• Published 2nd May 2016
  • 25,946 Views, 2,093 Comments

Changeling Space Program - Kris Overstreet



The space race is on, and Chrysalis is determined to win it. With an earth pony test pilot and a hive full of brave-but-dim changelings, can she be the first pony on the moon? Inspired by Kerbal Space Program.

  • ...
20
 2,093
 25,946

PreviousChapters Next
Interlude: What Might Not Have Been (or, Do Astromares Dream of Rocket-Propelled Penguins?)

Cherry Berry stepped into the Horseton Space Center administration building’s makeshift throne room. Queen Chrysalis sat slumped on her little throne, bags under her eyes, mane in an even worse state than its normal lanky, greasy condition. “I was about to say good morning,” she said cautiously.

Chrysalis groaned.

“Seriously, what happened to you?” the pink pilot pony asked. “I mean, you’re no prize on a good day, but you look like your pillow mugged you.”

“You could say that, pony,” Chrysalis grumbled. “I had a terrible dream last night. I woke up screaming and couldn’t get back to sleep.”

“A bad dream? What happened?”

“ I conquered the world.”

Cherry Berry blinked. “And that gave you a nightmare?” she asked. “I think you’ve got things backwards. That’s supposed to give me a nightmare.”

“Laugh it up, pony,” Chrysalis grumbled, shifting her position on the throne slightly.

“No, really,” Cherry Berry continued, “after a dream in which you conquer Equestria, you ought to be smug and insufferable.”

“Keep talking, pony,” Chrysalis replied, “it’s all going on the list.”

“Will you cut it out? You know what I mean!” Cherry Berry walked up to the throne. “We’ve got a briefing on Marked Knee’s project and the upcoming missions in half an hour. You’re obviously in no condition for it. Will you at least tell me what was wrong with your dream?”

Chrysalis sighed, looked around listlessly, then focused her attention on Cherry Berry. “This never leaves this room, do you understand? I tell you once, and you forget it. This conversation never happened. Agreed?”

“Um…. sure,” Cherry Berry said, shrugging it off. “I can keep a secret.” She leaned forward and waggled her eyebrows. “Is this about you getting Shining Armor off to some hotel where Cadance can’t find you and-”

“What? NO!!” Chrysalis looked disgusted. “Leaving aside the fact that Shining Armor is a meathead with one trick- almost literally- I’d rather go to a cake buffet with Celestia than put up with one more discussion about whether Batmare could beat up Iron Mare.” She shuddered at the memory of what she’d put up with during the weeks she’d spent replacing Cadance. “Are you going to listen or not?”

Cherry Berry plunked her rump down on the floor. “I’m listening.”

“Well, like I said, somehow I conquered the world,” Chrysalis said. “For about a day. Then some heroes showed up and, well, it was awful. But that wasn’t the worst part!” Chrysalis’s exhaustion vanished in a wave of exasperation and frustration and about a half-dozen other ations. “The worst part was, there was no way- no way at all, do you understand?- There was no way the plan should have worked in the first place!!”

“Why not?”

“Well, first thing I did, I had my changelings replace all the princesses,” Chrysalis said. “All four of them, plus Shining Armor and the diapered engine of destruction they call a baby. And all of Twilight Sparkle’s hero friends as well. And I think maybe all the Wonderbolts, too- I’m not sure about that part.” Chrysalis paused to consider. “In most of my plans I have them filed in with the Royal Guard under ‘incompetent buffoons, not worth bothering about.’”

“Sounds good so far,” Cherry Berry agreed. “Good for you, that is. Not so good for me. Especially since Twilight’s friends are my friends too. How’d you do it?”

“That’s just it!” Chrysalis threw her forehooves in the air. “I don’t KNOW how I did it! It just happened somehow. It’s like some scriptwriter just said, ‘What with one thing and another, a bunch of ordinary changeling drones replace the mighty alicorns who control the sun, the moon, love and friendship, their friends and their family, all in a single night, and nopony NOTICES!’” Chrysalis tugged at her mane as if she would rip it out at the roots, shouting, “If it were that easy, don’t you think I would have DONE it by now?!”

“Probably,” Cherry Berry admitted. “But explain it to me. Why haven’t you?”

