• Published 8th Mar 2016
  • 951 Views, 18 Comments

Wanderlust - DwarvishPony



A baby dragon develops the urge to see the world and travels to strange new parts of Equestria and beyond. Along the way, he meets new faces and old, learning what it means to find yourself.

  • ...
1
 18
 951

6. Cozy Camping

Compared to yesterday, today was a fantastic day. The sun was shining brightly, the early autumn sun warming Spike and adding a slight bounce to his step. Spike was moving at a leisurely pace, having fun splashing in the puddles left from last night's storm.

"I shoulda waited a day to leave, Blue!" Spike addressed the stuffed toy, who had dried by the fire last night and now rode with Spike's other belongings. "I wouldn't have ended up in the river last night." Blue, of course, didn't respond. After all, stuffed hedgehogs don't speak.

Spike walked for some time keeping a light conversation with Blue, not caring that it was entirely one-sided. As he made his way along the river's edge, the area surrounding him slowly changed from an open grassy field to a forested area. Spike recognized it as the site of the Running of the Leaves.

"Speaking of the Running of the Leaves, Its coming up pretty soon, Blue. You think we'll be able to catch it?" No response again. "Yeah, I think we'll miss this year's. Ah well." Spike stared up at the brilliant red and orange leaves, falling into a comfortable silence.

~~~

Nightfall came all too quickly for Spike. He'd rather been enjoying his travel that day. He set up a small campsite in a clearing off the main road through the forest. The cloth that formed his carrying pouch was propped up with two sticks and held down by some rocks to create a small makeshift tent. A circle of stones created a fire pit to both warm Spike and illuminate the area while he ate a dinner of canned apples.

"This is pretty sweet. A guy could get used to roughing it." Spike said to nobody in particular. He let out a small belch, laughing at being able to not bother with table manners. Spike finished the remainder of his meal and patted his full belly. He lay back and stared upwards through the gaps in the branches above.

Above Spike was a myriad of stars. Spike stared, mesmerized. There was enough light in Ponyville that he never got to see this many stars. Even Fluttershy's cottage didn't offer a view this fantastic.

Fluttershy. Spike felt a twinge of sadness in his gut. He wondered how everyone back home was doing. It had only been two days, but was everyone worried already? I wonder if anypony followed me this time? Spike idly wondered. Nah. Somepony would have fished me out of the river last night. Spike shuddered at the recent memory. Ah well. I'd probably be a little mad at them if they followed.

Spike's campfire was nothing but glowing embers by now. In the warmth of the dying fire, the dragon drifted off into a comfortable sleep.

~~~

Some hours later, Spike jolted awake. The moon shone brightly upon Spike, who chastised himself for falling asleep in the garden again. He rubbed his eyes sleepily.

"Wha- Twilight. Why didn't you take me inside?" Spike grumbled sleepily. His eyes adjusted to the light slowly, revealing his campsite. "Right... not at the castle." Spike rolled over and crawled towards his tent. "Need more," A yawn punctuated his words, "sleep."

He'd just gotten into the tent when a rustling from the brush caught Spike's attention. Normally, Spike was a heavy sleeper, but when spooky noises were involved, Spike slept lighter than Twilight during a good book. Which is to say, he didn't sleep.

More rustling from the bushes. Spike stared in fear, breaking out in a cold sweat. Whatever was in the forest, it was coming closer.

Author's Note:

Current Location: Whitetail Woods