, Aengus said, “Did I argue against you? And take it easy. Good shot, yes, but there’s no need to look like you’re trying to kill something.”

“Even if she were, we Psychics don’t give up,” Will said. “That’s what makes us so formidable!”

Aengus frowned as a purple lightning pulse made a twitching spheroid around Rarity. Looking at Will, Aengus said, “Do you ever change what you say? Surely you must be getting tired of it by now.”

Will just shrugged. Rarity said, “Something feels...odd.”

“He just disabled you from using Shadow Ball for a few rounds,” said Aengus. “It’ll wear off in a moment.”

“I presume the new and larger shell augments his physical defenses substantially, but doesn’t do much for special defenses?” Rarity asked with a mischievous grin. Aengus responded with an impressed nod.

Clever girl...,” Will mused, rubbing at a non-existent beard.

“Energy Ball?” Rarity suggested.

“Yes indeed,” Aengus laughed.

Scowling, Will yelled, “Slowbro, use Surf!”

The blue aura around Rarity’s horn fed into a green ball, which took off at Slowbro. This one cleanly struck Slowbro’s centre of mass, knocking him down again. As he got up, water filled the room, running over Rarity with a three-metre swell. As the water cleared, she growled to herself, drenched to the bone. Her mane and tail both were flat as they could get, dragging along the floor. She looked at Aengus and asked, “One more?”

“That should do it,” Aengus said with a nod.

Will screamed, “We never give up! Slowbro, use Psychic, and make it count!”

“No chance!” Rarity yelled back. The ball at the tip of her horn was already complete, and thus she sent it on its way. The shot came in much faster this time, knocking Slowbro down yet again, but not before sending him over Will’s head. As he slid to a stop, his arms and tail went slack, and he disappeared back into his ball. Devontae cheered from the seats as Rarity dramatically pushed her wet mane out of her face with a flourish.

{Two away now.}

Will’s face and posture slumped, most notably at the shoulders. Shaking his head, he breathed, “I...I can’t...believe it....”

“Yes, that did just happen, sir,” Aengus said with a dark smile.

Something made the room a little brighter. Rarity looked around, eventually turning her eyes upward. With a small gasp, she said, “Luna??”

Aengus said, “I hope there’s an explanation that follows.”

“The moon just got brighter, and to me it looks clearer, maybe even perfect,” Rarity said with a smile.

Aengus and Will both looked up. Will uttered a simple, “Huh.”

“So it is,” said Aengus. He turned back to Rarity and asked, “Who’s Luna?”

Princess Luna is the Princess of the Night, and shares head-of-state duties with her sister, Princess Celestia,” said Rarity with some pride.

Will asked, “How many princesses do you have, where’s the king and queen if those two are head-of-state, and how does Princess Twilight stand in all of this?”

“I don’t think we’ve had a king or queen in our history at all, when I think about it. But princesses, there are five. Flurry’s an infant. Twilight’s the next strongest after her, then Cadance, then the royal sisters. Celestia is the stronger sister, but not by much. And before you ask, there are lesser princes, but the princesses are who’s in charge,” said Rarity.

Aengus raised an eyebrow. “So...the Kingdom of Equestria...is really just the Principality of Equestria?”

Rarity exhaled with an unladylike expression and flapping of her lips. She flatly said, “Whatever. Equestria’s home, and that’s what matters to me. Don’t we have a challenge to be getting on with?”

Will nodded. Speaking in goadingly knowing tones, he said, “You do. I won’t change my course, and I expect you won’t either. Go on. Continue squaring off with the might and ferocity of the Elite Four! Bruno’s waiting for you, Aengus....”

{Couldn’t leave that name well-enough alone, eh?.}

Aengus growled at the mention of that name, glowering at Will’s sneer. He hurriedly marched out of the room into the connecting hallway. Still in a snit he pulled out the necessary healing items and a few berries from his satchel, applying them to the appropriate balls without a word. Rarity quietly pondered how it was that this Bruno could be that good a trainer, that even with a focus around a specific type, he was Aengus’s stumbling block, the one hurdle he could never jump over. So much of his hopes rested on her little shoulders. And fulfilling those hopes was the ticket home that she had agreed to. They had to succeed.

Luna’s coming here did not bode well. Rarity knew the pain Luna experienced in Nightmare form. She knew that once she’s enraged, there was little chance of stopping her, even for Celestia. An enraged Luna could easily start and wage a war victoriously. Rarity knew she could win the day here so much faster if she had that kind of strength and drive. She truly wished she had Luna’s power, that she could blast through just about anything immediately, under the light of her perfect moon. But she was no alicorn; she was just Rarity. Luna could just take the moon and blast an opponent. Musing on this, Rarity considered what a Moonblast might look like, and kept it in mind for later, should the need arise.

Having finished healing his team, Aengus stood up. He handed Rarity a can of lemonade and said, “Here. This will help you feel better after being drenched.”

Rarity nodded and took a long draught. Her lips immediately puckered as she barely squeaked out, “Did they add more lemon and remove some sugar? My goodness, that’s sour....”

“Let the lemon do its job,” Aengus said as he slowly started down the hall. Rarity took another sip to the same reaction. He just snorted in response, and said, “We still have Koga before Bruno.”

Rarity added, “And Karen after that.”

“Precisely. That’s why I don’t want you in this next fight if it can be avoided,” said Aengus.

“Come again?”

Aengus sighed. He laid a hand on her head, and absentmindedly began scratching behind her ears again. He said, “Koga is the world’s finest Poison-type specialist. There are none above him. His tactics are at least as much psychological as they are physical. Since you’re effectively a Fairy-type, Koga’s about as dangerous to you as they come. That’s why I don’t want you in the fight.”

“Ah. I see,” said Rarity, not even trying to mask her disappointment.

“It’s to keep you in tip-top shape for Bruno and Karen,” Aengus said. “Both of them are weak against Fairy-type moves, and...wait, did you really just learn another move?”

“I think so?” Rarity offered sheepishly.

He rolled his eyes with a slight grin. “You amaze me, Rarity. I’ll be sad when you have to head home.”

Rarity smiled with a coy shift of her posture away from him, but still meeting his gaze. She said, “We’ll worry about that when we get there. Let’s take care of Koga.”

“Aye, let’s,” said Aengus as he pushed open the door to the next room.

Author's Note:

I think I read somewhere that Will is an ex-member of Team Rocket. :rainbowhuh: Either way, he's done for now. Had to edit this again after m' wife informed me that tweed is simply a way of weaving a fiber into fabric, not a different material. :derpyderp2: Heh. Whoops.

Sorry if there's more spelling/formatting issues; had to pick up an extra day at work this week, and I have not had anywhere near enough sleep. :ajsleepy:

Things are at least looking up for Rarity, well, at least in the boyfriend department. Sure seems like he made a quick attitude adjustment while in the ball. Wonder how he changed his mind so quickly.

Secondary classic rock reference is from Bill Haley & His Comets...or, if you'd rather the original version, Big Joe Turner. Just keep in mind, Big Joe's version is NOT safe for work, not from profanity, but...Google his lyrics if you really wanna know. Glad we have this worked out. :applejackconfused:

The master of many poisons is next. Is Rarity gonna be involved? Can Rapidash and Rarity get some time to themselves? And why is Aengus acting dark again? Be here and be...something. I dunno.

Thanks for reading. :twilightsmile:

PreviousChapters Next