“I was only able to go hoof-to-hoof with Celestia because I’d absorbed a megadose of pure, blind love,” Chrysalis replied. “Me, the queen, mightiest of the changelings, right? How many changelings would it take to do the same thing?”

Cherry Berry considered this. “Um, one, with a baseball bat?” she said.

“Come again?”

“Knock ‘em out when they’re not expecting it, then pod ‘em when they’re unconscious,” Cherry Berry said. “It’s pretty much what we always thought you did. Or maybe bite ‘em and put ‘em to sleep with your venom. I know you can do that. First-hoof.” She rubbed her neck in memory.

“Oh, sure, it sounds simple,” Chrysalis admitted. “But things that sound simple usually aren’t, take it from someone with experience. Consider what happens if someone hears a noise. Or someone comes visiting while you’re disposing of the victim. There are all sorts of opportunities for an alarm to go up, not least of which some pony realizing just how bad an actor some of my changelings can be.”

“Ooooooookay,” Cherry Berry shrugged, not really getting the point. “So things can go wrong. But they can go right, too, yes?”

“Yes, they can go right,” Chrysalis said. “I could probably take out three of the Elements of Harmony in one night with no trouble. Rarity, Applejack and Rainbow Dash, if you want names. But Pinkie Pie has no consistent habits to speak of, Twilight Sparkle is the magic equivalent of standing right next to one of our rockets when it lights, and Fluttershy has about ten thousand little critters to send up an alarm at the slightest hint of trouble.” Chrysalis looked firmly at Cherry Berry and said, “And each pony I add to the list in a single night raises the odds that something WILL go wrong. You understand where I’m going with this?”

“Okay, fine,” Cherry Berry shrugged. “But you admit it IS possible, just possible, that everything could go perfectly right?”

“NO!” Chrysalis snapped, rising from her throne and pacing around the room, and around Cherry, as she ranted. “Three teams of changelings, unsupervised- did I mention I apparently wasn’t any part of the capture plan whatever? Because apparently I had better things to do, like paint my hooves or rub fresh algae in my hair, than, you know, make sure a plan actually WORKED!” Pace, pace, pace. “Three teams of unsupervised changelings, in three different cities, capturing and subduing a minimum of… of…” Chrysalis’s lips moved noiselessly for a few seconds. “Eleven ponies! One of whom, by the way, spends her nights patrolling pony dreams or watching over the kingdom for threats like me! And that’s not counting the baby dragon with the spell that lets him send letters to Celestia instantly! So surprise? Ha! Forget surprise! No, absolutely impossible!”

“Okay, so let’s just say, for the sake-”

“Do you know, in one part of the dream I actually saw Luna in a pony’s dreams, warning her?” Chrysalis asked, not bothering to face Cherry Berry. “And apparently a bunch of my changelings reached into the dream and dragged her out! They can’t DO that!! No changeling alive that I know of has dream magic, not even me!” Chrysalis rolled her eyes. “Believe me, the use I could make of being able to sneak into pony dreams and learn their fears, their desires, where they keep the silverware…”

“But in the dream you did it,” Cherry Berry said. “So what next?”

“You’re not going to believe this,” Chrysalis said. “Apparently my next step in my master plan was… nothing!

“Nothing?”

“My changelings replaced all the ponies I’d ordered kidnapped, then used a scrying scarabeus- it works a lot like the telepresence spell, that part of the dream was real enough- to tell me, ‘Look at us, queen, we’ve replaced the heroes, as you must know because you’ve got them in pods in your throne room, and now we’re just hanging out.’ Lounging in those crystal thrones Twilight and her friends have. And there I was chortling, saying things like ‘nothing can stop us now’ or some such drivel, rather than, you know, actually DOING something with my newfound advantage!”

“Well, you do tend to crow a bit when-”

“Did I mention my drones tend to be really horrible actors?” Chrysalis continued. “Granted it’s tough to get down all the little personality quirks of a subject without a memory spell on the pod you’ve got them in, but these drones were really, really bad. As in, even one of you ponies could figure out something was wrong within thirty words of conversation.”

“Gee,” Cherry Berry said flatly, “thanks for the compliment.”

