• Published 8th Mar 2016
  • 951 Views, 18 Comments

Wanderlust - DwarvishPony



A baby dragon develops the urge to see the world and travels to strange new parts of Equestria and beyond. Along the way, he meets new faces and old, learning what it means to find yourself.

  • ...
1
 18
 951

9. Applewood Arrival

Spike was enjoying today. And the last few days, if were to stop and think about it. He was now on day five of his journey, and with Winona alongside him, Spike felt like nothing could go wrong.

After all, the weather had been bright and sunny since the storm, he now had two companions to talk with (even if neither would answer in real words. At least Winona would bark in response.), and he could finally make out the words of a sign he'd wanted to see in person since as far back as he could remember.

The Applewood sign.

Spike had only ever seen Las Pegasus in movies and comics. Now he was going to see it in person! He quickened his pace, laughing giddily the closer he got to the city. It was still miles off, but that wasn't going to stop Spike from jogging the entire way there!

~~~

"We made it!" Spike hopped into the air with joy. "Come on, Winona!"

Using the word bustling to describe the city of Las Pegasus would have been putting it mildly. The city was positively alive. Ponies moved about at all hours of the day and night. It had been said that Las Pegasus was a city that never slept. With so much to do in the city, Spike could easily believe that claim.

The city was a marvel in-itself. A blend of pegasus and earth pony ingenuity. Roughly half of the city was what one would consider 'normal', with it's tall buildings and concrete streets. The rest of the city was clearly pegasus built, with it's use of cloud buildings and floating streets. Most amazingly, though, was the fact that it was not just pegasi using the cloud half of the city. Unicorns and earth ponies could be seen walking the cloud districts as if Twilight had cast her cloud walking spell.

"I gotta see how they do that." Spike pointed to the clouds, wondering how in Equestria the little ponies without wings didn't plummet through said clouds. Winona simply cocked her head to the side.

Off they went. Spike was eager to see as many sights as he could, and afternoon had already settled on the city by the time they had arrived. The crowded streets were bustling with afternoon traffic, not unlike Manehattan actually. Carriages packed the streets, with angry passengers yelling at others as if that would ease the congestion of the streets. Vendors of all kinds offered Spike various goods as he walked by.

"Get your Applewood shirts here!"

"See the stars! Applewood tours for cheap, kid!"

"I got some cheap tickets to the new musical in town."

The last one creeped Spike out. He wasn't in a booth like the rest of the vendors, he was standing in a dimly lit alleyway. The dragon quickened his pace. Winona let out a low bark as if to warn the scruffy alley pony to stay in said alley.

Overall, though, Spike was mesmerized by the city. This must be how Rarity felt when she went to Manehattan for the first time.

Rarity. Spike felt his stomach drop a bit. He missed his friends. 'Come to think of it, I promised Fluttershy I'd write. Everypony's probably worried.'

"Winona, we should find a place to stay the night." Winona barked happily in response. "Yeah, I'm ready to sleep in a bed again too. Gotta find a place that lets pets stay too, though." Another bark of agreement.

The duo set off in search of a place to spend the night. Tomorrow the adventure would really begin, as Spike had already begun to plan how he would spend his visit to the illustrious city.

Author's Note:

Current Location: Las Pegasus