• Published 31st Mar 2016
  • 281 Views, 1 Comments

Around the world in 80 gallops - BPM



At the height of Rainbow Dash's career as a Wonderbolt, she bites off a rather large cookie.

  • ...
 1
 281

Part 1

"Rainbow, you know, you've really come unto your own as a Wonderbolt." Spitfire walked into Rainbow's tent in her military blazer.

"Spitfire..." Rainbow smiled in response while preparing for the Rainboom she was scheduled to perform at this year's solstice celebration. "Thanks. But I would have never come as far as I did without you pushing me harder every step of the way."

Fleetfoot, Soarin, and Blaze followed Spitfire into Rainbow's tent.

"You've demonstrated qualities befitting a leader, Rainbow Dash." Spitfire smiled, falling into line with the other Wonderbolts.

"The integrity that a Wonderbolt stands for." Fleetfoot reddened, remembering the events all those years ago in the qualifiers for the Crystal Empire's Equestria Games.

"The ability that a Wonderbolt is known for." Soarin added.

"The heroism that sets a Wonderbolt apart from the rest." Blaze smiled from under her goggles.

"Guys... what is this?" Rainbow turned around, her hooves hovering slightly nearer to the ground.

"After the performance today, we've decided that you will be the next leader of the Wonderbolts." Spitfire announced. "We've talked about it extensively with the other core members, and everyone is in agreement."

"OmigoshOmigoshOmigosh!" Rainbow's breathing intensified. "I don't know what to say- It's always been my dream to-" The realization that Spitfire would have to step down dawned on her. "Oh, but...what will happen to you, Spitfire?"

Spitfire smiled. "I was the one who suggested it. I'm not getting younger, Rainbow Dash. Even the crowds have noticed I've been slowing down lately. It's time I retire."

Rainbow's wings flapped faster and faster. "Then that means I... I'm going to be..."

"Our leader. Though if I say so myself Rainbow Dash, you've been leading us this whole time." Spitfire removed the emblem off of her jacket that represented the Wonderbolt commanding officer. "We'll have a formal ceremony after the festivities today, but for now..." She pinned the emblem on the front of Rainbow's Wonderbolt uniform.

Rainbow's voice became unexpectedly shrill as she could barely contain her excitement. She flitted back and forth, unable to stay still for even a moment. "I promise I won't let you down!"

"Wonderbolts at attention!" Spitfire and her company snapped to attention, saluting their new leader.

Meanwhile, outside the tent, a familiar pony was listening in...

"So Dash is the new leader of the Wonderbolts, huh..." Her yellow and golden tail swished as Lightning Dust faded into the shadows.

---

Rainbow readied her wings to launch off the platform. How many times had she performed the rainboom? She chuckled to herself. Scootaloo went crazy every time she saw it. She looked to Twilight. Seeing her friendly smile, it was usually enough to give her the confidence she needed to calm her nerves. But not today. She had all the confidence she needed, shining as a badge of honor upon her uniform. The lightning bolt - her cutie mark, and a symbol of leadership in the Wonderbolts. Her dream had finally been realized. She crouched down, waiting for Twilight's signal to take off.

"Stop!!!" A voice shouted from amidst the crowd. Everyone looked around to see that familiar face. The disgraced reserve of the Wonderbolts that never made it into their ranks. Lightning Dust. But she wasn't there alone. She brought with her a whole host of Shadowbolts that crashed into the stands and balloons set up for the celebration.

"Lightning Dust!" Rainbow Dash cried out. "What are you doing here?"

"Why else would I be here, Rainbow?" Lightning sneered. "After you ratted me out at the Wonderbolt Academy, I couldn't ever forget that humiliation. The disgrace! I tried to forget - believe me." Lightning paced, on the ground, slowly towards Rainbow. "I tried to forget. But who could forget you, Rainbow Dash? The rising star of the Wonderbolts. The element of loyalty. You even have a seat at the Princess of Friendship's table! Unforgettable."

Rainbow Dash stood tall, standing her ground.

"But we know what you really are, don't we Dash?" Lightning Dust goaded. "You were my wingpony back at the academy. And do you know why?"

"Rainbow needed to learn to wor-" Spitfire started.

"SILENCE!" Lightning Dust shouted over her, and a nearby Shadowbolt tackled Spitfire to the ground.

"Spitfire!" Rainbow cried out. "What do you want, Lightning Dust?"

"Do you know WHY?! Rainbow Dash!?" Lightning Dust began to talk more and more feverishly, accelerating her strides approaching Rainbow faster. "I was better than you. ME. And what's this I hear? You're becoming the leader of the Wonderbolts? HA! What a joke!"

