• Published 19th Jul 2016
  • 257 Views, 1 Comments

Tender Flutter Care (TFC) - TheCoercedPenwrite



It's feeding time once again, and Fluttershy is hard at work. A troublesome hare gets involved somehow, and memories are made.

  • ...
 1
 257

Just a loving touch

In a single moment, the sun had dipped down over Equestria to paint its horizon a brilliant fiery red, before sinking beyond into an all consuming night. It was an activity that would surely have captivated the hearts of more than a few ponies, both sensitive and stalwart. But for the owner of one particular, well built cottage, set far off on the outskirts of Ponyville, the event went unnoticed regardless of its brilliance. Fluttershy was hard at work again.

The yellow pegasus in question hummed merrily to herself as she swept around the room, each stop ushering in a check on one of its animal occupants. For the third time today, she casually mentioned in the back of her head, but that was something she never quite minded. After all, despite what was sometimes backbreaking work, sometimes a terrifying ordeal, and sometimes even dangerous (she’d no doubt built up an immunity to snake venom, and wasn’t sure it was a good thing), it was all somehow worth it, just knowing that she had done as much as she possibly could to help. Even if that meant a little sacrificing sometimes. Just fine with her.

And rather her than someone else, or her animal friends. But she fixed her concentration elsewhere as she dipped low to the ground, not wanting to focus on the thought anymore. This was the feeding hour, and if she wanted to make this very time sensitive subject, she had to focus. Or at least be less melodramatic. Her feet hit the floor, followed by the much more heavy thumps of the bags she was carrying. Something stirred in the enlarged makeshift mousehole house that was in front of her.

“Oh, Mr. Beuller…” Fluttershy hit a sing-song tone, even as she reached for one of the bags. When she got the bag closer, she poured the food out onto a tiny white plate on the floor, for what would be the enthusiastic young ferret’s dinner. Power Pellets, as she liked to call them —or really just high powered supplements— were meant to simulate most growing young predators needs, without resorting to...

Predation. The thought made her shudder, even though she knew it was a fact of life, and as unchangeable as time. It was something she just couldn’t help, that even the slightest thought of harming an animal beyond anything more than a shot hurt her immeasurably. Like sawing off a limb, or something as equally as horrifying and wrong. Just, wrong. She was their protector, their…

A distinct black and white furry blur caught her off-guard, having one minute been on the floor, and the next, somehow having climbed the pink locks of her mane to sit on her back, where it whuffed affectionately in her ear. She put her hoof to her mouth, and held back a chuckle, trying to speak despite the tickling sensation.

“Oh, excuse me, Mr. Beuller. But I don’t think i’m your food.” She failed and chuckled despite herself anyways as the ferret finally finished its greeting, tensing only for a moment before jumping back down to the floor again. As it did, it was sure to keep its neatly bandaged tail off of the ground as it headed back down for its meal; Fluttershy noticed.

This particular ferret had been injured, the victim of simple carelessness. A pony perhaps too focused on one particular activity or another had accidently stepped backwards, and trampled the poor thing’s tail underhoof. When she had found it, it had been curled up in a ball nursing the broken instrument, and squeaking pitifully.

Fluttershy’s heart had sank that day, and she had made it her mission to do all that she could to see him brought back to a state of perfect health, no matter the cost. Though in the end, it hadn’t taken anything extensive from her, save hard work, devotion and dedication. And, Fluttershy had realized, just a little love. The ferret’s previously shattered tail had healed back to near perfect condition in a matter of weeks, and very soon he’d be free to go back to the wild, or join his family, Provided he had one, anyways. Fluttershy hadn’t thought to ask, and mentally chastised herself for not doing so. It’d be the first thing on her list tomorrow.

“I’ll just assume that that’s good for now.” Fluttershy gave the ferret a soft, satisfied smirk, even as she stepped back to avoid the food that was flying from the bowl.

And speaking of animal friends…

Fluttershy hummed a new tune as she picked up the bags and made her way to the two birds, Mr. and Mrs. Hart. The twin doves chirped happily as she poured birdseed in their bowl, overjoyed to get something to eat. Shortly after, she headed over to the fish, Doris and Timothy, who floated to the surface, having learnt by now Fluttershy always meant the tastiest of treats. And then turtle, Harrison, who took several minutes all by himself in order to leave his house, and ate at a snails’ pace, but still smiled cheerfully at her presence.

And then came the mice. And the barn cat. And the garden snake, and…

Time seemed to fly by as Fluttershy’s thoughts faded away into all of the work that was being done, enough so that it didn’t take long until she stopped altogether, and found herself settling to the floor. She was done cleaning. The room was filled with the sound of the music of a job well done, which, to Fluttershy, meant mostly chewing, and other general animal sounds of content.