“So Starlight Glimmer- that Twilight Sparkle’s student she picked up last year, right? Heads the research department at Cape Friendship? Anyway, she spots something’s not right, sees my drones and myself gloating over the scarab call, and goes and rounds up the usual band of misfits to thwart my evil schemes.” Chrysalis rolled her eyes, still pacing, still ranting. “As if my dream were some bad Lord of the Shoes knock-off.”

She hesitated in her pacing a moment. “And that reminds me,” she said. “I mentioned that somehow, impossibly, I’d captured all the princesses and their heroes, right? So anypony powerful enough to undo my scheme is out of circulation, right?”

“Well, I guess-”

“WRONG!” The pacing resumed. “There’s somepony left out, somepony with the ability to stop the whole operation with the snap of a claw. Who do you think? Come on, guess, you’ll never guess.”

“Maybe-”

“DISCORD!” Chrysalis shouted. “My brilliant yet impossible plan left out the single most powerful being at large in all Equestria! And oh, look, I’ve only gone and kidnapped his bestest pony friend in the universe, the only thing between him and rendering the face of Equus unfit for life!” She shrugged, not pausing in her steady stomping circuit around her throne as she said in a slightly calmer voice, “I admit it’s kind of hard to send changelings to subdue someone who only appears in Equestria when he feels like it. If Discord doesn’t want to be found, you just don’t find him. But knowing he’s out there, knowing he’s going to be furious at touching his precious Fluttershy, what do I do about him? NOTHING!!”

After several silent stomping steps made it clear Cherry Berry could get more than two words out, she said, “But in the dream you didn’t think he could touch you, right?”

“Oh yes,” Chrysalis agreed, chuckling most bitterly. “Oh, I had a reason. Because I had a special magic throne in my changeling castle, that’s why.”

Cherry Berry blinked. “Um… you don’t have a changeling castle. You’ve got a hive carved out of a hole in the ground under a mesa.”

“I KNOW!!!” Chrysalis bellowed. “But in my dream I had this huge, beautiful castle, all full of holes and pointy spires and moving stairs and walls that open and shut for no good reason!” She paused in her march of doom around the decidedly non-magical throne in her space center office to heave a deep sigh. “It really was a beautiful thing. You’d hate it. But against an angry sun pony it’d last about three seconds before going up in flames.”

“And this wasn’t a problem in the dream?” Cherry asked.

“Nope! And you want to know why?” The pacing resumed yet again. “Because of that magic throne I mentioned! Apparently I had this huge throne made of jagged rock. But it was a magic rock, see? It was a rock that nullified all magic of any kind- except changeling magic.

“That sounds convenient,” Cherry Berry hazarded.

“I know, right?” Chrysalis agreed sarcastically. “By Tartarus, if I only had such a throne! Never mind the throne- I’d just like the stone it was made out of! Imagine thousands and thousands of little black amulets, and all the unicorn spells, all the pegasus weather tricks, all the earth pony strength in the world couldn’t touch you. That’s how I’d use an anti-magic rock! Not by carving a stupid CHAIR out of it!” After a breath she added, “It wasn’t even a very good chair.”

“So, how did it work, then?”

“The dream didn’t explain it,” Chrysalis said. “It just worked. All the time. I rather got the impression that the throne was the thing that caused the Badlands in the first place. Lush green woods and fields right up to the edge of the rock’s effect, then bango, desert and mountains and canyons. And there they were, the band of misfits- Starlight Glimmer, that stage magician who had the special on Channel Five a couple weeks ago-”

“Trixie?” Cherry Berry frowned at that. “I can’t really imagine her as a hero. I remember when she conquered Ponyville with a magical amulet. More villain material if you ask me.”

Band of misfits, pony, don’t you read the right lousy books these days?” Chrysalis grumbled. “Her, Starlight Glimmer, Discord because of course Discord, and of all people Thorax.”

“Wait a minute,” Cherry Berry said. “That sounds like a changeling name, but I’ve been around your hive for nearly a year now, and I don’t remember ever hearing of Thorax.”

“You wouldn’t,” Chrysalis growled. “I forbade his name to be spoken in the hive, or here in the space center. He deserted the hive after the failed invasion of Canterlot. Said there had to be a better way of getting love other than stealing it.”

