• Published 12th Apr 2016
  • 504 Views, 9 Comments

Cheerilee and the Ponyville Schoolhouse Musical - BroadwayBound



Cheerilee has important decisions to make in order to help her students shine!

  • ...
 9
 504

The Story

Cheerilee and the Ponyville Schoolhouse Musical
By BroadwayBound

A media tie-in short story for children
All characters are trademarks of Hasbro Entertainment
No copyright infringement intended
This story was written in response to a challenge from a "Writing for Children" class to create a 1000-word story.

Cheerilee turned from the chalkboard to face the eager faces of the fillies and foals in her class. She had served as the Ponyville Schoolhouse teacher for the past several years and had known since her cutie mark had appeared as a filly, displaying three smiling daisies as a symbol of bringing joy to her students, that she was destined to be a teacher. There was no greater calling.

Taking a deep breath Cheerilee spoke once again to the class.
“I know you will all be very excited to hear what our annual Ponyville Schoolhouse musical will be.” She took in the smiles of anticipation on her student’s faces. “This year we will be staging the show Equestria! This production played in Manehatten for the past five years and was a huge hit. We will be the first school in Equestria to stage it!”

The class all clapped their hooves together and whistled sounds of delight. Everypony knew the musical Equestria! and every young filly wanted the opportunity to play one of the two leading roles: Princess Celestia and her sister Princess Luna, the rulers of their land.

Cheerilee knew that the Ponyville Schoolhouse musical was a much anticipated event and that auditions tended to be rather competitive. One light pink young filly named Diamond Tiara was particularly known for making the whole process rather difficult. She was the foal of Ponyville elite socialites Filthy Rich and Spoilt Rich. Spoilt Rich also served on the school board and her financial contributions gave her a lot of power. This often resulted in Diamond Tiara getting all the leading roles. Cheerilee really wanted other young foals to have an opportunity this year and she felt confident enough as a teacher to make it happen. She wiped perspiration from her brow.

“Many of you young foals will probably wish to play Princess Celestia or Princess Luna. However, we must remember that there are no small parts only small actors.” Cheerilee looked over in Diamond Tiara’s direction who was whispering to her best friend, grey filly Silver Spoon, about how they were the only choices for the two leading mares.

“Diamond Tiara,” called Cheerilee from the front of the schoolhouse, “I have you in mind to run the publicity for the entire show. It will be a very big and important role and therefore will not allow you the time to perform on the stage.”

Diamond Tiara opened her mouth to object when suddenly the thought of such an important role and her name and biography listed in the programme notes flashed through her mind. “Okay Miss Cheerilee,” she stated “But only if Silver Spoon can serve as my assistant” Silver Spoon, who did not want to serve as Diamond Tiara’s assistant, slumped in her chair. She knew there was no arguing with her best friend. “Fine.” agreed the teacher.

A young palomino filly, with a pink and mauve mane, named Sweetie Belle, was the classes most talented singer. Cheerilee smiled to herself satisfied that finally Sweetie Belle would have the chance to shine on stage.

“Okay my little ponies, auditions will be the day after tomorrow, the character list is posted on the schoolhouse noticeboard and we will begin rehearsals in three days. I cannot wait to stage such an important show with you all!” singsonged Cheerilee.

After the final bell and after every other pony had gone home Cheerilee packed her teaching saddlebag and trotted towards her cottage, only a few blocks from the Ponyville Schoolhouse.

Her dear friend, light grey stallion, Royal Riff, with a white haired coif and cutie mark symbol of two musical treble clefs met her at the garden path. He looked up at her from the shiny jewels which lead the way up to the cottage door (a current trend from the Crystal Empire) and smiled. “Long day?” he asked.

“Well, everypony knows the news now and we will be the first school in Equestria to stage, well, Equestria!” Cheerilee let out a giggle at the overuse of their kingdom’s name. “Thank you for agreeing to serve as Music Director!”

“I wouldn’t be true to my cutie mark,” said Royal Riff, “if I didn’t keep my love of music alive through helping others. Just like you do with your teaching, Cheerilee. You’re the best!”