A rapid thumping on the kitchen table caught her attention, seeming to drum in tune to that particular thought. Angel. She floated off to the kitchen at a hurried pace, knowing what she knew; that Angel was most undoubtedly hungry, and that he could be no small amount of incorrigible when he was. Though over the past few months she’d learn to put a leash on at least some of his attitude, and put her hoof down even through the worst of it, she still hadn’t quite managed to handle the problem entirely. And secretly wondered if she would ever truly find a way to cure the bunny’s bad temper. But now wasn’t the time for doubt. As she got to the table, she shot a stern expression downwards towards the tiny figure, who glared back up at her. Now was not the time for softness, either.

Angel’s glare sunk into her with all of the subtle grace and charm that a dagger possessed, impatience and annoyance for having to wait so long to eat clear on his face. Most ponies would have slunk away after seeing his demeaning stare; so too would Fluttershy, just a few months ago. Now, however, was a different story. Her own stare held firm. “I’m sorry, Angel, but if you want food, I’m going to have to ask you to get down from the table, and stop making so much noise. You’re disrupting the other animals private time.”

The rabbit’s look flattened intensely in response, clearly irritated by being told what to do. Fluttershy had predicted that, and her face went right along with it, not giving an inch in this battle. Not this time. “We’ve talked about this. If you want food, you’re going to have stop causing a ruckus.” She stopped herself, sure she was missing something. “...Oh yeah. “And get down from the table so you can eat. Please.”

Angel sighed, and stared back into Fluttershy’s unyielding eyes with his own. The tensest of staring matches had drawn up between them once again, and with it a pause audible enough that the other animals stopped eating, catching the sounds. Leaving their bowls, they peered into the kitchen to watch.

Fluttershy versus Angel was always great, no matter who won. For a solid minute and a half, neither of them bent, imaginary sparks grinding off them to shoot onto the floor below. Various expressions of different shades of disappointment and testiness flashed between them. They each struggled over who would win this by now legendary battle of wills.

But eventually it was Angel that gave, in with a sigh that Fluttershy had previously never thought possible on a rabbit. He leaped off of the table, and all of the animals quickly dipped their heads from back around the door and went back to eating. The show was over now, with the scores tallied up; Fluttershy three this week, and Angel none. A few of them bit back their snickers; Angel was losing his touch. And having had to deal with his temper themselves on several occasions, it was about time.

“Oh, Angel…” Fluttershy noticed his pouting, despite the special food she’d prepared for him. A special three tiered salad, stacked with carrots, lettuce, and tomatoes, among other things, which happened to be his favorite treat. She dropped low, to his level. “Oh, I’m sorry about that, Angel. But I really can’t have you disrupting the other animals. All of you live here together, so you all have to get along together, in order to keep this place… together.” She shot the still pouting rabbit a small smile. “Tell you what…”

Angel lifted a single ear in attention.

“Just this once…” Fluttershy reached around one wing behind her back, making a great show of fiddling around as if she was looking for something. But in one moment, she pulled back suddenly, unveiling the reddest, brightest of cherries. It looked as if it had been freshly picked seconds ago. Angel’s eyes lit up, as she placed in on top of the salad. “Cherry on top.”

The force with which Angel tackle hugged her was almost enough to make her roll over, even with his relative lack of weight. She braced herself to keep upright, then returned it, holding the small rabbit as tight as she could. A series of enthusiastic squeaks caught her attention, and she could only smile brightly. “Oh, Angel, I love you, too. Now…” She paused, to cut back a massive yawn. “If you’re good for the rest of the night, you can join the rest of our friends for a bedtime story. It’s…” She yawned again, louder this time. Angel looked to the rest of the animals, who were now once again staring off into the kitchen, knowing exactly what that meant. “Beauty and the…the…”

Fluttershy was out like a light in seconds, slumping comfortably to the floor in a dead sleep. Just like she always did at this time. Angel gave another soft, uncharacteristically rabbit like eye roll and snapped into order to help her, just like he always did at this time. Directing all of the animals, or at least the ones that could carry her, Fluttershy was gently picked up, and carried up the stairs. Angel’s attitude had turned from aggressor to guardian, and he was quick to snap at anyone who so much let a wing or limb drift too close to anything solid, until they had finally made it to her bedroom. There, she was tucked in, a group of two twin birds working to pull the covers over her, a black and white ferret with a bandaged tail fluffing her pillows for her, and various other animals doing various other tasks to ensure she was comfortably placed. When everything was finished, they all just as quickly departed, returning to their various activities. All except Angel.

With a single leap, Angel short hopped to the mattress of the bed. With another, he was over on the headboard, his favorite resting spot. Pulling both arms and legs together, he gave the softest squeak of content, before he fell asleep himself, silently watching over Fluttershy.

Comments ( 1 )

Not sure why Fluttershy would balk at predation, after all, she HAS to feed a bear somehow, and there was an episode where she fed worms to birds and fish to some otters.

Login or register to comment