• Published 8th Mar 2016
  • 952 Views, 18 Comments

Wanderlust - DwarvishPony



A baby dragon develops the urge to see the world and travels to strange new parts of Equestria and beyond. Along the way, he meets new faces and old, learning what it means to find yourself.

  • ...
1
 18
 952

19. Pebble Problems

Trixie took a deep breath. Then another. Then a third as she continued to stall. Finally, Spike stepped forward and knocked on the door. The two were situated in front of the Pie family's home. The scent of dust and moist earth hung in the air. Another rain was scheduled to move in soon, though this one wasn't going to be anywhere near as rough as the one Spike had been caught in. Gray clouds covered the sky.

"Spike! Why'd you do that? Trixie isn't ready, I'm not ready I- Hello, Mister and Missus Pie." Trixie switched from nervous-breakdown-mode to warm-and-friendly-mode nearly immediately. A cold bead of sweat could still be seen making it's way down her forehead as she grinned as warly as she could, which in this case meant her smile was borderline psychopathic.

"Trixie. It has been many months since we have last seen ye." A dull brown stallion remarked, with a tone that somepony would use when offhandedly saying 'it looks like it may rain'. "What brings ye back to these parts? Are ye looking for work again?"

Trixie blushed deeply, mumbling something akin to a 'no'. "Trixie was simply in the area and thought that maybe she could stop by and say hello." The nervous mare rubbed a foreleg against the other. "If that's okay, I mean. Trixie would hate to intrude."

Spike was dumbfounded. Every time Trixie had ever been through Ponyville, she'd been... not this. This was a completely different mare Spike was dealing with. It was like the boastful showpony had been replaced with Fluttershy.

"Truly, ye are always welcome, Trixie. Please, tell us though, what is the name of ye friend here?" A light cobalt gray mare asked, presumably Missus Pie.

"I'm Spike!" The dragon stepped forward and held out a clawed hand. Neither of the ponies held out a hoof of their own. Both simply nodded politely at the dragon, who held his claw out for a few moments longer before lowering it.

"I am Igneous Rock Pie, and this be my wife, Cloudy Quartz." Igneous replied.

"Ye art welcome here, Spike." Cloudy Quartz added, which Spike was pretty sure meant 'welcome'.

"Pleasure to meet you both! Pinkie Pie's told me loads about her family!" Spike smiled.

Igneous raised an eyebrow. "Ye have met our daughter? Telleth us, how fares she?"

"Last I saw her she was good. A bit sad, but that's just because I was leaving Ponyville for a bit." Spike answered.

"This is good news." Cloudy Quartz replied evenly. "Please, enter. Mine home is thine home as well."

~~~

After a... lovely lunch of rock soup and bread, Spike found himself regaling Pinkie Pie's parents with what had happened on his adventure. Through the story, Trixie remained distant, as if preoccupied with something out the window. Igneous and Cloudy remained stone-faced through the story, showing no trace of shock at the events in Las Pegasus, nor relief when things had turned out all right.

"It sounds as if ye have had a trying time so far. Please, feel free to stay the night." Igneous offered.

"Thanks! We've been sleeping in Trixie's cart at night, so a bed would be amazing." Spike gratefully replied.

"If ye shall excuse us, we must be getting back to the fields." Cloudy said primly as she rose with her husband. The words seemed to snap Trixie out of whatever reverie she was in.

"What? But I didn't think you worked the fields yourselves anymore. Is Limestone hurt?" Trixie asked. Limestone, who Spike hadn't met yet, was the eldest daughter of the Pie family, and was also the one who handled most of the rock farm's duties nowadays.

"Nay. Limestone is unharmed. There has been an... issue, one that requires more hooves in the field as of late." Igneous replied with the slightest droop of his head.

Trixie stood abruptly. "Then we'll help too. Call it repaying you for letting us stay the night."

"Tis not necessary. We shall overcome this trying time, as we always have." Cloudy Quartz reassured Trixie.

"Trixie was not asking to help." The mare said, showing the first signs of being her usual self. "Trixie was telling you that we would help you. Just tell us what to do." Spike just wondered why it had to be a 'we'.

Author's Note:

Current Location: Pie family rock farm

Gah... I'm not too familiar with the archaic English forms of words. If anyone spots an error, can you please let me know in the comments?