“Well, there is,” Cherry Berry said. “This space project, for a start. The changeling actors you’re funding in Manehattan. My odd jobs business.”

Chrysalis froze in place and made some very interesting faces, which appeared to Cherry like someone shouting dire, foul imprecations without any actual noise. Finally words came: “... yeeees,” Chrysalis ground out, “but that wasn’t the plan at the time Thorax betrayed me.” The queen resumed her march around the throne and around Cherry again as she added, “The last I heard, he was living in the Crystal Empire, getting full of love from the Princess of Food herself.” Under her breath, she added, “Well, at least it wasn’t Kevin.”

“Who’s Kevin?” Cherry Berry asked.

Instantly the glowing green eyes and slitted pupils of Chrysalis’s most baleful gaze filled Cherry Berry’s entire range of vision. “YOU ARE FORBIDDEN FROM SPEAKING THAT NAME AGAIN IN MY REALM!!” she shouted. “UNDERSTOOD??

“Y-yes ma’am!” Cherry Berry said instantly, flopping onto her back in shock.

Satisfied, Chrysalis returned to her pacing and ranting, leaving Cherry Berry to pick herself back up. “So what with one thing and another they infiltrate the castle. Discord and Trixie being powerless, of course they get picked off by patrols. Thorax tries to fool me into thinking he’s Starlight Glimmer, but I see through his magic and remove his disguise.”

“You can do that?”

“Of course,” Chrysalis said. “I can sense my own kind, no matter what disguise they wear. But the funny thing is, Thorax’s wings were whole. No holes in them. And more important, they glittered. They looked like someone dumped a bottle of glitter paint all over them. I’ve never seen anything like it in real life.”

“Was that important?” Cherry asked.

“Oh, yes it was,” Chrysalis grumbled. “Quite important, as it turned out. Anyway, there was Starlight Glimmer, trying to break the throne by banging a rock against it with her hooves! I mean really!” Chrysalis threw up a hoof without breaking stride. “I know she was without her magic and all, but honestly, it was like the dream was trying to make her as pitiful as possible! Like the dream felt like it hadn’t driven home just how hopeless everything was for the forces of good!


“So of course I grab her, pull her out of harm’s way, and then to taunt her I decide to drain Thorax of all his stored love energy. Routine thing, no big deal right? Well, no,” Chrysalis grumbles. “He resists, naturally, and he actually puts up a decent fight for a drone. But it’s only a matter of time, right?” The pacing became stomping again, as hard as Chrysalis could put hoof to tile floor. “Well, that Starlight Glimmer tells him to quit resisting and to release his love energy into the rest of the hive. As if that would do anything! Ha ha! Well you know what- it did!!

Tiles cracked under Chrysalis’s hooves as she continued, “Somehow or other freely giving away love made Thorax transform into this hideous pastel thing with mandibles for antlers and I don’t know what else. And then all my other changelings shared their stored love energy, and they all transformed too! And for some reason, my dream didn’t feel like explaining, this blew the roof off my changeling castle and made that convenient magic throne crumble into harmless rubble! No more magic nullification!”

Chrysalis’s voice rose to a piercing shriek. “And changeling magic simply DOES! NOT! WORK! THAT! WAY!” The bags that had been under her eyes were gone, stretched taut by the wide-eyed glare she gave the world as she raved. “What, were changelings supposed to go for years without food or something? Infiltrators go out, steal love, bring it back to the hive, and I take it and give it out to the others! If changeling magic looked like that, I wouldn’t have these holes in my hooves, and my shell would look like I crawled out of the paint factory rubbish bin!

“And then the one part of the dream so stupid, so asinine, so dumb that it’s actually believable, is that the ponies LET ME GO,” she said. “Oh look, we have a new changeling king, whatever that is, but you can become good too, Chrysalis. Oh, don’t feel like it? Just threatened revenge? Go ahead, fly away. It’s not like we have four alicorn princesses! It’s not like we have the lord of Chaos who could turn me into a breezie with a snap of his fingers! It’s not like we have six ponies with super-harmony magic who could shoot me down with a happy zappy rainbow friendship beam from a mile away! No, just let her go, we’ll just keep all her traitorous rebel changelings to live happily ever after in HER BUCKING CASTLE! THAT SHE DOESN’T ACTUALLY HAVE!!