"You take that back!" Rainbow retorted.

"Is that the best you've got?" Lightning snickered. "The Wonderbolts have fallen far, to name little Rainbow Dash as their leader."

"Rainbow could fly circles around you!" An orange pony from the crowd interrupted.

"And who is this?" Lightning wheeled around, looking for the source of the noise. "Ah, the flightless bird! It seems the very company you keep is evident of your ineptitude."

The Shadowbolts laughed.

"Scootaloo! Stand down!" Rainbow looked genuinely worried now.

"The Wonderbolts were once the paragon of Equestria's fliers. Now look at the state of them. Even this orange pheasant made it into the reserves. HA!" Lightning Dust paced her way back to Rainbow. "This institution is clearly outdated and in need of new leadership." Lightning looked around at the crowd. "Do you not think so? How many times has this... Rainbow performed the sonic rainboom for you? Has it not gotten stale? How many times will the same parlor trick amuse you?"

"As if you could perform one!" Scootaloo resisted the Shadowbolt currently on top of her.

"I could never see myself performing something so tacky, filthy grebe." Lightning Dust spat at Scootaloo's face. "Progress waits for nopony! If we let ourselves sit in idle lethargy, we will never be as strong, or as fast as we could be!"

Scootaloo found her way out of the Shadowbolt's grip and flew up next to Rainbow. "If you're so confident, why don't we put it to the test?"

Lightning Dust grinned. "And what might the ostrich have in mind, I wonder?"

"A race!" Scootaloo demanded.

"Oh? A race? And what are the stakes?" Lightning mused.

Rainbow Dash looked at her protege. Scootaloo had absolute faith in her. She looked to Spitfire and the rest of her team. Taking a deep breath, she stepped forward.

"You want to beat me so bad? Now's your chance."

"Oh, but let's make it a little more interesting." Lightning flew up into Rainbow's face. "Yes... If I win, I want you to disband the Wonderbolts forever. Something like that, only the leader can do."

Shocked, Rainbow looked to Spitfire. Angered, Spitfire nodded her approval.

".... Very well. I, Rainbow Dash, vow that if I lose in this race, I'll give up my position as leader of the Wonderbolts and disband the team forever. But in return, if I win, you and any Shadowbolt will never fly again in Equestrian air space."

Lightning Dust smiled. She looked to Princess Twilight.

"Are you sure, Rainbow Dash? The Wonderbolts..." Twilight began.

"Twilight, it's fine. There are some things that have to be settled with action." Rainbow responded, confident in her abilities.

"Well... if everyone is okay with it..." Twilight said, dismayed at this turn of events.

Lightning shed her malicious grin for all to see.

"I accept, Rainbow Dash."

"Great. Where do you want to race to?"

"Here."

"...what?"

"You'll race here."

"I don't get it."

Lightning Dust rolled her eyes. "For the so called fastest pony in Equestria, you sure are slow. You will race around the world, back to exactly this spot."

The crowd gasped. Whispers of an uncertain future could be heard throughout the square.

"That's never been done before..."

"Is that even possible...?"

"In a single flight?"

"Won't she get lost?"

"No you fool, she's Rainbow."

The mumurs of the crowd quieted down after awhile, allowing Lightning to speak.

"Of course Dash, you could forfeit and give up..." Lightning added.

Rainbow Dash gave a short chuckle. "Is that all? I thought you'd come up with something more challenging." Rainbow radiated confidence. "Are you even sure you'll make the trip?"

"Oh, you won't be racing me, Rainbow Dash."

Rainbow was taken aback. "But if I'm not racing you, who am I racing?"

"No one."

"How is it a race if I'm not racing anyone?"

"You'll be racing that." Lightning pointed to the sun.

"What?"

"If you can circle the globe in 24 hours, you will have beaten the sun."

For the first time that day, Rainbow faltered. To circle the globe in 24 hours? She wasn't even sure if that was remotely possible. Lightning smiled.

"Feeling a little bit uncertain, are we? You can still drop out, you know."

"Rainbow can do it! She'll show you! She accepts!" Scootaloo shouted.

"Well I guess we have our answer. We'll come back tomorrow at noon to officially see you off- or to say good-bye forever. Good luck, Dash." Lightning Dust and her Shadowbolts lifted off and flew into the distance.

Comments ( 1 )

Oh boy, Lightning Dust is a cheeky little thing isn't she. A race around the world in only 24 hours. No idea how big their entire world is but that's going to be cutting it close even fro Rainbow Dash.

Login or register to comment