• Published 3rd Aug 2016
  • 24,051 Views, 586 Comments

Bitter Tears: An Anon-A-Miss Fanfic - hattafan2593



Sunset is still understandably hurt by her friends' actions after the Anon-A-Miss incident. Will things ever be alright between them again?

  • ...
26
 586
 24,051

Ch 12 - Pain

When Sunset came to, the entire room had begun to spin. She closed her eyes, feeling nauseous.

She then realized there was a warm pressure on her stomach. She opened her eyes - slowly - and saw a familiar green and purple dog staring at her with large concerned eyes.

"Hi." Spike said, smiling gently.

"....Hi." Sunset replied, her mouth feeling like it was full of cotton. She tried to pet Spike, but it was hard to do with thick gauze wrapped around her palms, so she settled with gently patting him on the back.

"How are you feeling?" asked a voice on her left. She didn't need to turn around to see who it was.

"Could be better." Sunset said thickly. She turned to her right deciding to gaze out the window. "What are you doing here?"

"Flash wrote me. He said something about how he had 'effed up'" Sunset imagined Twilight making quotation marks "and that you were in trouble."

Sunset gave a small snort of laughter. That was certainly one way of putting it.

"Of course, I was thinking about coming anyway." Twilight said, her voice becoming more serious. "If for no other reason, then to see if you weren't dead."

Sunset sighed, knowing where this was going. "I've been busy."

"So have I. But I still made time. Actually, I take that back. You did write me that one note." Sunset heard the sound of Twilight digging through random objects, and then pages turning. Twilight cleared her throat as she read the passage aloud:

The real Anon-A-Miss has been found. My friends know it wasn't me. Everything's fine.

Sunset flinched as she heard the book snap shut. She could feel Twilight's glare on the back of her bandaged head. "That's it? No details? No names? Did you really think I wouldn't get suspicious?" Silence. "Sunset, would you look at me?"

Sunset squeezed her eyes shut. "Twilight, can we please just drop this?"

"No." Sunset felt a hand grip her cheek and her head was forcibly turned around. Twilight Sparkle glared at her, unshed tears shining in her angry and hurt eyes. "You don't get to do this. You don't get to just...ignore me, and shut me out for two months, making me think you were hurt or dead, and then when I show up and find you bleeding from self-inflicted wounds, you lie to my face and try to tell me everything's ok. You don't get to do that." Twilight's voice began to shake with emotion. "Because it's not ok. You're not ok. And you know it!"

Sunset's lips trembled as she struggled not to cry. "I'm sorry I was such a burden to you...."

Twilight sighed, releasing Sunset's face, then slumped back in her chair, her hand covering her face. "That's not what I meant....."

A single tear slid down Sunset's cheek. Spike reached out his paw and wiped it away. Sunset gently grasped the paw in her hand and gave a shaky smile.

"Sunset....why didn't you tell me all this was going on?" Twilight asked wearily.

Sunset went back to patting Spike absentmindedly. "You would've tried to fix it. You can't fix this."

"I could've listened." Twilight said softly. "I could've been a sympathetic ear. You wouldn't have had to carry this around all this time."

Sunset said nothing.

"Of course, maybe I could've fixed it." Twilight said, running her hand through her hair. "If I'd figured it out-"

"Twilight." Spike stated. "This isn't. Your fault."

Sunset furrowed her brow, confused. Spike told her about the Gabby Gums incident back in Equestria. Sunset just shrugged and slumped back against the bed. "He's right. This isn't your fault. And it wouldn't have mattered; they wouldn't have believed me if I told them, anyway."

Twilight tried to protest, but fell silent, knowing she was right.

"It never changes." Sunset said, her voice shaking. "No matter what I do, it's never enough. Nobody cares...."

"I care." Twilight stressed, grasping Sunset's hand, mindful of the bandages. "It's enough for me. You know that, right?"

Sunset didn't answer. Slowly, she withdrew her hand and turned her head back to the window.

Twilight's shoulders slumped, and she bowed her head in despair. She stood up and stuffed her journal back into her backpack, and Spike, after one long sad look at Sunset, jumped of the bed and climbed into her backpack.

As Twilight's hand wrapped around the doorknob, she tried one last time. "I spoke with Celestia after the Fall Formal. I told her what happened. In Equestria, your punishment for your actions has been officially written as exile, until she sees you fit to return."

Sunset said nothing, but Twilight knew she had gotten her attention.

"Sunset, as far as Celestia, Equestria, and myself are concerned, your sentence has been served. You can return to Equestria anytime you wish. You will be welcomed with open arms."

Silence. And then, softly, ".....I'll think about it."

Knowing there was nothing left to say or do, Twilight open the door, and walked out.

Author's Note:

Sigh....okay.

As you've probably figured out, Sunset has issues. Issues that aren't going to be fixed with a hug and some kind words. Looking at you, "Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep?"!

More to come.