“My queen,” Occupant said quietly, “I’d never betray you, honest.”

Chrysalis froze in mid-stomp. Slowly, slowly, she turned her attention to the door, where the drone who acted as flight leader for missions and overall manager of the space center stood with a most sheepish expression. “What,” she hissed in quiet tones of imminent menace, “are you doing in here?”

“Er,” Occupant muttered, shifting uncomfortably on his hooves, “I kind of, um, was bringing Princess Luna to see you. She wants to talk about our moon fly-by mission.”

Chrysalis’s expression departed the Land of Rage, galloped swiftly through the Valley of Surprise, and rented deluxe lodgings in the charming burg of Terrified. She noticed for the first time the larger dark figure standing behind the small dark figure of her loyal bucktoothed servant. With a squeak she said, “How long has she been here?”

“Oh,” Occupant said thoughtfully, “since that part where Miss Berry mentioned the baseball bat.”

Chrysalis looked up at Princess Luna’s carefully blank expression, then down at Occupant, then back at the princess of the night. Then, with an ear-splitting shriek of unalloyed fright, she blasted a hole through the throne room wall with her magic and soared away as fast as her wings and her fear could carry her.

“Perhaps,” Luna said dryly, “we should reschedule?”

“Probably a good idea,” Cherry Berry admitted, rising from the floor so she could bow properly. She paused in mid-bow and looked at Occupant. “Hey, what happened to your wings?” she asked. “They’re kind of sparkly in this light, you know?”

“Oh, you noticed?” Occupant said. “It’s happening to several of the other changelings in the space center. We don’t know what’s causing it, but it doesn’t seem to hurt.”

Cherry Berry chose her next words with great care. “I think,” she said, “you should be careful not to bring up the subject around Chrysalis when she gets back.”

“You sure?” Occupant asked. “Because noling knows changeling medicine like the Queen.”

“Yes, I’m sure,” Cherry Berry said, looking at Luna and getting a cautious nod in return. “We don’t want her to do anything drastic, now do we?”


Several days later, after Chrysalis had been coaxed back out of the Badlands and the hole in the wall of the admin building had been patched, the queen wrote a letter to Thorax, care of the Crystal Palace, Crystal Empire:

My former subject,

When we last spoke you and I exchanged some harsh words on the subject of changeling nature. Since then I have had cause to rethink my position, and I regret the things I said.

I understand you now have a good life in the Crystal Empire. This pleases me, and it pleases me that you should continue there unmolested by myself or any of my still-loyal subjects. I wish you a long, healthy, love-filled life in your new home.


But if I ever see you within a hundred miles of either the hive or Horseton, I will have your head.


Chrysalis

Author's Note:

Yeah, if the Season Six finale had come out before I started this story, likely I would never have started it.

And yeah, like almost every episode in this last season, there were plot holes large enough to throw Minmus through.

This bit has been on my mind for a couple months, but I wrote it in one two-hour session live on a Google Doc and then edited it... and then re-edited it when "import Google Doc" turned out to mean, "Link to Google Doc" instead.

As I release this the next proper chapter of CSP (which happens just before this interlude, and will be posted to read before this interlude) sits at 18,000 words, with at least another 6,000 or so to go. I hope to have it done and out before Christmas.

EDIT: Okay, at least one commenter, who has at least one person agreeing with them, disliked this as a personal screed. So, because I feel like it, here's the difference between what Chrysalis is saying and how I actually feel about "Where and Back Again."

There was no way the plan should have worked: I'm mostly in agreement on that, but not as strongly so as the ultra-cautious CSP Chrysalis. CSP Chrysalis has a lot lower tolerance for failure modes in her plotting, and the story in her dream (being written for eight-year-olds) fails her standards miserably.

For myself, I actually write CSP changelings with a bit more ability than we generally see in the cartoon, but I can't believe ordinary drones alone should be able to take out Princess Worf- er, Princess Celestia, or Luna, and emphatically not Cadance. Having them take out twelve different people in three cities in a span of time we're led to believe is only about one or two days maximum, stretches my credulity to breaking. That needed to be shown happening. We needed a proper explanation or demonstration. Instead we just have to take it on faith that it happened, with nopony being the wiser until Sunburst and Starlight Glimmer noticed the change in behavior of the replaced ponies. On the other hand, Cherry Berry does point out that it's not totally impossible. There are ways to make it work. But we got no hint of it in the actual cartoon.

