• Published 8th Mar 2016
  • 952 Views, 18 Comments

Wanderlust - DwarvishPony



A baby dragon develops the urge to see the world and travels to strange new parts of Equestria and beyond. Along the way, he meets new faces and old, learning what it means to find yourself.

  • ...
1
 18
 952

7. Spooky Sounds

Spike hadn't cleaned this fast in his entire life. It must have been mere seconds for spike to disassemble his tent, pack his things, and even tie the cloth to his stick (while running, no less). Spike wasn't sure what direction he was running. He didn't really care, either. Creatures were making noises in the foliage behind him. Whatever it was, it was fast enough to keep up with Spike.

Through the brush ran Spike, who could care less about the noise he made as he did so. The Thing was hot on his heels. Spike could hear it behind him. It would head to his left, making him turn away. Then his right. A small thought in the back of Spike's mind made him want to break down in tears. It's herding me towards something. I bet it's the monster's nest! Okay, small thought is downplaying it a bit too much. In all honesty, this was the only thing Spike could think of as he dodged between trees.

Then, without warning, Spike was free of the trees. And the ground. He'd accidentally run straight off a steep hillside. Down and down the dragon tumbled, head over heel. Thank goodness I'm a scaly dragon. A strangely lucid part of Spike thought.

When Spike rolled to a stop, he didn't even bother to check his scrapes and cuts. He hastily grabbed his possessions as the small predator following him deftly made it's way down the hillside. Spike made the heartbreaking decision to leave his Power Ponies comic behind. He promised himself to come back for the mint-in-package comic if he survived this new ordeal. Unfortunately the Thing after Spike was too close to risk grabbing it.

Back through the forest ran Spike. This area was clearly not as widely used by the local wildlife. Sharp thorns and loose rocks threatened to slow the purple dragon enough for the Predator to catch him. Spike risked a glance back.

Only to see that the Creature was mere feet behind him! Spike put on a burst of speed, terror giving him a sort of draconic super-speed (Blue would have been proud). Looking back later, Spike would tell the story as if he'd been flying above the undergrowth.

Spike broke free of the the forest, not sure of where he came out at. In his haste, however, he tripped over something and fell to his knees. Spike's awareness of the world around him sharpened to crystal clarity. A clickety-clack sound kinda confused Spike. Forests don't make clickety clack sounds. That sounded more like a...

"Train!" Spike stared in terror at the approaching locomotive. Spike knew he'd get flattened. This was it. A dragon pancake would be all that was left. Spike clenched his eyes shut in acceptance and waited for the end. The train hit Spike.

Being hit by a train didn't hurt nearly as much as Spike thought it would. It was kinda gentler than the dragon expected. And for some reason he went sideways when it hit. And he could still hear it.

A warm, moist sensation passed over Spike's face. Warily, Spike opened one eye. Then the other when Spike needed to confirm what he was looking at.

"Winona?" Spike stared in shock. "What are you doing out here?" Winona barked happily in response.

"Wait... Were you the one following me?" Another bark. Spike laughed nervously. "You didn't scare me that much. I just... needed to go for my nightly run." Spike lied.

Winona tilted her head to the side, as if to say she wasn't buying it. Instead she stood, walked in a brief circle, and crossed the tracks now that the train had passed by. A moment later she came back holding something gently in her mouth, which she then dropped into Spike's lap. It was Spike's Power Ponies comic! Spike gave Winona a hug.

"Did A.J. send you to come with me?" Winona barked in response. "Well, I won't complain. Let's go girl."

Author's Note:

Current Location: How should I know? By a train track?