• Published 8th Mar 2016
  • 951 Views, 18 Comments

Wanderlust - DwarvishPony



A baby dragon develops the urge to see the world and travels to strange new parts of Equestria and beyond. Along the way, he meets new faces and old, learning what it means to find yourself.

  • ...
1
 18
 951

1. Conversational Confessions

"Hey Twilight? Can I talk to you about something?" Spike sat across from the Princess of Friendship at the dinner table, having barely touched his food. He idly poked at it with a claw, while resting his head on his other hand. He stared down at his plate, rather than Twilight.

"You can talk to me about anything, Spike. What is it?" The lavender alicorn wore a concerned expression. She could tell something had been bothering Spike, but wasn't sure how to approach the situation. She was somewhat relieved that Spike had spoken first.

"I think I need to go somewhere." Spike looked Twilight in the eyes. Actually saying the words affirmed the thoughts he had been having for the last week or so.

"It would be nice to take a vacation. And I'm sure Starlight Glimmer would love to come with us." Twilight relaxed slightly, presuming that Spike was suffering from a mild case of cabin fever.

"No. I don't mean a vacation. I mean... I don't know exactly what I mean. I just need to go somewhere."

"Spike... Is something wrong?" Twilight felt her chest tighten. The thought of Spike leaving terrified her. Spike was a baby dragon after all. He wasn't ready for the world. He was too young. A myriad of reasons why Spike shouldn't go flooded the princess' mind.

"Yeah- No. Nothing's wrong, really." Spike reassured his best friend. "I just... Ya know how sometimes you read one of your science books and you have to try and do the same experiment you read, just to see if things turn out the same?"

"Of course. That's just good science." Twilight responded, unsure of where Spike was going with his conversation.

"Well, that's kinda what's happening to me. But instead of reading a book, it's my legs." Spike explained as best he could. "Like when your leg falls asleep, and the best way of waking it up is to walk around."

"That... makes sense, I guess." Twilight steeled herself with a deep breath before asking the question that lingered at the forefront of her mind. "Where will you go?"

"I- I don't know. I haven't really thought about it. I think I just need to see new stuff. Every time the Map has called you or A.J. or somepony else to somewhere, I've always stayed behind. I think its just my turn to go on an adventure, ya know?"

"Spike..." Twilight could empathize where her friend was coming from. Nopony wanted to be left out. And now that she thought about it, Spike had no cutie mark. Twilight wasn't sure there was a way for the cutie map to summon Spike. She supposed that bringing Spike on one of the adventures the map summoned her to wouldn't affect whatever problems needed to be solved, but as she looked at her number one assistant's expression she knew that wasn't what Spike was looking for.

"Go." Twilight said after a brief, painful silence.

Spike looked back at his friend with a mixture of awe and trepidation. For a moment, he didn't do anything. Finally he stood, walked around the table, and hugged Twilight tightly.

"Thanks Twilight." Spike said in relief.

"Of course, Spike." Twilight replied, turning her head away so Spike couldn't see the tears welling up in her eyes.

Author's Note:

Current Location: Ponyville


I have realized that all the random story ideas in my head don't really involve Spike. Spike needs more love, and now that I've started this story I have fallen in love with it. I'm going to try and stick to a daily update regiment with this one*.

* I don't have a good track record with scheduling.