"My next step in my master plan was... nothing!": Yep, again, agreed. Once Chrysalis had the kidnapped ponies under her power, even granted Discord still being at large, she should have moved against Equestria in force immediately. Instead she's content to have her infiltrators continue to do their masquerade (poorly in the case of Spike and Rainbow Dash, quite well in the case of Twilight Sparkle) and generally gloat. CSP Chrysalis being a cautious master schemer (and an addict to what in our world we'd call airport novels), she recognized just how foolish this is.

usual band of misfits: Well, to be fair, Starlight Glimmer hasn't rounded up a random crew, and they're not really misfits except for how different they are from one another. Trixie is inventive, Thorax is a native guide, and Discord is Almost-Q. Part of Chrysalis's reaction here is her disgust at the dream, and part of it is her contempt for ponykind at work.

Special convenient magic throne: This is the story's MacGuffin. It's the Death Star thermal exhaust port. It's the One Ring. And I'm in full agreement with Chrysalis here: it was very poorly conceived and presented.

"The changeling castle that I don't have": I actually liked the castle a lot. It's one of the things I really, really wish I'd seen in the cartoon before beginning this story, because it's a lot more visually interesting than caves under the desert. (Of course, it would make the whole "hiding out in the Badlands" angle go from threadbare to totally impossible to sustain... hard to hide a structure you can see from ten miles away.) My only complaint about it during the actual story lies in how our heroes got so deep into the place without being seen by a single guard or anything. Security ultra-fail.

Thorax's transformation: I have no problem with the core idea here- that once changelings learn to give love instead of merely taking it, their fundamental nature changes. It's a very good lesson for real life, especially since- let's be honest- it runs against default human nature. However, let's be blunt- Thorax's transformed mode is an affront to the eyes. The other transformed changelings are fine, but the artists didn't just drop the ball on King Thorax, they soaked it in liquid nitrogen for about thirty seconds and then spiked the thing in their own end zone.

"The idiots let me go": Chrysalis only believes in mercy when it serves her own ends. She doesn't believe it a good in and of itself. Of course she's contemptuous of the dream-ponies for letting her go, just as almost every bad guy mocks the good guy who had the chance to kill the baddie and chose otherwise, allowing said baddie to return. To me Chrysalis is a more convincing and interesting character as a self-centered bad guy. I like to think she's capable of some affection or loyalty, but it absolutely has to be on her terms. Chrysalis having joined the reformed changelings would have been even less satisfying or credible than Discord's heel-face turn in Keep Calm and Flutter On. So, yeah, if we want her back as a villain in the future, letting her go, tactically idiotic as it is, becomes a storytelling necessity. And, yes, it's wholly in character for the ever-optimistic ponies to do.

Changeling magic doesn't work that way!: In Changeling Space Program I've already established, in a number of ways, that it doesn't. In CSP changelings can be genuinely friendly towards non-changelings. They have affection and camaraderie for one another. They have a system by which one group brings in the food and it's distributed among the others as the queen sees fit. Changeling love doesn't nourish other changelings. Changelings can sense, and in some cases derive nourishment from, non-love emotions. All of these points got Jossed by the Season 6 finale, and the finale also ended matters so that it was impossible to just edit past chapters and say, "All of this takes place after Season 6."

But the thing is, I have no problem with changelings working like that in the cartoon. Most of the stuff presented in the cartoon made sense, especially combined with prior changeling appearances. The problem is, when I began the story we didn't have any of that, and so I, like other fanfic writers in the absence of defined facts about my subject, rolled my own.

And I'm VERY strongly in favor of fanfics adhering as closely to canon as possible, except for deliberate alternate-universe views. If Season Six's finale had aired before I began writing CSP... I would never have written it. Period.

But, as you noticed, I'm not closing the door entirely on elements of the finale from coming into CSP. Nor am I outright saying CSP Chrysalis is irredeemable. I did not drop the mention of Occupant's glittery wings in just for a cheap joke.

PreviousChapters Next