Cheerilee furrowed her brow and made a face that Royal Riff knew meant that she was feeling guilty about something. “I’m not so sure if I have been the best teacher today” she confessed.

“What’s up?” questioned Royal Riff and together they trotted into her cottage and seated themselves on her comfortable sofas in a room decorated with books.

“I have manipulated the system so that Diamond Tiara cannot star in another Ponyville Schoolhouse musical and I don’t know if that is right. I know it’s fair to let another pony have a chance but should I have interfered so much?” Cheerilee sipped on some chamomile tea.

“I think there would be a revolt if Diamond Tiara was the lead once more. We have seen her belt out the leads in Hello Filly, Wicked: the untold story of Nightmare Moon, Whinnie Get Your Gun, and Annie the Orphan Filly! Enough is enough. Listen, do you believe Diamond Tiara will grow from running the publicity for the show?”

“Why yes, of course, I am not trying to punish her!” Cheerilee exclaimed

“There you go,” smiled Royal Riff “And now another pony can have a chance to shine. This is a win-win situation.” Royal Riff always knew how to cheer up his friend when she had a difficult day at school.

Over the next two months Cheerilee, Royal Riff and the Ponyville Schoolhouse fillies and foals rehearsed Equestria the musical! Sweetie Belle had been selected to play the role of Princess Celestia. They sang through their songs, choreographed dance numbers, painted sets, made props and learned more about the founding of their land. A land that was built on the magic of friendship and continued to prosper through ponies of all colors and backgrounds using their destined cutie marks to make a difference in the lives of their fellow citizens. Cheerilee was proud to play her part as a teacher of the next generation.

When at last opening night came Cheerilee could only smile and feel pleased that Diamond Tiara had used her power and influence to get not only their local princess, Twilight Sparkle, to attend but Princesses Celestia and Luna themselves. It was quite the honor. This was what it meant to help her students shine -whether on or off the stage. And as Sweetie Belle, a young filly who had been in the shadow of another pony for too long stepped out confidently on stage and beautifully sang, Equestria, My Home, Cheerilee knew that the future of her kingdom was in good hands.

The End.

Comments ( 9 )

Added to the Diamond Cutters group, because yay, DT!

It is a bit of a shame this isn't a longer story. Say one that showed a bit more about the time between casting and opening night instead of just giving us a brief bit of telling of how it all turned out. It could easily run two or three concurrent plot threads. The first would be Sweetie dealing with her unwillingness to sing in front of a crowd. That would provide for some good Cheerilee mentoring moments and allow us to see Sweetie grow. The second could be lots of silly cuteness with DT and Spoon as they promote the show in all sorts of zany ways sure to drive Cheerilee near-insane :pinkiecrazy: Like how DT and Sil manage to get the princesses to show up. Ideally with part of the DT/Spoon arc being DT relying on Sil as more than just an assistant.

Also, a minor suggestion: When you introduce Royal Riff, you right away mention what his cutie mark is. I'd suggest moving that two paragraphs later, when he talks about being true to his cutie mark. Something like:
“I wouldn’t be true to my cutie mark,” said Royal Riff, glancing at the double treble clefs that adorned his flank, "....
Would flow a bit better, I think, more worked into the story, rather than a quick description info dump when he's first introduced.

I agree, it should be developed further. I wrote this story in response to a children's writing class challenge to create a 1000-word story. :scootangel:

Ideally, I would love to develop it further into a G.M Berrow length children's chapter book. The missing time-frame is all in my head.

Thank you for your feedback!

7118414 That explains it. Stories for the very young do tend to be short and telly.

The site rules allow for a majorly more developed version of a story to be published as its own story, so hopefully you'll find the time to develop it further in the future. And then I can add that to the group as well :twilightsmile:

No objections from Spoiled?

7118455
Sounds great! Thanks :twilightsmile:

Comment posted by BroadwayBound deleted Apr 12th, 2016

Not half bad, though I wish it could be expanded on a bit more.

7119331

I will have to come back to it and develop it into the children's chapter book it deserves! I wrote this story in response to a writing for children class challenge to create a 1000-word story. :scootangel:

Thanks!

Login or register to comment